Page 1 of 38 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: New Attila Content in 2017

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Default New Attila Content in 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Theramines View Post
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...december-2016/

Just the faintest, most distant glimmer of hope, though. In particular:
    Please rep Mr. Theramines for bringing this to my attention.

Things have been pretty quiet here over the past year with CA's efforts having moved on to Warhammer and the plethora of other stuff that they produce. However, there now seems to be a faint glimmer of hope for potential historical content for the more recent historical games (Rome 2/Attila) while they are still in the planning stages for the next historical title.

First of all - this is awesome! It is great that CA may potentially revisit this game with new content. Most importantly, this might be the last chance we have to truly flesh out Attila and tie up any loose ends that the game may have according to the fan-base. Therefore, let's begin discussions regarding what would you guys like to see in the game.

As I mentioned in a previous thread, Armenia is the proverbial elephant in the room, the last major faction that is missing from ATW.

How about cleaning up the issue with "Sarmatians" in the game by creating a unique Sarmatian religion? I have noticed that faction leaders sometimes have the trait "Likes/Dislikes Sarmatians" yet I do not know where this is truly manifested in the game, as the Alani technically have Germanic culture/Arian religion despite their new "Sarmatian" unit roster. That would be a really neat addition. While CA is at it, it may be a good idea to clean up the non-playable Iazyges/Roxolani factions by giving them a copy/paste Alani roster as opposed to the current Hunnic one. I would even go as far as suggest renaming the Roxolani as the "Arcaragantes." It would make more historical sense.

What about the idea of a whole new DLC? I imagine that it is more unlikely to happen, but it could be a really good money-maker and would most def bring the historical community back to Total War games while CA is still in full-blown Warhammer mode. I would personally love to see a campaign settled in the "East" perhaps even the much discussed "Heraclius/Rise of Islam scenario."

Thoughts/opinions?
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Default Re: New Attila Content in 2017

If they want to spend more time in historical titles, like they said in their post, they need a campaign, not 3 sigle factions copy/paste from vanilla ones. So if they finally make something, we can be sure it will be a campaign.

Options?

Attila:

- Romano-Sassanid campaign, focus in the east, plus Armenia in GC. Is what Attila needs to be a complete game, and one of the best TW ever made. Romans and Sassanid wont need new units, or models, just a new map and maybe some scripts, nothing else. Armenia can re-use vanilla models, and need just a few generals, misions and traitrs. Its very easy to make it, and people are waiting for it. (Please, just make it, is so easy)
    - All people are waiting for Medieval 3, now we know for sure it wont be the next one, so maybe other "medieval" DLC, like Charlemagne, they can use stuff from Bretonnia, a simple England (and a little portion of France) campaign, doesnt need so much time from CA.
    - Early campagin from Attila, maybe the last time the Empire was united, but this is so simple idea, something we cant make with AK in a few hours (or less).
    - Heraclius campaign, to me, with the first option, is the best they can make.

Rome:

- Late Roman campaign, maybe Marcus Aurelius (just because more people know him from Gladiator, one of the best movies ever made). Just need other map, or even just a new startpos, so easy to make.
    - Third century campaign, the best option from Rome 2, and also can connect with Attila, and they will have covered the entire Roman history. But this need many new 3D models, new scripts, ni research... So much works for a Rome 2 DLC.
    - Alexander campaign, well, they already have Rome I remake (even if Rome 2 is the worst TW ever made, more than Empire), Barbarian Invasion remake... So an Alexander the Great campaign will be very welcome (me too), they just need a new map, because factions, units, models, can be imported from the vanilla game. So easy to make. I see this like the most probably DLC for Rome 2. And if they want to reconnect with historical players, is the best option (including Attila ones).

We can expect a DLC for each game, because Attila is selling well right now, and people are seeing is a very good game. And Rome 2, even if is a bad game (not so bad I must say, at last right now), so they can spend some time and connect again and make happy players in both games. Is the obvius and right movement as company (even if its just for money, is the best way).

I vote for Alexander for Rome 2, and Romano-Sassanid for Attila, these are what I want. But I can see a "medieval" DLC for Attila

I am of the opinion that an Aurelian/Crisis of the Third Century story would fit better under the auspices of Attila Total War. You would have entities like the Goths, Germanic tribes, Palmyra, "Gallic Empire," Sarmatians, and Sassanids...it would also be a neat opportunity to see "Imperial" style legions in the ATW engine.

I do not believe that I would enjoy another "medieval" themed DLC a la Charlemagne. It sorta rubbed me the wrong way to begin with, and I feel that Western Europe has already been way overdone in ATW. Any new campaign should shift the story to the East - Heraclius/Rise of Islam or maybe even an Emperor Maurikios Balkans Campaign scenario. I would love to see a story where Constantinople is the center of the world and the empire has to deal with threats from all sides.

Concerning Rome 2.... this isn't really the right forum to voice opinions concerning it, but that game itself is beyond repair for me. I simply don't enjoy playing it. Attila, on the other hand, has tons of untapped potential.

CA loves to focus on historical characters, so I reckon an Aurelian DLC, as mentioned by Darios above, would be a chance either for Rome 2 or Attila. But whatever they released for Attila, I'd be very happy with because it is by far my favourite strategy game.

A fresh soundtrack for Attila, fixed modding tools, and optimisation to increase FPS during battles would be nice too.

edit: forgot to add that I'd also love an Alfred the Great DLC with a huge Britain, Scandinavia and northern France/low countries map.
    Last edited by Theramines; December 16, 2016 at 04:17 PM.

I would like them to focus on some new enhanced siege mechanics, and also to release some better modding tools for modders!

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

I haven't nottice EVEN a line about Attila.
    DO NOT TRUST A HOPE.
    CA/SEGA cought us all SUCKERS and now enjoys the spoils of war.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    DO NOT TRUST A HOPE.
    ...in particular thinking about additional content or standalones for some of our more recent historical titles.

It seems to me that CA has come to the understanding that fans of the historical games have not accepted Warhammer and consequently risks losing an important/essential part of its customer base if they continue to ignore them for the next few years (the next historical game may be as far away as 2019). Warhammer has its fans of course, but they generally seem to be "Warhammer" fans rather than "Total War" fans. Hence, CA has come to the realization that it would be wise to pacify the historical fans who have been essentially shunned over the past year.

It is an excellent idea on CA's part because Rome 2 and Attila both still have tons of untapped potential in the forms of factions, campaigns, and of course - extremely necessary optimization/gameplay fixes.

Well, this is quite some news! Definetely a new DLC either for Rome II or Attila would be most welcome, with more possible options, as I see it, for Attila.
    For Attila, some Late Antiquity obvious possibilities: an Aurelian «Restitutor Orbis» dlc would be amazing (of course, if well done), or the rise of Constantine, starting in an Empire still organized under Diocletian's reforms. Some early medieval possibilities, too, like Heraclius and the rise of Islam, the aftermath of the split of the Carolingian Empire in 843, or, if focusing in the East, the rise of the Macedonian dynasty in Byzantium. Or, of course, making a good factional DLC for the eastern regions of the original game. So many possibilities!
    Alas, for Rome II, can't see too many options now, both in campaigns or factional DLCs. Perhaps a new campaign for the hellenistic world, after the death of Alexander and focusing with the wars of the Diadochi? For me, that would be a nice addition.

DO NOT TRUST A HOPE.
    While I fully stand behind this line,...

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    ...in particular thinking about additional content or standalones for some of our more recent historical titles.
    ...,I read this as well.

What if they are "thinking" about a product for TIME Commanders, which they can sell in and around the show? If it's that, you both would be right.
    If you're dealing with the devil, it's not the devil who changes, but rather the devil change you - for sanity is like a spider, sitting in a net woven from the finest of strings, unaware of the hand coming closer, being grabbed and stuffed into a mouth.
    Check this: Turumba's Twitch and Youtube channel!

