Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Westworld (HBO series) (Season 2 Trailer)

torongill's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Westworld (HBO series)

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post
    It's implied but never shown what the MIB does to Dolores in the barn. You're making a logical leap, but without seeing any indication of what transpired, that could be intentionally misleading by the writers.
    Robert The Creator tells Teddy in plain text "You are here so that the guests can defeat the local gunslinger and have their way with his girl."
    It's not a logical leap at all. She is the most abused host in the whole park, repaired so many times she's practically brand new.

Whatever he does to her, is terrible enough, to let her overcome her programming that prevent her frrom using a weapon. I'll let your fruitful imagination conclude what may cause such an event.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibernicus II View Post
    What's EB?
    "I Eddard of the house Stark, Lord of Winterfell and Warden of the North, sentence you to die."
    "Per Ballista ad astra!" - motto of the Roman Legionary Artillery.
    Republicans in all their glory...

Quote Originally Posted by torongill View Post
    Robert The Creator tells Teddy in plain text "You are here so that the guests can defeat the local gunslinger and have their way with his girl."
    It's not a logical leap at all. She is the most abused host in the whole park, repaired so many times she's practically brand new.

Whatever he does to her, is terrible enough, to let her overcome her programming that prevent her frrom using a weapon. I'll let your fruitful imagination conclude what may cause such an event.
    Yes, that has been what has been stated about Dolores being constantly abused, but we never witnessed the MIB abusing Dolores...it was implied. And it is highly likely that that omission was a decoy. We don't know what transpired in the barn, but we can ascertain that Dolores became MORE aware after due to her taking the gun and using it, though she was initially reticent to do any harm.

I'm saying it's not straight forward.

Do you believe for a second anything that Hopkins says about the history of the park, or his intentions, or what he says to Bernard, etc...is true? He's an unreliable narrator.

RedGuard's Avatar Protector Domesticus

What if instead of raping her the MIB actually messed with her brain? He has a knife out and we know what he did with the knife right after to the merchant. It would explain why suddenly after all this time Dolores is hearing "Arnold". Perhaps the MIB wants Dolores to be the one to discover the truth first, since he feels sorry for her or at least its implied that he does "never understood why they paired some of you up. it seems cruel..."

The show could want you to think that it was Fords reveries that ed everything up, but that might just be the catalyst. Perhaps there needs to be a man on the inside to do it.

im pretty sure its the MIB who is the "company rep" that Ford mentions ominously to the COO.
    Last edited by RedGuard; November 02, 2016 at 12:53 AM.

I think the MIB is quite sympathetic to some human being who might be the original from which the hosts are spawned from, and that the MIB is trying to help them escape. And that he communicated to Dolores in the barn and that whatever happened, it wasn't a rape.

What the Flick did a roundtable about the show, and one reviewer mentioned that all of these Easter eggs might be purely art set design issues and that all of that was clever and remarkable in the 1st season of True Detective, and intentionally or not fostered a huge conversation about the show, which then ended up being much less clever and somewhat straight forward at the finale. Sometimes people like puzzles and maybe this isn't the Gordian Knot.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; November 02, 2016 at 01:00 AM.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

^Very likely, yes. It would be really strange if the show happens to have a plot very much more complicated than the novel (or movie? maybe the latter was simple anyway).

"People see themselves in what they like", and tend to project good personal ideas onto anything which allows for that, despite often not being there
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Looks like things are about to collapse:

Is this a 1 season show? And how many more eps to this season?

By the way:

The logo one is nice.
    Last edited by Kyriakos; November 02, 2016 at 07:52 AM.
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

"i am beginning to think you have reasons for concern." no sherlock.

i am beginning to think you should keep an eye on a rather excentric genius thats running your themepark at a whim.

bloody hell, at least hammond owned his park, so he could do whatever he wanted. people in this world are kinda blase about a bunch of robots controlled by an inscrutable science guy. the guys from torchwood have more oversight, is this some evil capitalist distopia? i havent seen the movie or stuff, is that a theme there? or is it just: dont make with the hubris, and quit building stuff thats too smart to control?

one thing i can absolutely believe in though: if we ever make a lifelike android, then to two specifications: to , and to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    "i am beginning to think you have reasons for concern." no sherlock.

i am beginning to think you should keep an eye on a rather excentric genius thats running your themepark at a whim.

bloody hell, at least hammond owned his park, so he could do whatever he wanted. people in this world are kinda blase about a bunch of robots controlled by an inscrutable science guy. the guys from torchwood have more oversight, is this some evil capitalist distopia? i havent seen the movie or stuff, is that a theme there? or is it just: dont make with the hubris, and quit building stuff thats too smart to control?

one thing i can absolutely believe in though: if we ever make a lifelike android, then to two specifications: to , and to kill.
    You don't think the whole point of this place is so rich people get to come in and play cowboy do you? Ford probably has the board by the balls, and they let him get away with everything short of murder... Although the jury is still out on Arnold.

This is not a one season show. The plan is for 7-8 seasons according to one article in which they discussed how all of that was strategically mapped. HBO manages to acquire excellent shows with terrific writing versus standard television outlets.

Regular television is trying to write characters who then appeal to niche markets. Since HBOs business model is a subscription service and doing far less shows in a seaon, then they have the potential to create quality and are most unhindered from censorship. So even when people complain, it typically is great free publicity.

