Page 30 of 78 FirstFirst ... 520212223242526272829303132333435363738394055 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.2r released!

Default Re: Announcement: Europa Barbarorum II 2.2g released!

Huh... those resources must be pretty common, as I do not recall not being able to build that building. Anyhow, will check during next play.

Thanks!

hello,i have been playing some custom and campaign battles to test the unit stats out and have found that the skirmisher units to be a bit on the overbuffed side,basic akontistai can decimate hoplite units with a few volleys frontally.
    werent the slingers,archer etc units used to skirmishing with the enemies skirmishers units while the battle lines deployed?
    also are you planning to overhaul the hellenistic armies units,they share almost the same units and especially the elite ones share the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by sarpedon21 View Post
    hello,i have been playing some custom and campaign battles to test the unit stats out and have found that the skirmisher units to be a bit on the overbuffed side,basic akontistai can decimate hoplite units with a few volleys frontally.
    werent the slingers,archer etc units used to skirmishing with the enemies skirmishers units while the battle lines deployed?
    What version are you playing? The missile hit rate is quite low in 2.2g, and what do you mean by "decimate"? I've never seen them doing all that much damage to heavy infantry frontally.

Skirmishers should be used against other skirmishers, in the main.

also are you planning to overhaul the hellenistic armies units,they share almost the same units and especially the elite ones share the same name.
    No, they used the same units. The variability of Hellenistic rosters comes from the regional units they have access to, not having different Greek ones.

im playing version 2.2g

im also prety sure that the seleucids elite phalanx was called argyraspides,the macedonian standard phalanx chalkaspides,everything standard regarding phalanx in game is called phalanx and all the elites agema

im playing version 2.2g
    Then I don't know what to tell you, that's lower than it was in 2.2f, gone from 0.35 to 0.175.

im also prety sure that the seleucids elite phalanx was called argyraspides,the macedonian standard phalanx chalkaspides,everything standard regarding phalanx in game is called phalanx and all the elites agema
    Agema is a catch-all term for elite guards. They have different textures and look different in-game. Using a slot each just for the sake of giving them faction-specific names is a waste of slots. It's the same reason pezhetairioi and kleruchoi phalanxes were folded together into one Phalangitai unit.

As I said, you won't get variety in the Greek units (besides any factional textures and specific regional availability) available to Hellenistic factions. That is not going to change. You get variety through the different regional rosters they can draw upon.

playing as parthia h/m turn 40. All good so far. Just wanted to say that closing the bosporus straits seems to have changed the dynamic somewhat in Asia Minor. Pergamon has gone south and kicked out egypt (and have got sardis as well but are still allied to AS?) I would be interested to know if this is common or not. Cheers for the update. How many cataphract / generals should I have in my main army? Currently have 3 with another 10 cavalry archers and skirmishers and some infantry. Is this about right?

@quintus is it possible to rename them manually for each faction?

Quote Originally Posted by sigurdr View Post
    playing as parthia h/m turn 40. All good so far. Just wanted to say that closing the bosporus straits seems to have changed the dynamic somewhat in Asia Minor. Pergamon has gone south and kicked out egypt (and have got sardis as well but are still allied to AS?) I would be interested to know if this is common or not. Cheers for the update. How many cataphract / generals should I have in my main army? Currently have 3 with another 10 cavalry archers and skirmishers and some infantry. Is this about right?
    Maximum one of each generals/cataphracts - there are historical Parthian compositions in the document attached to the historical compositions thread.

@quintus is it possible to rename them manually for each faction?
    No, units cannot have faction-specific names, this is what I'm trying to tell you. Every entry in the EDU can only have one name, for all factions that can recruit it. The only way they can have faction-specific names is if they are using a separate unit slot. I don't think anyone really wants to see us lose four other units slots just so that each elite phalanx can have it's own faction-specific name.

Damn

if i copied the phalanx entry in the edu to create a new chalkaspides phalanx entry would it work?

cheers quintus. Looks my battles are going to be even more tricky than before. Those compositions are awesome!! Not that I mind, but will that not be a massively inferior army to a polybian consular army? The cost of a parthian army in upkeep will be significantly less than the recommended roman army I think. Hopefully the AS don't have to many troops around when I invade...

how did you achieve that?! i tried Saka last night (campaign) and if anything it feels that missiles need a bit of a buff, not the other way around: 3-4 units of my HA struggled to decimate a unit of medium hoplites firing at them from the sides and rear. even Persian spearmen prove hard to crack and you need a lot of concentrated missile fire to obliterate a unit, meaning concentration of a few HA type units on a single enemy unit, which is obviously a luxury one can hardly afford when facing a solid enemy stacks.

Well there are units like eastern/western iranian archers, which have the exact same stats except some slightly different clothing. And other things like levy legionaries, epirote bodyguards (why not same as other hellenistic ones?), etc. So it looks to me like the criteria isnīt being applied the same for all.

@quintus how can I create new units from an existing one,for example copying the basic phalanx and assigning different name for each faction?

Quote Originally Posted by Hellenikon View Post
    Well there are units like eastern/western iranian archers, which have the exact same stats except some slightly different clothing. And other things like levy legionaries, epirote bodyguards (why not same as other hellenistic ones?), etc. So it looks to me like the criteria isnīt being applied the same for all.
    It is the same criteria; are the units interesting and significantly different enough to merit using up a valuable unit slot. Multiple variations on essentially the same unit (elite Makedonians or Makedonian-styled Greeks) doesn't need more than one slot, which is why Hetairoi, Hypaspistai, Peltastai Makedones and Agema Phalangitai all get by just fine with one unit slot, one model and different textures.

Western and Eastern Archer-Spearmen are people who looked and dressed differently (seriously, Syrian and the Levant, compared to central Asia), and using the same unit across such a wide span of distance and cultures would be strange. Epeiros wasn't simply another Makedonian-styled monarchy, which is why their companions are different. Levy legionaries are nothing like the regular Cohors, indeed they didn't appear except in times of strife when various powers were trying to raise armies rapidly.

@quintus how can I create new units from an existing one,for example copying the basic phalanx and assigning different name for each faction?
    It's a lengthy and multifaceted process, for which you'll need Notepad++ and a lot of patience. It isn't just an edit of the EDU. Are you prepared to edit multiple files (EDU, EDB, export_units, unit cards)?

Yes if you have the time tell me how to do it or give a link with instructions

Yes if you have the time tell me how to do it or give a link with instructions
    In the EDU:
    1) Copy the entry you want. Change the type and dictionary lines to something else. Note the dictionary has to be separated by underscores.
    2) Adjust the ownership and era lines to suit.

In the export_units.txt:
    1) Add a new entry (copying the existing format) that matches the dictionary entry for your unit.
    2) Change the name towards the top.
    3) Make whatever other changes desired to their description.

Unit/info cards: Go to data\ui\unit_info\ and data\ui\units\
    1) Find the faction concerned's subfolder in each of those two, and copy the card for the original unit.
    2) Rename the files to match the dictionary entry you used in the EDU.

In the EDB (export_descr_buildings.txt)
    1) Find the Basilike Patris building for the faction concerned (eg for the Ptolemaioi it's the ptolemaioi7 level of the govptolemaioi building).
    2) Find the recruit_pool line for the original unit, change the name between the quotation marks for the new type entry you put in the EDU.

Start a new game for the changes to have effect, the validation check will prevent previous saves from loading.

Thanks

It might just be because I am playing Parthia, but AS seem way overpowered. I am in turn 80 and they have taken two provinces in egypt proper, palestine and cyprus from ptolemy. Pontus attacked them which was a mistake as AS has started beating them up as well. I am about to invade purely on the grounds of trying to keep other nations alive and distract the AS. I don't want a return to the grey death. AS also is allied to everyone and is trustworthy. They seem a bit overpowered. Anyone else seeing this? Everywhere else on the map seems reasonably balanced.