Page 6 of 78 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415163156 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.2r released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.2d released!

Quote Originally Posted by LusitanianWolf View Post
    This battle confirmed my suspicions (mostly from custom battles) that even with new animations swordman still aren't very good at killing, even agaisnt low quality spearman.

But the performance of the Reglaya Mehrebay was again very uninpressive an I think both the enemy's elite peltastai units underperformed against my lightly armed troops as well.
    I'm just focusing on this one part, because it doesn't sync with playtest experience internally. Did you install the 4 new animation files in that separate zip linked in the first post?

Quote Originally Posted by parthian8 View Post
    AI Rome does indeed seem to prioritise peace with Epirus and war in the north, which is as z3n predicted it would play out. That "what if" Epirote empire continues to have a charmed life being in the healthy position of having no natural predators, with large and juicy cities like Capua and Thermon waiting to be gobbled up while its opponents are distracted elsewhere.
    In the one above, it sounds like AI-Epeiros reinforced Taras - "Still controls Taras and the bulk of their army is there", which is different behaviour to usual. If they're active in southern Italy, why shouldn't that have an impact.

Worth remembering that AI-Rome is as impacted by the problem with offices as the human player, so that may be impact their autoresolve performance. I'll wait and see what the pattern is with 2.2e before considering any changes there. Given the alternative is simply allowing AI-Rome to hare off into Gaul and Germania from the start, I'm not encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by bordinis View Post
    Where to get program to skin units and where is the begginers guide?
    You need Photoshop, and have a look at the pinned guides here.

When I play for the pontos, on 29 turn I recieve a script message, that ptolemaioi army want to help to the sinope, and ask me if I want to build fleet to destroy there army ib sea, I press YES and near sinope I saw ptolemaioi fleet with army on board, and also my Script fleet, I send it to battle, but lose, my fleet destroed, on the next turn my spy in that region show me that no more ptolemaioi fleet, but 1 stuck of ptolemaioi army stay in the sea, and did not moved, and not possible to destroy by my army.

P.S. Sinope was rebel town on that turn and after.

Quote Originally Posted by Balkan Beast View Post
    I think rather than outright invading it'd be nice if the AI would try to extract tributes sometimes. If the AI was this aggressive toward each other as they were toward the player this map would look different.
    I actually get this from time to time. Makedonia threatened "Pay or War" early in one of my Epeiros games, and I got it from both Baktria and Seleukids when playing as Parthia.

AI Rome does indeed seem to prioritise peace with Epirus and war in the north, which is as z3n predicted it would play out. That "what if" Epirote empire continues to have a charmed life being in the healthy position of having no natural predators, with large and juicy cities like Capua and Thermon waiting to be gobbled up while its opponents are distracted elsewhere.
    We've introduced some changes that should make life in Taras especially unpleasant for the AI-Epeiros player.
    EBII Council

I don't want to get too hung up on Rome, because it is only one faction. But for me it is no fun playing any of the European or North Africa powers for so long as Rome behaves nothing like Rome. Most of the other factions behave something like their historic counterparts....Carthage targets North Africa and Spain, the Seleucids and Ptolemies fight over the Levant, Syria and Anatolia, the Parthians try to overrun Parthia. Meanwhile, the great Mediterranean power of the age had it's eyes set on the Baltic. I have always believed this is because it is easier for the AI to persuade itself to conquer Cisalpine Gaul rather than take on Epirus early in the game. Once it gets set on that route, it stays on it. I can't help thinking Epirus has such a strong presence in Taras to increase its survivability and that magical "what if" potential rather than because the war of 272 was a damn near run thing. It wasn't. Tarentum was quickly to become yesterday's town anyway, as the Via Appia was shortly to arrive in Brundisium, which is where the action was for the full span of this game, apart from that tiny Pyrrhus bit at the start. In short, Rome gets off on the wrong track and stays on it largely, in my view, because of a sideshow that was in no way some huge turning point in history. That Rome, which had ruthlessly crushed the cities of Italy, should be portrayed as chillaxed about the presence of a foreign KING, with which it is at war, on it's own peninsular, is just plain odd.

