Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: PTF: provincial titles’ fix for SSHIP 0.9.2 (included in 097+)

Default Re: PTF: provincial titles’ fix for SSHIP 0.9.2

Yes, but i think that was made for important settlements in the game,not for alls, like constantinople,jerusalem,toledo...
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,
    THE LESS YOU BLEED IN BATTLE!!!

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Guys,
    now another request: the titles for the British islands' PTs. What do you propose historically? Duke of ... in which cases? Preemptively: I'm against using to many of the local names, as you know, eg. concerning Poland and Hungary only Latin names were used. So I don't think very Scottish / Irish names should be used.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	britain.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	344421

And this is proposal for France, given my knowledge on the country and after balancing the numbers according to the rules
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	france.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	344423
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; April 05, 2017 at 05:20 AM.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Svir@c's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    Crown: Corona Hungariae
    PTs for the orthodox: Knyaz, as usual.
    PTs for the catholics - Comes, as it is.

Perhaps to be used sometime in future. Pozsony, Temesvar are not on the map, the other are offices. Actually, Hungary is now exceptional to have it's own version of office - Palatinus. But the offices are something different, not provincial titles or crowns.
    Ok, the names-titles you already have are good I'm just giving you another ones (and the same also) to get the picture or information how to used them!? Like, instead of Temesi ... you can used it for region which you have in game, already (can't be wrong by much and neither un-historical, to much)! And there I wrote about two regions Zagreb and Zadar (Zara) to (ingame), and with title Ban-similar of Vayvoda or Zsupan Choose wisely ...
    And Serbia, that's another tematic also, not by much, but similar like Croats, Hungary, Byzys ...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    -Come not between the Nazgúl and his prey!- J.R.R.Tolkien, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King

OK sship team, continue with the next step for PTF submod, this time are the descriptions and effects for differents settlements in the file of export_ancillaries.txt
    here the new descriptions and effects for the regions of CUMANIA AND GERMANY(HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE)

NOTE: Jurand, i reuploaded again the file of list of settlements for germany, because in my list were not Prague and Olomoc (coat of arms and ancillaries), i saw in your excel file for 67 provinces...

DOWNLOAD HERE:

REUPLOADEDGERMANY,SCANDINAVIANS,CUMANS.7z

DESCRIPTIONSPTs DESCRIPTIONS CUMANS AND GERMANY.7z
    Last edited by j.a.luna; April 05, 2017 at 07:04 PM.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

JoC, is "culture" related to the education such as universities for example? Same question about "authority"; does it include the administration factor?
    I'm asking because some settlements were famous for their univerty which provided clerk, lawers, etc who basically helped the royal administration who itself was able to centralized its authority over the country and even outside for some cases.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    JoC, is "culture" related to the education such as universities for example? Same question about "authority"; does it include the administration factor?
    I'm asking because some settlements were famous for their univerty which provided clerk, lawers, etc who basically helped the royal administration who itself was able to centralized its authority over the country and even outside for some cases.
    I understand your question in 2 ways.
    I. it's about education system: is education culture-related.
    Yes and no.
    There're 4 cultures. Pagans have a different system, not yet modded by me, working somehow, but I haven't analysed it. At some point I may have a go on it.
    3 other cultures have the same triggers. This was a difficult choice. For instance, I had a problem with castle library - accessible just for some factions, so I haven't included it. In future it's possible to differenciate between cultures, but there's a precondition: stabilization of the building chain (ie: declaration from the SSHIP team that the buildings will not be changed - otherwise the work would be wasted).
    However, the 3 cultures have different effects - as described here. So you may say that education is culture-differentiated.
    II.
    Should the traditions of education / administration a region / city taken into account in assigning the benefits for the PTs (provincional titles).
    Yes, they should. Eg. Paris - culture and authority.
    However, keep in mind that the PTs should probably be about whole provinces. So Montpellier, even with it's great university, wouldn't weight much in the province, I think.
    Furthermore: balancig, balancing. There should be PT typical for military leaders even if for each French province you'd think about particular features for governors - agriculture, culture.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; April 06, 2017 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by j.a.luna View Post
    here the new descriptions and effects for the regions of CUMANIA AND GERMANY(HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE
    Great, j.a.luna! Thank you, very helpful!
    Now you've got here the material for the East European provinces.
    With Scandinavia we have to wait for decision what to do with the alphabet issues.

East_Europe_provinces.zip
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Blog Entries

The problem I have with your example for France is how to define culture and authority. If you take Orleans for example, it was part of the royal domain. 2 kings were sacred in its cathedrale. It has an university (Law one if I remember correctly). So from my understanding, the title for Orleans should reflects these somehow.

Toulouse also had an university later than Orleans, but for medicine if I remember it correctly as well. So, in that case, that shouldn't have any influence on the title.

See my point
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

I absolutely see your point. And there're many simplifications, untrue things etc. But we just need to provide a feel for a player. So don't delve into the issues, just tell if there're major problems or the feel is bad or you've got different fees.
    Eg. I've assigned +Mining for Clermont. Maybe there're no mines in the Clermot region? Or maybe Reims is not associated with Authority? That would be a major mistake and I'd change it.

Somehow unrelated: Riga. If we take the approach to apply the names as there're in 1st half of the 12 century - as we do with Lubeck: Liubice or Koenigsberg: Twangste, or Nuernberg, then Riga should have a different name (probably Seaborg). However, from the beginning of 13 century it should be Riga indeed.

Blog Entries

I think for such cases as Riga, we just need to consider for how long during the game period, the settlement has each name and only keep the longest one.

Noted about the titles. Btw, many French titles have a different spelling. For instance, Duke title can be found written Duc or Dux. For Count, it can be Conte, Cuens or Quens. It depends how deep you want the immersion into the game

Also, for some regions, there's no specific names or titles. Orleans and Paris regions don't have a specific name as far as I could find so far. No title for Paris or Reims except Bishop. Even considering that many Bishops were nominated by the King instead by the Pope, I'm not sure you want to use it.

I think for such cases as Riga, we just need to consider for how long during the game period, the settlement has each name and only keep the longest one.
    Yes. I'd propose the following way forwards:
    - keep all the code names of the provinces and the settlements as they are now (changes of these names made mess with the provincial titels; besides - you need to sort out what the code names actually are, as in my PM...)
    - any changes for the names will be through the TEXT file, which is actually a mask put on the names. If there'd be a demand to change a name in High or Late era, then it'll be done through such a mask, not a code name.
    - let's gather the informations about names in different eras. I'll do it in this thread - entry 4. (I've just checked info about Sigtuna and I think it's right for the Early era, but for High and Late it should be Uppsala; or Lubeck: at the beginning Liubice, but High and Late - Lubeck).
    /note: names of the PT (provincial titles) will not be changed unless at some point somebody makes another version of EA file. However it makes any point of doing it before all the titles are done and all the provicne names are fixed, so we may think about it in 5 years time, perhaps)

INoted about the titles. Btw, many French titles have a different spelling. For instance, Duke title can be found written Duc or Dux. For Count, it can be Conte, Cuens or Quens. It depends how deep you want the immersion into the game
    Given the use of French by the English and probably by the Germanic nobles, I'd say: let's make it Duc and Conte (or anything like this).

Also, for some regions, there's no specific names or titles. Orleans and Paris regions don't have a specific name as far as I could find so far. No title for Paris or Reims except Bishop. Even considering that many Bishops were nominated by the King instead by the Pope, I'm not sure you want to use it.
    Yes, this is a well known problem from elsewhere on the map, eg. Hungary (Archbishop of Esztergom etc.) - actually, I think it's very rare when you've got 1:1 reflection of the real world in the game. The solution: create something resembling history. Ecclesiastical names will NOT be used, but you need to create something what a player may feel plausible (Comes X, in case of Hungary). So use your imagination

Blog Entries

Your stuff, your rules

But yes, that's also my idea. Settlements/regions' names should only be changed via the text file to avoid mistakes and confusion.

Not sure that our English and German fellows will like to use the old French for their respective titles

Noted for the titles. That confirms my original thought. I'll find a solution

Quote Originally Posted by Svir@c View Post
    So, I saw I read it! There's, really not much to add, you got it! Back then Hungarians ("high" borns-nobility) used Latin language mostly, court, writings etc... shikaka did the great jobb! A title is Corona Hungariae (Szent Korona or Holly Crown), don't know about short one but will look again for this one. Croats and Serbs have Župan (Ispán - Hungarian) in title, but there's also a Knez (Knyaz-Comes-Knyáz) in King reference, and Vojvoda, but came much latter.
    Svir@c,
    I wondered whether the provincial names in-game are right: Lower Hungary, Upper Hungary, Pannonian Plain.
    What do you think?

Blog Entries

Titles and provinces for France:

1. Roazhon
    (name in Briton)
    French name: Rennes
    Province: Bretaigne (Britany)
    Title: Duc (Duke)
    Description:

2. Angers
    Province: Anjou (should be correct but still checking)
    Title: Conte de Anjou (Count of Anjou)
    Description:

3. Rouen
    Province: Normandie (Normandy)
    Title: Duc de Normandie (Duke of Normandy)
    Description:

4. Poitiers
    Province: Poitou, possibly Poictou (to be confirmed)
    Title: Conte de Poitiers (Count of Poitiers)
    Description:

5. Bordeaux
    Province: Aquitaine (became Guyenne from 1229 AD)
    Title: Duc de Aquitaine (Duke of Aquitaine) or Duc de Guyenne (Duke of Guyenne) if that option is choosen.
    Description:

6. Toulouse
    Province: Languedoc (used from 1209 AD, before just called County of Toulouse)
    Title: Conte de Toulouse (Count of Toulouse)
    Description:

7. Clermont
    Province: Auvergne
    Title: Conte de Auvergne (Count of Auvergne)
    Description:

8. Arles
    Province: Provence Ocidental (Western Provence - not accurate but best guess for the game)
    Title: Conte de Arles (Count of Arles)
    Description:

9. Nizza (Italian name)
    French name: Nice
    Province: Provence Orďental (Eastern Provence - not accurate but best guess for the game)
    Title: Conte de Nice (Count of Nice)
    Description:
    Note: Originally an Italian Republic based on Genoese model.

10. Lyon
    Province: Albon Viennois (Viennese Albon)
    Title: Dauphin de Viennois (Viennese Dauphin, same as Count of Albon-Viennois)
    Description:

11.Orleans
    Province: Orleanais (subject to change)
    Title: Conte de Orleans (Count of Orleans)
    Description:
    Note: Can't find a real province name. Used to be considered as the French capital before Louis VI the Fat. Title of Count used until the end of the 10th century. Title of Duke used from 1344 AD (created by the French King to give it to his youngest son). Nothing found between both.

12. Troyes
    Province: Hault/Hausse Champaigne (High Champagne - still need to find the right translation for "High" in old French)
    Title: Conte de Champaigne (Count of Champagne)
    Description:

13. Reims
    Province: Basse Champaigne (Low Champagne)
    Title: Conte de Roucy (Count of Roucy)
    Description:
    Note: the right title for Reims was Archbishop. Roucy was a county very near to Reims.

14. Dijon
    Province: Bourgoigne (Burgundy)
    Title: Duc de Bourgoigne (Duke of Burgundy)
    Description:
    Note: do not confuse with the Kingdom of Burgundy which was under HRE rule.

15. Paris
    Province: Isle de France (not accurate but best guess for the game)
    Title: Conte de Paris (Count of Paris - real title but under Carolingian dynasty - best guess for the game anyway)
    Description:

16. Gand
    Province: Flandres (Flanders)
    Title: Conte de Flandres (Count of Flanders)
    Description:

Additional info - Title in old French:

Empreror: Emperere or Emperéres
    King: Roy (can be also Reis but might be confusing with Spanish title)
    Marquis: Marchis
    Baron: Barun (used for general meaning for Nobles rather as a specific title)

I'll update this post with the missing info as soon as I find them
    Btw, I guess that I should do the same for the CS faction I also found that Jerusalem should be Hierusalem (as actually named during that period).
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; April 07, 2017 at 07:48 AM.

Here the PTF DESCRIPTIONS FOR ALL EAST EUROPE(POLAND, LITHUANIA,RUTHENIA, NOVGOROD,KIEVAN RUS AND HUNGARY)

PTs DESCRIPTIONS EAST EUROPE_.7z

Jurand, when you can answer the PM and also tell me what is the next step for work
    Last edited by j.a.luna; April 12, 2017 at 07:09 AM.
    THE MORE YOU SWEAT NOW,

@Lifth, You may prompt me to review also the names in Poland ;-)
    Eg. Gdansk appears in the source in 11 c. as URBS GYDDANYZC. So Gyddanyz. However, in late 14 c. something like Danzike due to the North German immigration.
    I think we should make it an ongoing work in future (again, it's for years: when somebody plays a faction, delves into the sources, and discoveres the right versions. This will be done through masks in the next versions of the SSHIP.
    However, for now we need the complete all PTs - both in conceptual part (names, benefits, descriptions) and in the implementation (changing code). I think it'd be best to do all the settlements, given that j.a.luna is busy with implementation. We're somehow at 40% of work, I think, but given that I've got experience with balancing and j.a.luna gathered the names for all the settlement, we're somewhere at 50%.
    Furthermore, I still discerning the issues. For instance on France as you see the table, the "general" types of PTs is concentrated in the north (Roazhon, Angers, Rouen, Orleans). I think it'd be better to swap Rouen with Toulouse, with moving +Mining somewhere else. Hmmm.
    @j.a.luna - great work! I'll answer to your PM.

Blog Entries

There are still some points that confusing me for the description. I'll update my post above but you'll need to check if it's correct.

For example, Flanders has mostly an "industrial" farming production, meaning generating the raw for the textile industry (linen, colours, etc...). In that case, do you still considering that settlement with "agriculture" bonus

Orleans was somehow the 1st French capital under the first Capetian kings. It has also a famous university (13th century) for clerics and lawyers. So it should be authority and religion. Am I right?

Nizza (or Nice) was famous for its anti-French behaviour. That city prefered to be under the County of Savoy ruling than under the French one. There were quite numerous revolts while under the French ruling. Finally, it was famous for its salt trade. It should be trade and what: authority? military leader?
    This can be also applied to Gand (anti-French feeling leading to revolts).

That's just to fill the description as you wish (at least close to it )

Flanders has mostly an "industrial" farming production, meaning generating the raw for the textile industry (linen, colours, etc...). In that case, do you still considering that settlement with "agriculture" bonus

Orleans was somehow the 1st French capital under the first Capetian kings. It has also a famous university (13th century) for clerics and lawyers. So it should be authority and religion. Am I right?

Nizza (or Nice) was famous for its anti-French behaviour. That city prefered to be under the County of Savoy ruling than under the French one. There were quite numerous revolts while under the French ruling. Finally, it was famous for its salt trade. It should be trade and what: authority? military leader?
    This can be also applied to Gand (anti-French feeling leading to revolts)
    Flanders - sophisticated agriculture was a prerequisit for any province to get rich. To my knowledge, Flanders had one of the most advanced agriculture systems in Europe in the Middle Ages. So I believe the bonus is legitimate. What you're saying is true, but there's no "industry" bonus, just trade or agriculture. Trade 30% plus Farmin +2 is probably the biggest production bonus in-game. No other can match its. In a good province it'll give over 1000 florins. So I'd defend my choice ;-)

Orleans - ok for authority. So should we move Lyon bonus to Orleans, and popularity bonus to Lyon (so that overall figure remains the same). Religion - well, there's already 3 cities with Piety bonus in France (Paris, Reims, Clermont). Of course, almost all provinces could boast cathedrals and monasteries in France in the MAs. For instance, I hesitated to give it to Dijon (you know Vezelay and the whole cluster around Cluny). So I'd rather to move bonus from Clermont to Dijon, not to Orleans. But what to move to Clermont for it to have at least 2?

Nizza - there's already much trade! I'd rather consider moving one away ;-) Despite that attitude to the French, I'd rather make the currents effects stay. I think it's more legitimate to give 1 Defence to Gand, if you think it fit. But what should we decrease?

Blog Entries

My examples above are just... examples
    That's just to get the right understanding
    I'll make the description in the relevant post and let you to decide. After all, your stuff, your choice

Quote Originally Posted by Eldgrimr View Post
    Here's a simple way to read the unique letters in the names:
    Ţ/ţ = Hard '"th" sound like in "thin"
    Đ/đ = Soft "th" sound like in "then"
    Ó/ó = "o" sound like in "tool"
    Ǫ/ǫ = "o" sound like in "coffee"
    Í/í = "e" sound like in "feet"
    I think for the sake of safe compatibility we need to do it in ASCII.
    So how should a transcription of ţ and đ look like ? I'd propose the following: t and d

Jarl í Borgartingslog
    Jarl í Gulatingslog
    Jarl í Vestrgautland
    Jarl í Svítjod
    Jarl í Smáland
    Jarl í Gutland
    Jarl í Skáney
    Jarl í Sjáland
    Jarl í Jótland