Page 35 of 41 FirstFirst ... 102526272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: [Overhaul Submod] "Data Venia" (for DeI 1.2.5 - Updated 2020-01-20)

Default Re: [Overhaul Submod] "Data Venia" (for DeI 1.2.4 - Updated 2019-07-06)

Hi, the stamina button on every carthagian units is non existent

Ballistas seem very over powered vs infantry. Playing as Rome, my ballista units routinely get 800+ kills.

Ygraine's Avatar Campidoctor

Hi,

Thanks for the report! Will update stamina tables.
    I already have a nerf to ballistas in the next version
    (2nd position - Gameplay Mods-category - 2016 Modding Awards.)

Hello everyone,

Next update will be released sometime post 1.2.5. It includes finely tuned values for banditry and squalor to the main city/town chains. Since attacker attrition has been removed attrition-tech has been tweaked with attacker's replaced with defender's and the old values have been toned down to scale properly. There's also a completely new visual mod with permission from the original author included in the next update! And dozens more miscellaneous changes and fixes.

Sweet, looking forward for the release!

A couple things I have noticed in my campaign:
    -Even with the increased regional supply and buffs to AI, I still notice enemy armies suffering severe attrition when they're in their own or friendly territory when they're amassing at a border.
    -the "late" versions of ballistas and polybolos (playing as rome) don't have the concentrated fire ability for attacking ground
    -the AI have an awful lot of agents running around. Do they get reduced upkeep for them? If not, they're probably wasting a lot of money. Personally I think the agent cap could be reduced.

What army and unit size do you like to play with? I've been using ultra sized units at the default 20 units/army, but I'm thinking of reducing the unit size to large and increasing the stack size to 25 or 30. Are there any issues with changing the stack size mid campaign?

Thanks Cool_Ranch!

That's odd! I was actually thinking about decreasing supplies even more... Don't think I've seen a single army starving from negative fertility in my 3-4 test campaigns, so I got the impression that fertility values were currently slightly too high. Are you sure it wasn't seasonal attrition or diseases spreading around?
    Do you remember the name of the region(s)? I think it's almost impossible to get negative fertility in a region with normal or above fertility rate (unless there's a crazy amount of long term enemy troops in it). Low fertility regions might be affected, especially if they lack a farm.

Thanks, I'll note down concentrated fire missing from some siege units.

Agents don't currently have any upkeep for either the player or the AI. Although agents cost a lot more in DV than DeI, money is generally not an issue for the AI. The next update has an increase to recruitment/building construction costs and the AI acts like there's no difference, spamming everything as usual.
    I was mulling about lowering the agent cap slightly earlier, but not decided the new numbers yet.

I always play on Ultra-unit sizes. In my test campaigns now I've used 20 (and the game unfortunately desyncs unless you do 20 in coop/head-to-head), but when I play normally/seriously I usually go with 41.
    41 is a lot more challenging since you cannot micro the whole battlefield effectively, so losses will be larger %-wise than when you easily micro a 20-army. On the campaign map there will be less battles in overall, but the battles will have more impact. Ie. if you defeat that one-region Illyrian tribes 41 stack, they won't be able to raise a new one for several turns, giving you the strategic advantage. But if you start a war with for example the indians in mid-game who own 6-12+ regions... Expect them to field over 50.000-80.000 troops in total at one time (with each stack having around 12.000 or so).

Unfortunately changing stack-sizes mid-game will mean that the AI won't normally expand their old 20-stacks, giving you the advantage. But all their new forces will fill out the new cap.
    Last edited by Ygraine; July 30, 2019 at 12:39 AM.

I noticed the AI armies suffering attrition in Bibracte, Gallia, there are often several full stack armies with no health loitering around there and it's been a recurring theme for a long time (20-30 years?). Massalia and Arveni were both funneling their armies through there, their banners look very similar so I'm not sure if it was happening to one or both of them, and I just assumed they were allies but it could be the case that they have no pacts and one was trespassing (in case that affects attrition).

After I posted it occurred to me that agents might not even have upkeep lol, never the less, the AI hires a lot more than they need, and even if they aren't financially constrained, my lands are cluttered with agents and I get spammed with end-of-turn sabotage popups. I think I'm using something like 12 out of the 40 total agents I have available, and it's not because I cant afford more, I just don't want to pick abilities and deal with micro, and I don't really need them.

Do bigger army stacks affect the total number of units that can be fielded at once, such as when armies reinforce? How does the 41 stack size affect the UI? I'm trying out 25 units/stack and it still fits the UI nicely in the campaign mode and battle loading screen.
    What happens if you increase the stack size, then reduce it? Do I have to worry about anything game breaking if I want to try out 41 unit stacks then settle on something lower or will the over limit armies just be over limit until they lose some units?

I'll check Bibracte out in-game!

40 agents? What imperium level are you at? I think mainly philosophers/druids/governors need their cap lowered. I might have increased the cap too much at high imperium levels, will take a look!

The hardcap of units at a battlefield per faction is 41. So anything past 41 will come as reinforcements. This means that you can actually fight super large battles with 3x 41 armies on each side (which can mean around 30 000 vs 30 000).

It works fine with the UI, I actually have custom army banners just to be able to handle 41 in case the player picks that instead of 20. And all units are shown properly.

As for decreasing stacks later, I'm not sure. It might crash, but it might also work fine and allow armies above the cap to stay that way. You can try it out!

Any other submods that does well with this?

I'm at imperium level 6 and have 8 spies, 20 governors, and 12 champions available.

I've been playing with 25 units/stack and I'm really digging the bigger armies, I think I'm going to bump it up to 41 and not even look back. Garrisons are just too strong vs 20 stack armies. Requiring a proper legion to be stationed each region to put down rebellions alone is going to have huge cascading effects. My economy might actually become strained fielding all these extra troops and converting some former economic/farming provinces into recruitment/drilling provinces for my new permanent garrison armies. I might even have to stop waging war on every front available just for the sake of keeping things interesting and actually seek some diplomatic solutions. Cheers!

Is this the custom banner mod you speak of? It has conflicting files with your mod (army_banner_strength.dds and .png), does your mod already integrate the custom banners for 41 unit armies?
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...custom+banners

One other, the normal (fixed) scorpions can't target buildings, even though I'm pretty sure the description mentions that as one of the uses. It can't even target the wooden guard towers or fences. The mobile scorpion is able to, and its structure damage might be a little high. I had a mobile scorpion shooting at troops on a wall, and a ballista working on breaching another section, unaware that the scorpion was doing structure damage, I was quite surprised when the stone wall section crumbled so suddenly. Given the accuracy, ammunition, and evidently damage, I think the mobile scorpion might actually be capable of taking out more wall sections/towers than the ballista, though I haven't tested it and that's just an initial impression.

Are civil wars disabled in the current version of Data Venia? There's a patch to enable them for the one of the older versions, but nothing more recent.

Also, what do you mean by "The base for the combat-system is still the good ol' 0.x and 1.0 system" in the mod description? I'm not familiar with the old system or how it differs from the current one.

@russ0133

All visual mods work, and also some scripts and stuff (for example some of Jake's work). But like with all large projects that modify a lot of various tables (including startpos) it's not very compatible with the majority of other submods out there.

@Cool_Ranch

Thanks! Then I was correct that governors were over-tuned.

I hope your PC is good enough for 41! Sounds great ^^ DV is already prepared for 41 yes, not just the banners but also supply scripts were buffed for it.

Alright, thanks. Must have been some oversight on my part. I'm guessing that it's the fire bolt mode that fires on buildings and it's an easy fix!

Civil wars are enabled and work like in base DeI. The patch was for a super old version that I left in case someone still playing in patch 17 wants to use it.

The old battle system was fundamentally different in various ways to the current one (which has changed dramatically around 5-10 times by now). It's difficult to explain, but at this point I've added some of my own changes to the old system so it's not entirely a copy of that either.

News:
    Most tables are updated to 1.2.5 in the next update-pack, but something is crashing DV on launch and I haven't been able to figure out what it is yet... As soon as I do I'll release the pack.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Finally solved the crashing! Unfortunately I have to redo startpos and a few tables from scratch so it will probably take one or two more days. I'm also sure there will be a few bugs on release with 1.2.5 since I'm trying to rush the update, so any feedback/bug-reporting will be appreciated!

Going to take a little longer, waiting for Dresden to update the AFP-submod. Without it you won't be able to play all factions. He mentioned he'll do it sometime this week!

Default Re: [Overhaul Submod] "Data Venia" (for DeI 1.2.5 - Updated 2019-08-16)

1.2.5 update is finally out!

Don't forget to check the changelog.

One of the major changes is that the AFP functionality has been removed for now, since Dresden has not had the time to update the pack yet and there's no current ETA. Once it's updated I'll work on integrating it into DV again.
    I cannot promise that it'll work if you have a save-game with a minor faction (normally not playable without AFP) from the previous version. But normal playable DeI base factions should work fine.

There's also a revamp to the economy which makes recruitment of all units more expensive, while upkeep remains the same. Merc recruitment cost has been increased even more than regular units, but their upkeep is lowered so it's more feasible to keep them permanently once you hire them. This means hopefully no more casual disbandment of units to recruit new ones, better to replenish the ones you have - or at least merge two damaged ones.

To compensate for the new cost you now start with a larger treasury (new campaign only).

I would also like to thank Carmen Silva/Marcus Iunius Brutus for allowing me to use their excellent Ancient Women mod (a reskin of female characters), which is now part of DV!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...ient+women+mod

Don't forget to report any oddities/bugs or whatever you come across as I tried to rush this update on my spare time and probably missed a bunch of things (just fixing three different crashes took a lot of time).
    For now I know that I forgot to update some population/manpower scripts and it will be hotfixed in the coming days.

Edit: Hotfix out, manpower scripts are up-to-date!
    Last edited by Ygraine; August 17, 2019 at 04:14 AM.

waidizss's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: [Overhaul Submod] "Data Venia" (for DeI 1.2.5 - Updated 2019-08-17)

sounds very juicy, time to roll out a fresh new campaign!
    Data Venia hardcore couch general edition: 'Competent' AI, reworked unit stats, realistic speeds, more planning, more strategy, less arcade, less cheese.

Get that feel that you are campaigning, not simply steamrolling, now only £9.99 monthly subscription for your advanced Lucius Licinius Lucullus' guide to subjugating the east.

Thanks! Let me know if you find any issues.

I'm going to lower pleb/mob sizes a bit in the next hotfix since it seems not all PCs play nicely with 600 squad sizes, probably not worth the fps impact on a battle

By request I've added a submod in the download section which reverts garrison sizes back to old ones (except for cav that stays at 200 due to technical reasons), so if you think the new sizes impact performance too much, or if you simply don't like large garrisons then you can grab the submod and load it up. It's already named correctly so it should be automatically placed before DV in your load-order.