I don't want to get too hung up on Rome, because it is only one faction. But for me it is no fun playing any of the European or North Africa powers for so long as Rome behaves nothing like Rome. Most of the other factions behave something like their historic counterparts....Carthage targets North Africa and Spain, the Seleucids and Ptolemies fight over the Levant, Syria and Anatolia, the Parthians try to overrun Parthia. Meanwhile, the great Mediterranean power of the age had it's eyes set on the Baltic. I have always believed this is because it is easier for the AI to persuade itself to conquer Cisalpine Gaul rather than take on Epirus early in the game. Once it gets set on that route, it stays on it. I can't help thinking Epirus has such a strong presence in Taras to increase its survivability and that magical "what if" potential rather than because the war of 272 was a damn near run thing. It wasn't. Tarentum was quickly to become yesterday's town anyway, as the Via Appia was shortly to arrive in Brundisium, which is where the action was for the full span of this game, apart from that tiny Pyrrhus bit at the start. In short, Rome gets off on the wrong track and stays on it largely, in my view, because of a sideshow that was in no way some huge turning point in history. That Rome, which had ruthlessly crushed the cities of Italy, should be portrayed as chillaxed about the presence of a foreign KING, with which it is at war, on it's own peninsular, is just plain odd.
    There's been spirited discussion on this recently, and suffice to say you will see changes in this area. Only time will tell how the AI will react over the long term, but it should minimize instances of Epeiros hampering Rome from the south. One of the problems we've had is that Rome has a predilection for expansion into the deep North, and weakening the AI in northern Italy only encourages them to go there before the AI factions in that region have had time to build and consolidate.

Another option is to "guide" a chosen AI faction in a particular direction. Of course it could be seen as a bit gamey, but nothing stops the human player from conquering Taras and giving it to Rome. Same goes for a foothold on Sicily or in Iberia. As to the latter, the CAI is a lot more interested in Naval Invasions, so don't be surprised to see a naturally occurring "war of the islands" involving Carthage and Rome.
    EBII Council

Epeiros' starting presence in Taras is weak; it has a six-unit garrison of scratched together troops, starting turmoil in the settlement, a Rebel rover blocking the road to the port and it's main force in Greece.

In Balkan Beast's game, it responded to that situation by reinforcing it.

By contrast, AI-Rome's position is strong, they have a consular army within a turn's distance of Taras.
    Last edited by QuintusSertorius; November 20, 2016 at 01:13 PM.

Quintus,

If it is inclined to send the bulk of its troops there, then it is only deceptively weak. The truth is the while while I've seen AI Rome take Taras once or twice, I've seen AI Epirus take Arpi and Capua in the bulk of all the many, many games I've played.

Thank you for the updates, Kull.

I haven't got any Pontos missions during my Pontos campaign (only 60 turns in though). Am I supposed to have missions?

Quintus,

If it is inclined to send the bulk of its troops there, then it is only deceptively weak. The truth is the while while I've seen AI Rome take Taras once or twice, I've seen AI Epirus take Arpi and Capua in the bulk of all the many, many games I've played.
    That reinforcement is new behaviour; we haven't seen that before. Usually Pyrrhos would sweep up Thermon or Korinthos as their opening move. Perhaps the magnitude of the threat there has changed the AI's calculation.

Quintus

Has the size of the Roman army at Arpi changed? It doesn't appear so. You were telling me yesterday about other moves to force Rome south. But z3n still seemed confident that Rome would sue for peace with Epirus and take its armies north. About which he was right.

Hi all
    I've followed the installation instructions to the letter but now I'm not even able to open the game let alone play it. The screen goes 3/4 black for a 30 seconds before getting the beautiful red and black EB2 loading screen only (normal) for it to suddenly return to windows with no error message (deffo not normal!) or anything. Never had this problem before. I'm scratching my head at the moment. I've tried running the launcher (I'm using steam MTW2) as admin but still no luck.

HELP!

I'm having a similar issue. I'm using a mac, and I installed 2.2b and d. Custom battle crashes before it goes to the loading screen, and when I click on Grand Campaign, it just crashes with no error message. I can't find my logs folder either, even though I have the cfg set to [log] to = mods/ebii/logs/eb.system.log.txt
    level = * trace

I don't know what it's like for Mac, but does that log folder exist? On Windows at least it won't automatically make the missing folder so it just fails to write a log.

Nevermind, the game is now working fine. I had to uninstall 2.2 and re install along with all the other parts and then install 2.2d again.

Quick question about the raiding script tho: can you raid eleutheroi territories? Or does it only work with the playable factions? I'm trying to do this with my saka playthough but it doesn't seem to be happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Custard View Post
    Nevermind, the game is now working fine. I had to uninstall 2.2 and re install along with all the other parts and then install 2.2d again.

Quick question about the raiding script tho: can you raid eleutheroi territories? Or does it only work with the playable factions? I'm trying to do this with my saka playthough but it doesn't seem to be happening.
    You mean uninstall 2.2b, right? You should have uninstalled 2.2 a long time ago.

You can raid any enemy territory, any province that isn't held by you. It works for all nomadic/barbarian factions, settled ones don't get it. It takes 2 turns of being in the same place to have an effect.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    You mean uninstall 2.2b, right? You should have uninstalled 2.2 a long time ago.

You can raid any enemy territory, any province that isn't held by you. It works for all nomadic/barbarian factions, settled ones don't get it. It takes 2 turns of being in the same place to have an effect.
    Apologies 2.2b is what I meant. I uninstalled 2.2b and installed it again and then added 2.2d + animations.

I'm not seeing the raiding tho, my armies are on the same enemy spot for two turns and although the area gets devastated/burnt I don't seem to be getting the 800 minai it's not even appearing on my finance reports. Other than that I can see the other changes that you guys have done.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Custard View Post
    Apologies 2.2b is what I meant. I uninstalled 2.2b and installed it again and then added 2.2d + animations.

I'm not seeing the raiding tho, my armies are on the same enemy spot for two turns and although the area gets devastated/burnt I don't seem to be getting the 800 minai it's not even appearing on my finance reports. Other than that I can see the other changes that you guys have done.
    Is the devastating army led by an FM? The condition is GeneralDevastatesTile - which suggests it only works with a character.

Lusotanne - Controls the Western portion of Hispania.
    Auruakoi - Controls the eastern corner of Hispania.
    Carthage - Controls southern hispania and north africa.
    Rome - Hasn't expanded at all.
    Epeiros - Has expanded on the Adriatic coast and held onto Taras.
    Aedui/Arveni - Both have held central gaul, rest of gaul is full of small tribes. Same with cisalpine gaul and northern italy.
    Boii - Controls central eastern europe.
    Lugians - They control the area of Poland and Pomerania.
    Swezboz - Control northern germany. Haven't really expanded.
    Pritanoi - Slowly taking the south of Britain. Only taken one city so far.
    Getai - Stuck in Romania with only one city.
    Makedonia - Holds the central balkans and has soldiers around Singidunon. The northwest balkans is independent.
    Koinoin Hellenon - Controls a portion of Anatolia, Cyrenica, Syracuse, and southern greece.
    Bosphorus - Controls Bosphorus basically and hasn't really expanded.
    Sarmatia - Controls the western steppes.
    Pergamon - Controls northwestern anatolia and parts of Thrace.
    Pontus - controls eastern anatolia mostly.
    Hayasdan - Forced back to Trebizond and western georgia. They tried to invade Pahlava but were repelled and lost most of the southern Caucasus.
    Nabatu - Controls Sinai and Jerusalem. Has transformed into a regional power between Ptolemai and Seleucids.
    Ptolemai - Has lost a province to Koinoin and several to the Seleucids in anatolia., They only control one city there now. They control Egypt but haven't expanded into Nubia or western egypt.
    Saba - Controls half of Southern Arabia, expanding slowly.
    Taka - Controls most of Northwest India. They have recently invaded Pahlava and are currently sieging Baktra.
    Baktria - Attempted to invade Pahlava about six years ago and several times before. They lost all but one province essentially and have remained peaceful for some time.
    Saka - Recently invaded Pahlava. They took two of the northern provinces from Pahlava but were pushed back at one.
    They control the eastern steppes.
    Hayasdan - Controlled a decent area of the Caucasus with Sarmatia. However after recently invading Pahlava they lost almost all their provinces to them. They now only control a few provinces on the coast of the Black sea.
    Seleucids - Has been losing a series of wars with Pahlava but despite this has managed to stand firm in Anatolia. They control southern anatolia and have a solid line in the north Levant. They're at peace with the pahlava currently and are very weak.
    Pahlava - Started out as a tiny province in the Khivan region but aggressively expanded throughout the area. They invaded the Seleucids several times and have largely been on the offensive. When a neighbor would invade them the Pahlava would peace out with the Seleucids. Baktria was the first to try and lost Baktria to Pahlava. Hayasdan was the second and again lost.
    The Pahlava economy is MASSIVE. makes tens of thousands of mnai because of mines and other economic improvements. Their cheap armies also lets them be easily transformable into an empire. I haven't had issues beating any of my neighbors at any point. The only difficult I ever had was at the beginning my armies outweighed the cost of my treasury. Through aggressive expansion I surpassed those flaws and took resources that could make me rich enough to do anything. I have been enslaving provinces as I expanded into the Persian Empire area. I haven't had any problems keeping stable as I have expanded. The only city that was hard to control was baktria initially because I occupied it. After losing it once I exterminated the populace and haven't had a problem since. Still trying to get the reform so I can control those provinces better. I field four armies on each of my borders. The two in the west have been fighting against the Haikh but have lost steam recently after several sieges. One is still active in the area and besieging the last rebel province left.
    In the east the army has been fighting against the Saka and is now going on the offensive. While this occurred the Indians have tried to invade Baktria. Once I've taken a few provinces from Saka I will hopefully get them to make peace and can focus on repelling the Taka. The Taka sent a full stack to attack Baktria while my forces were busy. I've recently recruited a ton of agents to explore the map and make it easier for me to do diplomacy more quickly. Compared to other campaigns I've done... The Pahlava are way overpowered when controlled by a player.

Is it not possible to give Rome those 'hidden targets' that the game has? I am fairly sure that there is something that makes certain factions always declare war over the same region for example.

It was explained to me in a RTW mod that there is some sort of 'claim' that can be added to region and can be used to guide expansion in certain directions.

Is this still true for M2TW?