Thread: New to Scourge of War games

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Default New to Scourge of War games

Hi,

I have Take Command 2nd Manassas; Scourge of War Gettysburg 150th Anniversary and Scourge of War Waterloo with Quatre Bras and Ligny DLCs but I haven't played neither yet

I find the "panels" different from Total War series and Seven Years War game, seems to be more difficult. Where to start? Manual? Youtube? Game tutorials? What's the best way? ah... and... what's the best and easiest game of those mentioned to start with?

Thank you in advance

Default Re: New to Scourge of War games

You are right. I put this game down as well as the interface is frequently counter intuitive.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

The controls are dreadful and the UI baffling. For example, turning the mouse wheel to zoom is in the opposite direction to every other game. It seems a minor thing, but it's incredibly irritating to have to consciously reverse a really basic, instinctual PC gaming motor skill. I've put in three hours according to Steam just trying to get to grips with it. That includes the tutorial. There are tutorials on yout.ube, but they are around thirty minutes each and rather tedious. I watched a couple of them but found they're of little use since the controls in the videos don't resemble the ones in game. Are they modded controls? Updated? I don't know why.

Basically, like Destraex above, I put the game away. I told myself I'd try again one day, but honestly, I doubt I can be bothered.

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

I felt the same but after a time I gave them a try with Gettysburg. The interface is rather confusing and takes some time to get used to it. As a tactical simulator I suppose the learning curve is hard and the main problem respecting this is that requires lot of time. The main issue I am having is low fps sometimes, even in tutorials.

I haven't played Ultimate General games yet but I saw the video tutorials in Ultimate General Gettysburg and looks by far easier and more intuitive.