Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: MI passes stronger voter ID law after believed voter fraud (D) discovered in Michigan recount...

Default MI passes stronger voter ID law after believed voter fraud (D) discovered in Michigan recount...

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/12/0...aud-hyperbole/

Current law requires a photo ID too, but also allows for voters to sign an affidavit under oath that attests to their identity and eligibility. The House might have had ample reason to wonder about abuse under that system when looking at the distribution of the practice. The Detroit News’ Jonathan Oostling reports that almost half of all such votes took place in heavily Democratic Wayne County, and almost 6,000 in the city of Detroit alone. That seems oddly disproportional, given that Wayne County accounted for just 16% of the state’s total.
    This of course was just some of the wacky "coincidences" in Detroit.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2016...oit-precincts/
    Once they started the Michigan recount in earnest, and knowing he would be exposed, the Detroit City Clerk Daniel Baxter all of a sudden started claiming that the optical scanners which read the paper ballots did not work the day of the election. Baxter blamed the discrepancies on decade-old voting machines. That is his cover story. Nothing like this was mentioned until he realized their voting fraud scheme would be detected.
    Baxter’s claim is that, when trying to push the ballots through the readers, the ballots would be stuck and they’d have to push them through again thus ‘ACCIDENTALLY’ resulting in a double count. He says the poll workers sometimes ‘FORGET’ to adjust the machine count and instead let the ballot count twice.
    So again I'm curious as to why in the US we don't require a voter ID to help ensure one person one vote? What could be the possible motivation not to besides a desire to see this sort of fraud?
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Default Re: MI passes stronger voter ID law after believed voter fraud (D) discovered in Michigan recount...

Every time voter fraud is suspected it's usually debunked pretty quickly because it almost never makes a relevant statistical difference...

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

Default Re: MI passes stronger voter ID law after believed voter fraud (D) discovered in Michigan recount...

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post

So again I'm curious as to why in the US we don't require a voter ID to help ensure one person one vote? What could be the possible motivation not to besides a desire to see this sort of fraud?
    How would requiring ID have helped at all in your example?

You're describing election fraud, not voter fraud. Voter fraud was the lady who voted for Trump twice in Iowa.

I absolutely agree that election fraud should be stamped out wherever it's found. But I don't agree with using it as an excuse to pass unrelated voting restrictions that make it more difficult for people to vote.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

How is having an ID difficult?

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    How is having an ID difficult?
    https://www.aclu.org/blog/speak-free...ything-do-race

http://www.colorlines.com/articles/c...ical-precision

How about we do away with having to register to vote entirely and register everyone automatically when they turn 18?
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesîr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    https://www.aclu.org/blog/speak-free...ything-do-race

http://www.colorlines.com/articles/c...ical-precision

How about we do away with having to register to vote entirely and register everyone automatically when they turn 18?
    Because people move.

I had to re-register for a 5 mile move, and its needed because.... I was in a different district!
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Citizen

Because people move.

I had to re-register for a 5 mile move, and its needed because.... I was in a different district!
    So have people give their address when they go vote, and if they have moved then update it at the precinct.

Or are you worried that could screw up the Republicans' carefully gerrymandered districts? They rigged the map fair and square damn it!!
    Last edited by the_mango55; December 08, 2016 at 10:15 PM.
    ttt

So have people give their address when they go vote, and if they have moved then update it at the precinct.

Or are you worried that could screw up the Republicans' carefully gerrymandered districts? They rigged the map fair and square damn it!!
    You mean like give their address with something like an ID?

"Hi I'm John Smith, this is my address"

"Sure sir, here is your ballot!"

Really? Think this one through.

My shameful truth.

Citizen

You mean like give their address with something like an ID?

"Hi I'm John Smith, this is my address"

Really? Think this one through.
    Or with something like their statement.

"Hi I'm John Smith and I live at 450 Wilson St"

ttt

Or with something like their statement.

"Hi I'm John Smith and I live at 450 Wilson St"

I don't think you get the problem....

My shameful truth.

Citizen

Like many republicans, you are proposing adding extra difficulty to the process of voting, especially for poorer people who are less likely to have ID, to solve a problem that barely exists.

Iowa doesn't have voter ID law but they still caught that woman who voted for Trump twice.
    ttt

Like many republicans, you are proposing adding extra difficulty to the process of voting, especially for poorer people who are less likely to have ID, to solve a problem that barely exists.

Iowa doesn't have voter ID law but they still caught that woman who voted for Trump twice.
    And then meanwhile in Detroit.... seriously you have no argument really other than people can't get an ID for some reason, even though people on even EBT need one.

My shameful truth.

Citizen

And then meanwhile in Detroit.... seriously you have no argument really other than people can't get an ID for some reason, even though people on even EBT need one.
    First of all, I can't speak for every state but you don't need ID in North Carolina to get an EBT card. The agency just has to be able to reasonably verify a person's identity, which can be gathered in many different ways. Online lookup based on social security number for example.

Secondly, we will ignore the fact that states can and do purposefully make it difficult for certain people to get IDs, it doesn't even matter why some people don't have an ID. It could be pure laziness. They still have the right to vote.

And as I said already about Detroit, that's an example of (alleged) election fraud and not voter fraud, ID requirement would not have helped if machines were counting ballots twice.
    ttt

You're merely trying to pass voter fraud suspicion as fraud itself. That's pathetic. Even your primary link is careful not to call it fraud. It's also quite ironic how people whine about recount requests, some (as in Donald Trump) even going to court to stop said recounts, and then argue how there is voter fraud coming from the other side... If there was indeed a voter fraud evidence where is the investigation? What certainly gives away this pathetic attempt is the fact that you mention the problem with the machines. The voter ID issues have no relevance there. However, given how weak your position is you need every single voting issue, ignoring anything that involves the Republicans of course.
    The Armenian Issue

If,the,ID,is,provided,for,free,and,voting,places,open,in,all,communities,sure.Given,that,people,can,be,found,for,the,draft,finding,them,to,vote,should,not,be,impossible.
    Last edited by justicar5; December 09, 2016 at 04:57 AM.

Costin_Razvan's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Every time voter fraud is suspected it's usually debunked pretty quickly because it almost never makes a relevant statistical difference...
    When half the voters in Detroit can't be counted, and only Detroit, in a county controlled by the Democrats then pardon for me for saying something really is up.

Debunk that. Somehow we are supposed to believe that the optical scanners, used statewide, broke down only in Detroit?
    "It's bizarre though. Donald Trump, an ageing, orange skinned reality TV star with a history of selling steaks and conning people, a trophy wife and one of the most fragile egos I've seen pretty much just destroyed the head of the interventionist faction in the US State apparatus, Victoria Nuland, after literally becoming President of the United states. We must live in one of the more interesting timelines."

"The Powell Doctrine is the bible of every foreign policy thinker."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powell_Doctrine

Voted several times. Used ID every single time. Was fast, efficient.
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

What are the reasons against introducing universal mandatory ID's (rather than just for voting) anyway? You get one when you turn 16/18/whathaveyou, it includes a biometric image and a fingerprint and gets updated with your address whenever you move, so you can easily identify yourself just by showing your ID card.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Costin_Razvan's Avatar Campidoctor

What are the reasons against introducing universal mandatory ID's (rather than just for voting) anyway?
    There shouldn't be a reason frankly.
    "It's bizarre though. Donald Trump, an ageing, orange skinned reality TV star with a history of selling steaks and conning people, a trophy wife and one of the most fragile egos I've seen pretty much just destroyed the head of the interventionist faction in the US State apparatus, Victoria Nuland, after literally becoming President of the United states. We must live in one of the more interesting timelines."

"The Powell Doctrine is the bible of every foreign policy thinker."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powell_Doctrine

JCdestr0yer's Avatar Campidoctor
    A Village in the Kingdom in the North (Ireland)

Its logical to have ID to prove who you are.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast