Thread: Donald's First 100 Days and Before

Default Re: Donald's First 100 Days and Before

Protectionism does distort market forces, whether that's either fair or smart.

But you also have to distinguish between rural/suburban needs for vehicles, and what's likely to be the most advantageous for urban based ones.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    The only thing Trump haters can be accused of is swallowing up every anti-Trump headline they could fine.
    'Muricans gonna 'Murica. The degree of pap consumption on all sides is depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyama View Post
    Otherwise Trump has been terrible so far and has shown not a single care in the world about anyone's critique.
    Bit early to call Trump anything yet. He's picked a fairly smelly cabinet but that's the nature of US politics, a Hilary cabinet would have had some disgusting people in it too. As for not caring about critiques, that's starting to sound like a party line too. He doesn't respond according to the politician's playbook (potentially an excellent thing, but I'm a pessimist so lets wait and see), he does jump if he gets poked on Twitter: his stimuli haven't been fully mapped but he's hardly ironclad.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Quote Originally Posted by Acco View Post
    Less about quality and more about different market conditions. American cars are usually considered too big and the fuel demands too heavy (given that gas is generally much more expensive in Europe than America).

By the way, odd for Trump to go after BMW. They have a pretty big production plant in the US; wonder if a prohibitive tariff would affect the many people it employs.
    The cars that are produced in America are not the cars that are produced in/for Europe. The only American brands that really have a presence in Europe are Ford Europe and to a degree Opel. I've mentioned before that I was a young ad exec on General Motor's European account when the financial crash came. For decades the American car industry, and perhaps Americans themselves, had told themselves Americans didn't buy the sort of cars that Europeans did. They didn't want small, cost-efficient, low maintenance stuff. They wanted big loud Bruce Springsting bastards and damn the expense, oil is cheap.

Well all of a sudden the fell out the American economy and turned out that not only then did Americans want exactly European (or Japanese) type cars but they had done for some time. Obama had to bail out the car industry. The already weak attempts of GM to sell anything in Europe outside of its bought European brands (Vauxhall) collapsed.

And it was the European car makers that were in position to give Americans what they want. As the good German Minister pointed out to Trumpski, the largest VW plant is already in South Carolina, and if plenty more are in Mexico, well you if you think you can put a 35% tariff on your own supply chain and not yourself badly.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...reply-to-trump

This is one thing I said during the election: the reality of the world doesn't change just because you elect some liar.
    Last edited by chriscase; January 17, 2017 at 12:26 AM. Reason: off topic removed

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    The cars that are produced in America are not the cars that are produced in/for Europe. The only American brands that really have a presence in Europe are Ford Europe and to a degree Opel. I've mentioned before that I was a young ad exec on General Motor's European account when the financial crash came. For decades the American car industry, and perhaps Americans themselves, had told themselves Americans didn't buy the sort of cars that Europeans did. They didn't want small, cost-efficient, low maintenance stuff. They wanted big loud Bruce Springsting bastards and damn the expense, oil is cheap.

Well all of a sudden the fell out the American economy and turned out that not only then did Americans want exactly European (or Japanese) type cars but they had done for some time. Obama had to bail out the car industry. The already weak attempts of GM to sell anything in Europe outside of its bought European brands (Vauxhall) collapsed.

And it was the European car makers that were in position to give Americans what they want. As the good German Minister pointed out to Trumpski, the largest VW plant is already in South Carolina, and if plenty more are in Mexico, well you if you think you can put a 35% tariff on your own supply chain and not yourself badly.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...reply-to-trump

This is one thing I said during the election: the reality of the world doesn't change just because you elect some liar.
    Yikes. So much hostility in this post. I love it when brits use swear words.

First off, I don't know how much experience you have with owning and driving German cars, like VW, in America for 50+ thousand miles, but they break almost as much as they cheat on their emissions testing. As soon as that warranty runs out, you're left with your dick in the hand, a wife that's left you and kids that aren't ever going to college. Thanks Germany... Secondly, I'm not quite sure what a "Bruce Springsting bastard" is. Third, not a single European company ranks in the top 10 best selling brands in the US. Our Japanese and Korean friends may have a better argument given their market penetration, but they already make their stuff here. Finally, I don't think Trump cares about cars in and of themselves. He cares that we don't manufacture anything period and as a consequence we've got a bunch of meth addicts twiddling their thumbs in god awful places like Detroit with nothing better to do. We could manufacture dildos to ship over to butt hurt europeans for all he cares, as long as that get's people back to work and the trade deficit inverted.
    Last edited by chriscase; January 17, 2017 at 12:31 AM. Reason: continuity
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Costin_Razvan's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Acco View Post
    Less about quality and more about different market conditions. American cars are usually considered too big and the fuel demands too heavy (given that gas is generally much more expensive in Europe than America).

By the way, odd for Trump to go after BMW. They have a pretty big production plant in the US; wonder if a prohibitive tariff would affect the many people it employs.
    This is not in the slightest about BMW. This is a declaration of war on Germany.
    "It's bizarre though. Donald Trump, an ageing, orange skinned reality TV star with a history of selling steaks and conning people, a trophy wife and one of the most fragile egos I've seen pretty much just destroyed the head of the interventionist faction in the US State apparatus, Victoria Nuland, after literally becoming President of the United states. We must live in one of the more interesting timelines."

"The Powell Doctrine is the bible of every foreign policy thinker."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powell_Doctrine

Oh hey, Ferrets, waiting for you to provide us with proof of your previous claim that Breitbart stated that Obama wasn't born in US.
    Last edited by chriscase; January 17, 2017 at 12:33 AM. Reason: continuity

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Legend View Post
    I would've preferred a much slower and more painful killing of the creature, myself.
    So... you realize, I hope, that this makes you not that much better than him, right?
    Last edited by chriscase; January 17, 2017 at 12:36 AM. Reason: continuity
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

I would've preferred a much slower and more painful killing of the creature, myself. But hey if they say it was self-defense I believe it.

What I find funny is the idea that it was the President who killed him.
    That doesn't answer the question. Was it a good thing or not?

You might find it funny but its also hilarious how you mention that argument. Somehow, when something bad happens under his administration it's always his direct fault, but if something good happens under someone else that people prefer, it's his credit directly. This is a hypocrisy that is quite widely used.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    So... you realize, I hope, that this makes you not that much better than him, right?
    WTF? What kind of moral confusion is that? Even an inanimate object has more value than Bin Laden.

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    That doesn't answer the question. Was it a good thing or not?

You might find it funny but its also hilarious how you mention that argument. Somehow, when something bad happens under his administration it's always his direct fault, but if something good happens under someone else that people prefer, it's his credit directly. This is a hypocrisy that is quite widely used.
    Well I wouldn't call it a bad thing, but I don't think it was much more than a symbolic victory. OBL was one of numerous heads of the Islamic hydra. I'd much rather kill the heads of the Muslim Brotherhood.

It is funny that the work of countless people in the military and the intelligence community, is so casually swept aside. It was totally Obama who got Osama. He was the one who tracked him down, planned an operation, trained for it for months, and then executed it, all by himself. Bush was too old and weak to do it, you see. Barack OTOH is oozing with athleticism and legendary bravery.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Oh hey, Ferrets, waiting for you to provide us with proof of your previous claim that Breitbart stated that Obama wasn't born in US.
    You're not. I posted it. You ignored them, pretended they didn't show Breitbart for what it is: a birther conspiracy promoting website.

That reality isn't changing either, HH.

Well I wouldn't call it a bad thing, but I don't think it was much more than a symbolic victory. OBL was one of numerous heads of the Islamic hydra. I'd much rather kill the heads of the Muslim Brotherhood.
    This is hilarious. It shows how pathetic opposition to Obama's presidency can become. Thanks for illustrating it so well.

It is funny that the work of countless people in the military and the intelligence community, is so casually swept aside. It was totally Obama who got Osama. He was the one who tracked him down, planned an operation, trained for it for months, and then executed it, all by himself. Bush was too old and weak to do it, you see. Barack OTOH is oozing with athleticism and legendary bravery.
    Except they're not swept aside. You wouldn't use such asinine logic when you discuss failures of Obama presidency, why use it now?

There would be no wars in the world, if we'd all just learn to read our own sources before posting them.
    It's an article that promotes the idea that Obama was not born in USA. It doesn't get clearer than that. No amount of wordplay on your part will change that. Your approach to being dead wrong here is purely pathetic. Once again:
    Last edited by PointOfViewGun; January 17, 2017 at 03:10 AM.
    The Armenian Issue

Except they're not swept aside. You wouldn't use such asinine logic when you discuss failures of Obama presidency, why use it now?
    Sorry but they are swept aside.

he was the one who got Bin Laden
    Ferrets' argument is that George Bush didn't get OBL but Obama did. What is it that Obama did that Bush didn't or wouldn't have done? Was it really Obama that got Osama, or did he just happen to be President when it happened? How about we thank Obama for making the sun rise every morning too?

After rereading the original post I think there is one thing that I agree with. The free trade agreements.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) | Twitter

After reading this, I don't know whether to laugh or cry!
    The narcissistic idiot- "the Ernest Hemingway of 140 characters"- as he once boasted- never ceases to amaze me...
    David Millard (The Telegraph) is not afraid to say the harsh truth- Americans have finally found a man too stupid even for them
    Bingo.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

He does speak like addressing an audience of four year olds.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Sorry but they are swept aside.

Ferrets' argument is that George Bush didn't get OBL but Obama did. What is it that Obama did that Bush didn't or wouldn't have done? Was it really Obama that got Osama, or did he just happen to be President when it happened? How about we thank Obama for making the sun rise every morning too?

After rereading the original post I think there is one thing that I agree with. The free trade agreements.
    Boy, this is beyond pathetic. Again, answer the question, you wouldn't use such asinine logic when you discuss failures of Obama presidency, why use it now?
    The Armenian Issue

pajomife's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Costin_Razvan View Post
    This is not in the slightest about BMW. This is a declaration of war on Germany.
    On Merkel, I hope, now she found that we have a common voice... the Germany one, lol.
    Last edited by pajomife; January 17, 2017 at 08:26 AM.

Ads in two dozens of American towns offer up to $2500 for people to agitate during Trump's inauguration.
    So much for the "grassroots movement" that has to pay people to participate.
    ACLU also demands police cameras to be turned off... I guess so that if paid protesters go violent, they could claim "police brutality".
    You're not. I posted it. You ignored them, pretended they didn't show Breitbart for what it is: a birther conspiracy promoting website.
    No you didn't. You posted links to either articles not form Breitbart, or to articles where Breitbart reported on someone's opinion, with an explicit statement from Breitbart itself, that they don't support that theory. I already debunked your response, proving how none of the links you posted support your claim.
    So you will either have to provide us with a link to an actual article from Breitbart where it would state that Obama wasn't born in US, or you will have to apologize for lying to the forum and admit that Donald Trump was correct for ignoring fake news outlets such as CNN abd BuzzFeed, while answering questions from actual journalists from Breitbart.
    That reality isn't changing either, HH.
    Then perhaps you should stop making claims that don't correspond with it.

It's an article that promotes the idea that Obama was not born in USA. It doesn't get clearer than that. No amount of wordplay on your part will change that. Your approach to being dead wrong here is purely pathetic. Once again:
    Wow...
    You didn't even bother to literally read the first sentence in your article?
    "
    Note from Senior Management:
    Andrew Breitbart was never a “Birther,” and Breitbart News is a site that has never advocated the narrative of “Birtherism.” In fact, Andrew believed, as we do, that President Barack Obama was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, on August 4, 1961."
    Last edited by Heathen Hammer; January 17, 2017 at 09:10 AM.

Wow...
    You didn't even bother to literally read the first sentence in your article?
    "
    Note from Senior Management:
    Andrew Breitbart was never a “Birther,” and Breitbart News is a site that has never advocated the narrative of “Birtherism.” In fact, Andrew believed, as we do, that President Barack Obama was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, on August 4, 1961."
    I did. I even commented on it a few pages back when I first posted the link. I guess you didn't bother to literally read that post... So, tell me now then. What does a note, that was likely had to be put there after everyone pointed out what an idiot this guy really was changes? The article still promoted the idea that Obama was born in Kenya.
    The Armenian Issue

Well well well.

In a series of interviews in March of 2014, Donald Trump singled out Russia as the United States’ “biggest problem” and greatest geopolitical foe.

Trump’s comments more than two years ago, which came in the wake of Russian incursions into Crimea, offer a sharp contrast to the Russia-friendly rhetoric he has employed since launching his presidential campaign.

In the interviews reviewed by CNN’s KFile from March 2014, which occurred on NBC News and Fox News, Trump goes as far as to suggest imposing sanctions to hurt Russia economically and then later says he supports such sanctions. Trump also expressed his agreement with former Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney’s 2012 assessment that Russia is the United States’ number one “geopolitical foe.”

“Well, Mitt was right, and he was also right when he mentioned in one of the debates about Russia, and he said, ‘Russia’s our biggest problem, and Russia is, you know, really something,'” Trump said on the March 24, 2014 edition of “Fox and Friends.”
    CNN

Gonna post this again. We were warned about the conman decades ago!

you wouldn't use such asinine logic when you discuss failures of Obama presidency, why use it now?
    Well, when you assume, Setekh, you make an ass outta you and only you.

I did. I even commented on it a few pages back when I first posted the link. I guess you didn't bother to literally read that post... So, tell me now then. What does a note, that was likely had to be put there after everyone pointed out what an idiot this guy really was changes? The article still promoted the idea that Obama was born in Kenya.
    Article merely reports on someone's opinion. Reporting on something or quoting someone doesn't mean promoting. For example, I'm quoting your post, but it doesn't mean I'm supporting your opinion.
    You people enjoy grasping at straws here.