Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RMV2 Converter v1.1

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

Icon3 RMV2 Converter v1.1

Wanted to export Rome 2 or Attila models but didn't know how? Then this tool is for you!

With RMV2 Converter you will be able to:

• Export any Rome2 and Attila .rigid_model_v2 file to .dae file format (you can read .dae in any 3D editor);
    • RMV2 exports: buildings, ships, skeletons, weighted models, weapons, campaign map models, siege engines and far more;
    • You can watch rigid_model_v2 files statistic without converting these files (statistic shows all groups in file, their vertices and indices count, rigid_material and skeleton name for all LODs).

Please, take a note!
    This tool is not tested with everything possible, so in case you will encounter any bugs, please make sure to report it in this thread or in my PM.
    You could be interested, does this tool work with Total War WARHAMMER? The answer is yes and no. You can export some of WH assets, and some you cannot. I'll be looking through this in future.

Future plans:

• Make this tool export R2/Attila/WH animations;
    • Make this tool support WH for 100%;
    • Make a couple of tutorials how this tool can be used;
    • Bug fixes.

Worth to mention, this tool also works with custom skeleton, in case you have made new asset and skeleton and put it to game, this tool supports custom-made assets&skeletons.

I'd love to hear your feedback and suggestions, what to add, what to fix, what to change. Feel free to share your ideas!

Credits:
    Zarathos - for his help and his RMV2 and anim file formats decoding sheets;
    Causeless - for his help with some modules for this tool, also helped to decode skeletons.
    UU3D dev - for sharing some useful information.

Download links:
    Mega
    Gdrive

Installation:
    Extract everything from .zip file and make sure you have both .exe and .config file in same path with /skeletons/ directory.

P.S. I'm really impressed with this kind of work. So me, Causeless and everyone familiar with binary files parsing possibly can try other file formats (such as campaign map files )
    Last edited by Mr.Jox; November 16, 2016 at 11:17 AM. Reason: UPDATE: version 1.1 added!

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: RMV2 Converter v1.0

first post to welcome in a new age of total war modding.!!!!!

++++++++++++++++rep

Great to see the release!

Fantastic work - can't wait to see animation exporting
    modificateurs sans frontières

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Amazing resource!

Before this, so far as I know, the only tool able to extract .rigid_model_v2_file was Ultimate Unwrap (which is a commercial program, about 60 bucks), and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would prefer not to buy an entire program just for the sake of being able to export models from the game (for modding purposes). I'd rep you if I could, but I fear I've already done so for some other tutorial of yours .
    Under the patronage of Finlander, of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    Amazing resource!

Before this, so far as I know, the only tool able to extract .rigid_model_v2_file was Ultimate Unwrap (which is a commercial program, about 60 bucks), and I'm sure I'm not the only one who would prefer not to buy an entire program just for the sake of being able to export models from the game (for modding purposes). I'd rep you if I could, but I fear I've already done so for some other tutorial of yours .
    Besides the fact it's free, it also has some things fixed: The skeleton and geometry are not mirrored, you can export all lods and not only a single, vertex normals are not random but taken from file itself and few more. You'll notice that when compare features.
    Last edited by Mr.Jox; November 11, 2016 at 12:34 PM.

Stealth4Health's Avatar Civis

Again, great work!

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

jox you should make threads for this in the rome 2 workshop and maybe warhammer as well.

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Ok, I made a few tests of the converter. I was able to import models without a skeleton (weapons and shields), and also a helmet (bel_koblenz), but for some reason trying to import tunics or armour resulted in a crash. I wonder if there is something wrong with my import settings (I'm using 3dsmax 2014 SP5), or if the problem is with the .dae files the converter generates. I tested with att_bel_tunic_game_basic_big, att_cha_bronze_byz_lamellar and some random hauberk (heavy_chainmail_armour_top_01, I think it was). In any case the problem seems pretty consistent, since none of these tests were succesful. Are you able to import any of these into 3dsmax succesfully Mr.Jox?

Edit:
    A few further tests: I was able to succesfully import trousers (the celtic tartan trousers) and another helmet (one of the generic spangenhelms), however, trying to import a cloak (generic_elite_cloak_02) resulted in a crash.
    Last edited by Charerg; November 15, 2016 at 04:09 PM.

Stealth4Health's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Charerg View Post
    Ok, I made a few tests of the converter. I was able to import models without a skeleton (weapons and shields), and also a helmet (bel_koblenz), but for some reason trying to import tunics or armour resulted in a crash. I wonder if there is something wrong with my import settings (I'm using 3dsmax 2014 SP5), or if the problem is with the .dae files the converter generates. I tested with att_bel_tunic_game_basic_big, att_cha_bronze_byz_lamellar and some random hauberk (heavy_chainmail_armour_top_01, I think it was). In any case the problem seems pretty consistent, since none of these tests were succesful. Are you able to import any of these into 3dsmax succesfully Mr.Jox?

Edit:
    A few further tests: I was able to succesfully import trousers (the celtic tartan trousers) and another helmet (one of the generic spangenhelms), however, trying to import a cloak (generic_elite_cloak_02) resulted in a crash.
    I have just tried the att_bel_tunic_game_basic_big and the generic_elite_cloak_02 (using the Autodesk import preset configuration) and had no problems. 3ds Max 2014 as well.

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Hmm, they still cause a crash for me. Any idea what the problem could be? Maybe something plugin-related (the crash seems to occur while "reading motion file")?
    Last edited by Charerg; November 16, 2016 at 03:31 AM.

Did you try to convert with the first tool version, or tried to do that with the latest tool? (I updated links a day ago, make sure you have the latest version, it has some critical fixes).

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Jox View Post
    Did you try to convert with the first tool version, or tried to do that with the latest tool? (I updated links a day ago, make sure you have the latest version, it has some critical fixes).
    Allright, I downloaded the new version, and tested out with att_bel_tunic_game_basic_big, and this this time I was able to import it succesfully. So, yeah, seems to be working now. I'll test it more thoroughly later, and report back if I come across any more problems.

Default Re: RMV2 Converter v1.1

Quick update:
    - fixed wrong normals and positions for non-skeletal assets (weapons, shields, ships, buildings);
    - improved weights conversion;
    - fixed wrong normals and weights for cinematic assets;
    - fixed some minor bugs;
    - made a demo version of animation exporter but it's buggy as of yet.

Known bugs:
    - assets with many groups have wrong LODs and meshes (mostly occurs for ships);
    - assets are not in axis origins (occurs for ships and buildings);
    - animations are messed up;

I have tried to import the file to Substance Painter and Motion Builder. Both were successful. 4 LODs are not really a good option to texture in Substance Painter, so I will look for additional options to allow user to export as many LODs as he needs.
    As soon as I'm done with animations and other knows bugs I'll release this tool for ROME II as well. After that I'll be looking how to export WARHAMMER assets and how to bring new assets to WARHAMMER (if possible).

Quick update:
    - fixed wrong normals and positions for non-skeletal assets (weapons, shields, ships, buildings);
    - improved weights conversion;
    - fixed wrong normals and weights for cinematic assets;
    - fixed some minor bugs;
    - made a demo version of animation exporter but it's buggy as of yet.

Known bugs:
    - assets with many groups have wrong LODs and meshes (mostly occurs for ships);
    - assets are not in axis origins (occurs for ships and buildings);
    - animations are messed up;

I have tried to import the file to Substance Painter and Motion Builder. Both were successful. 4 LODs are not really a good option to texture in Substance Painter, so I will look for additional options to allow user to export as many LODs as he needs.
    As soon as I'm done with animations and other knows bugs I'll release this tool for ROME II as well. After that I'll be looking how to export WARHAMMER assets and how to bring new assets to WARHAMMER (if possible).
    Mr Jox, thanks for the program. I have some questions to ask though since i am only the beginner. I was able to export some siege engine models like siege tower and siege ladder and messed with them using blender program. What confuses me is that i saw similar models overlapping each other. Do you know the purpose of this?
    And one more thing is that after you edit models, how can you import them back into the rome 2. Thanks. hoping your response

Quote Originally Posted by theemperor1993 View Post
    Mr Jox, thanks for the program. I have some questions to ask though since i am only the beginner. I was able to export some siege engine models like siege tower and siege ladder and messed with them using blender program. What confuses me is that i saw similar models overlapping each other. Do you know the purpose of this?
    And one more thing is that after you edit models, how can you import them back into the rome 2. Thanks. hoping your response
    Hello.
    Several models are different LODs (Level of Details which is used for better performance, so at different camera distance game loads different models. The further u are from the object, the less polygons is used).
    To put it all back to game, follow any tutorial how to bring an external asset to game. You will have to export vanilla textures, apply them to material in 3d max, add a custom attribute "rigid_material" and export as cs2. Make a proper rules.bob file and convert using bob.

Thank you for your effort Mr.Jox!

When I tried to use this to open the Steam Tank hull model (emp_steam_tank01.rigid_model_v2) the program give me a msg "Could not read the file from disk. Original error:Value was either too large or too small for a Decimal."
    I uploaded the file for anyone who is interesting to check out further.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

If you appreciate the significance of this tool for furthering TW modding, don't forget to vote for this tool in the TWC best resources award.

Can this be made compatible with STW2 (and DLC's FOTS and ROTS)?

Well yeah in fact it can be made compatible with etw, ntw, s2tw, wtw and w2tw. It just requires time which I don't have at the moment.

Well yeah in fact it can be made compatible with etw, ntw, s2tw, wtw and w2tw. It just requires time which I don't have at the moment.
    Oh, well if you ever have the time. Much appreciated. I use UU3D to export the files. But the size is not really the same if you export as OBJ. And some other stuff...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast