Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1429303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: [Overhaul Submod] "Data Venia" (for DeI 1.2.5 - Updated 2020-01-20)

Default Re: [Overhaul Submod] "Data Venia" (for DeI 1.2.5 - Updated 2019-08-21)

Hi Ygraine,
    First of all congratulations for your work, it seems like you did a lot and I'm really interested in starting a campaign with Data Venia.
    I'm not a big fan of the faction emblems changes though and I'd like to know how I could revert to the original DEI emblems using PFM.
    I deleted "flags" in "ui" and it worked for the most part, but the agent icons and army banners haven't changed using this method.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks a lot

Nevermind I figured it out, the emblem changed but not the campaign map color, I fixed it by deleting "faction_banners_tables" and "faction_tables". I hope I didn't mess with anything else though.

Ygraine's Avatar Campidoctor

Apologies for my absence, had to take a time out for some time due to real life. Today I started again and I've been testing battles to make melee combat a little faster between infantry, like promised.

@Broomish0

I'm using it how it worked in DeI previously, haven't made any custom edits to it. Unless you mean the hoplite phalanx formation?

@GyJleBeP

DV has the same unique capitals like DeI, so if they have walls there they have walls here too.

@Cool_Ranch

Thanks for the feedback! I'm happy that Scorpions are finally in a good spot! It was difficult to balance siege weapons between overpowered and underpowered (especially ballistas).

Siege equipment is an easy fix, I'll put it on my list! Never used galleries myself nor have I seen anyone else use it. I always though they were bugged/broken!

Weird for me the AI will sometimes siege for many turns (granted this doesn't happen super often), and they only sally out if they have big superiority in numbers or if it's the last turn of the siege. You can change starting amount of siege equipment yes, but I do not currently remember where. Might be in the campaign_variable handicap tables.

@Rara61

I'm glad you solved it!
    (2nd position - Gameplay Mods-category - 2016 Modding Awards.)

I mentioned this in a DEI thread, but this mod should consider it too: buffing all faction traits to be more impactful. Right now they're often irrelevant.

Civis

I thought this mod disabled civil wars?

Civis

also athens seems to be OP lol

Default Re: [Overhaul Submod] "Data Venia" (for DeI 1.2.5 - Updated 2020-01-05)

Update is finally out after a 210 turn test-campaign!

@Basilius

I agree. Unfortunately I'm solo modding for over a year now and large projects like that take an insane amount of time to do alone. It's better to cooperate on changes like this for the main mod and implement them into DV later.

@T2av

It did disable civil wars for some time in older versions, then later it was released as a submod. Current version doesn't disable them as there are sufficient amount of ways to counter civil wars quite easily!
    Last edited by Ygraine; January 05, 2020 at 04:12 PM.

Hey Ygraine, thanks for all of your magnificent work.

I'm doing a CiG campaign right now as the Belgae, and I feel that the melee combat is too slow, is it normal? Missiles seems to work well, doing a great number of fatalities in battles, but I can only rout a melee unit, specially a general if I flank him with at least 3 units.

I've found the melee combat to be wonderful....not too slow at all.

Only one thing in battles is that the "Highlight all" button doesn't work. (that flashes friendly and enemy troop colors so you can tell the difference)

Quote Originally Posted by PrimoTw View Post
    Hey Ygraine, thanks for all of your magnificent work.

I'm doing a CiG campaign right now as the Belgae, and I feel that the melee combat is too slow, is it normal? Missiles seems to work well, doing a great number of fatalities in battles, but I can only rout a melee unit, specially a general if I flank him with at least 3 units.
    Thank you,

Missiles are quite effective against unarmoured targets, yes (which I assume you mostly shoot at in CiG due to all the tribes), but as soon as you start firing at armoured ones with shields, they lose effectiveness drastically. I nerfed ranged a little sometime early last year and buffed melee a bit to make them slightly more on par with each other. So it's really all about who you're firing at. Try shooting at heavy hoplites/heavy legionaries frontally, the damage will be minimal!

Quote Originally Posted by gnosis89 View Post
    I've found the melee combat to be wonderful....not too slow at all.

Only one thing in battles is that the "Highlight all" button doesn't work. (that flashes friendly and enemy troop colors so you can tell the difference)
    I'm glad you like it, thanks!

Are you sure you got the latest version? My latest update re-adds the the original highlight triangles. I replaced them previously with some Warhammer shapes briefly, but it didn't work quite the way I wanted them to.

I'm referring to the "highlight all" bottom in the middle of the bottom UI during battles. Where the enemies units flash in red and yours in yellow.
    Not talking about when you simply select a unit and see the yellow triangles underneath (that works).

More importantly I've played around 70 turns now and become fairly powerful (5 settlements) and lots of money, yet still haven't been able to get a single non aggression pact or ally of any kind, not even military access despite having good relations with many factions. Trade agreements however are very easy to get...perhaps too easy. I've sent gifts and the diplomacy option with the characters many times as well, and still nothing.

EDIT:

Infant mortality rates are still WAY too high....I know that Jake somewhat fixed this in his Testudo mod, any chance at implementing that here? Especially when playing on 12 turns per year, as it's a LONG time for children to mature so there's a higher probability of them dying before that age.

Speaking of which, you and Jake should work together. You both make incredible content...both combined would be amazing. (I have to choose between one or the other for campaigns...)
    Last edited by gnosis89; January 13, 2020 at 09:40 PM.

@gnosis89

Yes I know. The reason highlight all stopped working was due to the Warhammer 2 triangles I was testing. I didn't notice it until much later and reverted back to normal ones. It works in the current version (at least in my game). Let me know if you've tested it out and it still doesn't work!

Non-aggression pacts were disabled in DV because I wanted to minimize the amount of diplomatic spam the AI sends your way (which is especially tiresome mid/late-game if you've encountered many factions). Instead of disabling the whole button which is more complicated I simply decided to make it impossible to attain. Besides the AI pretty much ignores NA anyway when declaring war on each other and players. The only function it had was a slight boost in relations. Next update will have the notification "(Disabled)" on the button for NA in the diplomacy screen so that players hopefully don't get confused!

Military Access is possible to get, I have three in my current campaign. I just made it harder than in base DeI because as far as I understand kingdoms didn't like when armies belonging to others marched through their lands, even if it was friendly armies they still had an impact on the land and pissing off the population there. You usually have to pay to get them, and some factions won't give you one even if you pay.
    I suspect that personality might affect what kind of agreements the AI accepts (but not entirely sure), so it's possible that a "treacherous/devious" AI will be less inclined to give you military access and ally with you than a reliable for example. Their personalities do affect how "loyal" they are to their diplomatic agreements.

I made trade easier than before yes, players were often complaining that they couldn't get trade with that many and I wanted to make trade a more viable source of income when your kingdom isn't that big. Trade also benefit both, so it makes sense that most AI's will be willing to accept that, unless they dislike you strongly.
    I did however lower how much relations it boosts, so it's still risky to sail around and explore 15+ factions because some might declare war on you (being how wonky CA's AI is).

I also boosted how much +relations gifts give.

In regards of infant mortality rates, I've buffed it twice now. Once again you sure you have the latest version of the mod? In my own game kids don't die all the time any more, but two versions ago like only 1 out of 10 would survive until "coming of age". Now more than half survive! So it's definitely working properly now!

I'm working together with Jake on a new project which will hopefully come out later this year. As for the rest, it's possible that I might add something with his permission a bit later on.
    Last edited by Ygraine; January 14, 2020 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ygraine View Post
    @gnosis89

Yes I know. The reason highlight all stopped working was due to the Warhammer 2 triangles I was testing. I didn't notice it until much later and reverted back to normal ones. It works in the current version (at least in my game). Let me know if you've tested it out and it still doesn't work!

Non-aggression pacts were disabled in DV because I wanted to minimize the amount of diplomatic spam the AI sends your way (which is especially tiresome mid/late-game if you've encountered many factions). Instead of disabling the whole button which is more complicated I simply decided to make it impossible to attain. Besides the AI pretty much ignores NA anyway when declaring war on each other and players. The only function it had was a slight boost in relations. Next update will have the notification "(Disabled)" on the button for NA in the diplomacy screen so that players hopefully don't get confused!

Military Access is possible to get, I have three in my current campaign. I just made it harder than in base DeI because as far as I understand kingdoms didn't like when armies belonging to others marched through their lands, even if it was friendly armies they still had an impact on the land and pissing off the population there. You usually have to pay to get them, and some factions won't give you one even if you pay.
    I suspect that personality might affect what kind of agreements the AI accepts (but not entirely sure), so it's possible that a "treacherous/devious" AI will be less inclined to give you military access and ally with you than a reliable for example. Their personalities do affect how "loyal" they are to their diplomatic agreements.

I made trade easier than before yes, players were often complaining that they couldn't get trade with that many and I wanted to make trade a more viable source of income when your kingdom isn't that big. Trade also benefit both, so it makes sense that most AI's will be willing to accept that, unless they dislike you strongly.
    I did however lower how much relations it boosts, so it's still risky to sail around and explore 15+ factions because some might declare war on you (being how wonky CA's AI is).

