Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: North & South: American Civil War 2.0 New Maps, New Units, Bug Fixes, and MORE!!!!

Default Re: North & South: American Civil War 2.0 New Maps, New Units, Bug Fixes, and MORE!!!!

tks, but I mean ver 2.0

Default Re: North & South: American Civil War 2.0 New Maps, New Units, Bug Fixes, and MORE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ecompany View Post
    Wow! Very nice. May I suggest a battle from the Vicksburg Campaign? I think they're very over looked, especially the battle of Champion Hill, the largest of the 5. A very important decisive engagement prior to the siege itself. Awesome work Slyk I'm looking forward to seeing these.
    And... here you go... in the process of doing all the artwork and assets for this map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161223133941_1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	489.4 KB 
ID:	342336
    ACW 2.6 - American Civil War Released:

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...ar-June-2-2019

This looks amazing! I have the 1.0 one of this and now a 2.0 yes !!!! I'm soo happy !!

Slyk, Hello there my name is Rhett Vito first I wanna just say thank you for the amazing 1.0 mod. I would like to now give you an overall look at the pros and cons in my point of view.

Pro's
    #1 Perfect sound quality for the musket volleys ---More variations would be amazing if you could add that in 2.0 The sound for me made this mod amazing! Here are few video examples of a very intense civil war battle reenactment
    Video #1 Musket volleys and cannon explosion
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irtymFrvrGo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLt7JrbRcs8

Video #2 Overall the sound of artillery in 1.0 was very good it was only missing just a sound like this watch this video and you will see what I mean. Civil War Artillery, Live Explosive Shell Fire
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL1DkrYL70s

Video # 3
    Battlefield Ambiance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb-GYnptfIM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mGAesLYlF8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aU029l6SOk
    As I have said before the sound in 1.0 was very good but was lacking just a little. Something to the effect of this video would be nice if I were to suggest a few it would be the fallowing:
    More sounds from the soldiers in detail that would be longer screams from the wounded down to the rebel yell or the union huzzah an extra to that would be some stuff from the men in the ranks '' Very Muffled '' Saying stuff like ''fix that line ''
    Longer death animations if possible I have always wanted to see the wounded represented in a civil war mod.

Pro #2 Accurate maps I love the detail that you put into the maps some of the best I have seen in a total war game. The only map that did not fit right was the sunken road units were shooting more at the hill, not the units attacking them thus forth the union would not take massive deaths like they did in real life.

Pro #3 Units Some of the most accurate civil war units ever displayed in an NTW mod. Yet I would really like to see more knapsacks and bedrolls being worn by both union and confederate units as well more uniform variation would be much appreciated. If you would need any help historical information on units I would be obliged to help to the best of my ability
    '' Many first-hand accounts told of the havoc caused by the extremely humid weather during the day and the coolness that the night provided. By nightfall, a combination of the march itself, weather conditions, and the weight of the knapsack on the soldier's back caused many soldiers to collapse, sleeping where they fell. Some accounts from soldiers serving in the First, Second and Sixth Corps stated that their generals never issued light marching orders.'' light marching orders= no knapsack or bedroll.

Con's

#1 Harder AI would be one I would like to attack an AI without them all running away before I can reach their line of battle

#2 The ability to have a unit fix and unfix bayonet It would be nice to have.This would be where the unit can still shoot after they fix the bayonet instead of being locked into hand-to-hand.

Overall rate of 8.5/10

In closing, I would like to say thank you again if you have read this far in my post I look forward to seeing a reply from you.

Rhett, thank you for the comments and compliments!! I'll try to address your suggestions as best I can based on what I know at this point, what can be done, and what I need help with.

Sounds: I agree, the guys who started this project did a great job on the sound package. I took this over when the basics like models, textures, and sounds were in place. The maps are all mine except the original Antietam by Primergy. That map is more a Division level one as it covers the entire battlefield area. Back to sounds, I would love to get the 'yells' and 'huzzahs' into the game, more clearly and more appropriately. However, finding quality samples is tough, so please offer up anything you find to be clear and usable and I will look at adding them. There are several inappropriate base-game sounds that are triggered and I'm working to fix or remove them.

Maps: Thanks for the compliments. I think the four Gettysburg maps, Antietam's Cornfield and Bloody Lane are the best of all of them. Shiloh is pretty good looking as well. As I am looking at having nearly if not more than 40 total maps, it is hard to diversify them so that they are all not the same yet keep them in a consistent design spec. One of the eye candy items is fencing. We have found that to do some of the other things we want to implement, the number of fences may be an issue. So I'm not currently adding them in the sense I had before. Existing fences are 'buildings', in the near_building file. I couldn't manage to get splines to work so this was an alternative, although tedious method but I have developed tools to make it rather fast, in most cases. We are going back to look at splines again and if we can do that we will....although HELP here would be great. So, at the moment, most of my mapping focus is on creating the new ones as true to accuracy as I can, based on what I can find for source material via maps or reading accounts.

Animations: tough one. At this point, no new ones because I don't do that kind of work. However, if I can edit existing animations and scripts, I can look at them. I have done some very very minor tweaking there by creating some new animation sets for Cavalry with repeating rifles. I agree, more would be better/diversity is good.

Uniforms and gear: The components are there to add the packs and rolls and are currently randomized but could be weighted heavier to have them show more often. As for the Union, from what I read, generally the men did not carry their gear into battle later in the war. They either dropped it when the shooting started or it was carried in their Regimental wagon(s). The support system was far better for the Union men. The CSA men usually had to carry all they wanted. I have read dozens of accounts and biographies where this seems the theme over and over again. I suppose it depends on the campaign and terrain and weather and and and

AI: You won't believe what we are working on..... But.... as is... The MP AI via the 'scenarios' is not scripted and can't be as far as we see it so far. We might be able to do some AI_hint stuff though, but as it is, they will always fall back to regroup. So, you must always defend in the scenarios. For SP 'historical' battles like NTW vanilla, ummmm.... think of randomized plans of attack for the AI, either side... Historical attack plan, plus variants and variables for times of reinforcements arriving, etc. LOTS of potential here for an entirely new game. I am continually working tweaking the AI tables like morale, rules, etc. to do what we can. Limiting visibility ranges has done wonders already.

MORE later.......

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Slyk View Post
    Rhett, thank you for the comments and compliments!! I'll try to address your suggestions as best I can based on what I know at this point, what can be done, and what I need help with.

Sounds: I agree, the guys who started this project did a great job on the sound package. I took this over when the basics like models, textures, and sounds were in place. The maps are all mine except the original Antietam by Primergy. That map is more a Division level one as it covers the entire battlefield area. Back to sounds, I would love to get the 'yells' and 'huzzahs' into the game, more clearly and more appropriately. However, finding quality samples is tough, so please offer up anything you find to be clear and usable and I will look at adding them. There are several inappropriate base-game sounds that are triggered and I'm working to fix or remove them.

Maps: Thanks for the compliments. I think the four Gettysburg maps, Antietam's Cornfield and Bloody Lane are the best of all of them. Shiloh is pretty good looking as well. As I am looking at having nearly if not more than 40 total maps, it is hard to diversify them so that they are all not the same yet keep them in a consistent design spec. One of the eye candy items is fencing. We have found that to do some of the other things we want to implement, the number of fences may be an issue. So I'm not currently adding them in the sense I had before. Existing fences are 'buildings', in the near_building file. I couldn't manage to get splines to work so this was an alternative, although tedious method but I have developed tools to make it rather fast, in most cases. We are going back to look at splines again and if we can do that we will....although HELP here would be great. So, at the moment, most of my mapping focus is on creating the new ones as true to accuracy as I can, based on what I can find for source material via maps or reading accounts.

