Page 9 of 188 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459109 ... LastLast

Thread: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    You represent cantons in Syria as Swiss level democracies, beacons of direct representation. The reality is much different on the ground. Yet, your reaction is "so what? others do it too" which is quite hypocritical. Clearly, I'm not the one who ignores the reality of the matter.
    Well guess what, your state is run by a crypto-islamist mafia and you dare to complain how Syrian Kurds in the middle of a civil war they run their own affairs.

Terrorists are killing innocent civilians and there is a low intensity insurgency in the Kurdish regions, yet somewhat you have far more pressing matters in Syria.

Turks should be more concerned with looming financial crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by Principe Alessandro View Post
    Well guess what, your state is run by a crypto-islamist mafia and you dare to complain how Syrian Kurds in the middle of a civil war they run their own affairs.

Terrorists are killing innocent civilians and there is a low intensity insurgency in the Kurdish regions, yet somewhat you have far more pressing matters in Syria.
    Quote Originally Posted by FireElemental View Post
    Turks should be more concerned with looming financial crisis.
    These are quite childish comments. It's like shouting "your mom ... " in a discussion about quantum physics when one guy runs out of arguments. This time it's your first move. It's quite telling. People could be getting shot in the streets daily with no repercussion and that would have no bearing on what I can argue here.
    The Armenian Issue

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

No real alternative to the Syrian Kurds. The Turkish-backed rebels only have a few thousand fighters at most. They can't even take Al-Bab while being backed up with Turkish and Russian power and Turkish soldiers.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Does Trump think Kurds are winners? That may be decisive, at least for the next four years.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Civitate

i hear the SAA isnt doing so well in Deir Ezzor
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

^the sarcasm is strong.

Deir-ez-Zor is the longest siege in modern history. Bombed twice by the Americans. If ISIS captures the city and the SAA holds out in the 137Base +Airfield ISIS will have a new capital wel defended by a river.

However this was the situation last May:

It aint over but SAA is weaker now.
    Daesh will probably attempt to take Sheikh Maqsud now. They located a lot of resources for this fight. The attack started from the hill SAA lost due to coalition airstrikes. Other than that I thank coalition airstrikes in the area...
    Last edited by Flavius Julius Nepos Augustus; January 16, 2017 at 10:55 AM.
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Flavius Julius Nepos Augustus View Post
    ^the sarcasm is strong.

Deir-ez-Zor is the longest siege in modern history. Bombed twice by the Americans. If ISIS captures the city and the SAA holds out in the 137Base +Airfield ISIS will have a new capital wel defended by a river.

However this was the situation last May:

It aint over but SAA is weaker now.
    Daesh will probably attempt to take Sheikh Maqsud now. They located a lot of resources for this fight. The attack started from the hill SAA lost due to coalition airstrikes. Other than that I thank coalition airstrikes in the area...
    You mean once. Only Almasdar news and SANA claim the US bombed Syrian troops twice.

This was bound to happen. The SAA should have made an effort to relieve the cut off soldiers. I would think after what happebed at Tabqa air base they would make an effort

How many SAA are at Deir Ezzor anyways?
    Last edited by Vanoi; January 16, 2017 at 03:09 PM.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Looks isolated, outside the strategic Assad or Kurdish core areas.

The question would be if the Iranians can muster the will and mercenaries.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    You mean once. Only Almasdar news and SANA claim the US bombed Syrian troops twice.

This was bound to happen. The SAA should have made an effort to relieve the cut off soldiers. I would think after what happebed at Tabqa air base.

Mainly Republican Guard and the 137th Artillery Brigade. Those were close to 5000 once. The numbers have clearly dropped to something little over 3000. However there is an unknown number of NDF militias which are essential in holding the parts of the city. Further there were news of several reenforcements sent by helicopters. I don't know about the last batch which was a week ago or so, but last fall they've sent a larger number of conscripts who had just finished basic training. I guess at this front they won't dare to run away or surrender. From a pure tactical view actually a smart idea.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

No real alternative to the Syrian Kurds. The Turkish-backed rebels only have a few thousand fighters at most. They can't even take Al-Bab while being backed up with Turkish and Russian power and Turkish soldiers.
    It's a matter of investment... I don't see how the Euphrates Shield operation is backed by Russia though. They even bombed the ground forces.

I'm curious though. If al-Nusra managed to create a matter of stability in the region would it make its ties to al-Qaeda negligible?
    The Armenian Issue

Costin_Razvan's Avatar Campidoctor

If ISIS wins Deir Ezzor...well the Kurds will end up having a nightmare of a fight in Raqqa since ISIS will move it's troops from the river to defend Raqqa.
    "It's bizarre though. Donald Trump, an ageing, orange skinned reality TV star with a history of selling steaks and conning people, a trophy wife and one of the most fragile egos I've seen pretty much just destroyed the head of the interventionist faction in the US State apparatus, Victoria Nuland, after literally becoming President of the United states. We must live in one of the more interesting timelines."

"The Powell Doctrine is the bible of every foreign policy thinker."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powell_Doctrine

Civitate

It's a matter of investment... I don't see how the Euphrates Shield operation is backed by Russia though. They even bombed the ground forces.
    How are a group of only around 2000-3000 rebels going to replace the much bigger and much more effective SDF?

Russia has recently launched strikes in Al-Bab in support of the Turks.
    I'm curious though. If al-Nusra managed to create a matter of stability in the region would it make its ties to al-Qaeda negligible?
    Well there is the fact that current and former members the US has killed are al-Qaeda themseleves and have fought the US in the past and the US says that some still continue to plot to attack the US.

They bring stability through oppression. Just like the IS. They are terrorists. Allowing them to govern Syria will end up creating another radical Islamic state like Afghanistan under the Taliban.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

How are a group of only around 2000-3000 rebels going to replace the much bigger and much more effective SDF?
    As I said, it's a matter of investment. YPG is a beast that was created by direct inaction of Turkey earlier in the conflict and indirect inaction by other powers. YPG wasn't airlifted into the conflict with 50 thousand men strong army. They started from a few hundred.

Russia has recently launched strikes in Al-Bab in support of the Turks.
    A few recent airstrikes, yes. For months, however, they either did nothing or bombed the FSA elements in the region. To say as if the al-Bab operation has been enjoying Russian support is to rewrite the reality on the ground.

Well there is the fact that current and former members the US has killed are al-Qaeda themseleves and have fought the US in the past and the US says that some still continue to plot to attack the US.

They bring stability through oppression. Just like the IS. They are terrorists. Allowing them to govern Syria will end up creating another radical Islamic state like Afghanistan under the Taliban.
    The same is true for YPG. The current and former members Turkey has fought are PKK. The YPG fighters on the ground say it themselves that they're YPG one day, and PKK an other. PKK continues to plot attacks in Turkey as well.

YPG brings stability through love and understanding? They're quite young to the scene, yet they've already jailed the opposition, KNC, and shut down their radio station. The protests were met with water cannons. Allowing them to govern Syria will end up creating yet an other corrupt state that is a heaven for terror groups. Of course, those groups will target Turkey more than they target US, is that the deciding factor?
    The Armenian Issue

Any news of a counter attack and Russian air strikes?

This was bound to happen. The SAA should have made an effort to relieve the cut off soldiers. I would think after what happebed at Tabqa air base they would make an effort

Nope, it was a series of 37 airstrikes killing 110 conscripts and causing the loss of important territory to ISIL. Frankly I'm sick of the US military randomly murdering people abroad,, shame that the S-300 systems weren't in place.
    Last edited by Nikitn; January 17, 2017 at 02:02 AM.

Civitate

As I said, it's a matter of investment. YPG is a beast that was created by direct inaction of Turkey earlier in the conflict and indirect inaction by other powers. YPG wasn't airlifted into the conflict with 50 thousand men strong army. They started from a few hundred.
    I am assuming you have a source for the YPG only starting out with a few hundred men?

Investment? What the hell do you think the Turks and the US have been trying to do for years with the FSA? It hasn't worked. The FSA have given away to al-Nusra the very weapons we gave to support them. They suck real bad even the Southern Front who would be a better alternative to the Turkish FSA.

A few recent airstrikes, yes. For months, however, they either did nothing or bombed the FSA elements in the region. To say as if the al-Bab operation has been enjoying Russian support is to rewrite the reality on the ground.
    Has Russia supported the Al-Bab operation? Then i'm not wrong.

You ignored my point though. The FSA have had support no differnt than the SDF and yet cannot take Al-Bab.t

The same is true for YPG. The current and former members Turkey has fought are PKK. The YPG fighters on the ground say it themselves that they're YPG one day, and PKK an other. PKK continues to plot attacks in Turkey as well.
    Oh you mean that 'evidence' being some youtube video of a guy claiming to be YPG and PKK?