Let's look at that. What is easier, doing 7 seasons with ten episodes = 70 total or

Do 26 episodes in one season and trying to get ratings so commericials can be aired that only are watched by non-Tivo users who sit glued to the set? In time, the only audience that would be relevant for standard tv will be the elderly. It's a dying media form and one that will be strictly regulated and with diminishing returns.

But a subscription service like HBO's Westworld then is prone to issues like ESPN has with NFL issues that become political. As long as Westworld doesn't stray into that morass, they can do anti-morality plays, have rampant sensuality, have routine nudity for no reason save to demonstrate the powerlessness of the android slaves, and can get away with it plus reap the economic benefits.

Surely all TV is heading in the same direction of HBO. Streaming shows are unwise as people binge watch and then it's over and that is even more prone to piracy. Westworld stays relevant each week for ten weeks and then re-runs and stays in the consciousness of all. Daredevil fans binge watch and then the event is mostly over even though they might watch again. Netflicks is making an error even though their shows have copied some of the most important aspects of the HBO model. If Westworld did that, they would peak quickly then fall off.

Look at Dolores from a psychological marketing point of view. The writers have given her every possible plus from the damsel in distress side to appeal to one niche, but then gives us sensuality to that she doesn't offer but is forced, then gives romance, then makes her likeable, then makes her having an hidden agenda, then makes her gaining in sentience and power. She has an appeal for just about any viewer and they can then see themselves as her or be attracted to her or both. She's the contrast to open sensuality.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; November 02, 2016 at 08:24 PM.

Upon rewatch of episode 1 and 2 I noticed two things that I didn't the first time. 1. The reveries that Ford uploaded in the update were to hide the much more subtle change that he made to the robots. specifically the ability of the robots to remember past configurations and also an activation code put deep down in their Arnold subconscious. 200 robots were deactivated and retrieved after the update which Ford fully admits to doing "mistakenly" but almost all with the exception of the Milkman are released back into the park. Peter Abernathy is never retreived though, not until he tells Dolores about the picture and starts spazzing out. He tells her "these violent delights have violent ends". Dolores then tells Maeve the same thing. All Three of these robots are starting to realize the truth of their reality and I do not believe that is a coincidence. The shakespeare awoke them. And we know that peter remembered the shakespeare after the update and after finding the photo...and the most telling of all is that Ford himself (remember this is the same guy they had to go all the way down into the basement to talk to in episode 1,) makes it his priority to interview peter and then immediately decommission him, wiping the trace of his crime away.

2. The more obvious thing, is that Dolores tells teddy about the Judas steer, or the male cow that leads the rest to pasture. Why does she have knowledge of this? Its not really necessary to her character, as her dad is the rancher not her. She goes into town and paints during the day as we have seen, and doesn't interact with the cattle at all. This is a key line I believe as it implies Dolores or Teddy, but most likely Dolores will be the Judas Steer of the robots...the ubermensch if you will, that leads the robots to the promised land. The Storyline that Ford is constructing and that everyone is dying to find.

Still believe that Ford murdered Arnold and a further break down of this scene just further confirms it me. Hopkins acting is revealing.

Hm, i think some of the trailer for ep6 scenes were not in the actual ep6... For example that hot armenian host beating up humans.

Overall, this ep was more convoluted i think. Maybe serves as build-up though

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

I keep being amazed.

Sadly I think the park being in its natural state is drawing to an end. On another note Teddy with a gatling gun was funny.

Oh and when robots start lying, humanity is fragged.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

So, who saw Yul Brynner.

The original movie wasn't an exploration of existentialism. It was more about humanities reliance on technology. A theme that would "pop" up now and then culminating with Terminator.
    The existentialism expressed or suggested int he plot lines was something that was contemplated in Star Trek: The New Generation with data. I guess this speaks volume for our development; technology is something to be "feared" to something that can "go too far."

[Note: I missed episodes 1 & 2, watched 3 and 5, but missed 4, so I am only getting brief glimpses.]

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    So, who saw Yul Brynner.
    If someone didn't, they aren't watching this show properly.

Maybe yul was the one who grabbed elisa lol.

Weren't they in the storage room with the first generation androids? That movie was made roughly at that time

Btw, the obnoxious exec (i mean the one that Hopkins disgraced) is way too comedy-relief to help this show, imo.

Another issue is that (in my view) they aren't going to make this look plausible if they focus on how the AI 'think', cause it is hugely unlikely we will have androids of this kind at all. Suspension of disbelief is eroded.
    Btw, why can't that bearded white mechanic/whatever just say his mantra of "all motor movements stop"?

Citizen

Was it just me or was the scary room filled with roman and medieval stuff?

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Was it just me or was the scary room filled with roman and medieval stuff?
    I thought I glimpsed a Thracian(?) style helmet.

http://67.media.tumblr.com/c60f24571...fuxjo1_500.jpg

They would need those if it has many seasons, but from how this season develops i think it is very unlikely they'll have 7 seasons (as mentioned in the thread). I wouldn't really see this being more than a 1-2 season show, cause otherwise it will become bloated.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    I thought I glimpsed a Thracian(?) style helmet.

http://67.media.tumblr.com/c60f24571...fuxjo1_500.jpg

You are right, but there's a full plate armor right next to it as well as a roman statue and a lot of Romanesque masks.

I'm thinking its a easter egg from the movie's romanworld and medievalworld.
    Last edited by Påsan; November 08, 2016 at 03:19 PM.