Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast

Thread: [Overhaul Submod] "Data Venia" (for DeI 1.2.5 - Updated 2020-01-20)

Default Re: [Submod] Data Venia - Overhaul (for DeI 1.1)

Also, it seems it's a mess with the 12TPY and seasons; i'm in July and i'm read Autumn. All are offset. And another question: is compatible with Ancient Empires for DeI, off course ?
    Last edited by leonardusius; December 07, 2016 at 07:02 AM.

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

AE itself have not been compatible with the regular DeI for quite some time

Ygraine's Avatar Campidoctor

I haven't modified seasons other than changing TPY. It's how it works for all TPY mods as far as I'm aware of. Ie spring starting in January, etcetera. Might be that seasons were different back then compared to modern times. Winter started earlier in modern autumn, and ended earlier around january.

41 unit size works in single player fine (that's how I play the mod) - but there's an issue with desyncs in coop/head-to-head with 41-army sizes. I'm hoping to solve it before the 1.2 version.
    (2nd position - Gameplay Mods-category - 2016 Modding Awards.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ygraine View Post
    I haven't modified seasons other than changing TPY. It's how it works for all TPY mods as far as I'm aware of. Ie spring starting in January, etcetera. Might be that seasons were different back then compared to modern times. Winter started earlier in modern autumn, and ended earlier around january.

41 unit size works in single player fine (that's how I play the mod) - but there's an issue with desyncs in coop/head-to-head with 41-army sizes. I'm hoping to solve it before the 1.2 version.
    Nope, vanilla had same problem when using TPY mods. There too, october was winter, etc....but solved with somebody mod. I use that always and works like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashHeart07 View Post
    AE itself have not been compatible with the regular DeI for quite some time
    The modder said it is....in fact it's AE for DeI. I didn't try it till now.

How can I even tell the mod is working with a new game? Is it expected to play this at max unit size?

edit: nevermind, everything else seems to be working fine.
    Last edited by Imapanda; December 11, 2016 at 04:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by leonardusius View Post
    Nope, vanilla had same problem when using TPY mods. There too, october was winter, etc....but solved with somebody mod. I use that always and works like a charm.
    What mod was this?

Quote Originally Posted by Imapanda View Post
    How can I even tell the mod is working with a new game? Is it expected to play this at max unit size?

edit: nevermind, everything else seems to be working fine.

DeI in general is recommended with max unit size, yes. Glad you got it to work

This submod is in the process of being updated to 1.2 right now. A lot of the campaign stuff is finished already and I'm currently working on rebalancing every single unit back to the old system which is a massive undertaking in itself. Unless we hit a snag somewhere it should be playable by the end of this week.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: [Submod] Data Venia - Overhaul (for DeI 1.2 - WIP)

Good work!
    + rep

Any news on the 1.2 update?

Yes, my apologies for the delay.

We had a sudden problem with desyncs occuring in coop-campaign (41-unit sizes) and it took around 6~ hours of testing just to find what table was causing it. That's 6 hours we could have spent on finishing land_units and building-tables With this thing out of the way, I can finish the units in the next few days and release a first version. We'll finish the buildings at a later stage since it also involves a lot of work, moving around recruitment permissions etcetera. I also want to remove the -% provincial income from all temples among some other changes.

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

I haven´t been able to test this out yet, but how do you handle the new 1.2 Hoplites mechanic?
    Did you get rid of it, or have you just balanced it out differently?
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

I think you do an exceptional work with this mod.

Thank you!

Current status: 4 tables done, 6 to go!

About the hoplite mechanic (and all new formations/similar mechanics) I need to do more in-game tests before we can decide what to do with them (if anything). We've mainly been testing on the campaign-map and working on those tables almost exclusively. Once Land_units are finished, we'll start testing lots and lots of battles to see how different stuff performs.

One thing I can tell you right now is that they will get a speed decrease when in formation (same with pikes) - in 1.2 they move waaaaaay too fast while in it. There should be an offset for using good formations, for balance purposes. In Data Venia 1.1 this worked really well as you had to micro pikes and get out of formation if you wanted to run with them - with hoplites currently having a similar ability I'll go the same route there (unless we change how the formation works).
    Last edited by Ygraine; March 14, 2017 at 05:57 PM.

• All unit-tables are finished! Now we're just tweaking some of the new units and re-adding a few that were removed in 1.2. Time to fix the hoplite-formation as well.
    • -% provincial income-values removed from all temples. Thinking about increasing temple cost to compensate (might increase cost on all buildings later on to make economy a bit tougher in general)
    • We decided to remove client states and allow all factions to create satrapies (now called Tributary States, vassals sounded too medieval).
    • Assassination/adoption has been disabled. The spam is too much in the normal 1.2-version, the new political system will still remain in play and valid even without these annoyances.
    • Removed the starting 20 000 treasury, you now start at around 5000. Spend it wisely.
    • Going to modify starting diplomatic conditions between some factions. I want more AI factions to start with trade-agreements between each other. In all my playthroughs AIs rarely trade with each other and trading is usually dominated by the player(s).
    • Working on incorporating new faction emblems/colours into the submod (some my own, others with permission from their respective authors). The plan is to eventually have replaced/reworked every single factions emblem and in some cases colour to breathe a bit new life into the game/mod.

Examples of new emblem/faction-colour (screenshots taken in the 1.1-version, but emblems/colours are the same in 1.2):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Ygraine; March 21, 2017 at 09:06 AM.

Senator

I have a small question. I saw that you changed the number of projectiles for a polybolos from 1 (DeI) to 12. What does that mean? Is one machine shooting 12 bolts at once? So the 12 machines of a unit shoot 144?

Quote Originally Posted by geala View Post
    I have a small question. I saw that you changed the number of projectiles for a polybolos from 1 (DeI) to 12. What does that mean? Is one machine shooting 12 bolts at once? So the 12 machines of a unit shoot 144?
    They don't shoot 144 at once (unless one visual counts as several projectiles) but they do shoot more than 12. Not sure how the engine handles it, but it does give the desired effect as in barraging the enemy with tons of bolts. Ammo runs out faster than the normal bolt-thrower though and it's more effective at closer range (a bit like canister shot in other TW games).

Thanks for reminding me of this by the way, I need to nerf the range on this one to make the normal one desirable to build too

Here's one simultaneous salvo:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Dont no if this is really a viable idea but here goes.

Back in the early days of Vanilla Rome 2, we used to have mannable buildings for a very few factions (Egypt, Greeks etc....) it was usually only a single building, but i used to love putting my Egyptian archers on the building whilst pike guarding the streets.

Anyway CA disabled it many moons ago.

Was wondering if the original base code was still in the game & whether it could be reactivated & then possibly expanded just to make sieges abit more exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolster View Post
    Dont no if this is really a viable idea but here goes.

Back in the early days of Vanilla Rome 2, we used to have mannable buildings for a very few factions (Egypt, Greeks etc....) it was usually only a single building, but i used to love putting my Egyptian archers on the building whilst pike guarding the streets.

Anyway CA disabled it many moons ago.

Was wondering if the original base code was still in the game & whether it could be reactivated & then possibly expanded just to make sieges abit more exciting.
    As far as I know it's very limited to what one can do with cities and towns, sadly. There are still towns even in the current version that have the building you are talking about, albeit rare.

I apologize for the delay of the release for those who have been waiting for the new version with anticipation.

Due to the hellenic overhaul patch arriving soon (™) for 1.2 and breaking current saves, we decided to postpone our release until this patch is out as this made most sense.