Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041 LastLast

Thread: [Overhaul Submod] "Data Venia" (for DeI 1.2.5 - Updated 2020-01-20)

Default Re: [Overhaul Submod] "Data Venia" (for DeI 1.2.5 - Updated 2019-08-20)

Okay guys, I haven’t been able to sleep for the past week due to a question that keeps running in my mind about something I did…hope you’ll be clement and won’t unsheathe your stones…

Ok, here goes: I’ve recently met some nice beautiful people in my travels and I was wondering if it is cheating to actually be…you know…I was blown…away…Hum, well, I mean, I play as Bactria, and you’ve got that Nomad to the north with their light and swift horse; that Parni to the east with their robust and shiny beast; that Indian to the south with their giant and dreadful Goliath…You have to understand, I tried to resist but in the end…I…I just did what I shouldn’t and…alright, I made them recruitable within my own faction…

Please, wait! Listen!!! Don’t be revulsed and listen: It’s just for a try, and they don’t mean anything to me! I still love and use my phalangitai! I said to myself: alright, we’ll do it carefully, we won’t rush things; we’re going to have them recruitable for only where their core settlement is located, and only if the whole region is under control, and also if they want so, of course. I mean, I never forced myself upon them, God…I mean, yes, I killed their men, brothers, husbands, and maybe ravaged completely their homeland, just a little bit, but in the end, I built them nice barracks where they can train everyday, have some fun to blow…the steam off, be happy in sum and serve me…Not all the time, sure, but when I really need them…

Am I a bad person? I mean, am I a bad king?

Ygraine's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: [Overhaul Submod] "Data Venia" (for DeI 1.2.5 - Updated 2019-08-21)

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback!

First of all I suggest you get the latest version uploaded 21/8 since it fixed some issues in the previous ones (in particular cav having too much hp).

Attrition was removed for besiegers, but I've been unable to remove the attrition-effect - not sure if it's even possible to do so. If you look at siege tech, there should only be defender-attrition tech available now.

unit_to_building? As far as I know there exists no table like this. Do you mean "buildings_units_allowed_tables"?

Great! I haven't experienced the four half-full armies-part myself so I cannot comment on that, but I do agree that the new recruitment time system is better than the old.

Non-aggression pacts were disabled completely many versions ago, but I couldn't remove it from the diplomacy UI. The reason was to avoid the AI spamming you with NA mid/late-game.

Basically all successor-factions that didn't have their own levy version received the new one.
    Bactrians got their own levy pike version, that's why I didn't add the generic one to their roster. I haven't played Bactria for a long time though so it's entirely possible that DeI disabled them from their roster, and thus I'll have to re-activate them. Will check Bactria later, if they're missing the unit I'll add them back in the next update.

Yes, lol. I hated how heavy infantry could catch medium cav when charging them in the old versions.. With the new unit speeds I've made sure that it's not possible any more. And yes, just like you said skirmishers are also hard to catch for medium/heavy infantry now. The heaviest armoured skirmishers have the same speed as medium infantry and thus should be able to outrun all heavy infantry easily. Don't forget that the nomads all received extra horses/men to all their units, from 120 to 150!

As for hoplites, since CA broke the old hoplite formation in one of their last patches there are only two ways to have a working phalanx for them now. The way Kam uses where he adds the pike formation to hoplites, and my way where they have it always activated with a tight formation. In my opinion the pike formation doesn't work well for hoplites since they have to go closer to the enemy in melee, while pikemen hold them at a distance. I saw the AI mess up and rotate strangely in melee when their hoplites had the pike version. Also hoplites received a speed bonus with the new speed system in DV, should be faster now than before. Feel free to test the new speed and let me know what you think.

No need to add them to core rosters, conquer regions instead and get them via AoR!
    Last edited by Ygraine; August 25, 2019 at 06:27 AM.
    (2nd position - Gameplay Mods-category - 2016 Modding Awards.)

Здравствуйте, я пишу через переводчика.Я играю один на один. Дей играть + жесткий мод. Ваш мод сложнее хард или нет? У македонцев автобонус против соседей. У вас есть какие-либо гарнизоны в dei они очень большие 2 LVL стены для 20 единиц. AI не может бить игрока, нам нужно в 2 раза меньше, вы любите их?