I also boosted how much +relations gifts give.

In regards of infant mortality rates, I've buffed it twice now. Once again you sure you have the latest version of the mod? In my own game kids don't die all the time any more, but two versions ago like only 1 out of 10 would survive until "coming of age". Now more than half survive! So it's definitely working properly now!

I'm working together with Jake on a new project which will hopefully come out later this year. As for the rest, it's possible that I might add something with his permission a bit later on.
    The highlight all button is odd for me. My entire 60+ turns as the Ardaie it didn't work once, nor could I see the unit colors when I moused over them (enemy or friendly) the triangles would only appear when I selected a unit of my own.
    Then, I started a Pergamon campaign and around 30-40 turns in the past three battles I've had have been working correctly (the highlight all button and triangles even when moused over). Though many battles before that it was not working...So I'm not certain what's up....

I had some odd declarations of war in my Pergamon Campaign, pretty quickly even. Even factions that are fond of me. Still, in a total of some 100+ turns in two campaigns I haven't managed to get a single military access, or any kind of alliance. The ONLY time it's been possible is when a faction that is nearly beaten is at war with one (or more) of my enemies and offers it to me or will accept it. I've even tried offering upwards of 12,000 and factions with 100+ relations with me will never accept.

As far as gifts go, I've given around 2,000 and had maybe only +2 in relations.....

I've downloaded the 1.2.5 version from the front page here twice now. I'm not using the steam version though.

Very glad to hear you two are working together. Rome was unplayable for me until DeI and now (despite DeI being incredible) I must say even DeI was unplayable for me after having tried the two of yours (sub) mods. So I thank both of you a great many times.
    Last edited by gnosis89; January 15, 2020 at 04:15 PM.

Hotfix out!

I figured it out Gnosis.

I had forgotten to update the mega link for some reason, so it was still hosting the version from late August last year... So sorry! I just noticed it now when I was pushing a new hotfix! So no wonder it didn't work in your game, and no wonder kids were still dying a lot!

Now both Mega and Workshop are updated with all the latest! Check out changelog for the hotfix too!

The update you were missing has a tweak that decreases random wars a bit, so there should be less of that.
    Haha yes, sometimes AI won't accept a treaty even if you offer them 100 000 for it. Can't do much about it, and besides the AI doesn't really use the gift money anyway. We can thank CA for not fleshing out that part of the game, unfortunately.

Thanks for your kind words! I'm sure Jake appreciates it as well
    Last edited by Ygraine; January 15, 2020 at 07:57 PM.

I suppose I'll just start a new campaign then, I appreciate the fix. What version was I using then?
    Maybe I'll just stick to the Steam version from now on.

Are alliances and military access a bit easier to get as well?

Also, is the 4tpy submod you have listed here working with the newest version?
    Last edited by gnosis89; January 15, 2020 at 08:45 PM.

You were using hotfix12, meaning a lot of stuff was fixed since then!
    This is the first time I forgot to update the non-steam pack, I don't make a habit out of it

"Friendly AI should now be slightly more inclined to offer peace (if at war), military access, defensive pact and less likely to declare war on friendly kingdoms." <--- This is in the update as well, yes.

The 4TPY submod should work, yes. Next major update I'll have to remake it though since I will be re-adding AFP to DV.

AFP?

"All Factions Playable" submod. It used to be included in DV but had to be removed at one point. I have to modify startpos to bring this feature back and that means that I also need to update the 4tpy pack again!

Default Re: [Overhaul Submod] "Data Venia" (for DeI 1.2.5 - Updated 2020-01-16)

Just tried out the new "hotfix" then. I found that starting as both macedonia and masallia I had a -10 expansion diplo with everyone. (At only tier I imperium....) Then, second turn I had a -15 expansionism diplo with everyone, tried another turn to see what happened and it stayed there. This is odd...when I mouse over the imperium slider it says tier II has -10. There's no way just starting out as a one settlement faction that makes sense?

Default Re: [Overhaul Submod] "Data Venia" (for DeI 1.2.5 - Updated 2020-01-16)

Yes, I just rembered that walled cities count more towards imperium than normal towns, this means that factions starting with a walled region will get -10 right off the bat. I'll fix it in the next update. As for -15 that's something else and not tied to Imperium. Perhaps Macedon's hellenic aversion.

Don't forget that you can add diplomacy bonus via research in DV to counter the aversion (and via the governor-general skill tree).
    Last edited by Ygraine; January 16, 2020 at 01:44 PM.