Animations: tough one. At this point, no new ones because I don't do that kind of work. However, if I can edit existing animations and scripts, I can look at them. I have done some very very minor tweaking there by creating some new animation sets for Cavalry with repeating rifles. I agree, more would be better/diversity is good.

Uniforms and gear: The components are there to add the packs and rolls and are currently randomized but could be weighted heavier to have them show more often. As for the Union, from what I read, generally the men did not carry their gear into battle later in the war. They either dropped it when the shooting started or it was carried in their Regimental wagon(s). The support system was far better for the Union men. The CSA men usually had to carry all they wanted. I have read dozens of accounts and biographies where this seems the theme over and over again. I suppose it depends on the campaign and terrain and weather and and and

AI: You won't believe what we are working on..... But.... as is... The MP AI via the 'scenarios' is not scripted and can't be as far as we see it so far. We might be able to do some AI_hint stuff though, but as it is, they will always fall back to regroup. So, you must always defend in the scenarios. For SP 'historical' battles like NTW vanilla, ummmm.... think of randomized plans of attack for the AI, either side... Historical attack plan, plus variants and variables for times of reinforcements arriving, etc. LOTS of potential here for an entirely new game. I am continually working tweaking the AI tables like morale, rules, etc. to do what we can. Limiting visibility ranges has done wonders already.

MORE later.......

Thanks again!

Thanks for the speedy reply I do have to say it looks like 2.0 is really going to be amazing in the way that you're making it go. Keep it up I will try to find a few yells and very clear sounds for you if I have to I'll try to get my friend edit the sounds into files.

''Uniforms and gear: The components are there to add the packs and rolls and are currently randomized but could be weighted heavier to have them show more often. As for the Union, from what I read, generally, the men did not carry their gear into battle later in the war. They either dropped it when the shooting started or it was carried in their Regimental wagon(s). The support system was far better for the Union men. The CSA men usually had to carry all they wanted. I have read dozens of accounts and biographies where this seems the theme over and over again. I suppose it depends on the campaign and terrain and weather ''

As for this, I'm 50/50 , for the most part, the men would keep their knapsack or bedroll.I have also myself read about it in many accounts in the same way that you're saying .Yes it does most likely depend on the battle but it would not be a hole core or brigade dropping packs or bedrolls usually from what I have read it was a lot more from the Cols of regiments.
    Here are 2 different sides of this from original accounts of the men.

Example one on dropping packs
    thirty-eight miles to reinforce troops near the Ferry, whose
    garrison was captured the next day.
    From here we forded the Shenandoah and 16 September
    we crossed the Potomac near Shepherdstown. At
    night Lee's army was drawn up in the line of battle in front of Sharpsburg. On the following morning, Ransom's Brigade was placed on the extreme right. The battle opened from
    center to left of Lee's line, soon Ransom's Brigade was trans- formed in double quick to the left. Here we were ordered to lay off our knapsacks, which we never saw again.

Example two on keeping packs

'' Many first-hand accounts told of the havoc caused by the extremely humid weather during the day and the coolness that the night provided. By nightfall, a combination of the march itself, weather conditions, and the weight of the knapsack on the soldier's back caused many soldiers to collapse, sleeping where they fell. Some accounts from soldiers serving in the First, Second and Sixth Corps stated that their generals never issued light marching orders.'' light marching orders= no knapsack or bedroll.

Here are some very good quoted about the sound and look of battle I think you will like to read this

“These volleys of musketry we were approaching sounded in the distance like the rapid pouring of shot upon a tin pan, or the tearing of heavy canvas, with slight pauses interspersed with single shots, or desultory shooting.”
    Frederick L. Hitchcock of the 132 PA describes the approach to the battlefield

“The hottest place I ever saw on this earth or want to see hereafter. There were shot, shells, and Minie balls sweeping the face of the earth; legs, arms, and other parts of human bodies were flying in the air like straw in a whirlwind. The dogs of war were loose, and ‘havoc’ was their cry
    One of Hood’s 4th Texans describing their attacks through the Cornfield.

