Thread: GPU upgrade

simplemind07's Avatar Tiro

Default GPU upgrade

Hey all, I 'm thinking of upgrading my 770 for a 1060 or 1070 for future proof. I mostly play at 1080p and would like a constant 60ish fps. Any ideas?

Specs are:
    i5 2500k 3.8oc
    12g ram
    windows 10 64bit
    Love is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it but only YOU can feel the warmth.
    WE have no limit. Saying so is just a pathetic excuse of giving up!

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: GPU upgrade

A GTX 1060 would be fine for 1080P @ 60Hz, but obviously a GTX 1070 would serve you better in the long term for future proofing or even if you were gunning for 1080P @ 144Hz. The GTX 1070 is roughly 40% faster in synthetic benchmarks, but it costs nearly 100% more, so I couldn't really recommend it for simple 60fps gaming at 1080P unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

Default Re: GPU upgrade

You'd definitely get the most bang/buck with a GPU upgrade but that CPU is right on the cusp of being irrelevant. Still a great CPU but it's getting on in years when it comes to gaming.

I tend to like Nvidia better but for 1080p and no planned upgrade to 1440p for a couple of years or more, then the $199 4gb 480 is a great idea. The 1060 is slightly behind, IMO.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html

The 1070 futureproofing thing is all well and good but the upcoming generations of GPUs are going to be equally as game changing as Pascal was. People who got in early on that and spent $400+ are going to be the same people clamoring for the next gen. That's enthusiast level with throwaway money. Or credit card debt.
    Last edited by mrmouth; October 30, 2016 at 06:14 PM.
    The fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity