Thread: Attila Realism

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Attila Realism

Intro

AR v3.0

A mod for Total War Attila brought to the TW community by DaVinci.

Plus in courtesy of JaM's former modding work, which was focused on the Battle Mode of the game aka combat modding.
    On his base realism mod, which i saw as requirement to play the game overall, i started to play and balance the Attila
    Grand Campaign, because the old TW modding bug came back.
    First planned as personal mod only, i thought i could share it (as in the past, with most of my TW modding), as little
    x-mas gift 2016 for the ones who look to play Attila with a kind of an alternative gameplay that strives for a tad realism.

Desc

What is this mod?

- A mod which increases realism, for the Grand Campaign (Charlemagne and Last Roman might come later).
    Subnote: I have installed all DLCs for TW Attila, so that might be the requirement for the mod to work.

- Increasing realism means here basicly, for the combat (battle mode) and the strategical gameplay (campaign mode).

- Balanced and meant to play on Hard difficulty (changed settings in the according file).
    Subnote: Main faction which was played out in the development are the Saxons, aiming to play them on a historical path as
    invader of southern and middle Britain to the according time. Increasing might and influence etc., but not conquering the world.

- The focus on changes is as following (from much touches to less):
    Barbarians (Germanics, Celts, Slavs); Romans (West, East) ... Nomads, Persians and Africans got lesser changes.

- AI got a little support to make some better fitting steps, but no artificial tweaks via difficulty settings whatsoever.

- Migration is an option aka according factions got tons of tweaks, so they might not vanish quickly as AI faction (as it is
    in vanilla, in my experience at least).

- All aspects of the gameplay have been touched. More closer changelog info might be added later if i have the time
    (for now... just try the game with this mod, if it is not yours, simply remove it).

Some specifics post v1.0:

- More changes for: Battle entities (unit movement); unit stats, recruitment time, costs and upkeep; building properties/costs/time;
    starting technology military properties added for roman and barbarian factions, and much more.

- Removed the campaigns missions file (from v1.0, 1.5), as possibly its modding caused game instability.

- Further removal of unrealistic/ahistorical units, or reduction in campaign availability.

- More files added and modified for balancing purposes.

- Balancing, balancing ... now the modded game is almost perfect for the mentioned purposes (kind of a golden middleway between challenge,
    feasibility, AI consideration and increased realism).

Since v3.0:

- Further balancing tweaks.

- Startpos.esf added (Grand Campaign start situation), changes such as: For certain factions the start money increased, faction stances, start units.

Compatibility?

- Changed UI and sound, whatever of that sort (graphics and sound files) go without any fuzz, when it works for vanilla.

- New units would need according balancing, but technically no issue, if those files don't change vanilla table files
    (separate table files).

- A list of the changed files, so others get an idea, which other mods work optionally without issues (if they come
    with a list of changed files).

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

AR 1.0

AttilaCampaignsMissionsR.pack (removed with v1.7)
    missions

AttilaR.pack
    _kv_fatigue
    _kv_morale
    _kv_rules
    battle_entities
    building_effects_junction
    building_level_armed_citizenry_junctions
    building_levels
    campaign_difficulty_handicap_effects
    campaign_map_attrition_damages
    campaign_map_attritions
    campaign_variables
    land_units
    main_units
    melee_weapons
    mercenary_pool_to_groups_junctions
    mercenary_unit_groups
    missile_weapons
    projectiles
    resources
    resources_to_campaign_junctions
    technology_nodes
    technology_unit_upgrades
    ui_unit_bullet_point_enums
    ui_unit_stats
    unit_armour_types
    unit_class
    unit_fatigue_effects
    unit_shield_types
    unit_spacings
    units_to_groupings_military_permissions

AR 1.5

(added)

technology_effects_junction

AR 1.7

(added)

faction_rebellion_units_junctions
    mercenary_pools

AR 2.0

(added)

agents
    campaigns_campaign_variables_junctions
    fame_levels
    unit_experience_thresholds
    unit_stats_land_experience_bonuses
    unit_stats_naval_experience_bonuses

AR 3.0

(added)

startpos.esf

Installation

There are two mod pack files and one txt file (this one here), zipped.
    The pack files are calling: AttilaR (db tables) and AttilaR_GrandCampaign (startpos.esf).

To install the mod, unzip and put the two mod files into the data folder of Attila
    and enable them in the Attila launcher application (incl. the so-called "out-of date").
    That's all. Just start the game as usual and make sure the mod files are enabled.

Example installation path
    C:\Steam Games\steamapps\common\Total War Attila\data

Update: Overwrite (or replace).

Uninstall with disabling the mod files and/or removal of the mod files.

Credits

CA for their imo. best TW game compared to all former titles.

JaM, yearslong modding friend, courtesy of many basic modified files of this mod.

Me and my old TW modding bug and history knowledge.

All people who worked on the PFM tool and created tutorials for the AK tool.

The mod might be put to the Steam workshop later, but as for now, it is exclusively available on TWC,

via this thread:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Attila-Realism

Usage is as the mod comes, i keep no obligations for anything to the user.

--
    End readme, Greetings /DaVinci

EDIT

A duplicate release thread is added now on the Org: http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...Realismhttp://

Mod file is attached, download with left-click "save file" (attachment download requires to be logged in TWC).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DaVinci; January 14, 2017 at 06:42 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Attila Realism

Update v1.5 attached.

Merry x-mas all.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Patrician Artifex

Update v1.7 attached.

Patrician Artifex

Update v2.0 attached.

I guess, that's it for me, with the db file "tweak" modding of Attila (for the Grand Campaign, the Charlemagne campaign might follow some day in future).

Patrician Artifex

Happy New Year, all!

So how do i make my balancing? In short: Playtesting ... tweak-modding, playtesting, tweak-modding, ... .

V2.0 seemed to come close to what i envisioned for this tweak mod. Which is, a super hard game for the WRE (if human or AI), barbarian tribes "migrate" into the former roman ruled regions - at best the from history known ones.

I played (along my houserules) the Saxons again, until year 430.
    At this point, the entirety of (todays) France regions, more than half Italy plus even Corsica and Sardinia, nearly entire Iberian peninsula, Alpes regions anyway, and complete Britain fell to barbarian factions ... and the Gauti were the rulers of many many regions, might-state 4, iirc.. Just not what i wanted to see that soon, this fast "Fall of the Western Roman Empire", and especially not, that a faction like the Gauti wins that much.

What shall this say?

I'm working on another "balancing-fix", so to speak. A version 2.5 or something is due soon.
    According tweaks are done already, now playtesting. Looks good so far, at least until year 405.
    Last edited by DaVinci; January 02, 2017 at 09:07 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Just a note for the three people who might be interested: I'm working on the mentioned balancing stuff, bit more and deeper than before, plus incl. startpos changes, ie. faction stances and planned is also as a next bigger step, victory conditions.

Patrician Artifex

Version 3.0 released (attached in 1st post).

Patrician Artifex

I'm looking for a team member who has

- quite some time
    - fun with the game
    - good ability (experience) to work with the PFM tool

I have some prepared db files for the following purpose:

Keeping units in the game, which vanish due to the technology unit progress, aka they shall be further recruitable from on the moment when they are replaced by the according technology.
    The task-aim is to have them copied with some codes bit modified (in the prepared db files), in a separate mod pack file. It's quite some work amount for which i have not the time.

EDIT

Thought once more about this plan.

I would be imo. enough to have the following unit types still available in game (when replaced by tech), per faction/military group:
    - 1 main light spear unit
    - 1 main light sword/javelin unit
    - 1 main light skirmisher unit
    - 1 main light cavalry
    "Light" could be also medium or heavy class, fe. in case of the Roman melee units.

This restriction would limit the work amount a lot, still enriches the late unit rosters and also keeps that more realistic, ie. certainly no faction deployed later (through tech progress) only with medium and heavy units.
    Last edited by DaVinci; January 13, 2017 at 06:42 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Just in case it is or becomes relevant for somebody, the release thread with download is now added to the Org as well:

http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...Realismhttp://

EDIT

Realising there is practically only a very minor interest in the design-direction of this mod, fe. not a single reply-post, i stop releasing updates and just keep my work private used. Sounds childish? Well, perhaps it is ... but just my public modding work "career" lays in the past, and the above Attila modding is already "sharing private used modding".

That said, i have modified after the latest release - balanced diverse files heavily once more, gameplay is different rather imo. way improved over the release version, all with regards to what is already described.
    I consider my modding-work on Attila vanilla, Grand Campaign, successfully done. I won't go on with Charlemagne and Last Roman campaigns, no time and/or enough interrest to additonally dive into it.

Just in case a few more want the Grand Campaign updated version, write your posts, and i'll see that i upload again.
    Last edited by DaVinci; February 11, 2017 at 11:02 AM.

I appreciate the hard work man, always admired your mods you do solid work. Not sure if this place is dying or everyone is just moving to steam but I appreciate the efforts!

mAIOR's Avatar Senator

Always appreciate your mods. Been using this one and here is a short review (only played 8 or 10 hours).

Love the casualty numbers. Units lose little troops when engaged and that is good.

However, some maluses seem to be a bit too high. Flanking Mali especially. It makes morale too finicky and it s hard to get a proper battleline going. Considering a scaling factor of 1:4, each unit would be capable of fighting on multiple fronts and especially if your opponent formation is slightly wider, the morale penalise are too high. I played a battle twice today. Around 2k troops each side. First time it was a catastropic defeat where I lost around half my force simply because my army insta routed the moment the lines met. Second time there was some back and forward and I won an heroic victory. Some weird unit behaviour happened though. One unit of archers was caught by enemy cav. I sent some sword infantry to engage said cab and pulled them back. They were confident (though sometimes units start concerned/shaken) as soon as I pushed them back they got the cavalry in the rear malus and they routes immediately. This should be toned down imho as it makes battles a bit of a coin flip.

Everything else from losses to missile damage (or lack of thereof) is spot on. Another suggestion would be to remove siege engines from the Merc pool and starting hordes. They should not be that common imho. Like the mod so far. If you have a better version please post it.