“Approach the top of the hill, cautiously, and lying down, we pour into each other one continuous shower of leaden hail for four long mortal hours. The whole air resounds with the din of arms. Musket, rifle, cannon and shell pour forth an avalanche of lead and iron. Our men are protected by about 6 or 8 inches of wear of the road, but that is great protection; they fire cautiously, and are apparently as cool as if shooting at squirrels, taking sure aim every fire. The protection, however, is not sufficient. The air is full of lead, and many are shot as they are aiming at the enemy, and the groans of the wounded are heard amid the roar of the musketry.”

On the 17th September, the Battle of Sharpsburg, as it is known in Southern history, was fought. Col.
    D.K. McRae of the 5th N.C. was in command of the brigade. The division of D.H. Hill and Longstreet
    bravely held the center and the right in this action. The 23rd Regiment here was able to muster but few
    men, comparatively, many members of the regiment being barefooted and absolutely unable to keep up
    with the rapid march over the rough and rocky roads. For several days, the ration supply for the boys
    had been roasting ears, hardly ground at that .

"The Slaughter pen"
    "This day none will forget, that participated in the fight. It was truly awful how fast, how very fast, did our poor boys fall by our sides - almost as fast as the leaves that fell as cannon and musket balls hit them, as they flew on their deadly errand. You could see one with his head shot off, others cut in two, then one with his brain oozing out, one with his leg off, others shot through the heart. Then you would hear some poor friend or foe crying for water, or for "God's sake"to kill him. You would see some of your comrades, shot through the leg, lying between the lines, asking his friends to take him out, but no one could get to his relief, and you would have to leave him there, perhaps to die, or, at best, to become a prisoner."
    A Quote From The Diary of a Tar Heel Confederate soldier.. As they fought on Culps hill.
    Leon, Louis

The Gore of War '''
    Brigadier General Edward H. Ripley was standing behind an artilleryman during the battle for fort Harrison. Suddenly, he was "dashed in the face with a hot steaming mess of red hot something horrible," that covered his eyes and filled his nose and mouth. He would later go on to mention that while a staff officer handed him a towel and cleaned his face and eyes out, he also continued to open up his blouse, and threw out a mass of brains, skull, hair, and blood. When he looked down he found the headless trunk of the gunner laying between his feet, with blood still gurgling out.

It was what one young man from New York described as " walking into the center of an angry volcano, a Valley of Death." "As our regiment entered the fray and the shells began to tear limbs and heads in rapid succession, I heard the men pray frantically. One poor boy, whom I had never heard pray before muttered a short prayer aloud. " Oh God, Dear god" sadly it was no use as he was struck dead moments later." 155 years ago today this would be the scene as night fell over the town of Fredericksburg, Va. Wave after wave of Union assaults had failed to break Robert E Lees army which occupied perhaps the greatest position of it's existence that day on the heights behind the town.
    One Union general remarked " it is only murder now" as he watched brigade after brigade of Union men " melt like falling snow on the warm ground" assaulting across the fields behind town from the steeple of one of the churches visible in this painting. General Longstreet recalled, “From the moment of their appearance began the most fearful carnage; with our artillery from the front, right and rear, tearing through their ranks, the Federals pressing forward with almost invincible determination, maintaining their steady step and closing up their broken ranks. Thus resolutely they marched upon the stone fence, behind which quietly waited for the Confederate brigade of General Cobb.
    As they came within reach of this brigade a storm of lead was poured into their advancing columns, and they were swept from the field like chaff before the wind. A cloud of smoke shut out the scene for a moment and rising revealed the scattered fragments recoiling from their gallant but hopeless charge. The [Washington] artillery still plowed through their retreating ranks, searched out the places of concealment into which the retreating troops had plunged. …
    So the struggle went on. [Five times] the Federals formed, charged and were repulsed. A sixth time they charged and were driven back when night came to end the dreadful carnage and the Federals withdrew, leaving the battlefield literally heaped with the bodies of their dead." The northern lights appeared above the slaughter that night. To the men, it must have been a haunting reminder of the spirits of their comrades they had lost that day. Remember Fredericksburg today for it was at this moment 155 years ago that 12,000 brave men were falling dead or wounded, every single second for nearly 7 hours....

Some screenshots of the "Champion Hill" map, which I am glad was requested as it's a unique map in terrain and layouts. Normally I don't leave the floating flags turned 'on', but I have been using them lately to track unit morale/status as we tweak the various morale/fatigue/rules tables.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20161224201030_1.jpg   20161224201036_1.jpg   20161224201057_1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Slyk View Post
    Some screenshots of the "Champion Hill" map, which I am glad was requested as it's a unique map in terrain and layouts. Normally I don't leave the floating flags turned 'on', but I have been using them lately to track unit morale/status as we tweak the various morale/fatigue/rules tables.

This looks very cool! I'm so ready to see the Perryville Battlefield, by the way, Merry Christmas!

how long till it comes out

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Ulysses S. Grant View Post
    how long till it comes out
    When it is done. ;p Honestly, can't say, spring time I hope. Right now the map count is at 28 completed. Five+ planned with one nearly done.

The mulit-player units are essentially set and I'll be showing more of that soon.

The historical scenarios are on hold pending the work of my friend, who is attempting to build out a "Campaigns of..." similar to the stock game. From there, that means we have AI programmed to defend so that you as the player can now attack Cemetery Ridge or the Cornfield at Antietam, etc. As of now, we all know the AI is dumb and runs to the rear to make pretty lines if not the 'attacked' on the map. So.... Patience. This has the potential... IF we get into the LUA more as well, to be a nearly new game. And there are a few other major things we are looking at once the 'smaller' stuff mentioned is complete.

could we have a beta till the full thing comes out or something to hold us till its fully done

With things changing daily... odd bugs or missed x, y or z, it's hard to issue a beta. Content is expanding every day, essentially. Right now you basically get more maps and expanded multiplayer army units. Yes, good, but to roll out versions... I'll think about it. I appreciate the anxiety to get it.

ok cause i was just wondering we could get like a v2.0 open beta type thing or something

If I had more help with particular aspects of the mod, it would be ready at a much earlier date for both beta and final release.....

any vids we can watch on the mod like a preview of the units, maps, or something

Biarchus

any vids we can watch on the mod like a preview of the units, maps, or something
    Jeez, relax brother. When it's done it's done. Most of us are just as excited for the release, but cut him some slack. He's pretty much alone on this one.

If I wasn't such a moron when it comes to computer stuff I'd help him in a heartbeat.

I'm sure we'll all enjoy the final product when it's completed, and not a minute sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by ztrain909 View Post
    Jeez, relax brother. When it's done it's done. Most of us are just as excited for the release, but cut him some slack. He's pretty much alone on this one.

If I wasn't such a moron when it comes to computer stuff I'd help him in a heartbeat.

I'm sure we'll all enjoy the final product when it's completed, and not a minute sooner.
    ok one i just want to see the units and see the detail and 2 i want a trailer for it and 3 (this is out of topic but) i want a mod where you can control a solder ad fire the musket, cannon or charge with cav in first or thirdperson cause that would be epic to control your own soldier (or officer) and run around sniping AI that would be epic

and also i'm to excited for this update

Biarchus

ok one i just want , i want a trailer , i want a mod where
    You should change your name from Gen. Ulysses S. Grant to VERUCA SALT because that is who you remind me of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzr12gBrXA8
    Last edited by ztrain909; January 24, 2017 at 07:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ztrain909 View Post
    You should change your name from Gen. Ulysses S. Grant to VERUCA SALT because that is who you remind me of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzr12gBrXA8
    well if your gonna be that mean i guess i wont say sorry for overeacting