Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Rise of Two Empires - A Romano-Georgian AAR (SSHIP)

Default The Rise of Two Empires - A Romano-Georgian AAR (SSHIP)

Chapter I: The Intro

From the writings of Symbasileios Alexios Komnenos,

My father inherited a broken empire. The year is 1132, and the Empire of the Romans is in shambles. Our armies are ragged, our infrastructure in a state of decay, and our people are in total disunity. Perhaps worst of all, our enemies no longer fear us. The memory of our humiliating defeat at Manzikert is still fresh in the minds of all of our potential rivals, and serves to embolden them with each successive year that we fail to reassert our dominance over them.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The Roman Empire, 1132 AD

In the West, all of our remaining holdings in Italy have been forfeited to the Normans of Sicily, who have humiliated us repeatedly in battle and continue to mock us. Further up the peninsula, Venice, once our protectorate, has thrown off the Roman yolk and declared total independence from Constantinople. What’s more, from their island capital, they now seek to establish a maritime trade empire and cut away at the sustenance of the Empire. And finally, to the North, the Grand Prince of Serbia, once a vassal of the empire who was free only in name, has declared independence from the empire as well and now seeks to expand his dominion over much formerly Roman territory in the Western Balkans.

Although I wish I had the power to rectify this situation, I cannot in the immediate future, and probably not for many years to come. As dire as the situation in the West has become, the state of affairs in the East is infinitely worse. Anatolia, once the bread-basket of the Empire is slipping from our grasp more and more each year. Our territory is now limited to the coastline of Asia Minor and the Black Sea. The central Anatolian plateau is now occupied by a rogue Seljuk Sultanate that has split from the main Seljuk holdings in Persia and declared war against us.

Fortunately, the independence of this “Sultanate of Rum” from the Great Seljuk Empire is one great weakness that I believe we can exploit. They have few allies and seem to be fairly weak at the time being. My father has already amassed whatever forces he can at the city of Nikaia, and I have been ordered to lead the foray into Turkish territory personally. So, I have set out from Thessaloniki with only my personal bodyguard in tow and I head now eastward to head up this army. I figure that if I can destroy these invaders and retake our holdings in Anatolia quickly, I may be able to do it without having to fight other nations for it. I can only hope that the crusader states in Outremer can distract the major Islamic powers in the region long enough for me to do so.

There is one more advantage I have yet to unveil, I have been promised the princess of the Kingdom of Georgia as a wife. Georgia is one of the few remaining Christian kingdoms in the East, and with this marriage I will seal a great alliance for our peoples. This I hope will solidify the bond between ourselves and one of our most important former vassals in the orient... If the Roman Empire is to survive this time of adversity, it is time for us to adapt and beat our enemies at their own game. We cannot do this alone.

From the writings of Prince Giorgi Bagrationi,

The Kingdom of Georgia, 1132 AD

Today is a great day for our people, my sister, Rusudan has married into the Komnenos line of the Roman Empire. Now Georgia, once just a vassal state of the Romans is now a full-fledged ally, and even wields influence within the court of Constantinople itself. In addition, the Royal Army has been assembled in force, and I am to lead the expedition to claim the city of Baku for Georgia. While our army is busy abroad, we would normally be vulnerable, but this alliance with the Roman Empire has provided us with a shield of sorts. The Romans may not be as powerful as they once were, and they certainly do not command the respect that they once did, but any and every power in the region would still think twice of making an enemy of them (or their friends), at least outright.

Rusudan marries Alexios Komnenos.

The siege of Baku begins.

They say that crises are just opportunities in disguise. My time is one of great fluctuation, and I think that the opportunity has finally arrived for Georgia to reach the level of greatness that I always knew it could. Not only are the regions of the Caucasus open for the taking, but also Armenia and the Steppes to the North. The Cumans are weak, as are the Seljuks and the Abbasids. In every direction, there is land to be conquered and wealth to be had. I will make my mark on this world, and now is the time.
    Last edited by Ser Gareth; September 29, 2016 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Fixing pictures/making corrections
    "The city is fallen and I am still alive." - Constantine XI Palaiologos
    "Beyond all ideas of right and wrong there is a field, I will meet you there." - Rumi

