Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Officially Play Fourth Age TW: The Domion of Men | Rohan

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Default Let's Officially Play Fourth Age TW: The Domion of Men | Rohan

Here's something new. You're no doubt aware that progress on version 3.3 of the mod has been slow of late, this is mainly because real life has butted it's stressful head into my idyllic modding paradise, and I don't have a lot of spare time or energy for it right now. I don't want interest (my own, as well as yours) in the mod to just fade away, however, and I do have a bit of time to at least play, so last week I thought I'd just bite the bullet and try something that Count and I have discussed for a while now.

So, without further ado, here is the first episode of the FATW Official Let's Play of the Dominion of Men! I hope the sound, video etc etc quality is bearable, and that you enjoy the video!

edit - Dunno why embedding isn't working, just use the link instead Seems the ghost of MoN has embedded it for me, thanks mate!

Episode 1
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Episode 2

Episode 3

Episode 4

Episode 5

Episode 6

Ost-in-edhil Tutorial
    Last edited by webba84; December 16, 2016 at 10:22 PM. Reason: embedded for you ;)

Default Re: Let's Officially Play Fourth Age TW: The Domion of Men | Rohan

YES!!! I cannot wait to watch it. May have to wait until Wednesday as my visiting family has taken over my entertainment room.

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Great idea, I think it's just what is needed to promo the mod, rept Welcome to the world of Let's Play

Nice! Just watched it. I have a Rohan-specific question. Those 2 ancilliaries the faction leader has at game start, the horse giving extra movement points and the doorward, are they automatically showing up with the new leader once the current one dies, like Herumor does? I usually put them on my heir at game start. Don't see any use for them on the old leader.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Thanks guys, I hope its both enjoyable and useful! Wambat, Im terribly worried that you will be horrified when you see my playstyle (especially the way I use family members) - lazy really is an apt description

Dain, aside from Hermuor, ancillaries dont get automatically passed on (possessions that do are included as traits for greater reliability) so it is a good call to give those to your faction heir on turn 1. I would have done it except that I forgot which, as you can see, worked out alright this time .

Quote Originally Posted by webba84 View Post
    Thanks guys, I hope its both enjoyable and useful! Wambat, Im terribly worried that you will be horrified when you see my playstyle (especially the way I use family members) - lazy really is an apt description

Dain, aside from Hermuor, ancillaries dont get automatically passed on (possessions that do are included as traits for greater reliability) so it is a good call to give those to your faction heir on turn 1. I would have done it except that I forgot which, as you can see, worked out alright this time .
    Your generals have something way beyond being a careless fighter. Reminds me somewhat of the concept of suicide bombing. Maybe that one extra hitpoint from the horse would have made the difference in the first battle
    Thanks for pointing out that they are not passed on. If I remember right, next to Herumor, the charter of Tharbad also gets passed on to the next leader. It didn't apply for the crossed spears held by the Dorwinion faction leader though.

Quote Originally Posted by webba84 View Post
    Wambat, Im terribly worried that you will be horrified when you see my playstyle ...
    No worries; none of the LPs come close to my play-style, and that is a good thing. Watching me play this game would make your eyes bleed. You have probably observed that I have been on the same Dwarven campaign since 3.2 was released. I spend an insane amount of time fussing over the movements and actions of every unit. I quite often complete no more than a single turn in a day, and will go back to replay years of game time if I realize I forgot to do something "important".

I just replayed 4 turns when I realized I had forgotten to sell off my Troll Hoards before gifting provinces to a protectorate. It took me all day to replay those four turns; the worst part that a FM who had come of age with fantastic stats was spawned in the replay with every bad trait on the list. Not one redeeming trait. I honestly don't know what to do with him now.

I see views are right up there with our other LPers. Can we start posting videos of this mod on the Steam community hub for RTW?

webba84's Avatar Artifex

By all means, though I don't know how many extra viewers that's going to find us. Personally, if I want to watch videos about a game the steam community hub isn't the first place I think or (or the 191st for that matter).

Episode 2 up, by the way!
    Last edited by webba84; November 29, 2016 at 10:54 PM.

Youtube Let's Play is best way to go imo, I am member of Rome: Total War (closed group) on Facebook and have also posted your video and my channel up to try and help get it "out there" where it deserves to be
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; November 30, 2016 at 12:35 AM.
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Cheers mate, I'm terrible at publicity and promotion and all that, so I really appreciate the help.

My YouTuber friends tell me that it's important to post videos on steam- bigger piece of a smaller pie. I can never be bothered to do it myself, though.

Instructions for doing so here:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=181142704

Unfortunately, it does not seem to be something I can do for you, unless I can somehow post your videos to my youtube account, which would not be quite what we desire, I think. It does look quite straight forward and easy. I can't see any downside to free advertisement.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Fair enough, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for posting the instructions Wambat.

Your LP inspired me to start a new Rohan campaign. Going quite well. Found that is possible to besiege Dol Baran in turn 1, when moving infantry from Hornburg or cavalry from Edoras there first. The heir can only reach the neighbouring tile and not besiege himself, but he can join the besieging army. After that I took Dunfreca with an all-cavalry force, only recruiting mercenaries for the ram. Erindol is still held by rebels, didn't feel the need to move there yet. 3rd and 4th settlements i took were Calenhad and Feorfeld in the same turn. Feorfeld was planned, I besieged with 5 cavalry and 1 infantry, but they didn't have part of their garrison out of the city, so I waited for them to sally and could easily take the city center before killing all their units. In the same turn an opportunity showed up to besiege Calenhad. RK was besieging with a 200 strong army including catapults, so I moved a 7 unit strong cavalry army from Aldburg to assist in the siege. Adunabar sallied with their 700 units, but sent only their cavalry towards me, the rest towards the RK. I could also easily take the square with some 100-200 Adunabar troops still alive.

I have one Rohan-specific question regarding the specialization buildings (also affects the factions with cattle/sheep traders). Does the horse-trader building affect trade in general or only trade generated by horses? Halfway decent trade with horses I get in Aldburg and Easthold, so those were my favorite options. Entwade has good trade in general, thanks to bordering Hornburg, but doesn't make any money with horses. Would the horse trader have any effect here then? If only general trade matters, I might change my setup. Out of Aldburg, Entwade, and Easthold, two I want to make horse traders, and one the warhorse trainer specialization building to have a 2nd recruitment center besides Edoras. Woldburg and Dunfreca are planned for the metalsmiths, because they have armor upgrading industries available. Hornburg I don't know yet. I tend to build up the economics first and switch it to military later in order to produce Helmingas for governing.

The trade buildings increase total trade by a %. They do not specifically increase trade from one resource, except to the extent they require that resource in order to be built. What differs between the trade builings is what extra features they provide. Horse traders will enable either cavalry recruitment options or bonuses for some factions. Tanneries offer armor bonuses, I think. Fisheries give a health bonus. I think some others give trade bonus above the usual amount. The descriptions are vague, and you generally will not know the precise effects of the ultimate trade building until it is built. I tend to use the "process_cq" command to build the line of trade projects from a save point to see what would result.
    Last edited by Wambat; December 01, 2016 at 07:49 AM.

Alright thanks! Still a while till those settlements are ready for development. When total trade is affected, I will probably go with the trader specialization building in Aldburg and Entwade to push the trade with Calenhad and Hornburg to its limit, while having my main recruitment centers in Dunfreca, Edoras, and Easthold. That divides up nicely to protect the three borders.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Glad you're enjoying Rohan, Dain - I've always felt they were an inexplicably under-appreciated faction in DoM.

Episode 3 is up! This time a bit of information about faction leader authority and family member OoL (Opinion of Liege).

I am very impressed with the frequency of your uploads. I hope you are not in danger of burning yourself out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambat View Post
    I am very impressed with the frequency of your uploads. I hope you are not in danger of burning yourself out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast