Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Sea Total War Development

Default Great Sea Total War Development

UndyingNephalim has released the skeleton for Great Sea Total War. And he has stated that he has no wish to work on the text-based aspects. So you can guess what that means.

It means it's time to get to work.

I don't know how to use these text files, but from what I understand of the skeleton:

The Hylians and the Moblins already have their models/textures.
    The campaign map only has 4 regions, so that is likely still in development.
    The music is already finished and in there.
    There is no opening trailer yet, instead playing the TW2 opening.

So, looks like it's up to the community now. Even though I can't really work on text based things easily, here's something I can/did do: An Icon (not official) for the game. (If you make a shortcut for the game, make the shortcut go to the executable.bat, not the AUI.bat. Just trust me on this.)

Senator

Default Re: Great Sea Total War Development

I say make a 5 man team to handle unit stats and the like, I expect a lot of balancers are busy trying to balance the actual game first and foremost, so I'll volunteer to help with some of the unit stats for the ones with skeletons

Apani's Avatar Senator

From what I recall I'm the only one working on an overhaul project at the moment.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Apani View Post
    From what I recall I'm the only one working on an overhaul project at the moment.
    You were the primary example Apani, I know it's most just you

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

I probably should have been more specific about my involvement...

- I'll mess with text files still, I'm just avoiding them as much as possible. I'm leaving pretty much everything in terms of the battle_models.modeldb and EDU (and therefore all unit stats) up to the community. I generally spend up to 12 hours a day messing with text files, unit stats, and going through headdesking trial and error bug testing and it really does cut into actually finishing the things I really want to do. That's why I'm leaving most of the text file aspects to the community. No one likes my unit stats anyway.
    - I will be creating the Freeform campaign map.
    - I will be making all the model and texture files. I will also be doing the animations, and also the descr_skeleton file.

I feel right now the community should focus on getting the units put into battle_models.modeldb as well as working on their EDU entries. When all the models for all the factions are done we can shift into other areas like the freeform campaign.

Apani's Avatar Senator

I'll be onord to be your oldness' stick (italianism). Anyways, the animations are also a part of balancing. Attack and movement speed is controlled there.
    Last edited by Apani; December 31, 2014 at 04:15 PM.

Senator

Righto, so having finally gained the ability to download the file on this other computer 200 miles away from my house, I can see that the Moblins and the Hylians have their models complete in the 'unit_models' file. It also appears that the there are also unit models for Raaru and all five princess Zeldas in this file, along with Aquamarines and Tetra. It'll take me a while to get my head round this, but I'll check a few tutorials and the like and see if I can't get something going.

Also, having checked the actual EDU, most of the units appear to be the ones for the ships, so that'll be fun to check out at some point.

EDIT: If we're going with the original Hylian Units for Great Sea, I think that Apani has already balanced those stats, which makes things a little bit easier.
    Last edited by Lortano; December 31, 2014 at 04:23 PM.

Patrician Artifex

Eh if people are having trouble I'll just add in all the battlemodel entries when I have time, and leave all the EDU stats up in the air.

Apani's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Lortano View Post
    EDIT: If we're going with the original Hylian Units for Great Sea, I think that Apani has already balanced those stats, which makes things a little bit easier.
    Neph gave the faction its own land units. See here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ion-New-Hyrule

Quote Originally Posted by Apani View Post
    Neph gave the faction its own land units. See here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ion-New-Hyrule
    It says they have access to their HTW units as well

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by tedster1995 View Post
    It says they have access to their HTW units as well
    This is correct, or at least they are labelled that way.

Quick thought: What religions would be present in the great sea? With Majora blown to Termina there only seems to be the goddesses left. Will Bellum take his place? Will The Ocean King have his own faith?

Quote Originally Posted by jimiboy666 View Post
    Quick thought: What religions would be present in the great sea? With Majora blown to Termina there only seems to be the goddesses left. Will Bellum take his place? Will The Ocean King have his own faith?
    This seems like the perfect time to suggest a culture system, in place of religion, like in TATW and the Britannia campaign.
    Essentially, the religion percentage thing would be replaced with the percentages of the population that each culture (Hylian, Goron, Moblin, etc) makes up. You would need your culture to be at a certain level to be able to build units and buildings - 25% Hylian for your low-level barracks and units as New Hyrule, and 75% for your best units, for example. Maybe Priests could be replaced with a 'Settler' unit or something as well.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but religion doesn't play such a major part in GSTW as it does in HTW. I think a culture system would be more appropriate for this setting, as New Hyrule would realistically not be able to recruit its high-level units on an island that was very recently owned by Moblins, because New Hyrule is made up of the first wave of explorers and there would not be any Hylians already living on the island. Over time though, they can increase their share of the population (to represent settlement and colonisation) to the point where they have a population to draw troops from.
    Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by tf_ View Post
    This seems like the perfect time to suggest a culture system, in place of religion, like in TATW and the Britannia campaign.
    Essentially, the religion percentage thing would be replaced with the percentages of the population that each culture (Hylian, Goron, Moblin, etc) makes up. You would need your culture to be at a certain level to be able to build units and buildings - 25% Hylian for your low-level barracks and units as New Hyrule, and 75% for your best units, for example. Maybe Priests could be replaced with a 'Settler' unit or something as well.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but religion doesn't play such a major part in GSTW as it does in HTW. I think a culture system would be more appropriate for this setting, as New Hyrule would realistically not be able to recruit its high-level units on an island that was very recently owned by Moblins, because New Hyrule is made up of the first wave of explorers and there would not be any Hylians already living on the island. Over time though, they can increase their share of the population (to represent settlement and colonisation) to the point where they have a population to draw troops from.
    Thoughts?
    Yeah, but new hyrule is made up of lanayru zora units as well so the hylian culture doesn't really make sense for them.

Drazule's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by jimiboy666 View Post
    Yeah, but new hyrule is made up of lanayru zora units as well so the hylian culture doesn't really make sense for them.
    They did create New Hyrule together, not Lanayru-Hyrule. Remember that Lanayru was always part of Hyrule.

Good point. Maybe 'Hyrulean' instead then, to represent both, since I don't think there's any need for a separate 'Zora' culture when they're the only Zora in the game.
    I was also thinking of a 'Followers of Bellum' culture to represent the various races under his/its control, because otherwise there would be far too many cultures. It's a shameless rip-off of TATW, but it fits.

Drazule's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by tf_ View Post
    Good point. Maybe 'Hyrulean' instead then, to represent both, since I don't think there's any need for a separate 'Zora' culture when they're the only Zora in the game.
    I was also thinking of a 'Followers of Bellum' culture to represent the various races under his/its control, because otherwise there would be far too many cultures. It's a shameless rip-off of TATW, but it fits.

Well TA ripped it off of the England campaign where they have ethnicity instead of religion.

Patrician Artifex

Religion probably will be replaced in Great Sea, maybe with a new mechanic entirely. After all, when a giant sea squid deity is there tearing up entire islands it's pretty easy to abandon your Anouki tree spirits.

My current thought it something that leads to the arrival of either Bellum or the Ocean King, so basically two meters in conflict with each other.

By 'arrival of Bellum', do you mean as a faction or as a unit?

Well TA ripped it off of the England campaign where they have ethnicity instead of religion.
    I meant the 'Followers of ____' bit, specifically.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast