Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: [Overhaul Submod] "Data Venia" (for DeI 1.2.5 - Updated 2020-01-20)

Ygraine's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: [Submod] Data Venia - Overhaul (for DeI 1.2 - WIP)

Quote Originally Posted by leonardusius View Post
    And you adapt recruitment and technology turns accordingly ? Most TPY mods didn't bother to look on that aspect and make the game SF.
    Yes, but due to the technology it won't be released right away. I haven't touched recruitment.
    (2nd position - Gameplay Mods-category - 2016 Modding Awards.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ygraine View Post
    Yes, but due to the technology it won't be released right away. I haven't touched recruitment.
    Very good. Take your time and do a good job. Thank you.

Just made DV compatible with the 1.2.1a hotfix that was released a few hours ago. Now we just need to play-test one last time to see if there are any bugs or the like that we missed. If everything is fine we'll release it later today!

Will also clean up the first post and then start adding the massive changelog going from 1.1 to 1.2.1.
    Last edited by Ygraine; May 25, 2017 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ygraine View Post
    Just made DV compatible with the 1.2.1a hotfix that was released a few hours ago. Now we just need to play-test one last time to see if there are any bugs or the like that we missed. If everything is fine we'll release it later today!

Will also clean up the first post and then start adding the massive changelog going from 1.1 to 1.2.1.
    Wow !!!! Great news !

Would it be possible to add an edict that upgrades populations, such as Tier 3 shifting to Tier 2 and so on? Obvious downsides could be decreased public order and the expense of accommodating so many new citizens, as well as slower growth due to fewer jobs being filled by the lower classes as opposed to slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by SpardaSon21 View Post
    Would it be possible to add an edict that upgrades populations, such as Tier 3 shifting to Tier 2 and so on? Obvious downsides could be decreased public order and the expense of accommodating so many new citizens, as well as slower growth due to fewer jobs being filled by the lower classes as opposed to slaves.
    You mean one that switches population requirements for units? Maybe with some advanced script, but it's way beyond my abilities (if it's even possible at all).

We have plans to add a few new edicts, and for population growth either add that to a new edict or add small bonuses to the current DeI ones (example 2% foreigner growth in the whole province if you use commercial edict, 2% citizen growth to "bread & games" etc).
    Will probably be removing the sell food/buy food edicts as they are pretty much never used. The UI supports a few more edicts so there will definitely be new stuff coming in an update soon.

Default Re: [Submod] Data Venia - Overhaul (for DeI 1.2 - RELEASED!)

It's out, folks!

Download-link in the first post! The 1.1 version will remain in the workshop for those who prefer that over 1.2.
    Revised mod-description and full change-log will be up this week-end, now after 5 hours straight in PFM I need to get some rest...

Edit: Changelog updated.
    Last edited by Ygraine; May 27, 2017 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Changelog updated.

Awesome... really cool, thank you!

Now if you provide me a non steam link I'll do anything for you But rest a while for now... you deserve it!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    anything

I explained it badly. Was looking for an edict, that in simple terms, gives negative percentage growth to the lower classes, but substantial positive growth to the larger ones. Probably fluff it as "Land Reform" or "Land Redistribution". Main issue I was having in my Macedon campaign was that after controlling Thrace and turning it into a massive slave trading province backed by the Commercial Stimulation edict, money effectively ceased to be much of an issue, making population the only real bottleneck for recruiting large numbers of Agema units. Now, the main DeI team probably likes it that way, but I found it incredibly annoying to be unable to enact some sort of reform to get all of my 20k or so Class 2 civs in Sparta changed into Class 1 civs. Yes, a high level Sparta in DeI has absurd population growth, which I find it annoying to be unable to take real advantage of as a player.

@Ygraine sorry for being kind of demanding in the first place... take your time I just prefer non steam...

Quote Originally Posted by SpardaSon21 View Post
    I explained it badly. Was looking for an edict, that in simple terms, gives negative percentage growth to the lower classes, but substantial positive growth to the larger ones. Probably fluff it as "Land Reform" or "Land Redistribution". Main issue I was having in my Macedon campaign was that after controlling Thrace and turning it into a massive slave trading province backed by the Commercial Stimulation edict, money effectively ceased to be much of an issue, making population the only real bottleneck for recruiting large numbers of Agema units. Now, the main DeI team probably likes it that way, but I found it incredibly annoying to be unable to enact some sort of reform to get all of my 20k or so Class 2 civs in Sparta changed into Class 1 civs. Yes, a high level Sparta in DeI has absurd population growth, which I find it annoying to be unable to take real advantage of as a player.
    Hell yeah, that totally makes sense... Magically turning one pop class into another. Thats just whats happening nowadays, enacting an edict to turn workers into academics... Very realistic... and what does it have to do with DV? nothing...

Yea, the To-do list is very valuable; planned features are very welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplitus View Post
    @Ygraine sorry for being kind of demanding in the first place... take your time I just prefer non steam...

Hell yeah, that totally makes sense... Magically turning one pop class into another. Thats just whats happening nowadays, enacting an edict to turn workers into academics... Very realistic... and what does it have to do with DV? nothing...
    Given that the entire basis of the Cleomenes reforms was to expand citizenship and redistribute land to create a larger number of landed elite as Spartan warriors, its more plausible than you think given the Hellenic period. Additionally, I don't see why I can't politely request a new feature be added to Data Venia.

Absolutely, you're free to request anything. Maybe my response was a little harsh. Sorry if it came across like that. Still I think such an edict would not make much sense since you just can't convert everybody. Also the whole point of the pop system is to restrain the player from just recruiting top tier units.
    Just saying...

Suspended

Could you add a non steam link, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplitus View Post
    Absolutely, you're free to request anything. Maybe my response was a little harsh. Sorry if it came across like that. Still I think such an edict would not make much sense since you just can't convert everybody. Also the whole point of the pop system is to restrain the player from just recruiting top tier units.
    Just saying...
    In my initial post I did address the pop cap. I like the idea of population classes myself. However, there were reforms enacted during this time period that did often shift large numbers of people from class to class. The main example I pointed out were the reforms of Cleomenes III of Sparta where he turned the various foreign mercenaries into full citizens of the Spartan poleis by granting them land and slaves. The Egyptians also elevated populations up via the klerouchias. Yes, the main Divide Et Impera mod represents these shifts as major reforms, however; I'd like the ability via edict to enact my own smaller-scale reforms when necessary. Obviously there should be large downsides to creating such a demographic shift, what I don't know exactly, so I'm not exactly asking for a free gimmie.

EDIT: I also know how to use PFM to mod the DeI pop system, so I could easily cheat this if I wanted to. But that's not fun.

Non-steam link coming up later today!
    Just keep in mind that I will be releasing many hotfixes the upcoming few weeks and you'll have to manually update the versions via the non-steam links from time to time.

There's still a lot of work to do...

Mod-description:
    I'll be remaking the mod-description completely as the current one is the old from v1.1. Should be easier for new players to find out what the mod changes in regards of original DeI.

Sub-mod variations:

4 & 12 TPY is coming soon, in a separate pack-file that you load before DV. It will include standard research times. If someone wants civil wars to be activated again, I can release a small submod for that too.

Emblems/Faction-colours:

For example many factions got wrong/outdated emblems (Nervii, Masaesyli, Odrysians, Daci etc), some factions need different banner/faction colours (need to correct blue emblem on Ptolematoi to black, change Takashilas faction colour and so on...) and I got lots of new and beautiful emblems coming with permissions from their original authors.

Edicts:

Edicts are coming next week most likely, as previously mentioned. Going to brainstorm on some new ones with my co-modder. Feel free to suggest any ideas you have.
    Population growths will be added (most likely to existing edicts but at low bonuses so it won't be over the top - we're talking 2% foreigner growth to a province from the commercial edict as an example), probably an edict that boosts supply generation as well.

CAI Behaviour:

This will probably have to continue to be tweaked on and off to make sure the AI is in a good spot. Not too passive, not to randomly aggressive, doesn't give pacts too easily etc.

New units:

Planning to release a few "unique" units soon... Off the top of my head these include a light steppe horse archer hunter unit with hunting dogs, new female noble horse archer unit with some stat distinctiveness from normal ones, new chariot for Ptolematoi, new germanic berserker variant etc...

Bug-reports/balance-reports:

Please let me know if you find some units/buildings etc that are imbalanced, miss a formation or something. There are thousands of units and there's just two of us, so there's bound to be stuff that slips between the cracks. You're also welcome to give other suggestions and feedback on pretty much everything. This mod was tailored towards our personal taste, but we gladly listen to feedback and might use some of the ideas in DV.

Edit:

Mini campaigns aren't 100% complete yet as we had to remove their startpos files for now. We're currently waiting for Dresden to update his AFP submod. Once that is done we'll integrate all AFP-packs into DV so you'll always be able to play all factions in any of the campaigns.

For now I recommend you play Grand Campaign only.

Edit:

Non-steam link is up!
    Last edited by Ygraine; May 27, 2017 at 09:37 AM.

Yes, place the submod with civil wars, please.

First time poster but long time lurker. I have put a ton of time into 1.2 since its initial January release and your mod has really hit the nail on the head for me on changes I thought would be enjoyable. I had to finally chime in and say between this and the other info given on 41 man stacks, you have helped add a whole extra layer of spice to my campaigns. So, thank you so much and consider me a fan!

Quote Originally Posted by leonardusius View Post
    Yes, place the submod with civil wars, please.
    Will release it later tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Satansblofish View Post
    First time poster but long time lurker. I have put a ton of time into 1.2 since its initial January release and your mod has really hit the nail on the head for me on changes I thought would be enjoyable. I had to finally chime in and say between this and the other info given on 41 man stacks, you have helped add a whole extra layer of spice to my campaigns. So, thank you so much and consider me a fan!
    Happy to hear! Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will be hotfixing some units that have new meshes from the overhaul and wrong stats in the next update (some thracians, macedonians etc). All elite pikes will get a price/upkeep increase and some stat fixes. Some units have the wrong weapons too, that will also be fixed.
    Also noticed that Ptolemaic temples have less + culture than others, will be fixed.

Edit:

Submod that activates civil war is up!

First hotfix will be out sometime tomorrow~
    Last edited by Ygraine; May 27, 2017 at 04:04 PM.

Just played through my first campaign with DV and 40 man stacks as Macedon. It was my first using either and I lost at 12 turns. Crazy fun. Had two huge, epic battles and I would still be playing if I hadn't mismanaged the second one, which was my last defense at Pella. The big disadvantage I noticed is that while I was recruiting 3 units a turn, Aetolian and Athens were recruiting 5-7 units a turn. What I'm curious about is: when a single settlement faction's army is showing its going to recruit 6 units this turn, is that including mercenary units they're going to buy or is that just their own recruits? Anyway, I was getting to around 25~ units while my neighbors and enemies would have between 36-40. I had to fight a little undermanned in the first battle with my city garrison, won, but then was besieged by the Toliostagooi the very next turn. I'm not sure if I would have fared for long after the second battle as the political situation was volatile and just building up. Even in just those 12 turns I felt a very complex political situation brewing.

The battles were great. The first battle, which was 35 v 36, was especially interesting for me because I successfully began a chain route of the enemy. However, as it was progressing the enemy general who wasn't fighting, went around the current melee and threw himself into the middle of some of my forces that were detaching to re position and finish chain routing the remaining enemy units. I underestimated how strong commander units were and he managed to tie 4-ish units down. In the time it took for me to reform, re position, and then finally slay the enemy general, the AI that was routing had all rallied and reformed their own lines. A second battle was then fought on top of the dead from the first. While the enemy eventually lost, that general was a hero.

The second one was a siege by the Tolosomething the next turn. This meant my depleted force now had to face a full 40 man stack of barbarians. The AI actually besieged me for several turns before attacking and it's one of the finer instances I have seen the AI handle a siege. They came at me with me 6 ladders and 2 battering rams. When I saw this along with how they positioned I felt my chances for victory were rather slim and I was not feeling confident I would win. They rushed my walls with ladders while simultaneously taking down my gate with one of the rams. They also craftily snuck a small force around to burn through a side gate while I wasn't paying attention. I could have won had I not played so sloppily but with it being my first siege there was some different dynamics I didn't adequately prepare for, i.e how fast ladders burn down. Most noteworthy, while having 40 units and not pause spamming is the overall most fun battle experience I have had to date, it is definitely an adjustment. I think the mistake I am most miserable about is how when the game was on the line and had really come down to the wire as I was near equalizing the amount of units each side had but I still controlled some key towers. I was using my general and jav cav to harass enemy forces and shatter routing units outside of the city walls, became distracted with pressing my newly gained advantage in the city, and in the midst of that fighing I forgot about my cav while 2 enemy peltasts ran over and shattered them both and killed my general. That was the nail in the coffin.

Good times.