Thread: Appeal: Skinners - EBII needs you!

Default Appeal: Skinners - EBII needs you!

Greetings fans of Europa Barbarorum!

Work continues on expanding and improving the mod, but we're struggling with a shortage of resource in one particular area: skinners for units. That's the people who make the textures which overlay the unit models and give the wonderful final look of a unit. Without new skinners, unit production will slow right down, and we'll have 3D modellers unable to make any meaningful progress by themselves.

What we're looking for is someone with a good knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, who has some experience/understanding in painting textures for 3D models, as well as their associated normal maps. If that person also knew how to use 3DS Max to move around the UVs that would be great, but it's not necessary, we can provide ready-to-paint UV maps for our units. They would need to be able to adapt to and emulate the artistic style of the assets already in our mod, otherwise they wouldn't fit in with what we have, so it isn't total artistic freedom.

If that sounds like you, or someone you know, and you'd be interested in helping out, please get in touch. That could be on a temporary/commission basis (eg "I'll do 5 units") or for a longer-term arrangement if you want to join the team. Please apply here, with any examples you have of your work.

Also note, we are a multi-lingual team; if your primary language is any one of French, Italian, German, Polish, Slovenian, Russian, Spanish, Greek, Swedish, Arabic, Romanian or Croatian, and you prefer to converse in your native tongue, we can accommodate.

As ever, thank you for your support and remember to read more history.

- The Europa Barbarorum II Team
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; September 18, 2017 at 03:41 AM.

Default Re: Appeal: Skinners - EBII needs you!

Do you have any skinners left in your team?

We noticed that a polish guy and "shield factory" have gone missing. I started to learn this but it is so hard, moving and changing those files while i never was a coder. I hope there is some youtube videos how to skin and do certain tasks with medieval codes.

It's definitely a difficult task bordinis. I'm not sure how if there are really good in-depth video tutorials for how to texture(most guides are on forums), but I have started reading a few guides myself...It seems somewhat overwhelming to someone unskilled with photoshop. Nevertheless, I suggest you keep trying and wish you the best.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ome-recources) This tutorial seems pretty solid IMO--you've probably already read part of it. Regardless, this and another TATW texturing tutorial I've seen online are some of the better tutorials I've seen for this.
    Last edited by Genghis Skahn; November 22, 2016 at 03:47 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMRBtaesKfU

Here's one video of someone editing vanilla skins VERY minorly, which isnt much use to beginners. Plus, it's all in German AFAIK. Still, better than nothing I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by wermez View Post
    Do you have any skinners left in your team?
    Not dedicated ones. We have modellers who can also do their own skinning, and other modellers who prefer to focus on that alone. So until we find more skinners, only the former will be producing finished units.

Has the situation improved any? I ask because I've been looking around the totalwar subreddit the past few days. It seems decently active and might make a good place to make a call to arms thread during peak hours.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronp View Post
    Has the situation improved any? I ask because I've been looking around the totalwar subreddit the past few days. It seems decently active and might make a good place to make a call to arms thread during peak hours.
    We still need more skinners. It's still the case that we have more modellers than skinners, leading to backlogs of finished models without textures.

I've noticed a few grammar issues in some of the descriptions of things, are yall looking for proof-readers? It's not like it's terrible to read I'm just an English teacher so I have that available to use to help