Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: North & South: American Civil War 2.0 New Maps, New Units, Bug Fixes, and MORE!!!!

Default Re: North & South: American Civil War 2.0 New Maps, New Units, Bug Fixes, and MORE!!!!

Owe you some screenshots, including the new Artillery....

Generals with their "Star" ratings... work in progress so no complaints

Some of the units and the Army/Corps/Factions we have fully set, you've seen these before in various states of work. I do think I may be adding one new 'faction' for each side and one or two special maps for them ? ? ? ? maybe...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170318095604_1.jpg   20170318095555_1.jpg   20170318095548_1.jpg   arty_ranged.jpg   20170318095640_1.jpg  

20170318095628_1.jpg   20170318095614_1.jpg  
    ACW 2.6 - American Civil War Released:

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...ar-June-2-2019

Default Re: North & South: American Civil War 2.0 New Maps, New Units, Bug Fixes, and MORE!!!!

Really looking forward to this. I've often wondered if some sort of hex based/digital board game campaign map would work for this. Battles are simpy played out in N&S, while the casualties there affect the campaign etc. Is that what you are going for?

Are we looking at a 3 month window or longer for the new version?

Keep up the great work!

will you guys fix the sound for gun fire and such cause every now and then it cuts out

Quote Originally Posted by Wolves In The Throne Room View Post
    Really looking forward to this. I've often wondered if some sort of hex based/digital board game campaign map would work for this. Battles are simpy played out in N&S, while the casualties there affect the campaign etc. Is that what you are going for?

Are we looking at a 3 month window or longer for the new version?

Keep up the great work!
    Ideally, a campaign as fully formed as standard NTW. "Ideally". But, we will see what can be done with the .lua and the components and most of all, TIME. I could easily release 38 maps today and all the other content and call it a big "win". However, it can be so much more with some time and possibly help.

Thanks for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Ulysses S. Grant View Post
    will you guys fix the sound for gun fire and such cause every now and then it cuts out
    I'm not sure what can be done there. It is on the list. More often than not, it is the cause..in my opinion, of system lockups/crashes. It will be looked at but no idea what can be done at this point. It is not at the top of the list atm.

ok just wondering cause its getting a bit annoying with it cutting out

Quote Originally Posted by Slyk View Post
    I'm not sure what can be done there. It is on the list. More often than not, it is the cause..in my opinion, of system lockups/crashes. It will be looked at but no idea what can be done at this point. It is not at the top of the list atm.
    Good to hear it's on the list. I also think the whistling/drumming by each unit is a bit excessive and I suspect this (because it is constant throughout the battle - and also kind of annoying ha) could be interfering with or causing the gunfire clipping. I've never modded sound, but it seems feasible.

I've just came back to this mod recently and still can't say enough about the work you guys have done with the unit names in the scenarios, impressive stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolves In The Throne Room View Post
    Good to hear it's on the list. I also think the whistling/drumming by each unit is a bit excessive and I suspect this (because it is constant throughout the battle - and also kind of annoying ha) could be interfering with or causing the gunfire clipping. I've never modded sound, but it seems feasible.

I've just came back to this mod recently and still can't say enough about the work you guys have done with the unit names in the scenarios, impressive stuff.
    Agreed

will you add more maps or after the last 2 your done with Maps (For Now)

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Ulysses S. Grant View Post
    will you add more maps or after the last 2 your done with Maps (For Now)
    hahaha well.... with 38 completed... I think that is a huge package and for one guy, I think it is probably a record ;p

But, I do have a couple more in mind and I would like to have at least 40. There are five or six more battles that I would like to make maps for, but overall it is often based on the play value of the terrain and most of all, the historical resources available to make a quality/accurate map.

At some point I have to switch over to putting together the historical scenarios and making the data tables and the battle.xml files is a HUGE effort. I have enough of the data tables in preliminary form for all of the Seven Days battles, Cedar Mountain, Champion Hill and Perryville. I need to finish up the OOB/tables for Fredericksburg as well. There are literally hundreds, if not 1,000+ hours of work that could be done on this, to make it a FULL and exceptional mod... but this takes time and budgeting. So, yes, I am trying to keep adding more maps and units and content but that takes time that isn't spent on other areas. Right now I am trying to clean up little to-do items and retouching maps. Then I will be pushing into other areas and focusing on those.

I really appreciate your interest! Keep asking away.

Some screenshots from a test battle on "South Mountain: Crampton's Gap"....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170318201632_1.jpg   20170318201643_1.jpg   20170318201706_1.jpg   20170318201715_1.jpg   20170319125806_1.jpg  

20170319125852_1.jpg   20170319130614_1.jpg   20170319130619_1.jpg  

Every few days I will post up screenshots of the Army build screens, by faction and their units. To start off, this is the Confederate "First Manassas" Army.

I've added each unit to the Army, including all of the artillery units so that you can see each gun in "2-gun Section" and in "4-gun Battery".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170323174127_1.jpg   20170323174138_1.jpg   20170323174136_1.jpg   20170323174133_1.jpg   20170323174129_1.jpg  

20170323174301_1.jpg   20170323174124_1.jpg   20170323174115_1.jpg  

Are you using the Shogun 2 Map Editor T'ed for generating your maps Slyk or are you using a different tool. I have been trying to teach myself T'ed and Terry (Warhammer) Map Editor Tools and I was wondering if I could get myself some proficiency in using these items sufficient to copy an Ordinance Survey Map (thats who make the Maps in the UK not sure about the US) maybe some time in the future I might be able to add something towards your efforts Slyk, because I really do sympathise when people are asking you "when are you doing this" or "whens this going to be ready" or "why havn't you done that" or "why isnt this working, fix it", it really pisses me off!.
    As you keep emphasising, you are working alone, you are asking for help and I dont see many offering. I cant offer to help myself because I dont know the first thing about programming, but if I did, I would be in there. Whilst people are obviously eager to learn of new arrivals into your Mod (God knows how eager for the completion of this Mod I am myself), perhaps a little more patience and understanding that you too have a life besides programming, that you are doing this for no financial rewards (I personally think you should be in a MOD of this magnitude) and they should be grateful for that alone.

i saw the pics of the Infantry and doing the Reg Name, Brigade, and Army showing that is awesome Best Mod 2017

Hinkel's Avatar Commander in Chief

I just saw this now!

If you need help with promotion Slyk, just ask! I have plenty of youtubers ready
    --------------------------- The American Civil War for Total War ------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by MARSHAL BLUCHER View Post
    Are you using the Shogun 2 Map Editor T'ed for generating your maps Slyk or are you using a different tool......
    HA! Fun question. I am using:
    - PaintShop Pro v5.0... 1998 era to create ALL of the art. I do the height maps and all the other layers in PSP.
    - Lordz Tools for the height map convertor to .raw and then to tile the maps.
    - Lordz Tools: trees... I do the layout/placement in PSP using a fill pattern for the forests and a separate one for orchards. Then use the tool to import the images and plot the trees. Far trees are the same but more complex process that then involves Excel.
    - Lordz Tools: buildings import and for stumps, rocks, etc. I also use Excel for some of that work to plot and rotate them then import in the tool.
    - PhotoShop 7: I create the ground_type_map_0 in PSP then save it, then open in PS7 to convert it to a proper tga format as PSP can't.
    - Excel is the single most powerful tool. Period. LOTS of stuff from dbase work with units to tree and building plotting etc.
    - Pack File Manager: an older version that I use, as most guys would.
    Lots of windows of each at times.

I get a lot of my source maps from the U.S. Library of Congress and then loosely use the civilwar.org site for general mapping reference...but I don't trust their stuff over actual survey maps like the Gettysburg, Antietam, and other high quality maps I have found on LoC.gov. It's a process. A long one, but depending on the map, I can crank one out in 10-20 hours IF the height map painting is rather basic. It really varies but there are 40+ hours in any one map, end to end.

I don't think most people realize the time involved, and that's ok. The worst thing is the poor support CA offered in documentation and tools. But, we manage. Thanks for the commentary and encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by Hinkel View Post
    I just saw this now!

If you need help with promotion Slyk, just ask! I have plenty of youtubers ready
    FINALLY!!!!! lol Good to see you show up! I saw you active in Apollo's threads on youtube. I hated going over there, but he's got a huge following and does a great job with the videos. I appreciate your input and you might find your way to an alpha/beta package if you ask Being an old original creator, it's the least I can do but you have to promise to pimp the crap out of it!!!! Please.

And, Hinkle, if you have any way to connect with Apollo directly, tell him to find me. I would like to get this in his hands OR yours OR a reliable and trustworthy person to help with some promo videos etc. I would like to look at doing short videos on various aspects of the mod... units, maps, features, logic, etc.

Anyway, THANKS for stopping in. Let me know if you have any ideas!

GRANT: Thanks! I do hope this makes Mod of the Year for 2017. Gotta get stuff done, first!

Here are the shots of the Union Army for the "First Manassas" units. Note that there are 2, 4 and some 6 gun batteries for the Union, depending on gun types. I can't show them all in the army's 20 slots but 6-gun batteries are available for Napoleon, 3-inch and 10-pound Parrott units. The 20-pound Parrott is only available in 2-gun sections and limited to 2 units of that type.

I apologize for the images sizes... I just upgraded to a 2560x1440 monitor this weekend. The game scales well and does play full-screen while the menus are in the picture-box format.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170325183755_1.jpg   20170325183753_1.jpg   20170325183750_1.jpg   20170325183749_1.jpg   20170325183744_1.jpg  

and six more of the First Manassas army units since you can only add 10 per post...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170325183954_1.jpg   20170325183756_1.jpg   20170325183805_1.jpg   20170325183803_1.jpg   20170325183801_1.jpg  

20170325183759_1.jpg  

and six more of the First Manassas army units since you can only add 10 per post... See the first page of this thread for updated "Army/faction build screenshots", as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Union_Manassas_large.jpg   CSA_Manassas_large.jpg   20170325183756_1.jpg   20170325183755_1.jpg   20170325183753_1.jpg  

20170325183750_1.jpg   20170325183749_1.jpg   20170325183744_1.jpg