Thread: CTD on existing campaign after editing EDB

Default CTD on existing campaign after editing EDB

Hi.
    I'm playing with Call of Warhammer:BTET submod recently.
    After adding unit to EDB ( unit is already in EDU nabd BMDB for this faction), game crashes on campaign loading screen for existing campaign.
    If I start new campaign everything works fine ( tested ).
    I did stuff like that ( adding unit in middle of campaign) for DaC submod for Third Age and never come across this problem.
    Thx.

Default Re: CTD on existing campaign after editing EDB

It also crashes if I add faction ownership in EDU. I can use units in custom battle and start new campaign, but old one will CTD on loading campaign.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

For a valid entry the EDU ownership has to agree with the factions that recruit the unit in the EDB. I am guessing you made a format error in your entries, and unless you assigned a texture for that faction in the modeldb file you will end up with a silver surfer anyhow.

This tutorial should be helpful.

Thanks for reply, Gigantus.
    English is not my language, so maybe I'm explaining that wrong.
    Case 1) Unit is already in modeldb and EDU added to faction I'm playing in campaign. But is not recrutable by my faction. So after adding new line in EDB or even changing name unit in existing line - game crashes on loading old campaign. I still can play custom battles, or start new campaign with that faction, and recruit that unit in new campaign.
    Case 2) So I decided try to add unit from other faction. Edited modelDb and added ownership entry in EDU. Unit shows in custom battle, textures are fine. I can start new campaign fine. Old campaign saves crashing half way loading screen. Without changes in EDB.
    Case 3) Unit is in my faction, I can recruit it from some building, but I want to make it more available, so I added it in other buildings. The same scenario - Custom battle, new campaign are fine, old saves will crash on loading screen.

I guess I will start new campaign then or continue old one without changes in roaster.

Blog Entries

Looks certainly like a case of changes not being save game compatible if custom battle and new game are fine. If there was a formatting error then the new game at least would have crashed as well.

"I can start new campaign fine. Old campaign saves crashing half way loading screen"

No choice but to start a new game if you want the changes.

Could it be because the validation settings are enabled?

How can i disable them?

Look for these two lines in your config:

Code:
    validate_data = 1				## ensure game data files used in previous save match current campaign data files
    allow_validation_failures = 0                   ## prevent game to load if savegame or data validations fail
    That's set to "on".

Thank you

Don't know if I'm supposed to post here, but my problem is kinda similar.

I tried to slightly mod Rage of the Dark Gods, wanted to remove secondary weapons on Nuln Pikemen. I edited the EDU by changing

Code:
    stat_pri         8, 5, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 0, 1
    stat_pri_attr    spear, long_pike, spear_bonus_12
    stat_sec         10, 6, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, sword, 0, 1
    stat_sec_attr    no
    into

Code:
    stat_pri 9, 5, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_blade, piercing, spear, 0, 1
     stat_pri_attr spear, long_pike
    stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, melee_simple, blunt, none, 0, 1
    stat_sec_attr no
    I did this before in the same campaign, which worked, but I had to reinstall RodG after messing too much with the files. After reinstalling and playing the same campaign for a couple turns, I remembered I forgot to change the Pikemen again after reinstalling. This time after changing them, my saves won't load. New campaigns and custom battles do work with the changes. I also edited the .cfg file;

Code:
    validate_data = 1     # ensure game data files used in previous save match current campaign data files
    allow_validation_failures = 0  # prevent game to load if savegame or data validations fail
    to validate_data = 0 and allow_validation_failures = 1, but that didn't seem to work as expected.

Any help would be appreciated

Kind regards.

Blog Entries

Some stuff simply isn't save game compatible. In this case you have units in your save with the old settings but the reference in the EDU does not support that data.

The validate settings are only for hotseat players games, primarily to ensure that files between players are of the same version.

Also, what did you use to make the edits? It might seem an innocuous thing, but if you use Windows Notepad, chances are you've corrupted the EDU. Use Notepad++ or another proper editor.

Blog Entries

WORDpad is the devil, not Notepad.

His edits worked in custom battle and new campaigns, so it's not a formatting issue.

I've had plenty of issues that stem from people using Windows Notepad - it adds invisible characters that corrupt files. Never happens with Notepad++.

Blog Entries

I used the default Notepad for 8 years before switching to ++, can't recall ever having had a formatting issue. Wordpad however does the hidden character\formatting stuff by default - hence the standard question if Wordpad was used to edit TXT files. Most problems of Notepad can be traced back to using the 'save as' function incorrectly as here you can set the formatting (ANSI, UCS etc). Being able to set variable fonts is a pitfall as well.
    Last edited by Gigantus; December 13, 2016 at 09:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    I used the default Notepad for 8 years before switching to ++, can't recall ever having had a formatting issue. Wordpad however does the hidden character\formatting stuff by default - hence the standard question if Wordpad was used to edit TXT files. Most problems of Notepad can be traced back to using the 'save as' function incorrectly as here you can set the formatting (ANSI, UCS etc). Being able to set variable fonts is a pitfall as well.
    It was corruption by invisible characters in the EDU that made me switch to Notepad++ after all my initial modding being done with standard Notepad.

Blog Entries

Curious - any chance it could have been caused by someone uploading a corrupted dev file?

I am not discounting that it can happen, but it is rare. Certainly when compared with Wordpad. I recommend ++ wherever it comes to discussions like this as there you can be assured that it won't happen.

Just remembered - there is sometimes a problem when auto converting files from Unix to Windows (missing CR at line breaks I think), Withwnar (? - still can't remember his spelling after all these years) wrote that EOL fixing thread about it.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I am using lots of Nuln Pikemen in this campaign, where I wasn't before, so that's probably the reason it doesn't work anymore. Guess Ill finish this campaign and then change the EDU before starting a new one. Changes were made with both Notepad and Notepad++ btw, no difference in result at all.

Cheers!

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Just remembered - there is sometimes a problem when auto converting files from Unix to Windows (missing CR at line breaks I think), Withwnar (? - still can't remember his spelling after all these years) wrote that EOL fixing thread about it.
    Spelling = correct. Thank you.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...2#post13984052

I get the occasional EOL problem with Notepad++, usually (always?) when copy-pasting. I still love the editor though.