Thread: Re-eanbling Population growth in CoW 1.6

Default Re-eanbling Population growth in CoW 1.6

Hey there,

how can i re-enable the popultion growth in CoW 1.6, so i can grow the cities etc again, like it was in 1.5.1 (maybe not so fast as in 1.5.1, but better too much growth instead of none :p) i already figured out, that ive to somehow do it in one of the descr_strat files, but i am by no means an experienced programmer, si id like to ask one of you, if you could help me out there

I hope someone can help me,
    Dirnhofer

P.S. shoutout to you guys in the forums, and the mod creators, you're awesome!

Default Re: Re-eanbling Population growth in CoW 1.6

The main file you're looking for is descr_settlement_mechanics.xml

Thanks a lot, do you also know what to change in order to re establish it? ^

*Bump* I've also been wondering that. The file doesn't seem to contain anything that describes population growth, but not all of the names and acronyms are transparent, so it may be hiding somewhere. Would transferring over the descr_settlement_mechanics.xml from another mod or another version of this mod work?

Well, there isn't one single value to govern pop. growth, if I am not mistaken. A few things have to be changed. There is a nice guide to on TWC, that contains enough information to do that: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt..._mechanics-xml
    I would not recommend importing descr_settlement_mechanics.xml from, quite a lot can go wrong.
    Also, do not forget, that if you want to change the file, you have to make a change in the configuration.cfg for the mod. I quote from in previous thread on that ( http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...g-new-campaign )
    Go to mods configuration.cfg and delete these lines
    ## ensure game data files used in previous save match current campaign data files.
    # validate_data = true
    ## prevent game to load if savegame or data validations fail
    # allow_validation_failures = false
    They are for hotseat games and stop save games loading once you've changed something that would normally show immediately like edu, edb etc.
    As long as your not playing hotseat you don't need them.

*new player here* why was pop growth disabled in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Marijuana_Merlin View Post
    *new player here* why was pop growth disabled in the first place?
    Logic and lore. Lore: In WH world some cities thousand years old are of fundamental importance for the past and future events and some outlying villages don't matter at all, so these villages becoming a new Altdorf is something out of place. Logic: the game last for a few decades top, not time enough for the cities and villages to multiply his population. I'm not saying I like the new mechanics, I'm saying I'm understand the reasoning behind.

Hey there,

I've now edited descr_settlemet_mechanics, and population growth is now working.
    However, two elements of growth aren't working yet: the bonuses given by SPF_FARMS_BUILT and also SPF_BUILDINGS.
    The bonuses given by SPF_BUILDINGS_FUN are somehow working.
    I've chosen some adjustments for for these two elements at which they should work, but they aren't even shown in the settlement infoscroll in the campaign.
    My next step was to check out the export_descr_buildings script, but it contained no fault.
    Previous modifications I've done on that script are perfectly working in the campaign.
    Do I need to modify anything else to solve this matter?
    Or could onyone send me his working adjustments on these two elements?

I'd appreciate any help, thank you very much

My problem is solved, I do not require help anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by DerChronist View Post
    My problem is solved, I do not require help anymore.
    Would you be so kind to share your changed files ? I wasn't able to do it myself.

Kind regards

Hello Nex1990,

surely I will help you.

Important notice : Whenever you will edit a file in your mods folder, use Notepad++, and not the normal Editor, otherwise your game will crash.
    Also ensure that you have made a copy of the original versions of all the files you w

I am working on a submod for RodG 1.6 with an improved growth mechanic, but at the moment, I am only progressing slowly.

That's why I will give you a guide on how to do it yourself, and no files since my ones aren't perfectly balanced :

Step 1 : Open your mod folder (It should be located in (C:\Program Files (x86)\SEGA\Medieval II Total War\mods\RodG16), unless you use steam or you have shocen a different direction for your game)

Step 2 : Open the data folder in the mod folder

Step 3 : Search for the following file : descr_settlement_mechanics (It has an .xml format, but you can use notepad++ without any issues to edit it)

Step 4 : Open this file.
    What it does at it's current configuration is to multiply all parameters influencing growth with 0, so that they won't appear in the campaign.
    In order to remove this effect, you will have to edit this file. Therefore you have to use the guide mentionned above by MatousL :
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt..._mechanics-xml

Here's an example of my files :
    Code:
    </factor>
          <factor name="SPF_BUILDINGS">
             <pip_modifier value="1.0"/>
             <pip_min value="0"/>
             <pip_max value="16"/>
    What all these values do is explained in the guide above. You have to change the pip_modifier and the pip_max value to a number higher than 0, and the parameter will appear in your campaign.

Save your file, if you have done so for all SPF_ ... parameters (You don't need to edit the SOF_ ... and SIF_ ... parameters)

Step 5 : Open the file export_descr_buildings within the data folder. This step is only to solve the problem I described above.

Search for every line containing this text :

;population_growth_bonus bonus x

Remove the semicolons from all these lines, and leave the rest of the line as it is!
    The semicolon tells the game not to read this line any further, that is why it has to be deleted.

Save the file, if you encounter no line with a semicolon and the term population_growth_bonus behind it.
    Another example :
    Code:
    farms city requires factions { england, russia, southern_european, normans, timurids, } and hidden_resource light
            {
                capability
                {
                    farming_level 10 requires factions  { england, russia, southern_european, normans, timurids, }   and event_counter very_good_harvest 1 and event_counter harvest 1 and resource grain
                    farming_level 8 requires factions { england, russia, southern_european, normans, timurids, }   and event_counter good_harvest 1 and event_counter harvest 1 and resource grain
                    farming_level 6 requires factions { england, russia, southern_european, normans, timurids, }   and event_counter normal_harvest 1 and event_counter harvest 1 and resource grain
                    farming_level 4 requires factions { england, russia, southern_european, normans, timurids, }   and event_counter bad_harvest 1 and event_counter harvest 1  and resource grain
                    farming_level 8 requires factions  { england, russia, southern_european, normans, timurids, }   and event_counter very_good_harvest 1 and event_counter harvest 1
                    farming_level 6 requires factions { england, russia, southern_european, normans, timurids, }   and event_counter good_harvest 1 and event_counter harvest 1
                    farming_level 4 requires factions { england, russia, southern_european, normans, timurids, }   and event_counter normal_harvest 1 and event_counter harvest 1
                    farming_level 2 requires factions { england, russia, southern_european, normans, timurids, }   and event_counter bad_harvest 1 and event_counter harvest 1
                    farming_level 0 requires factions { england, russia, southern_european, normans, timurids, }   and event_counter very_bad_harvest 1 and event_counter harvest 1
                    trade_base_income_bonus bonus 1 requires factions { england, russia, southern_european, normans, timurids, }
                    ;population_growth_bonus bonus 1 requires factions { england, russia, southern_european, normans, timurids, }
                    ;population_growth_bonus bonus -1 requires factions { england, russia, southern_european, }   and event_counter very_bad_harvest 1
                    ;population_growth_bonus bonus -1 requires factions { england, russia, southern_european, }   and event_counter bad_harvest 1

}
                material wooden
                construction  4
                cost  800 
                settlement_min village
                upgrades
                {
                    farms+1
                }
            }
    That's it! It took me three months to find out about the last step, bit I am glad to now share my knowledge and experience on it.

If you encounter any problems or don't understand my explanation just tell me.