Default Re: The Rise of Two Empires - A Romano-Georgian AAR (SSHIP)

Chapter II: Alexios marches on Ankyra and the siege of Baku is maintained

From the writings of Symbasileios Alexios Komnenos, 1133 AD,

The road to Ankyra is a long and unforgiving one. Each night that we camp I am reminded of how difficult it must have been for my ancestors to have conquered this part of the world the first time so many centuries ago. The mountains form labyrinths and there is little open ground at which to make camp. It would be very easy to stumble into an ambush and be defeated or to have our camp raided in the night since there is little visibility in each direction.

[IMG][/IMG]

Since we left Nikaia, my scouts have been roaming far and wide, attempting to track down the sultan’s forces and keep them under watch. It would only take one mistake for us all to be slaughtered and the path to Constantinople to be left totally undefended. Although my father is attempting to recruit as many soldiers as he can in Greece to create some sort of defense for the Western part of the Empire, as it currently stands, without assembling the garrisons of every fortress across the Aegean, we would be totally defenseless should any sort of crisis arise.

Despite this, I find myself feeling somewhat optimistic. I look around at the men that make up this modest army, and even though there is an obvious lack of equipment and training among most of the army, I see hardy and brave soldiers, ready to face whatever the Turks will throw their way. Walking through camp, I feel inspired to fight and to do whatever is necessary to get these men home at the end of this war.

My father, Ioannis has also sent word that he has commissioned the building of roads throughout the empire once again. When I saw him in Constantinople I urged him to consider doing this. Many of the roads throughout the empire, even along the bustling trade hubs of the Aegean coast are in a state of decay and some even date back to the early Roman era. Building paved roads will speed the rate of trade, exchange, communications, and most importantly to me, troops. Despite the state of our infrastructure, trade remains thriving in the Aegean and across other parts of the Empire, it is with the money we are making from this that we are able to fund our campaigns and wars.

[IMG][/IMG]

Lastly, he mentioned that my younger brother, Manouil, has come of age. This is exciting news, and my father has determined that he shall be the Strategos of the Western Army when it is finally ready to march. I am not sure whether I would choose an untested boy to have such a crucial leadership role, but I am not the Emperor, so I must bow to his wisdom on this matter.

[IMG][/IMG]

From the writings of Prince Giorgi Bagrationi, 1133 AD,

I hate sieges, so much time to waste. We’ve built trenches but I haven’t ordered the building of any siege machines as of yet. The enemy has more men than I initially expected and I would almost assuredly destroy my army in the process of trying to take it. They cannot wait within their walls forever though, soon they will run out of food and supplies. Whenever enemy soldiers appear on the walls we take pot shots at them and try to wear down their morale. We have the liberty of being able to make more ammunition when we run out, they must save theirs.

For whatever it’s worth, this time spent wallowing away outside of the walls of Baku may prove to be beneficial. My father, Demetre sent Dachi, a priest from Tbilisi to begin the delicate process of converting the populace back over to Christianity. Only about a quarter of Shirvan is Christian, so it will be important for us to convert as many people as possible if we are to maintain any level of control over the city once we take it. I will outlast them.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Ser Gareth; September 26, 2016 at 11:45 PM.
    "Beyond all ideas of right and wrong there is a field, I will meet you there." - Rumi

Chapter III: A Second Army is Formed and a Choice is to be Made

I have a difficult choice to make. My scouts have reported that the Turkish capital of Ikonion is only lightly defended by the Sultan’s personal guard. I could divert our forces to try to kill the Sultan quickly and seize their capital for ourselves, thereby crippling them. That would leave their field army with free reign to sally forth from Ankyra and seal us in though, or to flee and try to take more territory, prolonging their existence for a short amount of time. I think the best move is to put Ankyra under siege and bottle up their army for the time being, the Sultan will have to wait.

[IMG][/IMG]

It seems I made the right choice, my scouts reported that the Sultan has received some reinforcements at Ikonion. I’m not sure from where exactly, but I have laid siege to Ankyra and my decision is made. As I speak, the men dig trenches and make siege lines. I will have to wait them out, as I have not the men to squander on a foolish attempt at the enemy’s walls. My spies have reported that they have enough food and supplies within the city to last for upwards of two years. I must just pray that they will surrender before then.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

From the writings of Manouil Komnenos, 1134 AD,

I am now within striking distance of the great city of Thessaloniki. I just met up with a coalition of forces that have been assembled from all over the Balkans. It took my father and brother, Andronikos about two years to do it, but we have a fairly decently equipped force that has enough men, I believe, to annex Serbia and bring it back into the fold.

[IMG][/IMG]

I have yet to taste battle, but my martial training is complete and my father thinks I am ready. I am not totally sure of this, but either way, I suppose we shall find out soon enough. I will not disappoint him, or the rest of my family for that matter. While Alexios will reap all the glory for his victories over the Seljuks, I will demonstrate my own valor over our enemies closer to home, I just hope it doesn’t go unnoticed.

Other goings on:

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Pirates plague the Eastern Mediterranean, but the Roman navy manages to lift their blockade of the Peloponnese.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Giorgi is married.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The Roman Empire makes another ally.

waveman's Avatar Decanus

Wow, quite the flurry of updates for your beginning! I quite like the different perspectives that you've offered, and the seemingly parallel lines of development that they've taken. Have some rep

My AARs/writing: Link
    Letters for writing: þ, ð æ Æ

Thank you Waveman! I really like your Carthage AAR!

This chapter will be extremely short, but I may post another later if I have time.

Chapter IV: Rebels…

From the writings of Demetre Bagrationi, King of Georgia, 1134 AD,

The rebels in Baku have seemingly raised a small force of brigands to raid our supply lines. This cannot be allowed to stand. Tomorrow, I will set out with my bodyguards and the garrison of Tbilisi and crush these heathens. I will make them regret ever picking up a weapon.

It has been a long time since my sword has tasted the blood of one of my enemies. Far too long.

Battle Report: Battle of Kartli

The rebel force consists only of a couple units of peasant archers and a unit of peasant infantry. My bodyguard alone would be more than enough to destroy them, but I also have a unit of Kartlian spearmen to aid me.

The plan of attack is simple in this engagement, just charge them head on with my spearmen while my horsemen hit them from the side.

The battle is more of a slaughter, as the rebels attempt to flee immediately after the impact of the charge.

Map: 1134, No FOW
    Last edited by Ser Gareth; September 28, 2016 at 04:26 PM.

Chapter V: More fun with rebels, and Manouil lays siege

From the writings of Manouil Komnenos, 1135,

We arrived at Dyrrachion the night before last. I was concerned that we wouldn’t and we would have to make camp in the dark. My worry turned out to be for naught though, and we arrived with ample time find room for my troops in the local barracks. My scouts tell me that Skadar is only a few days march from here, and that the garrison is small enough for my forces to take with minimal losses. Especially with some auxiliary forces from the local garrison of Dyrrachion. We are set to leave at dawn tomorrow.

As foolish as it probably sounds, I am eager to test myself in battle. I have been preparing for this my entire life, and when I go into battle, I am fortunate enough to be surrounded by some of the toughest men that the Empire has to offer. The captain of my guard is a grizzled veteran of several wars that used to fight in the emperor’s vanguard. Each and every other soldier in my guard has been distinguished in combat as well. Anyone who wants to kill me has to go through them first. I feel pretty safe…

From the writings of Manouil Komnenos, 1135,

We arrived at Skadar this morning, and I had my men immediately set to work building the trenches and siege lines. I also ordered the building of a few battering rams, they should be ready in a couple months’ time. The days of freedom in Skadar are numbered.

From the writings of Ioannis Kantakouzinos, 1135,

Bulgarian nationalists have been a problem in Bulgaria since the days of Basil II. These days they aren’t much of a threat, but they still appear every time and again just to make us aware that they exist seemingly. Anyhow, a small force of these nationalists have been raiding the trade routes on the road north from Naissos. The Emperor has given me orders to send these raiders scurrying back to the hills, and that is precisely what I intend to do.

