Thread: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

  1. #3281

    Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

    Amed Dicle, the same journalist that targeted journalists reporting from a hotel top near the border which was targeted by YPG attacks afterwards, recently tweeted that the Kurdish Democratic People's Initiation is calling any action of Turkey as legitimate and that they would make it felt in Turkish cities. Dicle added in a second tweet, as a statement of his own, that they'd turn all parts of Turkey into hell. He later deleted that tweet.
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

    Cities: Skylines
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ities-Skylines

    "We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

  2. #3282
    Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Planet Nirn
    Posts
    4,145

    Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    https://syria.liveuamap.com/en/2019/...o-the-north-of

    SANA is reporting that the Syrian Army is headed north to face off against SNA.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKCN1G20QB

    The same rumors were circulated with Afrin. Nothing happened. Syria doesnt have enough army to capture and hold these areas

  3. #3283
    Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    15,291

    Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

    Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKCN1G20QB

    The same rumors were circulated with Afrin. Nothing happened. Syria doesnt have enough army to capture and hold these areas
    Syrian militias did try to enter Afrin. But it was a token force. And it looks like you're wrong.

    https://syria.liveuamap.com/en/2019/...russian-forces

  4. #3284

    Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

    This was ought to happen in Manbij, as YPG and SAA already had talks about Manbij in the past and SAA troops has arrived to the vicinity of Manbij months ago. I'm fine with it as long as it's not a token presence and SAA actually gains control over the region. But they should not be allowed to cross to the east of Euphrates, too late for Tall Abyad and Ras al Ain but Kobani should be encircled quickly before SAA and Russians reach there.

    Not amending the relationship with Assad is the dumbest thing the government is doing right now. Just send a delegate goddammit, make some symbolic gestures.

  5. #3285
    Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Planet Nirn
    Posts
    4,145

    Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    Syrian militias did try to enter Afrin. But it was a token force. And it looks like you're wrong.

    https://syria.liveuamap.com/en/2019/...russian-forces
    I have said it earlier. People should not expect an alliance of Assad and Kurds as long as Kurds have US airports on their soil that bomb Assadist positions. Assad have zero interest into protecting ypg. On the contrary Assad obeys to Putin who vetoed any condemnation of Turkey regarding the invasion. So we are going probably to a deal between Turkey and Russia with US and its kurdish allies being isolated in eastern Syria

  6. #3286
    Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    15,291

    Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

    Quote Originally Posted by Papay View Post
    I have said it earlier. People should not expect an alliance of Assad and Kurds as long as Kurds have US airports on their soil that bomb Assadist positions. Assad have zero interest into protecting ypg. On the contrary Assad obeys to Putin who vetoed any condemnation of Turkey regarding the invasion. So we are going probably to a deal between Turkey and Russia with US and its kurdish allies being isolated in eastern Syria
    Still wrong

    https://syria.liveuamap.com/en/2019/...n-syria-agrees

    https://syria.liveuamap.com/en/2019/...ij-countryside

    It also looks like the SAA and Turks will be getting into a fight.

    https://syria.liveuamap.com/en/2019/...-syrian-regime

    Looks lile the Turks think they can fight both the YPG and SAA.

  7. #3287

    Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

    SAA cannot fight Turkey directly without Russian support, and Russia won't risk losing Turkey while Turkey is exactly where they want it to be -alienated from the US, breaking US influence in Syria, and friendly with Russia- . There are two things that can happen, SAA will send in ground elements to east of euphrates without Russian support, just to get them massacred again, or they will see this whole thing as an opportunity to break the tight YPG, therefore US control over some lands and expand their influence, this would mean limited advance within Turkey and Russia's knowlodge.
    Last edited by Tureuki; October 13, 2019 at 04:32 PM.

  8. #3288
    nhytgbvfeco2's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    4,631

    Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

    Why would the SAA co-operate with Turkey, the official sponsor of what is left of the anti-government insurgents? You're basically saying that Assad should co-operate with those who want to remove him from power to fight against those who are fine with him being in power. Assad prefers the Kurds over Turkey's HTS buddies.


  9. #3289
    Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    15,291

    Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

    Quote Originally Posted by Tureuki View Post
    SAA cannot fight Turkey directly without Russian support, and Russia won't risk losing Turkey while Turkey is exactly where they want it to be -alienated from the US, breaking US influence in Syria, and friendly with Russia- . There are two things that can happen, SAA will send in ground elements to east of euphrates without Russian support, just to get them massacred again, or they will see this whole thing as an opportunity to break the tight YPG, therefore US control over some lands and expand their influence, this would mean limited advance within Turkey and Russia's knowlodge.
    Turks can't fight the SAA and YPG at the same time. The SAA definitely isn't as good as the Turkish Army but they don't need to be. The SNA isn't the Turkish Army and if the SAA is serious they'll be sending much more than a token force.

    There's too much for the SAA and Russians to gain for them not to try to advance across the Euphrates and take advantage of this situation. All the Russians have to do is move in their MPs and garrison forces and any territory they are sitting in will be guarded from Turkish attack. Any attacks on Russian soldiers would be met with retaliation.

  10. #3290

    Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

    Quote Originally Posted by nhytgbvfeco2 View Post
    Why would the SAA co-operate with Turkey, the official sponsor of what is left of the anti-government insurgents? You're basically saying that Assad should co-operate with those who want to remove him from power to fight against those who are fine with him being in power. Assad prefers the Kurds over Turkey's HTS buddies.
    Because as bad as the relationship between Turkey and Syria gets, Syria knows that Turkey will return whatever land that falls under Turkey's control. YPG on the other hand was trying to get as much leverage as possible to carve a state for themselves. Turkey's presence in Syria stopped being an existential crisis for Syria long ago. US backed PKK with large swathes of land is a bigger threat for Syria compared to whatever extremist element remains in Turkey backed rebels.
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

    Cities: Skylines
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ities-Skylines

    "We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

  11. #3291

    Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

    Actually without Russian approval and air support and without any kind of no-fly zone imposed by a super power, we can.

    What great gain does the Russians have there? What a few villages and towns mean to them? For the SAA that is a pride issue and that is understandable. But it is clear, and also proven in the Afrin events that SAA's pride is nothing but a nuisance for the Russians, and SAA does not have the strenght to make the Russians do things that even mildly contradicts their interests, in the current situation, Turkey is much more valuable, all they expect from the SAA is to hold what they already have, keep the ports open for Russians and survive to give the Russians a legitimate reason to stay in Syria. It would be very surprising if Russians somehow decided to do something you expect them to do, but if they do, buying a few more Russian military systems would probably make them back out.

  12. #3292
    Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    15,291

    Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

    Quote Originally Posted by Tureuki View Post
    Actually without Russian approval and air support and without any kind of no-fly zone imposed by a super power, we can.
    Obviously does have Russian approval as Russians themselves moved into Manbij. Do remember the SAA can shoot down Turkish aircraft.

    What great gain does the Russians have there? What a few villages and towns mean to them? For the SAA that is a pride issue and that is understandable. But it is clear, and also proven in the Afrin events that SAA's pride is nothing but a nuisance for the Russians, and SAA does not have the strenght to make the Russians do things that even mildly contradicts their interests, in the current situation, Turkey is much more valuable, all they expect from the SAA is to hold what they already have, keep the ports open for Russians and survive to give the Russians a legitimate reason to stay in Syria. It would be very surprising if Russians somehow decided to do something you expect them to do, but if they do, buying a few more Russian military systems would probably make them back out.
    What to gain? The US is completely withdrawing from YPG territory. Russia and Syria could easily move into YPG territory from Manbij to Dier Ezzor gaining tons of territory, oil resources, and it secures more land for the pro-government forves while leaving Turkey with a lesser hand in negociations on Syria's future.

    The worst case scenario for Russia is that Turkey doesn't pivot toward them which is already the current status quo. Turkey already bought S-400s and Russia already has gained from the rift created from Turkey and NATO. Turkey has no one to turn to at all. NATO will not help them.

  13. #3293

    Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

    Lindsey Hilsum from Channel 4 tweeted saying the following:
    We joined a mixed military/civilian convoy heading towards Ras al Ayn. We did not go all the way. As they entered the front line town a Turkish airstrike hit. I don’t know how many of these people survived.
    One of the photos she tweeted shows a YPG fighter and a car with a PKK flag. It appears that YPG put civilians and journalists in a convoy with its fighters, clearly flagging it, literally, as a target, and sent it to front lines. Even the pictures they shared to claim how Turkey hit civilians showed rifles next to bodies.

    The international media obviously bought the story and reporting that Turkey targeted civilians.
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

    Cities: Skylines
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ities-Skylines

    "We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

  14. #3294
    Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    15,291

    Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

    Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Lindsey Hilsum from Channel 4 tweeted saying the following:


    One of the photos she tweeted shows a YPG fighter and a car with a PKK flag. It appears that YPG put civilians and journalists in a convoy with its fighters, clearly flagging it, literally, as a target, and sent it to front lines. Even the pictures they shared to claim how Turkey hit civilians showed rifles next to bodies.
    A flag isnt evidence of armed fighters nor does it give Turkey the right to target civilians.

    https://syria.liveuamap.com/en/2019/...orhoods-of-the

    Syrian Forces are already in Northern Syria.

  15. #3295

    Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    A flag isnt evidence of armed fighters nor does it give Turkey the right to target civilians.
    https://syria.liveuamap.com/en/2019/...orhoods-of-the
    Syrian Forces are already in Northern Syria.
    Armed fighters are evidence of armed fighters, especially when they're travelling towards the front lines. The before and after pictures of the strike showing people with YPG uniforms and rifles is the evidence. The amount of brain twisting to keep on painting YPG as angels is mind boggling. It is not to be forgiven.
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

    Cities: Skylines
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ities-Skylines

    "We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

  16. #3296
    Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    15,291

    Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

    Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    Armed fighters are evidence of armed fighters, especially when they're travelling towards the front lines.
    So you have evidence of armed fighters? Because your own source specfically mentions it being a civilian convoy unless you are claiming Lindsey Hilsum was lying?

    The before and after pictures of the strike showing people with YPG uniforms and rifles is the evidence. The amount of brain twisting to keep on painting YPG as angels is mind boggling. It is not to be forgiven.
    No brain twisting here. You have posted zero evidence of armed fighters in that convoy and instead have tried to justify the strike. Your bias is showing so so bad.

    Both the SOHR and journalists have said it was a civilian convoy. Are they all lying?

  17. #3297

    Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    So you have evidence of armed fighters? Because your own source specfically mentions it being a civilian conovy unless you are claiming Lindsey Hilsum was lying?
    No brain twisting here. Ypu have posted zero evidence of armed fighters in that convoy.
    Both the SOHR and journalists have said it was a civilian convoy. Are they all lying?
    This is an entirely new level. We have Lindsey Hilsum tweeting and referring to the convoy as a mixed military/civilian convoy and provides a photo of it where you can see the YPG fighter. And then we have the video from the aftermath, which due to images being quite graphic I refrained from posting here, but you can easily find it only, showing rifles next to bodies of people with military uniform. You thought it was OK to alter Hilsum's words and ignore evidence. It's not.
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

    Cities: Skylines
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ities-Skylines

    "We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

  18. #3298
    Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    15,291

    Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

    Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    This is an entirely new level. We have Lindsey Hilsum tweeting and referring to the convoy as a mixed military/civilian convoy and provides a photo of it where you can see the YPG fighter.
    That convoy that was hit was full of civilians, not fighters. Thats why no armed fighters have been reported dead. I mis'read Hilsums words but yet no one is reported it an armed convoy.

    And then we have the video from the aftermath, which due to images being quite graphic I refrained from posting here, but you can easily find it only, showing rifles next to bodies of people with military uniform. You thought it was OK to alter Hilsum's words and ignore evidence. It's not.
    I posted numerous sources before you all describing the convoy that was hit as full of civilians, not armed fighters. Every desciption of the attack does not once say armed fighters were hit.

  19. #3299

    Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

    BREAKING NEWS; KURDS TO JOIN WITH ASSAD AND RUSSIANS TO PROVIDE AIR COVER

    Man, them Turks got played; Putin is a master Russian 8D Chess Grandmaster
    Syrian army moving to face 'Turkish aggression' in country's north – state media
    The Kurdish-led administration in northern Syria said in a statement that an agreement has been reached with Damascus for the Syrian government troops to be deployed along the border with Turkey.
    The Syrians will deploy to the strategic Kurdish-held border town of Kobani within 48 hours, Lebanese broadcaster al-Mayadeen reported. RT’s sources in the region also confirmed the reports.
    The Syrian army already entered the city of Manbij in the northern province of Aleppo late on Sunday, al-Mayadeen reported. The Kurd militiamen let the government troops pass through their checkpoints unhampered.The distance between Manbij and Kobani is around 60 milometers, a one-hour car drive.
    Turkey is going to come under intense pressure now that Syrian troops are heading to the north, believes Joshua Landis, director of the Center for Middle East Studies at the University of Oklahoma.
    “The Syrian government is going to try to go across and get the oilfields, the gas fields that are so crucial for Syria’s economic well-being. Also, this is prime agricultural land as the Euphrates River flows down here. The Tabqa Dam that the Americans and the Kurds held, the Syrian government is going to want to take that back as well,” he listed.
    https://www.rt.com/news/470859-syria...key-agression/

  20. #3300

    Default Re: ISIL War in Iraq and Syria II

    Quote Originally Posted by Vanoi View Post
    That convoy that was hit was full of civilians, not fighters. Thats why no armed fighters have been reported dead. I mis'read Hilsums words but yet no one is reported it an armed convoy.
    I posted numerous sources before you all describing the convoy that was hit as full of civilians, not armed fighters. Every desciption of the attack does not once say armed fighters were hit.
    This is like the Bible approach. Bible is the truth. Why? Because the bible says so... You posted two links. One to a Hareetz article and an other to a Syria Live Map point. Two is not really numerous. Neither of those two links mentioned YPG fighters, right? Yet, Hilsum, pointing out that she was there, called it a mixed convoy, providing pictures that include YPG fightes. There is also a bloody video on Twitter 1 minute 2 seconds long that show the casualties. I could count at least 4 dead with 3 surely next to their rifles. One of them was strapped to a machine gun. Initially they started posting that video but realizing that it was not helping the civilian convoy narrative they switched to an other video of one of the guys that is seen in the first video being carried away from the site with the video not coming close to the impact site to avoid showing the bodies in the first one. You seriously need a reality check on this topic. I shouldn't be correcting such fundamental points about what you're talking about.
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

    Cities: Skylines
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ities-Skylines

    "We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •