Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Criticism of this mod!

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Default Re: Criticism of this mod!

Last edited by Visarion; October 07, 2016 at 12:31 PM.

Artifex

Artifex

Last edited by Visarion; October 07, 2016 at 12:59 PM.

Artifex

Last edited by Visarion; October 07, 2016 at 01:08 PM.

Artifex

Anyway the east and the steppes including Byz should be much more diverse due to the massive Nomads that were enrolled in the Byz army

Kievans english danes venetians too

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Visarion View Post
    Anyway I'll try and pull myself together...

I would suggest some Late Tier 3 Guard units:

Like KJC many nations and styles of armors should be included, both eastern and western:

1) Late Spear Guard (mixed English style full plate and Cretan and Morean leather armor, Byzantine scale and lamellar armors, spear and large round shield)

2) Danish Varangian Guard (long chainmail shirt, kite shield, sword or axe)

3) Late Archer Guard (Venetian full plate, Byzantine leather, scale, lamellar armor, chainshirts)

4) Late English Kingsguard (chainshirt and full plate, greataxe)

5) Late Varangopoulos Guard (platemail, greatsword)

6) Late Cataphract Kingsguards (late Byzantine lamellar armor)

7) Late Sword Guard (I saw some depictions with units having great round shields, sword and javelins even during late times)

To be honest I am not convinced that all these guard units have any foundation historically speaking.
    Normally I like to go with Ian Heath and what he brings up as sources do not really give that much hope for full plate units:

take a look here: this , figures 52 and 53, is what I based the high era scoutatoi and heavy archers on, and this, figure 57, is what I based the high era heavy infantry on. This depiction shows this unit being from the 15th century yet I gave it to the late 14th century to make the romans be able to put up a decent fight against any western faction.

I'd rather go with a late era heavy plate / lamellar combo varangoupolis 2h sword unit, as well as a Heavy Archer unit with partial plate while the rest of the heavies being provided by mercenaries.

While the empire might not have had the funds to keep mercenary contingents for long but due to heavy territorial losses they were also unable to field large native armies due to the lack of manpower, at least that's what I read everywhere.

I am also aware of the other pictures you posted ,but they are for the most part for the 12th - 13th centuries and depict units from rus, to kypchaks, lithuanians, hungarians and some early " byzantines". Thanks anyway.

EDIT: plus the ones you posted after I wrote this message
    Last edited by Ltd.; October 07, 2016 at 01:52 PM.

Artifex

I see... well the pope paid most of the mercs and also many came willingly like in the case of the Greek Revolution from 1821 1829 were many Phil-Hellenes came from all over Europe... Varangopouloi Greatswordsmen and Late Heavy Archers sounds good to me!

True that they had low funds. But this game is creating our history. So what if we got the funds and expanded the empire to per se create these better units and fund the high end mercenaries. Happy tho that the Byzantines are getting two more badass units
    Last edited by paulyo122; October 07, 2016 at 02:03 PM.

I'm closing this thread and others temporaily until me or Ltd can clean up the clutter in it. I should of done this way sooner.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123