… Upon spotting my forces headed in their direction, the raiders chose to try and run literally to the hills funnily enough. Their escape is blocked by mountains though, so they have nowhere to run. They have taken up the highground, but they have no real infantry to defend their crossbowmen with, besides peasants which I expect will run at the first sight of heavy cavalry. The crossbowmen on the other hand could do some damage while I am attempting to get to them, so I will have to be careful.

Battle Report: Battle of Naissos

The Roman forces line up and march towards the enemy.

The Bulgarian rebels take the highground.

The Roman archers succeed in drawing first blood.

The rebels fail to return fire.

The rebel's peasants are hit simultaneously by the Roman bodyguard and infantry and break almost instantly.

The infantry chase the peasants while the cavalry chase the retreating crossbowmen who have still yet to fire even a single shot.

Ioannis seizes an easy victory and returns home with his forces intact.

Other Interesting Events:

The Roman Empire is once again the wealthiest power in the known world.

The Serbians take Vhrbosna.

A theologians guild is built in Konstantinoupolis.

The King of Hungary is spotted near the danube frontier with a small force.

A third imperial army is raised in Paphlagonia and Chaldia and Isaakios Komnenos marches out of Roman territory at the head of it. Their target is the city of Sevasteia. (Sivas)
    Last edited by Ser Gareth; September 28, 2016 at 04:57 PM.

Chapter VI: The Battle of Skadar and the Siege of Sevasteia

From the writings of Manouil Komnenos, 1136,

My hands are shaking and my head is spinning. The palisades of Skadar are not particularly foreboding, but the men inside those walls know that their day of judgement has arrived. They know that they must kill us all in order to survive. I have tried to conceal my nervousness from my troops, but I don’t know how well it’s working, I can only hope that they find the courage within themselves to prevail.

Battle Report: The Battle of Skadar

The akolouthoi (light spearmen) to start are attached to the siege rams, and I had my toxotai (light archers) arrayed in the front of the army to provide covering fire. The enemy begins the battle just cowering behind their walls in wait. All of their troops are covering the main gate.

When the battle begins, two rams are sent to batter down the wall on either side of the main gatehouse. One other ram is sent to batter down a side gate, and the final ram is sent to batter down the wall to the far right-hand side of the wall. The main bulk of the army is posed to charge in through the holes on either side of the main gate, while the cavalry is sent along with the ram attacking the side gate.

As the battle begins, my archers immediately begin firing over the enemy’s walls and littering the inside of the palisade with arrows and dead bodies. The enemy’s archers retreat to the town center immediately, without even firing a shot back at us.

As our rams approach their walls, the enemy decides to sally forth with a single unit of infantry in an attempt to prevent a breach at the main gate. They find themselves surrounded as both units drop their siege equipment and immediately attack them. They hold out alright initially due to the fact that they are only fighting lightly armed spearmen, but seeing an opportunity, the entire bulk of the army charges at them and they rout.

While this is happening, the ram at the side gate breaches and the akolouthoi and stratatoi (light cavalry) charge through the unguarded entrance towards the town center. The enemy sounds a retreat and their infantry pull back towards the town square.

All of the Roman infantry charge into the town square and engage. Manouil himself also charges into the fight, and manages to personally slay several men. The fighting is brutal and arduous, but the Serbian rebels are heavily outnumbered, and it soon turns from a fight to more of an extermination. In the midst of this, the Serb captain also falls, delivering further morale damage to his surrounded troops.

After about an hour of depraved bloodshed, the Serbs are finally no more within the town.

Victory belongs to Rome on this day.

From the writings of Manouil Komnenos, 1136,

The aftermath is quite gruesome, but our losses are acceptable. I have been told that we are down about one hundred men as a result, and we killed about three hundred rebels. This is not great, but it certainly isn’t awful. I chose to simply occupy the town, as I feel that enough blood has been spilt today. Even my mercy comes as a disappointment to the Serbians though, and I have received word that they are unhappy with our occupation of “their rightful territory.” These Serbs are quite a humorous bunch.

Anyhow, I’m not sure that I’ll ever be ‘comfortable’ on a battlefield, but I survived my first battle. I even slew several men myself, something I thought would feel good, but in reality just makes me feel empty. I don’t have time to dwell though, there are bodies to bury, walls to repair, and more battles to be fought.

From the writings of Isaakios Komnenos, 1136,

It seems that my brother, the emperor has set himself against my lifestyle. I am to lead an army into hostile territory and bring the city of Sevasteia back into the fold. I am not happy about this, I quite enjoy the tranquil luxury of Trapezous. I don’t really have a choice in the matter though. Last year, my sister’s husband, Nikiphoros Vryennios, the obvious candidate to lead this foray, passed away from old age and there is nobody else that can do it. It seems I am condemned to a life of military service as a result.

Very interesting!

Really loving the presentation and your style. So is this a hotseat campaign you play "with yourself"? I always thought that was a brilliant way to present a campaign from multiple perspectives!

Very well done - lots of kudos!
    Chronicles of Cimmeria - A Kimmerios Bosporos AAR (EB2)
    The Age of Peace - A TW: Warhammer Empire AAR
    Blood Red Eagle - The Sons of Lodbrok Invasion of Northumbrialand [complete]
    Machines - A Sci-Fi Short Story [complete]

Great first chapters!

Like waveman, I like the different perspectives and everything seems very authentic for this time period!

+rep

Thank you both for the feedback! I am playing both factions. I'm just glad you guys are enjoying it so far. Hopefully I'll have the next chapter up later today or tomorrow. I already have the pictures and most of the writing, I mainly just need to proofread it and cut it down.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I see what waveman means about the flurry of posts! All those chapters in three days is pretty impressive!

Like everybody else, I'm enjoying the different points of view. I'm intrigued to see whether the different personalities and preferences will result in conflict within families as time progresses.

Chapter VII: The battle for Baku

From the writings of Giorgi Bagrationi, 1136 AD,

The rebels occupying Baku are out of food and they have yet to surrender. My men are ready for this fight, Dachi gave a rousing speech to the men early this morning. He told us that god is on our side, and that there is nothing to fear from these infidels. I have no doubt that his words will ring true this morning. As we lined up for battle, the glint of my men’s helmets and spear points created a radiantly beautiful display, and I was reminded of the light of god.

Battle Report: The Battle for Baku

My plan of attack in this battle was to form a U shape formation to seal the rebels in as they sallied out to meet us.

The rebels rush out from their city in a disorganized mess. The rebel cavalry immediately charged the Kartlian spearmen that made up the front ranks of the formation. The spearmen manage to contain them, although they take some heavy losses in the process.

The mercenary Alani cavalry fires into the flanks of the enemy as they advance towards my main infantry line.

The Georgian Monaspa heavy cavalry charge their rear ranks, wreaking havoc among their archers.

After the cavalry begins breaking, the infantry and cavalry charge the remaining rebel forces, shattering them.

The rebels surrender as soon as our forces reach the main gate.

From the writings of Giorgi Bagrationi, 1136 AD,

Ever since the fall of Baku about a month ago, things have been pretty quiet. The local population is largely pacified, as I set my men loose to sack the city once we took it. It was a bloodbath, and there were about three thousand bodies to bury in the aftermath. The people here are resentful of our rule, but I think that once they realize that this is not a temporary regime change, their attitudes will begin to shift.

Baku was an important step in reasserting power over the entire Caucasus region. We now also have ports on both the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea, which is a great benefit to our trade income. My sights are now centered on the city of Bab-al-Abwab to the North. I haven’t the men currently to march out from Baku without there being riots, but I hope within a year that situation will change. We are already seeing a surge in patriotism, with many more men volunteering for service than we have had in the past few years. The Republic of Novgorod also entered an alliance with us, further solidifying our place as a rising power in the World. My optimism is finally looking warranted.

Last edited by Ser Gareth; October 01, 2016 at 12:53 AM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I'm enjoying your AAR, including (as everyone else said) the Roman and Georgian perspectives. In the Battle for Baku, I like the way that you explain what your plan was. Your screenshots show key events in battles and the campaign well. (When I wrote my first AAR, an experienced writer suggested that I avoid having a unit which is selected appear in screenshots, to avoid the green blobs under their feet. I know that it is not always possible to avoid this, for example when all of your units are visible in the screenshot). It looks like both Georgian and Roman troops (and their commanders) got useful experience fighting against rebels. I wonder who will oppose them next.