I am not a Turk so i couldnt care less about Turkey.

YPG brings stability through love and understanding? They're quite young to the scene, yet they've already jailed the opposition, KNC, and shut down their radio station. The protests were met with water cannons. Allowing them to govern Syria will end up creating yet an other corrupt state that is a heaven for terror groups. Of course, those groups will target Turkey more than they target US, is that the deciding factor?
    Oh man thats it? You think thats comparable to the hell the Taliban, Al-Qaeda, or the IS bring with their stability? And no these groups target Turkey more. Turkey is fighting a war with them. That should be obvious.
    Last edited by Vanoi; January 17, 2017 at 08:21 AM.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

I am assuming you have a source for the YPG only starting out with a few hundred men?
    Investment? What the hell do you think the Turks and the US have been trying to do for years with the FSA? It hasn't worked. The FSA have given away to al-Nusra the very weapons we gave to support them. They suck real bad even the Southern Front who would be a better alternative to the Turkish FSA.
    Has Russia supported the Al-Bab operation? Then i'm not wrong.
    You ignored my point though. The FSA have had support no differnt than the SDF and yet cannot take Al-Bab.t
    Oh you mean that 'evidence' being some youtube video of a guy claiming to be YPG and PKK?
    I am not a Turk so i couldnt care less about Turkey.
    Oh man thats it? You think thats comparable to the hell the Taliban, Al-Qaeda, or the IS bring with their stability? And no these groups target Turkey more. Turkey is fighting a war with them. That should be obvious.
    Sigh... These are very nonsensical arguments and points that clearly has the aim of diluting the discussion. You seem to be trying to dispute any single statements, regardless of how self evident they are, for the sake of disputing them. It's ok that you wanna defend a group with concrete ties to a terror organization (no, not based on YouTube videos, that's just your straw man). I just prefer debating it with someone who used intelligent points. The point where you think that you have to be member of a political entity to care about terrorism directed at is where it gets quite ridiculous. Makes any discussion on terror ties futile. It gets into that disgusting field of your terrorist vs. my terrorist. So, instead of enabling this back and forth attempt of yours I'll stop it here.
    The Armenian Issue

Civitate

Sigh... These are very nonsensical arguments and points that clearly has the aim of diluting the discussion. You seem to be trying to dispute any single statements, regardless of how self evident they are, for the sake of disputing them.
    Backing out because you have no source and cannot dispute my arguments?

It's ok that you wanna defend a group with concrete ties to a terror organization (no, not based on YouTube videos, that's just your straw man). I just prefer debating it with someone who used intelligent points. The point where you think that you have to be member of a political entity to care about terrorism directed at is where it gets quite ridiculous. Makes any discussion on terror ties futile. It gets into that disgusting field of your terrorist vs. my terrorist. So, instead of enabling this back and forth attempt of yours I'll stop it here.
    The Syrian rebels have ties to Al-Qaeda and you see no qualms in supporting them even though Al-nusra itself has attacked Turkey in the past.

A discussion is futile because you have no compromise wiht the Kruds whatsoever. I'm sure you would gladly pick Al-Nusra other islamist rebels over the YPG anyday.

Turkey doesn't have to fight the Kurds but chooses too. I'm just glad to know the US will continue to support the SDF against the IS while the Turkish FSA will continue to struggle in taking al-bab. Don't know how they plan on taking Manjib.
    Last edited by Iskar; January 17, 2017 at 10:35 AM. Reason: personal reference removed
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

All of Mosul east of Tigris captured, and three bridges at least. There is a pocket of isis in nineveh ruins however.

In Syria the sdf made a lot of progress, anouncing that raqqa arab tribes join them in fight against isis. Rather a fight for survival in their perspective, than an embracing of Rojava democratic federalism.

Backing out because you have no source and cannot dispute my arguments?
    The Syrian rebels have ties to Al-Qaeda and you see no qualms in supporting them even though Al-nusra itself has attacked Turkey in the past.
    A discussion is futile because you have no compromise wiht the Kruds whatsoever. I'm sure you would gladly pick Al-Nusra other islamist rebels over the YPG anyday.
    Turkey doesn't have to fight the Kurds but chooses too. I'm just glad to know the US will continue to support the SDF against the IS while the Turkish FSA will continue to struggle in taking al-bab. Don't know how they plan on taking Manjib.
    Wow... Nothing you said about my positions is true there. This further proves me right about backing out of this mess you created. Good luck.
    The Armenian Issue