Thread: IS Battle Overhaul Mod

Icon3 IS Battle Overhaul Mod

Updated V1.1

Hello fellow fans of Imperial Splendour,

im here to share my battle overhaul mod i´ve created for the latest Version of Imperial Splendour.

What the mod does:

Overall:
    - Reducing the movement speed of all land units.
    - Reducing the Accuracy of muskets, carbines and pistols.
    - Reducing the reload speed of almost all land units.
    - changing formation spacing of infantry and cavalry to a tighter spacing and removing most of the "mob" and "rabble" formations to get rid of units standing into one another.
    - Moral overhaul to make units more sensible to incoming fire, casualties and enemies nearby.
    - Fatigue tables changed, units get tired quicker than before.
    - Activating fort battles again.

Infantry:
    - muskets are less accurate and dont shoot as far as before.
    - the maximum range for line infantry is 90m and at that range each volley does around 3-4 kills on average. Sometimes a bit more and sometimes even none at all. At close range (25m or less) it will still do massive damage.
    - the velocity of musket balls was increased so that the second line doesnt take as much casualties (or even more) as the first line which is being shot at.
    - the reload rate and unit speed is balanced that you can charge the enemy without taking another volley but your units will be tired and less effective in melee once they reach the enemy.
    - Units will flee when they losing 10 - 20% of their strength in a short period of time but are likely to recover after a while. Usually they dont keep on fighting once they have have taken heavy losses (25% to 45% of their strength) even over a longer period of time.
    - Your units are very sensible to enemies on their flanks now. Even an easy charge at a weaker and reloading enemy unit is a risk when there are more units around.

Cavalry:
    - is now slower and also fatigues quicker. (heavy cavalry actually a lot quicker than light cav)
    - their "walking" speed has is increased though and theyre moving at a robust trot. Once they come into close range to the enemy (around 60 to 80m) they start running and then charging.

Artillery:
    - Arty batteries are reduced to 4 cannons to make it easier to place into your battle lines.
    - accuracy is generally worse than before except for cannons under a range of 250-300m which are pretty accurate then.
    - howitzers and mortars are a lot more inaccurate. But if they hit, they do massive damage to that unit if youre using explosive shells but thats pretty random.
    - Cannister shots have a higher spread and do fire less projectiles. They do damage similar to musket fire at the outer limits on their range but at medium range they can take out between 5 and 15 men with one shot. (Still not as much as before where they almost killed half a battalion with one salvo)
    - reloading speed decreased, especially for bigger calibers.

Graphics:
    - i took out the fog effect on most european battlefields because in my opinion they made the game look worse and colorless.
    - changed the skins of the UI elements back to Vanilla because I found it hard to distinguish whether I pressed a button or not.

Installation:
    - You need to have the current Version of Imperial Splendour 2.2.1bv2 installed with all Patches!

- Simply take the .pack files from the zip folder and go to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Empire Total War\data\IS and put them in there. Make a backup of the existing files if you dont like my mod and want to restore the normal setting!

Download here

file is called: "IS overwrite Packs.7z"

And of course thanks to the Imperial Splendour Team for this awesome mod which was the reason for me to start playing Empire again after all this years

Edit: Updated please Download again!
    Last edited by jackless; November 02, 2016 at 11:38 AM.

Default Re: IS Battle Overhaul Mod

For those who have already downloaded before the edit, please download the file again! I have accidentally uploaded the wrong version. Im sorry...

When you say latest version, do you mean 2.2.2b with the early campaign or the Rise of the Republic campaign?

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
    When you say latest version, do you mean 2.2.2b with the early campaign or the Rise of the Republic campaign?
    I mean 2.2.1bv2. The files can be downloaded from here:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/imperial-splendour/downloads

There is no such things as 2.2.1bv2
    There is a 2.2.1b. There are two patches: Patch 1 and Patch 2.

Most battle mechanic modders do not use "fatigue" We refer to it as cohesion. Also, the AI does a lousy job managing "fatigue" for running. The AI has a habit of running back and forth thus reducing their morale if you put it too high. As a result, most modders keep it low and allow for "cohesion" can be restored. Another advantage of using "cohesion" is that "walking" can restore cohesion. If think in terms of "fatigue" that is weird. Ths helps the AI more than the human player.

Since most people use this mod for SP campaign, your adjustment should keep the weakness of the AI in mind.

Spacing: A word warning about unit horizontal spacing. Certain firing drills will cause some units to spread before firing. Different unit classes will do this for different firing drill. This presents two problems. 1. the units will literally fire into the back of friendly unit. If you zoom in you will see this. Another problem is when the AI takes loses. It will stop, spread, then prepare to fire. However, if they take loses. They will go back o the tight formation, then spread, then prepare to fire. If you happen to hit with each round, then the AI will do this indefinitely until they route. It isn't something you can ignore.

Additional side note: IS is officially using 2 pieces for large and heavy cannons (10+), and 3 for small cannons (4-8pders). The exception is Russia and the Ottoman's which had larger batteries.

I had to update the mod once more! Im sorry I forgot to remove the old user.script and i tweaked some minor things. Please download again if you have already!
    Last edited by jackless; October 18, 2016 at 02:11 PM.

It would be better if you would create your own pack files so that no one have to back up any files.

The way Pikestance's mod plays with the launcher is really good, ideally you could set your mod up like his.

It already is. You only need "IS" in front, then add it to the user script file within the IS folder and it will work.

e.g "IS_jacklessBattlemod.pack"

In the user script, it should be listed first.
    Last edited by PikeStance; October 21, 2016 at 08:13 PM.

Neron25's Avatar Foederatus

"File was not found"

Quote Originally Posted by Neron25 View Post
    "File was not found"
    Fixed! Seems like the hosting site i used before deletes files after a few days
    Im using a new one now!

Neron25's Avatar Foederatus

Error again!

Download link is not working. The creator was asked to alter the game file so that it does not overwrite IS games files. When there is a working link and it is within the perimeters requested, the thread will be reopen.