Quote Originally Posted by Ygraine View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for your feedback!

First of all I suggest you get the latest version uploaded 21/8 since it fixed some issues in the previous ones (in particular cav having too much hp).

Attrition was removed for besiegers, but I've been unable to remove the attrition-effect - not sure if it's even possible to do so. If you look at siege tech, there should only be defender-attrition tech available now.

unit_to_building? As far as I know there exists no table like this. Do you mean "buildings_units_allowed_tables"?

Great! I haven't experienced the four half-full armies-part myself so I cannot comment on that, but I do agree that the new recruitment time system is better than the old.

Non-aggression pacts were disabled completely many versions ago, but I couldn't remove it from the diplomacy UI. The reason was to avoid the AI spamming you with NA mid/late-game.

Basically all successor-factions that didn't have their own levy version received the new one.
    Bactrians got their own levy pike version, that's why I didn't add the generic one to their roster. I haven't played Bactria for a long time though so it's entirely possible that DeI disabled them from their roster, and thus I'll have to re-activate them. Will check Bactria later, if they're missing the unit I'll add them back in the next update.

Yes, lol. I hated how heavy infantry could catch medium cav when charging them in the old versions.. With the new unit speeds I've made sure that it's not possible any more. And yes, just like you said skirmishers are also hard to catch for medium/heavy infantry now. The heaviest armoured skirmishers have the same speed as medium infantry and thus should be able to outrun all heavy infantry easily. Don't forget that the nomads all received extra horses/men to all their units, from 120 to 150!

As for hoplites, since CA broke the old hoplite formation in one of their last patches there are only two ways to have a working phalanx for them now. The way Kam uses where he adds the pike formation to hoplites, and my way where they have it always activated with a tight formation. In my opinion the pike formation doesn't work well for hoplites since they have to go closer to the enemy in melee, while pikemen hold them at a distance. I saw the AI mess up and rotate strangely in melee when their hoplites had the pike version. Also hoplites received a speed bonus with the new speed system in DV, should be faster now than before. Feel free to test the new speed and let me know what you think.

No need to add them to core rosters, conquer regions instead and get them via AoR!

Ah! Thanks for the answer Ygraine and clarifications; was still doubting about my install that could be corrupt. Then again, I'm really of the forgiving type, and it's always a joy to play your submod (don't up too much though, I'm watching you... I mean...I'm following the thread...)

Lol, anyway, sorry about those things you changed I didn't notice in the change log, especially about besieging --I actually thought I read you increased the effect, which was why I thought u might have blundered somewhere. As for the effect, do u mean the visual effect or the notification in the portrait of the general (that you can't delete)? If the former, I actually downloaded some mods long ago that hide those skulls and other stuff on campaign map. Just holler if you need me.

Speaking of which, if forgot to report to you the disfunction of the highlight button during battles; u guys may not use it, I do a lot, and quite fortunately I managed to do away with the problem in no time by deleting some of your dds files in UI section Ygraine (quite lucky I found so quickly). Then again, it was in that version of last week I refered to.

And again, sorry for not being more specific when pointing to the fact I couldn't find a table in your mod pack; I thought you would have guessed what I was refering to, and you did, namely I couldn't find the table to allow some buildings (barracks) to "produce" some units (hum, still ashamed 'bout what I did...; I know there is the AoR thingy, but it does not allow for the elites of foreign factions to be recruited...Man, I disgust myself sometimes...). Just thought I should point it out to you in case you "forgot" to put it in, lol .

As for the Non-agression pact, that's some news! And to think about the number of times I tried to propose such an agreement to others...If impossible to delete for you, why not just rename it to something like "not working - don't use" or whatever fits? Would save lots of curses from the player towards the other nations...

And finally, however tempting that major update of yours is, I must confess to you that I was waiting a bit before trying it out. I saw many times you hot fixed stuff and I was kind of waiting for it to be more of a "stable" version. And here comes my confession: I'm trying another mod in the meantime. I know I've been kind of a letdown these days, but it's just so I better enjoy and report about a version that you don't keep changing all the time (saying this with all respect, it's a great thing to see u involved so much in your sub after all this time, thank you again! I'm really eager to see those battle changes.).
    Btw, I cannot keep it quiet, and sorry if you're the kind of guy that hate we speak about other's mods (sure you're not, though ) but have you seen/played the submod of Jake: SUBMOD: a Slower Paced DeI Campaign? It's pretty neat, with a nice and slow-paced gameplay where you focus much more on your territory rather than rushing pretty blindly and at no risk (most of the time) towards your neighbours. It's very dynamic, with a very nice political focus overall. Dunno, maybe it could give you some ideas you who are tweaking the dynamic of the campaign map gameplay .

Oh, and do something about those diplomats you send away and who bring back in their luggages a settlement!! lol!

Thanks for all Ygraine

Quote Originally Posted by GyJIeBeP View Post
    Здравствуйте, я пишу через переводчика.Я играю один на один. Дей играть + жесткий мод. Ваш мод сложнее хард или нет? У македонцев автобонус против соседей. У вас есть какие-либо гарнизоны в dei они очень большие 2 LVL стены для 20 единиц. AI не может бить игрока, нам нужно в 2 раза меньше, вы любите их?
    So, you are writing through a translator...in russian? On a forum which uses english? Lol, buddy, write in english or you're going to get slapped

I personnally didn't understand much of what you wrote, but so you know, Data Venia is considered harder than DeI and meant to be played on Normal difficulty.

About garrisons and AI, Data Venia uses now double-amount of troops in garrisons (twice as more as DeI, if I'm not mistaken). So you should feel it harder to storm a settlement now, even if AI is dumb as...CA programming them.

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...ftcore-Submods

спасибо, что ответили. Мы используем dei+ тот, что на ссылке. Насколько трудно это может быть вашим или нашим?

забавная вещь случилась, ну вам должно быть приятно, когда на английском форуме кто-то пишет по-русски или по-китайски.известный сайт.

КГБ наблюдал и следил за ним .

Last edited by GyJIeBeP; August 26, 2019 at 09:36 AM.

Hi guys, Im currently playing a DeI 1.2.5 campaign, and wanted to know if this submod is save game compatible or i have to restart my campaign?
    Cheers.
    Historia est magistra vitae. - Cicero

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

With an overhaul as big as this you most certainly need to start a new campaign, especially that Data Venia modifies the startpos file.

Is 1.2.5 supposed to be save game compatible with 1.2.4? After updating DEI and DV, my game crashes when I attempt to load my save game.

I see there's a 4 tpy submod, what's the default tpy for DEI, two? I wish the Historical Family Systems submod had a 4tpy option...

DeI has 4tpy. Does DV use other tpy?

I just fired up a fresh Grand Campaign, looks like DV is 12 tpy. I like the pacing for military maneuvers and such, but I don't think I can bear starting the grand campaign from scratch. How long does it take to unlock Mariam reforms, a century? At 12 tpy and ~1 minute for all the AI factions to make their moves at the end of each turn, it'd take 20 hours just of end turn waiting to get back to where I left off...

Thats understandable. I will give it a try after I finish my parthian campaign. One more question, whats the difference between DV and Testudo?

Quote Originally Posted by DominusEtDeus View Post
    Thats understandable. I will give it a try after I finish my parthian campaign. One more question, whats the difference between DV and Testudo?
    Wow, what's the difference between hamburgers and burritos? Lol, try both! DV is more of a difficult/nicely balanced version of DeI + an older version of the battle system DeI used to use (let Zeus strike me dead if I'm wrong). And now Ygraine even gave a nice battle overhaul with his major update (of what I saw, didn't play it yet). Been playing it for years now, and loving it as well!
    As for Testudo (the slow campaign submod which includes three submds from Jake Armitage, you mean?), well, it is a more strategical, slow experience of the game. I'm playing it these days, and must say it is very very nice, especially the "take your time" feeling, which makes you really savour the game now, no more rushing headlessly anywhere. It is achieved through a well thought political system (Jake must have put a lot of work into it) which NOW matters, lol, and which has ties with your settlements PO, build costs, etc.,well, in short it's pretty nicely done and let you now feel that all you do matters. Maybe not a submod for everyone, as it can be tough (you got many modules to custom the thingy, though).

all in all, long live both and their author! Try them both, you'll see yourself.

Default Re: [Submod] Data Venia - Overhaul (for DeI 1.1)

Great submod. I'm really enjoying it. Currently playing the Imperator Augustus Campaign (about 50 or so turns in) and suddenly my research times have gone beserk. 300+ plus in the military trees yet only 1 turn per tech in the civil. However when I have a civil tech selected it never actually finishes. Just says 1 turn to go constantly. Wondering if this is an issue with the IA campaign or something has gone wrong. Not running any other mods besides graphical and base Dei of course.

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been absent for a week.

DV uses 12 TPY (it had 24 TPY in older versions). It does have a 4 TPY submod though, in the "downloads" section.

@DominusEtDeus

Yes, it needs a new campaign. Saves from vanilla DeI won't work.

@Cool_Ranch

Unfortunately there were no guarantees if the 1.2.5 update would be save-game compatible with 1.2.4 in DV, due to AFP not being updated for 1.2.5. That meant I had to remove it in 1.2.5 and it's possible that save games from 1.2.4 relying on tables in AFP now missing won't work. I could have waited with my update but Dresden said there was no ETA on AFP.
    As for Marian reforms, I don't recall the exact amount of turns but you can easily edit reform times in one of the scripts (as simple as changing one number to another, using RPFM and then saving). If you're interested I can help you with this once I'm home.

@itsweeting

I'm not sure what that could be. Which faction are you playing? I haven't really polished IA yet so it's possible there are some oddities here and there. But reports like this will help me to find and fix those oddities. I'll start up my own campaign in IA next week so that I can begin my search for similar occurrences.

Thanks guys, I will definitely try DV once I finished my vanilla DeI campaign. I hope it will be more challenging.

Default Re: [Submod] Data Venia - Overhaul (for DeI 1.1)

@ Ygraine playing as Octavian. Its quite bizarre because it came out of nowhere. Everything was smooth until that point. As I said tho, I'm enjoying the mod still
    Last edited by ltsweeting; September 03, 2019 at 08:39 AM.

I am playing as Egypt, all my non-green neighbors declared war on me, in about 20-25 turns. It really seems no mod or sub mod can reign the dumb dumb AI, I even try using cheats to force a peace with money, but nope no amount of money will convince the knuckleheads to have a peace treaty.

It just completely destroys the fun and immersion.

EDIT: Scratch that, even green factions declare war on me...
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; September 04, 2019 at 06:35 AM.

@Ygraine It's all good, started a new campaign and I'm enjoying it. What is RPFM? Something pack file manager? I'd be interested in taking a look at the reform dates, if not tweaking them for my game, if you could advise me that'd be great (I have some TW modding experience).

Some feedback:
    -Playing as Rome, campaign AI and balance feels like its in a good place, rivals are aggressive and numerous, allies and vassals have been pretty loyal, but not to a fault, trade and other diplomatic aggreements are attainable, not getting spammed with frivolous offers, etc.
    -I like the changes to the physics, cavalry charges look a lot more impactful now, they used to feel so anemic, even if the results they produced were statistically balanced.
    -Artillery scatter is messed up. The roman ballista flaming shot could miss a city wall at point blank range. The scatter values in the projectiles table were as high as 25, while giant ballistas have a scatter of 10. I lowered the scatter to match the giant ballista, balance seems pretty good, the casualties a regular ballista usually inflicts on an advancing army in field battles seems reasonable, doesnt seem to over preform under typical conditions, unless you're going out of your way to be cheesy.

Can the unit experience gain from combat be tweaked easily? It seems too slow relative to the experience you can get on fresh recruits with the appropriate infrastructure. Even if you're researching technologies in a balanced manner (ie not rushing mil tech), your most veteran troops that have fought in every campaign still lag behind in experience compared to the new recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    I am playing as Egypt, all my non-green neighbors declared war on me, in about 20-25 turns. It really seems no mod or sub mod can reign the dumb dumb AI, I even try using cheats to force a peace with money, but nope no amount of money will convince the knuckleheads to have a peace treaty.

It just completely destroys the fun and immersion.

EDIT: Scratch that, even green factions declare war on me...
    This is the AI "snowball effect" which happens sometimes when you neglect diplomacy (usually early game). What happens is that your enemies keep inviting other factions to attack you, which they will do either if your military is weak or if they want to curry favour with your enemies.
    My suggestion is to check carefully what factions you don't want to be at war with and try to appease them. For example I made some changes like increasing release captives diplomatic gain substantially to help signing peace agreements if you don't want a war with a particular kingdom.
    Also remember that if your total military might is low, other kingdoms might declare war on you to try to take some of your lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool_Ranch View Post
    @Ygraine It's all good, started a new campaign and I'm enjoying it. What is RPFM? Something pack file manager? I'd be interested in taking a look at the reform dates, if not tweaking them for my game, if you could advise me that'd be great (I have some TW modding experience).

Some feedback:
    -Playing as Rome, campaign AI and balance feels like its in a good place, rivals are aggressive and numerous, allies and vassals have been pretty loyal, but not to a fault, trade and other diplomatic aggreements are attainable, not getting spammed with frivolous offers, etc.
    -I like the changes to the physics, cavalry charges look a lot more impactful now, they used to feel so anemic, even if the results they produced were statistically balanced.
    -Artillery scatter is messed up. The roman ballista flaming shot could miss a city wall at point blank range. The scatter values in the projectiles table were as high as 25, while giant ballistas have a scatter of 10. I lowered the scatter to match the giant ballista, balance seems pretty good, the casualties a regular ballista usually inflicts on an advancing army in field battles seems reasonable, doesnt seem to over preform under typical conditions, unless you're going out of your way to be cheesy.

Can the unit experience gain from combat be tweaked easily? It seems too slow relative to the experience you can get on fresh recruits with the appropriate infrastructure. Even if you're researching technologies in a balanced manner (ie not rushing mil tech), your most veteran troops that have fought in every campaign still lag behind in experience compared to the new recruits.
    Great! Yes, it's "Rusted Pack File Manager", a new and different version of PFM with a lot of new features! It also doesn't crash randomly and corrupt your pack like PFM could do.
    Go to "reforms.lua" (in lua_scripts) and browse down to second reform "ladder" (first one is for the AI called "Global"), there you can easily edit what turn reforms should trigger at for the various factions.

Here's how Rome looks: roman = {3, 100, 5, 260, 7, 480},

The first number is the required imperium level needed, the second the amount of turns.
    Speaking of which, 480 is quite much.. I think I'll lower all reform-times slightly next time I update the pack, for all factions.

Thanks for the feedback!

-Diplomacy is like I explained to The Despondent Mind above, sometimes you can get a snowball effect which usually happens if you neglect the diplomacy side (or if you back the "wrong" kingdom in another war, and other kingdoms back the opponent and thus get angry at you). Otherwise I also found it in a pretty good spot. Yes, making NA impossible to get and for the AI to suggest it removed a big amount of the diplomacy spam on AI turns.

-Glad you like the cav changes!

-In regards of artillery I increased the spread of ballistas since some other players were complaining that they were racking up 1000-2000 kills with them using fire balls against armies. I designed fire balls to be effective vs infantry with large aoe and shockwave once they hit, in comparison the stone ammo version has less spread is excels better against walls/towers/ships. Perhaps I overnerfed fire ball spread though.. I will test it in a custom game, thanks for letting me know.

-Since DV has 12 base TPY, I increased the amount of exp needed to progress per chevron level. I also removed most sources that give you +1 to rank when recruiting new units, but it's possible I missed some sources. Which ones did you notice? Right now the only one that I can think of is max tier barracks and some specific temples that add for example +1 rank to all spear recruits. There shouldn't be any other source giving +rank on recruitment. If there is then I've missed it! And in regards of max rank barracks, I think I will increase recruitment rank to +2, because that tier pretty much never unlocks any new units and is kind of pointless to build if you don't get proper boni for your trouble (it's also late tech).
    You can edit the exp needed per level in db-> "unit_experience_thresholds_tables". I recommend making your own pack, import the tables in DV you want to edit and load it before DV. That way you won't lose your edits every time I update the overhaul.