Impressive AAR! I especially like the use of two perspectives to show coordination and independent thought between the two allied kingdoms. Keep it up! Also if I may ask, those models differ from the original SSHIP Byzantine models, where did you acquire them?

Thank you both! And they are just models that I threw together for my personal usage because I thought Caudillo's units were a bit unfitting for the time period.

Chapter VIII: Ankyra

From the writings of Sultan Mes Ud, 1137 AD,

I should have acted, I should have done something… Even though the odds were against us, perhaps if I took all of our forces and surrounded the Romans at Angora, my sons would still be alive. From the reports I have read, my sons were turned over to the enemy by their own soldiers to avoid a massacre. I even offered those dogs peace dammit. I will have my revenge somehow, someday, but for now, I must focus on the defense of Konya, for our enemies will not delay.

From the writings of Alexios Komnenos, 1137 AD,

I honestly expected a fight, but I will take this result any day. The Sultan’s sons were turned over to us by their own men in exchange for their lives, a result that I am more than happy with. After all, none of the surviving soldiers can even return home, seeing as how they’ve been branded traitors by the Sultan in his rage.

My men sacked the city out of anger for having to wait so long outside of Ankyra, but we now spend the winter within its walls. My wife was happy that we were able to resolve the siege “peacefully,” even though the end result was honestly far from that. Men, women and children alike were butchered in the streets when my men were set loose. As deplorable as that may be, I am only thankful that it was not my home and not my people. I know that it could just as easily have happened to us.

My first son was born to me this year, and it has me thinking about the life he’ll have. As much as I hope he has a peaceful life, I really doubt that will ever be the case. I also wish to be there to raise him myself and make sure he becomes the kind of man that he should, but it seems that my duty will always be an obstacle. Watching the streets of Ankyra run red honestly fills me with fear more than it does hope.

From the writings of Manouil Komnenos, 1137 AD,

The city of Ragousion is being surrounded as I write this, their gates blockaded and trees being chopped down for siege towers, ladders and battering rams. There is little they can do now but pray, and I hope they are making good use of their remaining time in doing so. Even all the prayers in the world may not save them from the fate that god has laid before them. I wish not to see their blood spilled, but I haven’t the time to waste in waiting for them to surrender. I have my orders and I will see them through.

Other interesting events:

The Abbasid Caliphate is no more.

Relations between the Hungarians and Romans are beginning to decline.

Chapter IX: The Assault on Ragousion

From the writings of Manouil Komnenos, 1137 AD,

Today is the day… the troops are assembled, the siege engines built, our prayers said. The garrison is only several hundred men, but the walls here are taller than those of Skodra, and much more imposing. The men seem nervous, and although I have a speech prepared, I fear that it will not be enough to lighten their spirits. We all know that not all of us will see out the day.

Battle Report: The Battle of Ragousion

The plan of attack in this siege was to spread the defenders out and make it as difficult as possible to keep the Roman infantry off of the walls. The enemy only has three units of infantry while we have three sets of ladders and one siege tower, so one unit should be able to take a section of wall unopposed and attack the defenders from the rear. A unit of akolouthoi will also take a battering ram down the center and open up the gates so that our cavalry may join the fray.

As the Roman advance begins, the enemy's Albanian archers open fire upon our infantry as they approach. Our kaballarioi horse archers return fire on them, but to little effect since most of it just bounces off of the ramparts.

As the ram approaches the gates, the enemy general elects to sally out and bring the fight to us. He manages to inflict some casualties on our akolouthoi, and holds the gate with only his bodyguard for quite some time.

While this is happening, the combat on the walls is fierce. There is a slight change of plan and the siege tower and a ladder land on the same section of the wall and attack the unit of spearmen attempting to hold it. It doesn’t take the professional Roman skutatoi long to cut through the lightly armed Slavic spearmen and they soon rout.

On the other two walls, the enemy just cedes the ground and retreats back towards the town center without a fight. This allows more of the Roman infantry to just go over the walls and come in behind the enemy general who is still managing to hold the gates, rather heroically.

He soon realizes it is hopeless though and retreats along the road back to the town center with most of his bodyguard unit incapacitated. The defenders rally there around their general, and the fight becomes a street-to-street melee, with Roman forces just cutting their way through the rebel forces slowly.

While this is happening, the stratatoi is flanking the town square from one side and the skutatoi is flanking from the other. Both arrive well in time, and begin attacking the infantry’s rear and the cavalry’s flank respectively.

It isn’t long before the enemy general falls at the hands of a Roman cavalryman and the battle is lost for the rebels.

From the writings of Emperor Ioannis Komnenos, 1137 AD,

I just received word that my son, Manouil, took Ragousion last month and managed to sack it, just as I commanded. He is doing well in his new position as Strategos of the western army, and I believe he will serve his brother well as his leading commander once I am gone. I have received word that relations with our surrounding nations are suffering as a result of our recent conquests, which honestly comes as no surprise. The petty states that have risen across Europe in the vacuum left by the Roman Empire are all jealous guardians of their independence, but I swear right now that I will see them bend the knee once more.

Chapter X: War in the West

From the writings of Basileios Ioannis Komnenos, 1139 AD,

The time has come to test the true metal of Rome. The Serbians must be struck and they must be struck hard, before they have the chance to challenge us. In Italy, Venice seems to have seized most of Northeastern Italy and signed an alliance with the Norman lords of Sicily and Naples. There is no more time to be wasted.

If the Roman territories in the Balkans are not unified quickly, I fear we will find ourselves quite unprepared to face the Italians should they attempt to invade. That being said, I have made the arrangements and sent Manouil his orders. With even the smallest amount of luck, Vrhbosna will prove easy to take and Ras will be ours to seize at will.

From the writings of Manouil Komnenos, 1139 AD,

I wasn’t expecting to have to mobilize my forces so soon, but my father’s instructions were clear. My men haven’t even had a real chance to recover from the last fight, and we are already making preparations to march into hostile territory again. I know that they have the strength to overcome whatever the Serbians will throw at them, but I feel awful asking them to do this so soon. Most of our units aren’t even at full strength again yet.

It’s kind of funny how life works though, it wasn’t even a year ago that I was celebrating my wedding and I thought that I could enjoy peace for a little while. Now I find myself strapping on my greaves and fastening the straps of my armor. Knowing I am going back to war makes my wife very nervous, as she saw what happened when war came to the gates of her city.

She comes from a wealthy and influential Ragusan family that my father thought would be helpful in securing the loyalty of Ragousion, and so far it has been fairly successful. Hers is a dynasty made from trade though, not conquest, and I don’t think she truly understands the life of a soldier. I have no real choice but to do my duty, and although it pains me to leave her so soon after our wedding, I simply must do what I am told.

There is a silver lining though, if anything should happen to me, at least I know that my line will continue, as my wife, Maritza, is already pregnant with our first child… I have been going through names in my head, I think I like Koulianos.

From the writings of Symbasileios Alexios Komnenos, 1139 AD,

I hope the Sultan puts up more of a fight than his sons. Most of the trouble that taking Ankyra proved to create was from attempting to pacify its populace, not actually taking the city. I don’t mind fighting soldiers, I have spent the better part of my life in the field, quelling rebellions and taking the fight to our enemies. It’s funny, but it seems that sometimes an angry mob armed with stones can be infinitely more dangerous than an actual army that is trained to fight. Either way though, Ankyra is no longer my problem as I have received orders to besiege the Turkish capital of Ikonion. May god watch over us.

I marched into Serbian territory about a week ago, and now the town of Vrhbosna is within striking distance. There are no walls so there is no need for a siege, and the main Serbian army is there, just waiting to be wiped out. It’s strange, I know that tomorrow I will have to kill again, but this time my hands are steady.

Battle Report: Battle of Vrhbosna

The plan of attack in this battle was to cut the enemy army in two pieces and to use the terrain, namely the hill in the center of the battlefield to my advantage.

The majority of the enemy’s forces started the battle on the hilltop, with a contingent of their infantry starting behind the hill, further in the town.

I began the battle by using my archers, both horse and foot, to open fire upon the enemy generals at the top of the hill. I was hoping this wood lure them down the hill and into the jaws of my heavy infantry.

This worked to some degree and some of the Serbian heavy infantry charged and was trapped under lots of fire.

The enemy’s forces further in the town meanwhile were trying to come around the hill and lift the pressure on the town center. I used my akolouthoi to block their advance, and being mostly just levy infantry, it didn’t take them long to break.

At this point I was free to advance towards the town square until two of the Serbian generals and their remaining levy infantry charged my forces, temporarily halting me in my place at the hilltop.

I attempted to bring some javelinmen around the mass of forces and flank the enemy, but the Serbian light cavalry noticed this was happening and charged right into them. I did manage to relieve them with my own light cavalry, but it was too late to save most of them.

Even without the flanking forces, it didn’t take long for my heavy infantry and cavalry to kill off the Serbian generals that were hindering us. (they were both named the same thing.)

I attempted to reform my forces before I advanced again, fairly successfully, but the enemy’s final general and the remainder of their forces charged my men, and I was forced to commit to battle once again. Before long the last Serbian general, the heir to the Principality, falls and the battle is won.

Well, we managed to catch the Serbians pretty much by surprise. Their forces were largely unprepared and underequipped, so my men had a huge advantage. Even so, I am proud of the performance of my forces in taking out another nation’s army so handily. I will have to give out extra rations.

In Other News

Aragon bites the dust.

The siege of Bab al-Abwab begins.

1139 AD Map, No FOW

(Before the fall of Vrhbosna.)

Chapter XI: The Assault on Ikonion

The walls of Ikonion are tall, but they will not protect the sultan or his men from the wrath of my soldiers. For the last couple months, we have been busy building siege engines, and today the last of them were finally completed. Tomorrow morning, my men will assault and take the walls. I will see the Sultan’s head on a pike before sunset, god willing.

Battle Report: The Battle of Ikonion

The plan of attack in this battle was simple, just to take the walls with my infantry and knock down the gates to allow the rest of the army in. Once inside, my men are to push for the town square with all speed and kill the sultan and his bodyguard.

The battle begins with my infantry pushing for the walls under enemy fire.

As the siege towers and ladders reach the walls, the Turks just abandon them and leave them to be taken. My men manage to seize the gatehouse without any resistance as they are all too busy retreating for the town square.

While most of the Turkish forces are retreating, their Faris and Turkish horse archers attempt to cover them. They end up charging foolishly into the Saxon Huscarls in the main street leading to the town square.

While the fighting is raging in the main street, the Roman Kataphraktoi and Peltastai are flanking down one of the side streets. On the other side, the Skutatoi and Stratatoi are also attempting to flank the town square.

The Turkish foot archers attempt to stop the Kataphraktoi and Peltastai by charging into them. They end up getting cut off and trapped by the Saxon Huscarls, who by this point have cut their way through all of the Turkish missile cavalry.

The Akolouthoi continue to push forward to the town square with little opposition. Once they reach it, they manage to surround the Turkish archers and Ahdath militia that are holding the square.
    Seeing what is happening, the Sultan charges with his bodyguard and manages to rout a unit of Akolouthoi.

The Roman flanking forces arrive just in time to save the rest of the Akolouthoi from the same fate. The rest of the Roman forces arrive soon after as well.

Before long, the Sultan and his heir are surrounded and it doesn’t take long for him to be unhorsed and killed.

The stack of bodies from the assault is a sight that I fear will haunt me for the rest of my days. I allowed my men to sack the city when we took it, and the death toll is almost fifteen thousand as far as I have been told. That’s without even counting the casualties from the actual battle. There are men, women, children and even their pets just stacked like logs in the street. I’ve instated a mandatory curfew in the city, and the remaining citizens are digging mass graves in shifts to try and get rid of all of the bodies before disease breaks out.

The Sultanate of Rum is no more, as a result of my actions. Their capital city is so quiet, I wonder what it was like before I arrived. Truth be told, I only killed one man in combat, but I feel like I killed all fifteen thousand personally. I know I am responsible, and I wonder if god will ever forgive me for the things that I have done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast