Page 35 of 188 FirstFirst ... 102526272829303132333435363738394041424344456085135 ... LastLast

Thread: Donald's First 100 Days and Before

Default Re: Donald's First 100 Days and Before

“Mnuchin left Goldman Sachs a decade and a half ago, and started in the film business.
    who claimed wanting to drain the swamp....
    Keep your friends close.. but your enemies closer.
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

the_mango55's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Citizen

"Give your friends lots of money... but your enemies more"
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesīr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

When did he say he was draining the Wall Street swamp? I thought he was just going after Washington

Costin_Razvan's Avatar Campidoctor

At anycase, interesting pick, for someone who claimed wanting to drain the swamp....
    You realize that Trump literally said for the entire campaign he'd get the best business people in his cabinet right?

Right?

The swamp are the puppets in Washington.
    "It's bizarre though. Donald Trump, an ageing, orange skinned reality TV star with a history of selling steaks and conning people, a trophy wife and one of the most fragile egos I've seen pretty much just destroyed the head of the interventionist faction in the US State apparatus, Victoria Nuland, after literally becoming President of the United states. We must live in one of the more interesting timelines."

"The Powell Doctrine is the bible of every foreign policy thinker."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powell_Doctrine

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Mnuchin left Goldman Sachs a decade and a half ago, and started in the film business.
    And Hillary was never in GS and yet he attacked her. I don't trust a guy that was in GS and as KoHeaven said, it's not just this one guy. Ex-GS guys, the puppeteers of the establishment as he more or less was calling them, are getting in the administration.
    So, exactly the same way as Trump would be blasting Hillary if she had said she would pick ex-GS people if she was elected president, he's wide open for attacks on exactly the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Infidel144 View Post
    Bannon is not in the cabinet, to start with.

I'd expect the Secretary of War to have plans to kill everybody met. Kind of his job (or at least oversee plans). You should look up the plans the US has for war even with allies. Can't really address the 'seems'. Need specifics.
    Bannon has a very important position though and this is something people could judge and criticize.

It's "secretary of defense" for a reason. Unless this is the new Mongol Empire. Note how he said "Have plans to kill everyone" and not "Defend your country against even your allies as alliances change".
    Also, you may agree with "We need plans to go to war, even with our allies". You may disagree. But it is something you can criticize, argue against or for, or debate about.
    Trump's pick seems to openly endorse the thoughts of "we need plans to defend the country's interests against everyone". He's an isolationist so I don't find that to be a break from his promises.
    However, it's a stance on something. It's a step towards a direction.

To conclude
    All the above are things people can and should comment on, argue on and criticize. For or against. They show something.
    Burning flags because "obviously" Trump would do something bad about climate change, based solely on what he said on the campaign trail, or articles (and I've seen those; I'm looking at you CNN) that are called "Trump may cause showdown with China over Taiwan" as if picking up the phone could cause a nuclear war or articles on how Trump would probably pick ultra-conservatives for the SC that would make Scalia seem progressive... That's rubbish.
    Last edited by alhoon; December 05, 2016 at 03:06 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    The Goldman Sachs guys... not guy. most of them who he picked, are or where in Goldman Sachs. All where executives. of course

just tought this should be noted.

it isnt hust Bannon.
    There is Dow Jones, Steven Mnuchin who led Trump's fundraising efforts, Trump started accepting contributions in May. (Previously, he'd rejected fundraising, saying that his opponents who raised money were puppets) , and there is also Gary Cohn.

Among two dozen or so people who have been picked for key positions or who are being seriously discussed to fill Trump administration roles, at least nine have some tie to the finance industry.
    Oh I hear you - (((finance industry))). You mean like (((Goldman))) (((Sachs))) (((Mnuchin))) (((Cohn)))?

What's with all the antisemitic dog-whistles in the anti-Trump crowd?
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Garbarsardar's Avatar Et Slot i et slot
    Patrician Tribune Citizen Magistrate Administrator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    Oh I hear you - (((finance industry))). You mean like (((Goldman))) (((Sachs))) (((Mnuchin))) (((Cohn)))?

What's with all the antisemitic dog-whistles in the anti-Trump crowd?
    Yeah, what's wrong with them?

Donald Trump and his surrogates have been playing footsie with American neo-Nazis for months: tweeting their memes, retweeting their messages, appearing on their radio shows. After an Oct. 13 speech in which Trump warned that Hillary Clinton “meets in secret with international banks to plot the destruction of U.S. sovereignty” and that ((((“a global power structure”)))) is conspiring against ordinary Americans, the Anti-Defamation League urged Trump to “avoid rhetoric and tropes that historically have been used against Jews.”

Well, Trump just gave his reply. On Friday, he released a closing ad for his campaign repeating offending lines from that speech, this time illustrated with images of prominent Jews: financier George Soros (accompanying the words “those who control the levers of power”), Fed Chair Janet Yellen (with the words “global special interests”) and Goldman Sachs CEO(((( Lloyd Blankfein)))) (following the “global power structure” quote). The ad shows Hillary Clinton and says she partners “with these people who don’t have your good in mind.”

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    Moderator Emeritus

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

Would you mind getting back to the topic? (It was Trump's early presidency, in case that got buried under lots of parentheses.)

Thank you.
    Last edited by Iskar; December 07, 2016 at 11:00 AM.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanįr, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

Ignoring the two users who kept their parenthesis play, the new Trump government member will be.. Ben Carson, the Black Neurosurgeon. Another one joins the "Alt Right White Supremacy Club"

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/05/us...rump.html?_r=0
    Last edited by fkizz; December 05, 2016 at 07:10 PM.
    It will be seen that, as used, the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless. In conversation, of course, it is used even more wildly than in print. I have heard it applied to farmers, shopkeepers, Social Credit, corporal punishment, fox-hunting, bull-fighting, the 1922 Committee, the 1941 Committee, Kipling, Gandhi, Chiang Kai-Shek, homosexuality, Priestley's broadcasts, Youth Hostels, astrology, women, dogs and I do not know what else.

-George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    It's "secretary of defense" for a reason. Unless this is the new Mongol Empire. Note how he said "Have plans to kill everyone" and not "Defend your country against even your allies as alliances change".
    Also, you may agree with "We need plans to go to war, even with our allies". You may disagree. But it is something you can criticize, argue against or for, or debate about.
    Trump's pick seems to openly endorse the thoughts of "we need plans to defend the country's interests against everyone". He's an isolationist so I don't find that to be a break from his promises.
    However, it's a stance on something. It's a step towards a direction.
    Change in the name of the role didn't really change what he was doing. He was still running the armed forces.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by fkizz View Post
    Ignoring the two users who kept their parenthesis play, the new Trump government member will be.. Ben Carson, the Black Neurosurgeon. Another one joins the "Alt Right White Supremacy Club"

As the secretary of Housing and Urban Development...

What the hell does Carson know about this? If Trump felt loyalty to Carson for his support (despite saying he looked and sounded like a child molester earlier in the campaign) and wanted to give him a cabinet position, why didn't he name him Surgeon General?

Obviously he saw Urban in the name and for some reason Carson immediately came to mind.
    Last edited by the_mango55; December 05, 2016 at 08:27 PM.
    ttt
    Adopted son of Lord Sephiroth, Youngest sibling of Pent uP Rage, Prarara the Great, Nerwen Carnesīr, TB666 and, Boudicca. In the great Family of the Black Prince

Yes, a black person who believes that Pyramids were meant for grain storage, that gun control brought about the Holocaust, and that Darwin was inspired by Satan, is perfectly suited for the role of token Uncle Tom.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarsardar View Post
    Yes, a black person who believes that Pyramids were meant for grain storage, that gun control brought about the Holocaust, and that Darwin was inspired by Satan, is perfectly suited for the role of token Uncle Tom.
    What a racist post, calling him an Uncle Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    What a racist post, calling him an Uncle Tom
    Indeed, I should be ashamed.

Still, I did not claim it is genetic, I am certain it is environmental.

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    As the secretary of Housing and Urban Development...

What the hell does Carson know about this? If Trump felt loyalty to Carson for his support (despite saying he looked and sounded like a child molester earlier in the campaign) and wanted to give him a cabinet position, why didn't he name him Surgeon General?

Obviously he saw Urban in the name and for some reason Carson immediately came to mind.
    https://www.cato.org/publications/co...ure-are-enough

Meh, can't do any worse.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Trump's pick seems to openly endorse the thoughts of "we need plans to defend the country's interests against everyone". He's an isolationist so I don't find that to be a break from his promises....
    AFAIK its a widely endorsed pick, Mattis has good experience and the main problem is there have been too many Marines getting plum jobs recently and the Army and Navy may get shirty. Its in no way an isolationist move, its more one of the Donald's baffling (given how much work he puts into the crazy) shifts in direction from sensible to loony to reasonable to preposterous. I'd say he's going "crazy Ivan" but that might trigger some of his apologists still smarting from accusations of Russophilia.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarsardar View Post
    I get. Blacks are no fun when they give no more power leverage to the left.

-George Orwell

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    AFAIK its a widely endorsed pick, Mattis has good experience and the main problem is there have been too many Marines getting plum jobs recently and the Army and Navy may get shirty. Its in no way an isolationist move, its more one of the Donald's baffling (given how much work he puts into the crazy) shifts in direction from sensible to loony to reasonable to preposterous. I'd say he's going "crazy Ivan" but that might trigger some of his apologists still smarting from accusations of Russophilia.
    Yeah Mattis isn't someone I necessarily agree with politically, but unlike all of Trump's other picks he at least seems to know what he's doing, is qualified for the position, and doesn't want to disband the department he was just put in charge of.

This is where we are at in Trump's America. Disagreeing with political appointments due to partisanship seems so quaint now, at this point we are just hoping for competence.

I mean for 's sake, most democrats I know are PRAYING that Romney gets secretary of state. Mitt Romney.
    ttt

Nah, Carson never ceased to be fun. Being black is not a magic anti-idiocy shield. Can be a fig leaf on the other hand.

I think he's really fun. I mean, how utterly deluded do you have to be, after being trained in biology no less, to believe Darwin's theory is a fake inspired by Satan?
    First president Donald Trump (LOL!), then mad dog and now Ben 'Darwin was influenced by Satan' Carson. This government is going to go down in the history books, folks.