Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seven Kingdoms v1.0 - Public Alpha Release

Appoanaxis's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: Seven Kingdoms v1.0 - Public Alpha Release

Congrats on the release! The mod is visually stunning. Seriously, the models are incredible and I'm amazed at how close you were able to get the appearances of the named characters compared to their real life inspirations. That said, there's currently too much similarity between the units. Besides the models looking different, all of the faction/bannermen rosters are pretty much identical, with the exception of Great Houses having a couple extra units.

The lack of any sort of stat disparity or faction-specific units is a bummer to me. It's just sort of weird to me how the units can have so much diversity in terms of appearance but be so identical in terms of gameplay. Are there any plans to add in more diversity between the factions in the future? In any case, keep up the good work and I'm super excited to see how far this mod goes. Good luck!

The strategy was to build a foundation of basic must-have units and then expand once we achieved good balancing between the factions. Each House should be able to compete against the others, so players aren't stuck with only the Lannisters or Starks if they want to win a multiplayer game. The challenge is in finding a way to balance ALL the Houses against each other on an individual basis. Adding unique, specialized units to one House gives them an advantage, which we must then counterbalance with the others. This is easy with House Martell, very difficult with House Frey or House Bracken.

There are already plenty of stat disparities - Greyjoy infantry have better stats to compensate for the lack of cavalry, the Dornish have extra archer units and archer stats to compensate for the lack of infantry, the Vale has the strongest cavalry in the game, Northern units (Stark, Umber, etc.) have higher defense since they're tougher soldiers. We'll expand on this and continue to add unique things for each faction but don't want to overcomplicate a show-based mod.
    Last edited by Blick Mang; December 04, 2016 at 09:38 PM.

First of all, great job guys! I just had one question.

Maybe this was already answered, but are there any plans to include naval units in the mod at some point down the line? Like Ironborn ships, etc?

Looking forward to watching this mod grow

Quote Originally Posted by SerPounce View Post
    First of all, great job guys! I just had one question.

Maybe this was already answered, but are there any plans to include naval units in the mod at some point down the line? Like Ironborn ships, etc?

Looking forward to watching this mod grow
    Yes, the Iron Islands are pretty much a non-actor until we get naval units and coastal raiding the way we want it. Ships are a big part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blick Mang View Post
    Thanks! The next content update (these will be released separately from basic bug/improvement patches) will consist of the Wildlings and the Whitewalkers. The fantasy aspect of Game of Thrones has so far been neglected and this should offer a new gameplay dynamic alongside traditional militaries. The Dothraki and Unsullied will be released closer to the start of Season 7, as they're based on new references in Westeros and we want them to mesh well with the existing theme.

We're not making a campaign unless CA updates the tools. Taking heat for this decision is better than taking heat for creating a half-working campaign where every engine limitation would need to be explained - on a sideways map of Europe.

Merci!
    I'd honestly go for the sideways map of Europe, something is better than nothing. I'd be a staunch defender of explaining why!! Haha

keona's Avatar Tiro

Thank you. Amazing job. We should have had GOT universe instead of Warhammer.

The 1.01 patch was released on Friday. Included changes:

- Balance & gameplay overhaul
    - Units renamed and localized per faction (e.g. Winterfell Levies)
    - Onagers fixed
    - Unit icons fixed
    - UI improvements
    - Maege Mormont added
    - Bolton pavise shields added
    - Custom Dornish spears added
    - Spear weapons added/fixed (e.g. 1 and 2 handed halberds)
    - Axe weapons added

DOWNLOAD: http://www.moddb.com/mods/seven-king...doms-alpha-v11

Just dropping in to congratulate you. Great job with the models and creating lore-friendly rosters. I'll try to rep the whole team.

Any plans for factions from Essos? (Sorry if this has been answered before)

Teutonic's Avatar Ordinarius

Thank you for the new patch! Also for the info on your future plans for the mod.

I played a few battles last night.
    I like the name changes for the units. You still kept the names simple and descriptive. This is fitting because the units so far are all "core" ones. E.g. others might have called Tyrell crossbowmen "Sharpshooters of the Golden Flower" or crap like this...
    The only names that don't feel 100% right are the top tier units called Knights because the mod is based mostly (the visuals entirely) on the TV show. Being knights would mean different crests, more noticeable difference in equipment, and even colours for each man.
    I would suggest something like Tyrell Household Cavalry, Arryn or Vale Household Infantry (Swords), etc. So you end up with (excepting the Ironborn):

Tier 3- House Household troops, directly employed/ oathsworn to the House and equipped and trained to the best ability of the House.
    Tier 2- House Men-at-Arms, good, reliable troops which the main Houses of Westeros can afford in large numbers to bolster their personal Household forces. The smaller vassal Houses have to do without them.
    Tier 1- Levies.

I like the battle AI, enemy forces staying more compact. The movement speed seemed slower, I think. I'm pretty sure that's intentional. The missile units are still a little deadlier than I prefer but less so than the previously.
    On the other hand, battles are still too quick. The killing rate is still too fast. The javelin units in particular, horse and foot both, are incredibly deadly. E.g. in the first battle I tried, Mormont outriders killed in the first 2 1/2 minutes nearly 300 Ironborn.

In my opinion what needs to be done now is to reduce the killing rate a lot more (lower attack, increase defense, tinker with the animations, etc). Also, to help realism and to prevent battles becoming too long, reduce morale. More for levies, less for Tier 2 and 3.

I know the mod is still WIP and the mod team has tested it more than I have, so these are just my opinions and feedback from just my own experience so far. Sorry for the long post and thank you for reading it if you managed to get this far

sorry if already answered, but where is house Targaryen?

ignore, came across the Q&A post.

house Stark for now then.
    Last edited by Fallen Angel Ezekiel; February 09, 2017 at 05:22 PM.

WOW! What an amazing MOD, downloading now, does this come with battle maps?

Not yet, they are planning to work on custom maps this summer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12