Thread: Will Native factions advance post-contact?(and more Q's)

Icon5 Will Native factions advance post-contact?(and more Q's)

I was wondering if the advancement features for the Apache/Chichimec in the Americas Expansion will be implemented for all natives in his release?
    Honestly, there's no reason for other groups to not adapt as well, that's what humans do after all. It would make a lot of sense if all factions would come to adopt horses, gunpowder, superior metallurgy, etc, over time.

This is my main question about native units, but I also was curious about variety. Will the Inca and Tarascans(Purepecha) have access to metal weapons from the start, as they did historically. Will the aztecs, Inca, etc be having slingers(which the conquistadors noted as being especially effective against their plate armour).

Will you be doing custom settlements for the eastern woodland natives (like Cherokee), or keeping the inaccurate Tipi's of the vanilla game?

Oh gods, so many questions, and all about the Natives. Do you guys need any help researching native culture/architecture/warfare/etc?

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Will Native factions advance post-contact?(and more Q's)

Hi Sargon! Sorry for the delayed reply.

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure yet. The issue will be that, if the advancement features are included (and it's my preference that they are), they'd have to be included for some/all the other non-European factions as well.

Currently, the non-European factions are: Apache, Chichimeca, Cherokee, Iroquois, Sioux, Aztec, Tarascans (Purepecha), Tlaxcalans, Kiche Maya, Tutul Maya, Inca and Muisca. A lot of them will rely on original content already, so there'd be new advanced units, buildings and so forth to consider.

Whilst I haven't developed the rosters yet (top of the to-do list), slingers for the Aztecs, and metal weapons for the Tarascans and Inca, would be fantastic and I'll endeavour to include them.

Custom settlements are a low priority, given the bulk of work required (and I'm still a one-man team at this instant). They would not be included in a first release, but I'd love to include them down the track.

I would love help with research! I will be in touch via PM shortly.

Metal.Pigeon's Avatar Decanus

Quick suggestion on the topic:

The Spanish sent the Tlaxcalans a crossbow as a sign of peace. It failed and they were attacked, but I think it would make sense for any native faction allied to a European faction to be able to recruit crossbowmen. It's a nice alternative to the way Apacheans and Chichimecs get access to gunpowder and horses in the Kingdoms campaign, I think.

The Incans did historically use horses and steel weapons that they stole from the Spanish in limited amounts, if I'm not mistaken, so I don't think that the excuse of the rest of the native factions being too afraid to use horses in the Kingdoms campaign should be something in this mod also.

Another cool idea about the crossbows. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I am pondering whether to give the natives much access to cavalry. I plan to implement buildings (something like a horse breeder's guild, but not) for the Europeans that (conveniently ) allows them to recruit more horses than might be expected. I could do something similar for the Americans quite easily, but like I've said elsewhere, I don't want to make in too ridiculous, or ruin the flavour of their non-European warfare. That said, everything is conceptual at this stage and all ideas and suggestions will definitely be considered by me as the rosters start to come together (over the next few weeks, with any luck).

Right now, everything is just ideas and considerations in my head, and everyone else's heads, so it's awesome we're starting to get them on paper for further development.

In case you don't get my message, I'll be responding to the roster thread tomorrow. I just really need to go to bed right now.

Sorry about my own late reply. I've actually been away from the site for over a year due to life issues, now taken care of. Is this project still ongoing?
    If so I'll ask a Chilean friend of mine if he might be willing to help you with research. There's a lot of info on natives that hasn't been translated out of Spanish yet, and he's been very helpful in my own efforts.

Hi Sargon, while I can't currently speak for anyone other than myself, I believe I can say that the project isn't totally 'dead' yet. Personally, I've been taking an extended break from both modding and TWC for about 6 months, and that may continue for a while, though C&E achieving some kind of release remains a big goal for me.

Months ago, the team and I discussed the direction of the mod, and those discussions will hopefully be revisited and resumed in the coming weeks and months so we all have a better idea of where things progress from here. Sorry to be a bit vague, but hopefully it's better than nothing.

Morrowgan's Avatar Centenarius

You still got my silent support.
    Member of the Beyond Skyrim Project

Metal.Pigeon's Avatar Decanus

We appreciate it.

I've been active and I somehow still missed Sargon's reply. Oops.

Mod seems really cool. Just include expensive versions of Gun, Cav, and Artillery, with twice the maintenance, and tie it to maybe a building with only a 'chance' to spawn (similar to merchants guild/ hospitaller chapterhouse in base game)

In this way, some native factions can upgrade dynamically but it will never be their majority weapon.