Thread: I need help with create a very small sub mod to FotE

Default I need help with create a very small sub mod to FotE

I want to create a very small submod to FotE, but I don't how to do it. So, I want to replace legionaries armour lorica hamata and squamata in unit Cohors Comitatensis Lanciariorum with lorica hamata only. All stats, shields, weapons, helmets, all have be the same as in FotE, I want change only armour from hamata and squamata to hamata only in this unit, all legionaries Cohors Comitatensis Lanciariorum unit will have only lorica hamata without lorica squamata. But I can't do it, because I am not advanced in creating mods. This mod must to work with FotE correctly, it must be submod to FotE. Which program to creating mods will be proper to create this mod? Can somebody help me create this very small mod? Can somebody describe me what I have to do step by step? I will be very gratefull for help.

Default Re: I need help with create a very small sub mod to FotE

This would require learning about variant mesh definition editing and such. You can find the VMD files for the various units in the first FotE pack. You may have to actually edit the armor VMDs too. Its a bit more complicated than switching out one entry I believe.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

But I don't know how to do it. Can somebody describe me what I have to do step by step? Which program I should use?

If you are interested in getting into modding, I would recommend checking out Magnar's video tutorials found on the workshop on these forums or on youtube.

I don't want to create a new mod, I want only to change one value from hamata and squamata to hamatra only, and I don't know which value in VMD files is responsible for armour of Cohors Comitatensis Lanciariorum unit in Eastern and Western Roman Empire. Just tell me which value in VMD files is responsible for armour of Cohors Comitatensis Lanciariorum unit in Eastern and Western Roman Empire and how I have to change that value. I want to change only armour nothing more.
    Last edited by briks; December 12, 2016 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by briks View Post
    Just tell me which value
    Three things:

1. Dresden isn't the guy who does models
    2. Dresden gave you information on how to find what you're looking for
    3. Don't demand that people with limited free time and energy do your bidding

The last point is the important one. FotE, like every other mod out there, is done by volunteers in their spare time. Most of us have at least one job. Many of us have families, or school, or some combination of all of that. They didn't have someone holding their hand to do the work. Despite that, Dresden was generous enough to direct you in the right direction. If you can't be bothered to do that work--even after having someone tried to help--the least you could do is ask politely.

I now demand that everyone always uses bold for my name!

As zombieflanders said, I actually don't do the units around here. I know enough about them to edit/fix and do small things. The file you are looking for is in the fall of the eagles 0 pack under variantmeshdefinitions. I believe it is rom_comitatensis_spear or something like that. Inside you will find their VMD entries, one is for armor. Whether or not editing those helps or not, I am not sure. As I said, you may have to find their armor entries in the other pack files.
    Last edited by Dresden; December 13, 2016 at 02:27 PM.

I can't open file "_FOTE_Roman_Spearmen_T2_Comitatenses_ERE.VariantMeshDefinition" in Pack File Manager. How can I open this file?

Extract the file from PFM, then use the Assembly Kit's variant editor to make your changes.

In Assembly Kit's variant editor I didn't see any part of this VariantMeshDefinition, so I open file "_FOTE_Roman_Spearmen_T2_Comitatenses_ERE.VariantMeshDefinition" in Pack File Manager as a text. I change value "scale" for "mail" as on this image

Now soldiers in unit hasn't squamata. Some soldiers in unit have hamata but remainder of soldiers haven't any armour textures. What I did wrong?