Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: [Overhaul Submod] "Data Venia" (for DeI 1.2.5 - Updated 2020-01-20)

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: [Overhaul Submod] "Data Venia" (for DeI 1.2.2g - Updated 11th January)

Quote Originally Posted by Ygraine View Post

So, the main idea is to also give all those Qanats, blue buildings and also some farms a "make over" so there is always a situation when you prefer to have a certain type over another. Like when you choose which type of temple you want in a certain place (then again some temples are also almost never built, because the others simply outperform them too much).

I hope this made sense
    I dig it. Old school EB style.

Default Re: [Overhaul Submod] "Data Venia" (for DeI 1.2.2g - Updated 11th January)

I meant that unfortunately due to the silly and extremely limited amount of building slots most players will find that some buildings are completely useless and you prioritize a couple of them in all provinces you own. Like how often would you actually bother with a Qanat or many of those yellow buildings in minor towns? Or how about the blue sanitation chains in major cities?

For example in main DeI you could never compete against the local commerce chain in the resource building tree with the resource chain, because the former just gave you soooo much more income (especially since you could boost it even more through agents, the commercial stimulation edict and governor-generals). In the upcoming big DV patch I increased the amount of resources the non-commercial chain gives by a lot together with resources themselves being worth more. This means that if you have looots of trading partners and your kingdom isn't very large, you will benefit more from getting more resources per building than going the local commerce route. If you barely have any trading partners or none at all, picking the local commerce will be better.

So, the main idea is to also give all those Qanats, blue buildings and also some farms a "make over" so there is always a situation when you prefer to have a certain type over another. Like when you choose which type of temple you want in a certain place (then again some temples are also almost never built, because the others simply outperform them too much).

I hope this made sense
    Perfectly summarizes what I feel about the current build! I never really care to build religious / cultural focused building for example as both happiness and wealth can more easily come from agents, governing generals and economic building. If not for "role play" that is. Maybe adding increased cultural and happiness penalties to some commerce buildings would make the religious and cultural buildings a nice counterweight too (to represent the flux of merchant foreigners and theirs own beliefs spreading, causing the local populace to be disgruntled). The capital chain of the provincial capital also feels a bit off to me. I do see the difference between a fortified city and the two other options, but but between the trade one and the "normal" one, I always go trade, as it seems more beneficial.
    Well, all in all your changes seems very promising. Looking forward to them

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Louis Le Gueux View Post
    Perfectly summarizes what I feel about the current build! I never really care to build religious / cultural focused building for example as both happiness and wealth can more easily come from agents, governing generals and economic building. If not for "role play" that is. Maybe adding increased cultural and happiness penalties to some commerce buildings would make the religious and cultural buildings a nice counterweight too (to represent the flux of merchant foreigners and theirs own beliefs spreading, causing the local populace to be disgruntled). The capital chain of the provincial capital also feels a bit off to me. I do see the difference between a fortified city and the two other options, but but between the trade one and the "normal" one, I always go trade, as it seems more beneficial.
    Well, all in all your changes seems very promising. Looking forward to them
    That's a really good idea!
    Ygraine's too are good ideas, looking forward to see them in action!

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    That's a really good idea!
    Ygraine's too are good ideas, looking forward to see them in action!
    Thanks Jake Armitage there would be so much to do about this game…Overall I feel it lacks "contrast", depth, and to me playing any faction just feels the same…I don't know if it's nostalgia speaking and my memories clouding my judgement but, lol, I miss being bankrupt with -20000 of wealth and having to fight my way to the top just like in EB1…Now whether it is Parthia, Bactria, the Nomads or the Seleucids, it seems like it all comes to building op buildings and off you go. Fortunately, there's Ygraine's mod which for the first time made me actually enjoy the game and reminded me of EB.

Speaking of which, Ygraine I'm sorry to be a pain but I was wondering if u'd be interested in getting a little list of easy fixes/ silly bugs that I compiled throughout my playthrough with Parthia. These ones ARE real bugs, lol, not just me wondering whether they are intended stuff or not, like that technology that let you have cheaper chariots recruitment and upkeep while your faction does not actually field any Nothing daunting, just 3-5 things I noticed for now. Don't want to add to your burden though, just proposing :/ If ok, let me know whether I should just list stuff right here for everyone to see and comment or send it to u in private.

Ygraine's Avatar Campidoctor

Thanks Jake Armitage there would be so much to do about this game…Overall I feel it lacks "contrast", depth, and to me playing any faction just feels the same…I don't know if it's nostalgia speaking and my memories clouding my judgement but, lol, I miss being bankrupt with -20000 of wealth and having to fight my way to the top just like in EB1…Now whether it is Parthia, Bactria, the Nomads or the Seleucids, it seems like it all comes to building op buildings and off you go. Fortunately, there's Ygraine's mod which for the first time made me actually enjoy the game and reminded me of EB.

Speaking of which, Ygraine I'm sorry to be a pain but I was wondering if u'd be interested in getting a little list of easy fixes/ silly bugs that I compiled throughout my playthrough with Parthia. These ones ARE real bugs, lol, not just me wondering whether they are intended stuff or not, like that technology that let you have cheaper chariots recruitment and upkeep while your faction does not actually field any Nothing daunting, just 3-5 things I noticed for now. Don't want to add to your burden though, just proposing :/ If ok, let me know whether I should just list stuff right here for everyone to see and comment or send it to u in private.
    Gladly! Always happy when someone else finds discrepancies and reports them! It's very difficult to find everything on my own.
    You can list it here, and I'll check it in-game and fix it right away.
    (2nd position - Gameplay Mods-category - 2016 Modding Awards.)

Can you use the hardcore submod with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Logic^ View Post
    If it only changes the CAI behaviour, yes. If it changes any unit stats, buildings, economy etc - then no. DV is already a hardcore mod in many aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by Logic^ View Post
    Hardcore mod has many versions. The CAI only is probably compatible, as Ygraine already mentioned.

Ok, here goes:

WEIRD STUFF:

1/ Light artillery Penteres have way too many stones (u can spend literally 30 mins throwing stones with them (tried it, lol)).

2/ Nisean breeder in Parthia tactic technology tree (last one) gives bonuses about chariots (upkeep + recruitment cost reduction) while this faction does not train chariots.

3/ Around Rhodes (Mare Carpathium) I can see doublon units like Pursuit Trihemiolia, Rhodioi Sphendonetai and Trieres, Rhodioi Epibatoi in fleet mercenary pool, one of each being slightly cheaper than the other.

REMARKS/POSSIBLY ALREADY REPORTED STUFF:

4/ While manning the light galleries upon storming the walls of a city, units in hoplite formation tend to stand way back the gallery, while "normal" units position themselves at the front, actually making light galleries pretty useless in both cases, as projectiles still hit your troops which are not properly roofed by the siege equipment (and this sucks, as now towers are really deadly).

5/ Troops on sea seem not to travel faster than on land.

6/ Ships docked in your city actually help with public order rather than negate it as stated in the little info pop-up.

7/ Basic horse archers for Parthia only available at tiers 2 barrack (while tiers 1 gives noble horsemen (but u said that recruitment tree was messed up, so…)).

8/ Erin Mesh Uriki (Elite Akkadian Infantry) are very powerful, even compared to other elite hoplites.

9/ Empire reform gives bonus of +1 edict; useless as unlimited number of edicts issuable (maybe should be replaced?).

BOLD STUFF/PERSONAL OPINION/PLEASE DON’T HURT ME: )

10/ Sometimes, some AI units just seem to stay stuck somewhere in the battlefield (especially when they attack your city). I believe it is due to their inability to see player’s units that are hidden by terrain/buildings, hence having no target in sight towards which to move to make them just lay around. I guess then that if it was possible/safe/undisruptive to remove that feature, that would clear the problem. Yeah, I know, ambushes in the woods may not work so well after that…Idk.

11/ Dissident generals do not seem to be so active after player’s faction goes into civil war. If they were general/governor of a city that do not belong to their party, they are simply kicked out of it and remain next to it. Of what I’ve seen, they start recruiting mercenary only after many turns later. And I do not remember seeing rebel generals in rebellious towns recruiting any units either. Then again, experiencing civil wars in this mod seems strange, as I thought you (Ygraine) disabled it until better implemented. So, maybe this is the reason why, but spawning rebellious generals along with a nice army would make more sense (if it is possible), as one would not be so stupid as to secede without any fire power to actually do sth.

12/ In the same vein, I find rebels (from a city rebellion, not from a civil war) to be pretty useless. They are a pain, yes, but not really a threat. Again, I feel that if you intend to rebel against your ruler, you do so at least knowing that you are nicely supported (by good troops, that could represent the local nobility joining the rebels). Here they are just spawned with a few peasants to help, and if given time to muster more men, then just get even more peasants x). So, I don’t really care about going negative with the public order anymore. Just to compare, when I first played the game, I was like crazy trying not to have a city rebel until it actually happened! And when it did, I laughed! (no, kidding, I actually cried…lol). Such a shame, I miss the full stack rebel army of EB…

That’s it for now ; )
    P.-S.: Do I get the sycophant household member for reporting all these?

Good report!

But from what I can say numbers 3 and 6 are also present in basic DeI and not necessarily bugs.

Still I offer you the "barbarian slave girl" as a reward for this detailed report

Ok, here goes:

WEIRD STUFF:

1/ Light artillery Penteres have way too many stones (u can spend literally 30 mins throwing stones with them (tried it, lol)).

2/ Nisean breeder in Parthia tactic technology tree (last one) gives bonuses about chariots (upkeep + recruitment cost reduction) while this faction does not train chariots.

3/ Around Rhodes (Mare Carpathium) I can see doublon units like Pursuit Trihemiolia, Rhodioi Sphendonetai and Trieres, Rhodioi Epibatoi in fleet mercenary pool, one of each being slightly cheaper than the other.

REMARKS/POSSIBLY ALREADY REPORTED STUFF:

4/ While manning the light galleries upon storming the walls of a city, units in hoplite formation tend to stand way back the gallery, while "normal" units position themselves at the front, actually making light galleries pretty useless in both cases, as projectiles still hit your troops which are not properly roofed by the siege equipment (and this sucks, as now towers are really deadly).

5/ Troops on sea seem not to travel faster than on land.

6/ Ships docked in your city actually help with public order rather than negate it as stated in the little info pop-up.

7/ Basic horse archers for Parthia only available at tiers 2 barrack (while tiers 1 gives noble horsemen (but u said that recruitment tree was messed up, so…)).

8/ Erin Mesh Uriki (Elite Akkadian Infantry) are very powerful, even compared to other elite hoplites.

9/ Empire reform gives bonus of +1 edict; useless as unlimited number of edicts issuable (maybe should be replaced?).

BOLD STUFF/PERSONAL OPINION/PLEASE DON’T HURT ME: )

10/ Sometimes, some AI units just seem to stay stuck somewhere in the battlefield (especially when they attack your city). I believe it is due to their inability to see player’s units that are hidden by terrain/buildings, hence having no target in sight towards which to move to make them just lay around. I guess then that if it was possible/safe/undisruptive to remove that feature, that would clear the problem. Yeah, I know, ambushes in the woods may not work so well after that…Idk.

11/ Dissident generals do not seem to be so active after player’s faction goes into civil war. If they were general/governor of a city that do not belong to their party, they are simply kicked out of it and remain next to it. Of what I’ve seen, they start recruiting mercenary only after many turns later. And I do not remember seeing rebel generals in rebellious towns recruiting any units either. Then again, experiencing civil wars in this mod seems strange, as I thought you (Ygraine) disabled it until better implemented. So, maybe this is the reason why, but spawning rebellious generals along with a nice army would make more sense (if it is possible), as one would not be so stupid as to secede without any fire power to actually do sth.

12/ In the same vein, I find rebels (from a city rebellion, not from a civil war) to be pretty useless. They are a pain, yes, but not really a threat. Again, I feel that if you intend to rebel against your ruler, you do so at least knowing that you are nicely supported (by good troops, that could represent the local nobility joining the rebels). Here they are just spawned with a few peasants to help, and if given time to muster more men, then just get even more peasants x). So, I don’t really care about going negative with the public order anymore. Just to compare, when I first played the game, I was like crazy trying not to have a city rebel until it actually happened! And when it did, I laughed! (no, kidding, I actually cried…lol). Such a shame, I miss the full stack rebel army of EB…

That’s it for now ; )
    P.-S.: Do I get the sycophant household member for reporting all these?

1. Iirc they use the same ammo as the land version of Lithobolos, and due to only having one stone-thrower on the ship the ammo lasts a lot longer than when you have several on land. Lithobolos/Oxybeles/Polybolos all got a big overhaul in the upcoming patch to make them a lot more useful (and a lot more expensive), so I might still tweak the ammo count before release.

2. Thanks, will replace with something more useful for Parthia!

3. Like Hoplitus wrote, it's something present in base DeI too. I haven't edited merc availability in DV.

4. I haven't used those in ages because I recall them being near useless from vanilla/early DeI times.

5. Afaik land and sea movement on the campaign map share the same variable.

6. It does negate public order in my beta version, pretty sure it did that in previous versions too. I haven't edited DeIs base script for this. It shows as if you are gaining public order in the town/city, but you'll notice public order going down next turn.

7. Yes, the recruitment tiers need a total rework as there's a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense right now (as the example you gave), will try to get it done before 1.2.3 patch but no promises as it's very time consuming due to the amount of units and how the building_units_allowed-table is structured.

8. Yes, they should be strong! I think they have no cap though, so I need to add a cap and probably rebalance their price or something as they're most likely a little too cheap right now.

9. Good catch, something that evaded me... I think there's also some kingdom reform that also gives +edict. Need to find all those and replace with something else.

10. BAI isn't moddable unfortunately. I know that the AI sometimes stands still at sieges. Usually the army does it while some units push ladders. On rare occasions they don't push them for some reason and everyone else just stand still. It's not mod-related as far as I'm aware, should work the same way in vanilla. You can trigger them by sallying with one unit and shooting/charging at the closest enemy.

11. Civil wars were enabled with the latest CA patch, what is still disabled is all the useless assassination/bribe/adoption-spam. I haven't edited civil wars otherwise, and they should use vanilla/dei settings.

12. I asked Dresden about this a few weeks ago, if it was possible to set up a mechanic where a full stack of rebels spawn right away (like slave uprisings work), because I agree that rebellions right now are a joke. Unfortunately there's not much he can do about it right now. They're also pretty much free exp farming if you have a general nearby who needs exp. Just spam auto on them as soon as they pop up! They're a larger threat if you play with 41-units per army and don't kill them right away, then they'll muster until they have 46 units in total before attacking (41 in one army and 4 in a new one).

Lol, this is welcome, but I’m so afraid she would chop my s off during the night…

Having played DeI, I know a few “bugs” are part of it, but as I list everything that seems not to work, why not that? Chances are that those obvious glitches have already been reported, just like that thing with light galleries, which is solved (I guess) by implementing a hoplite formation button just like latest DeI versions, but I have no way to know for sure, so…here I post

And about 6, when you read something but experiment the total opposite of what is intended, I call it a bug Garrisoned troops in general are made to impact negatively your public order, unless using the submod to revert that effect back to be vanilla like.

Sorry for double-posting, didn't see your reply Ygraine.

1. Iirc they use the same ammo as the land version of Lithobolos, and due to only having one stone-thrower on the ship the ammo lasts a lot longer than when you have several on land. Lithobolos/Oxybeles/Polybolos all got a big overhaul in the upcoming patch to make them a lot more useful (and a lot more expensive), so I might still tweak the ammo count before release.

2. Thanks, will replace with something more useful for Parthia!

3. Like Hoplitus wrote, it's something present in base DeI too. I haven't edited merc availability in DV.

4. I haven't used those in ages because I recall them being near useless from vanilla/early DeI times.

5. Afaik land and sea movement on the campaign map share the same variable.

6. It does negate public order in my beta version, pretty sure it did that in previous versions too. I haven't edited DeIs base script for this. It shows as if you are gaining public order in the town/city, but you'll notice public order going down next turn.

7. Yes, the recruitment tiers need a total rework as there's a lot of stuff that doesn't make sense right now (as the example you gave), will try to get it done before 1.2.3 patch but no promises as it's very time consuming due to the amount of units and how the building_units_allowed-table is structured.

8. Yes, they should be strong! I think they have no cap though, so I need to add a cap and probably rebalance their price or something as they're most likely a little too cheap right now.

9. Good catch, something that evaded me... I think there's also some kingdom reform that also gives +edict. Need to find all those and replace with something else.

10. BAI isn't moddable unfortunately. I know that the AI sometimes stands still at sieges. Usually the army does it while some units push ladders. On rare occasions they don't push them for some reason and everyone else just stand still. It's not mod-related as far as I'm aware, should work the same way in vanilla. You can trigger them by sallying with one unit and shooting/charging at the closest enemy.

11. Civil wars were enabled with the latest CA patch, what is still disabled is all the useless assassination/bribe/adoption-spam. I haven't edited civil wars otherwise, and they should use vanilla/dei settings.

12. I asked Dresden about this a few weeks ago, if it was possible to set up a mechanic where a full stack of rebels spawn right away (like slave uprisings work), because I agree that rebellions right now are a joke. Unfortunately there's not much he can do about it right now. They're also pretty much free exp farming if you have a general nearby who needs exp. Just spam auto on them as soon as they pop up! They're a larger threat if you play with 41-units per army and don't kill them right away, then they'll muster until they have 46 units in total before attacking (41 in one army and 4 in a new one).

Thanks for your answer friend, but you didn't have to reply to it ; I trust you to handle your mod as you see fit with the info one might provide you.

1/ A shame, as it makes taking "Sea cities" really easy. But don't see what else could be done.

6/ Sorry about that. I did see an immediate positive effect when docking, which is what tricked me. Shall pay more attention.

7/ Actually, right before switching to your mod, I was trying to implement levy phalangitai for Bactria (but you beat me to it ) and adding to their roster a few more pikes. So if you swear to me that it is easy, I could volunteer to help u with that task! Jean-Louis Le Gueux does not ask how many, but where they are!

8/ Yes, I can recruit very many. What simply struck me is that those hoplites must be the best of the game, while hailing from Mesopotamia and outperforming those from Greece. But then again, I'm not that good at History.

10/ ...Shameful display...

Thanks for the other helpful info
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; May 21, 2018 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Double Posting.

Hello, two quick questions, please.
    when are you going to update?
    if I want to play your mod, how do I get 1.2.2g?

too bad it doesn't work anymore.

looking forward to an update

Lol, this is welcome, but I’m so afraid she would chop my s off during the night…

Having played DeI, I know a few “bugs” are part of it, but as I list everything that seems not to work, why not that? Chances are that those obvious glitches have already been reported, just like that thing with light galleries, which is solved (I guess) by implementing a hoplite formation button just like latest DeI versions, but I have no way to know for sure, so…here I post

And about 6, when you read something but experiment the total opposite of what is intended, I call it a bug Garrisoned troops in general are made to impact negatively your public order, unless using the submod to revert that effect back to be vanilla like.

Sorry for double-posting, didn't see your reply Ygraine.

Thanks for your answer friend, but you didn't have to reply to it ; I trust you to handle your mod as you see fit with the info one might provide you.

1/ A shame, as it makes taking "Sea cities" really easy. But don't see what else could be done.

6/ Sorry about that. I did see an immediate positive effect when docking, which is what tricked me. Shall pay more attention.

7/ Actually, right before switching to your mod, I was trying to implement levy phalangitai for Bactria (but you beat me to it ) and adding to their roster a few more pikes. So if you swear to me that it is easy, I could volunteer to help u with that task! Jean-Louis Le Gueux does not ask how many, but where they are!

8/ Yes, I can recruit very many. What simply struck me is that those hoplites must be the best of the game, while hailing from Mesopotamia and outperforming those from Greece. But then again, I'm not that good at History.

10/ ...Shameful display...

Thanks for the other helpful info
    I might remove the hoplite formation of that Akkadian unit as I'm not sure they actually used it. It just made sense that the Seleucids might have trained local militias/levies in some hoplite-esque tactics. *shrug*

As for adding new units or switching them in the unlock chains, some are very simple - others take tons of time. For example it's easy to move a unit to barracks, but moving one from barracks to city/town-chains requires a lot of entries (for each town/city tier - for each type of town. ie. wine town, olive town etc)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteEagle View Post
    Hello, two quick questions, please.
    when are you going to update?
    if I want to play your mod, how do I get 1.2.2g?
    Hi. As soon as version 1.2.3 of DeI is released we can finally start finalizing the update. Up until now every single new version has meant a lot of extra unnecessary compatibility work on our part. 1.2.3 finally being a stable version means that we can finally release DV in a stable version too - no more major updates messing up like 30 tables... It also means that I can finally start adding all those new things I've had on my "to-do" for ages.

1.2.2g might be available in the DeI download thread, further down in version history... Not quite sure if they still keep old versions available or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolen View Post
    too bad it doesn't work anymore.

looking forward to an update

Thank you. I'm also looking forward to releasing a stable update once and for all.

As for adding new units or switching them in the unlock chains, some are very simple - others take tons of time. For example it's easy to move a unit to barracks, but moving one from barracks to city/town-chains requires a lot of entries (for each town/city tier - for each type of town. ie. wine town, olive town etc)

Yeah, only ever fiddled with barrack units as far as I remember, so I don’t know much about those units from cities. Still, if need some help for anything, I’ve got couple of weeks free, so don’t hesitate to call on me. I’d like to repay the fun time I had with the mod

A small preview of some of the major campaign changes for the post 1.2.3 update for DV:

• Starting with the 1.2.3 release we will discontinue 24 TPY and move over to 12 TPY for all campaigns. I took this decision after playing several very long campaigns in my internal testing and I've never even reached 250 BC before winning the game. There will be no 4 TPY option at release, but perhaps later if enough people request it.

• By earlier popular demand I've moved away from the AI spamming tons of stacks and started to remake the economy slightly. Troops will cost more to recruit and maintain, but at the same time I've buffed resource value and resource production. This means that more battles will rely on levies both early on in campaigns and in general when you're low on income - but it also gives resources a better strategic value. Maintaining decent relations with other kingdoms is also more important now since trade now nets you higher tariffs than before. You can basically build your economy around trading now due to the changes I made to the resource city/town-chain versions which means that focusing primarily on local commerce isn't necessarily the meta any more (depends on how many trading partners you have access to and what kind of regions you own). This in turn makes raiding trade-routes more valuable. In this aspect the sea raiding stance received a moderate buff to make it worthwhile, and land raiding received buffs too, more so for barbarians/nomads.

• We are working on completely new general/admiral/governor trees for the post 1.2.3 release which has inspiration from both the DeI-trees and Legendary Commanders. There will be seven base trees with specializations in different fields, each tree will have six skills instead of four, and there will be five ultimate skills at the bottom that you can only unlock at level 7-8 and if you have the two prequisite trees it requires. This means you have to plan your skills in advance more so than before and that losing a general/admiral/governor this good will be a major blow to you (considering how much time/effort it takes to get to that level in DV). One example of one of the new trees is focused on the generals combat prowess among other things and you'll be able to make your general and her/his bodyguard really strong (increase bodyguard size etc).

• There's a lot more stuff going to be included and the updates patchnotes are almost the same size as all previous patchnotes together

@Jean-Louis Le Gueux
    Thank you for the offer, will keep it in mind!

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Seems relly good Ygraine!
    Hope you're having a nice time during all this work

Ygraine. Seems like you have invested a lot of work and time. Congrats.

Could someone post a download link to Dei 1.2.2g??