i not buy total war war hammer is not like this fantasy epoch,It also has horrible animations and the units are an absurd mix,Thus making battles in a not sense.the units models are horrible, any unit of attila mods like medieval or seven kigdoms would be worth for empire troops.i could still list the reasons why I do not like Warhammer but it would be endless to write them.
    and like me thousands of players from the total war saga, mostly veterans have not bought the total warhammer.
    i bought all the games, expansions and DLC of the total war saga and this is the first game that I will not buy in full.
    if CA had made a game based on the movies and books of the Lord of the Rings surely would have bought the game with all its expansions and DLC.
    because in the world of the average earth if there is epic, uniforms, armies have a logic and not an absurd mixture.
    let's hope that CA makes a game about the Lord of the Rings, with all the epic that entails both characters, battles and armies.
    with respect to the rumor of new content for attila and rome, be welcome,i'll buy everything,if it is possible that it brings graphic improvements and new combat animations and to correct the animation of the attila of the head cut that is repeated much.
    on the subject of the new historical game, I would like about the time of the picas and muskets and no general campaign,but based on concrete historical campaigns such as the English Civil War, well detailed strategic map, as well as armies, types of historical units, characters, historical events,Among many other aspects that give depth, immersion and realism and the game will be taking modules of historical campaigns of the time,In the form of expansions and DLC.
    another interesting epoch for a next historical game would be the victorian era,based on specific historical campaigns and exclusive, well detailed in all aspects.the united states civil war,the zulu war,among other historic campaigns.
    Last edited by Anibal at portas; December 18, 2016 at 01:03 PM.

Vanders's Avatar Civis

I'm still hoping for a dlc revolving around the stories of King Arthur.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanders View Post
    I'm still hoping for a dlc revolving around the stories of King Arthur.
    In my opinion, I feel that a full blown campaign about King Arthur would be a bit of a waste, especially considering as Western Europe has already been overdone in campaign DLC for Attila, however you do touch upon a very interesting idea.

A major criticism concerning Attila is that the Cultural Pack DLCs (Empires of Sand, Longbeards, Celts, and Slavs) added some really neat campaign scenario dilemmas for the newly released factions, ultimately making the original factions appear very bland by comparison. What if CA were to go back and create campaign dilemmas for some of the original factions like the Romans and Goths? The Goths were THE story of the 4th and 5th century and they could really benefit from such storytelling.

An interesting potential one for the Western Roman Empire could pertain to Britain. Let us say that early in the campaign, a scenario develops where the Romans are losing control of Britain and the Britons send a message to the emperor asking for aid against the incoming Saxons. Honorius of course refuses to answer their pleas and as a result, the player would get two options:

1) Remain loyal to the empire, despite the feeling of abandonment (resulting in greater unrest in the remaining Roman provinces in Britain)
    2) Fend for yourselves (You abandon the WRE and the player transforms into a 'rebel' Romano-British faction with control over the Roman provinces in Britain while the WRE becomes AI controlled)

I assume that may be doable via the game's mechanics. The Romano-British could have a unique roster, similar to what they had in Barbarian Invasion, as well as unique campaign goals.

That could breathe some life and immersion into a WRE campaign that is otherwise rather dull, especially compared to playing as as the DLC factions.

WhatAnArtist's Avatar Foederatus

Assuming that they're referring to a proper campaign pack and not yet another culture pack (God, I hope that isn't what they're actually referring to), I think there are two very plausible scenarios they could let us play: the rise of Islam in the 7th century and the height of power for the Roman Empire in the 2nd century. The 7th century has been completely skipped over so far (with The Last Roman being in the 6th century and Age of Charlemagne being in the 8th century), and there hasn't been a DLC focusing on the east since... well... Medieval II... ten years ago. The rise of Islam and its incredibly rapid expansion is a pretty hugely significant event in history, and I feel it would very thoroughly bridge the gap between the Grand Campaign and Age of Charlemagne.

As for a DLC campaign pack being set during the height of the Empire's power... I feel this is kind of necessary. I mean, we've got a whole game about the rise of the empire (Rome II) and a whole game about the fall of the empire (Attila), but there's like three or four centuries between these two things, centuries in which Rome was basically the most powerful force in the world and nobody could do anything about it. I think if they did a DLC focusing on Rome, it should either begin around the time of Marcus Aurelius' reign - so we get to experience the empire at its full power but not too long before things start to go wrong - or it should be during the Third Century Crisis. I would suggest Constantine, but that's a bit too close to Attila's starting date of 395 AD.

That said, I'll be happy with any campaign pack, because even the most underwhelming campaign packs are still better than yet another culture pack (although Empires of Sand was admittedly pretty good for its kind).

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

I can't say I'm excited by the notion of revisiting Attila or TWR2's limitations in yet another mini-campaign. I wish CA would focus 100% on bringing new concepts and new mechanics to market, perhaps that's what they have in mind but it doesn't sound like it.

It is interesting though that they are considering adding content, a year after Charlemagne, and almost two years after TW:A. This suggests something is holding up the next historical game, it could be hitches in developing the Warhammer sequel, or possibly a new TW engine. In any event, at this point it's hard to see a new historical game until the fall of 2018, five years after release of Rome II. Honestly, it would be odd to not have a new engine by then.

It looks like the Warhammer detour has cost us at least two years, on top of the usual time between TW titles. I believe CA intentionally mislead us about what Warhammer would do to historical releases. It's also appears depressingly likely at this point that fantasy settings will a permanent feature in the Total War mix.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatAnArtist View Post
    As for a DLC campaign pack being set during the height of the Empire's power... I feel this is kind of necessary. I mean, we've got a whole game about the rise of the empire (Rome II) and a whole game about the fall of the empire (Attila), but there's like three or four centuries between these two things, centuries in which Rome was basically the most powerful force in the world and nobody could do anything about it. I think if they did a DLC focusing on Rome, it should either begin around the time of Marcus Aurelius' reign - so we get to experience the empire at its full power but not too long before things start to go wrong - or it should be during the Third Century Crisis. I would suggest Constantine, but that's a bit too close to Attila's starting date of 395 AD.

That said, I'll be happy with any campaign pack, because even the most underwhelming campaign packs are still better than yet another culture pack (although Empires of Sand was admittedly pretty good for its kind).
    Quite honestly, I'd go the other way. Constantine era or post-Constantine is probably the best time for Roman 'civil war'. The units are fairly accurate so there's just a little need for tweaking, there's a bunch of roman factions to play with, there's the Sassanid threat and other barbarians including Goths. Doesn't require a whole lot of effort but would still be a nice change of pace campaign where you get to play as a smaller Roman faction and not have the Hunnic/Winter apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by zsimmortal View Post
    Quite honestly, I'd go the other way. Constantine era or post-Constantine is probably the best time for Roman 'civil war'. The units are fairly accurate so there's just a little need for tweaking, there's a bunch of roman factions to play with, there's the Sassanid threat and other barbarians including Goths. Doesn't require a whole lot of effort but would still be a nice change of pace campaign where you get to play as a smaller Roman faction and not have the Hunnic/Winter apocalypse.
    The problem here would be: What would set a Constantine-era campaign apart from the Grand Campaign? The Roman units would be almost completely the same, the rest of the campaign map would not look much different except for the Huns not being present and the Goths being settled in Dacia as opposed to a migrating horde. You would not have to deal with climate change I guess, but ultimately - nothing innovative or novel about this campaign idea - save for having an Emperor Constantine strat/battle map model.

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    The problem here would be: What would set a Constantine-era campaign apart from the Grand Campaign? The Roman units would be almost completely the same, the rest of the campaign map would not look much different except for the Huns not being present and the Goths being settled in Dacia as opposed to a migrating horde. You would not have to deal with climate change I guess, but ultimately - nothing innovative or novel about this campaign idea - save for having an Emperor Constantine strat/battle map model.
    Probably a more concentrated map with less of the steppes and Eastern Europe, Africa and possibly less of the East. They could also incorporate different agents to have armies defect or to gain influence or something like that. Maybe a different rebellion/civil war mechanic which forces you to keep an eye on your armies, like troop loyalty, which once it reaches a certain point, might proclaim a new emperor. It's also not about surviving, so the Roman game is completely different. There's also more religious conflict, with potential heresies appearing and creating problems. I get what you're talking about, but what was essentially different between the GC and the Augustus campaign? A different setting, pretty much. I don't think they need to elaborate so much, just give the game a campaign that feels different with new units and mechanics.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

DO NOT TRUST A HOPE.
    Agreed! In any case, just for my superstitions, I say: Move your fat ass and finally give us THIRD CENTURY ROMANS, damn you all!!!

Campidoctor
    Civitate

If there will be an other dlc then probably (and hopefully) no new culture pack. A fitting campaign pack would be the third century crisis or the Islamic Expansion.

However, I would actually prefer working map modding tools or at least new / old features like the post-battle kill counts or provinces taxable in 4 levels. Wouldn't say no to entirely new features adding depth either.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

If they update it with more content, I hope they don't make more changes to the db so it breaks all mods, that would be silly.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Page 1 of 38 123456789101126 ... LastLast