Thread: Attila and going forward with future historical Total Wars

Default Attila and going forward with future historical Total Wars

I think it is only a matter of time before the next historical total war is released. Total war Atilla was the right step forward from Rome 2 in regard to almost everything. The purpose of this thread then is to discuss what features you liked in Atilla and what features you want to see in the next historical total war

The features I think stand out the most that Atilla introduced are:
    1) family tree/internal politics are the best feeling a total war has had. Having governors and

2)Being able to raise cities on the campaign map

3) I think I like war weariness.....haha

4) The Horde mechanic

5)Being able to light cities on fire

Features I would like to see in future total wars
    1) Having the diplomatic option of merging your nation with one of your client states. Make the requirements be that the client state has to like you alot and have been your client for a certain number of turns. This change would make client states way more useful. Currently, I am too scared of making client states because I don't want to have to go to war with that state in 30 turns when I want complete control of the province.

2) Per turn economic growth/population mechanic with the number of people affecting a cities GDP
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...al-war-economy

3) Treaties that expire. This is taken straight from Civ V. I would like alliances, trade agreements, and non-aggression pacts expire after some point and have to be renewed. This would make it so that when you are doing diplomacy with factions that you don't sign an everlasting binding treaty. I know I am often to afraid to accept any diplomacy for future me wanting to expand my territory where they are.

4) Bring back Civil wars from Rome II where it is an all at once kind of event. Currently in Attila civil wars seem to start off as minor rebellions where if not taken care of begin to grow. Because of this they often feel like a series of small rebellions instead of an outright split of your faction.

5) A complete surrender diplomatic option to use against the AI. The main use of this would be against civil war factions to bring the faction back into your fold. Crusaders Kings has a diplomatic option very similar to this as well. This lets the civil war be a good late game challenge but not set you back every time and have to go through the mundane process of reconquering all of your own territories after you have beaten the primary civil war armies and killed the main leaders.

Anyways what do you all think? What features do you like in Attila and should be carried on and what new features would you like to see?

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Default Re: Attila and going forward with future historical Total Wars

I would add trading provinces in diplomacy to your list, as well as tribute per turn. I'd also like an option to bring children of marriages between factions over to your faction.Bringing 'Demand Surrender.' from Napoleon back wouldn't be a bad idea. Civil wars as the WRE used to be brutal in Attila, they often turn into full fledged Rome II style civil wars against superior quality opposition. War weariness in the GC for a future historical title would make sense.
    Last edited by Lugotorix; November 02, 2016 at 03:51 AM.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

Default Re: Attila and going forward with future historical Total Wars

I agree with both OP and Lugotorix. I just love the faction management side of Attila. It feels like every political decision has consequences that flow on to battlefields, the economy and diplomacy.

I like levying troops from passing hordes. The next step would be allied or conscripted AI units/corps that attach to your stacks and fight independently in battles alongside your 20 units (controlled by the AI but "usually" respectful of your commander's orders). And add the possibility of them deserting to the enemy, BUT NOT BECAUSE OF OP AI AGENTS!! Some other mechanic like hunger, incompetent command, or resentment instead.

Forceful expulsion of raiders and hordes without causing war would be nice.

The Slavic DLC introduced ''protection payments'' -either cash or food-you had to pay to the Huns to avoid war. I'd like that to be continued and to be expanded in some way.

Civilians in settlements was a nice background touch and I'd like that idea to keep being developed. Not sure how though.