Thread: Which DoW1 game?

Default Which DoW1 game?

I'm new to 40K but love RTS and always wanted to get into 40K. I want to get a game from the Dawn of War franchise and am confused as to what all the different ones do. I want as much content as possible, so what should I get? I read that DoW2 is more simplified and doesn't have base building, so I'm more interested in DoW1. What should I get? GOTY? Winter Assault? Dark Crusade? I want one with an active MP as well, if possible. What do you recommend?

Thanks!
    Art finds her own perfection within, and not outside of herself. She is not to be judged by any external standard of resemblance. She is a veil, rather than a mirror. -Oscar Wilde

Iron Aquilifer's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Which DoW1 game?

Master Collection is your best bet. I remember there being an issue with you being unable to fully play all the factions of Soulstorm if you didn't have the previous titles. This is definitely true of multiplayer. However Dark Crusade and before all have better campaigns. However Soulstorm obviously wins out in the numbers of races and depth of each one. It's £15 on the uk steam store so I'd imagine it's not too dissimilar ($15-20 range). Definitely worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply!
    I can only get one since I'm on a budget. If the main differences are campaigns and Soulstorm has the most factions, wouldn't it be the best choice? It says on steam that it doesn't require previous versions.
    Art finds her own perfection within, and not outside of herself. She is not to be judged by any external standard of resemblance. She is a veil, rather than a mirror. -Oscar Wilde

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Soulstorm is the best choice.

But if you can, buy all the titles .. they are simply gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Soulstorm is the best choice.

But if you can, buy all the titles .. they are simply gorgeous!
    Dark Crusade is the best in terms of quality, so I'd get at least that one. I have all four versions, the best one (but also more difficult) is Dark Crusade with the Firestorm over Kronus mod installed. It's possible that they've released a version for Soulstorm recently, haven't checked in a while.

soulstorm for the ultimate apocalypse mod!
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Soulstorm for the mods, Dark Crusade for the better campaign
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Meh get DoW2 retribution.