Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Rise of Two Empires - A Romano-Georgian AAR (SSHIP)

Default Re: The Rise of Two Empires - A Romano-Georgian AAR (SSHIP)

Chapter XII: The Assault on Ras

From the writings of Grand Prince Uros, 1140 AD,

The Roman soldiers look like ants from the top of my battlements. I don’t have the men to defend this fortress and I know that, but I care little anymore. My sons were killed, my forces routed, and the kingdom that I worked so hard to build is now vanishing before my very eyes. I wish I were already dead, but god has seen fit to continue my suffering. I suppose that this is really just an opportunity to make this conquest as bloody as possible for my enemies, but I find that I hardly have the energy to even want to kill them.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Battle Report: The Battle of Ras

As the battle begins, the akolouthoi are spread out before the walls with the ladders and the ram, ready to take the fight to the enemy. The rest of the army is just lying in wait. The enemy has their forces arrayed along the walls to begin the battle, with their general in the town center. The makeup of their forces is mostly just Slavic levies (light spearmen), and western style spear militia.

It doesn’t take long for the akolouthoi to reach the walls with the siege equipment. As they do, the enemy immediately pulls their forces back from the walls towards the town square. The unit of spear militia, which had been near the gate ends up getting caught though and is slaughtered by my men.

The rest of the enemy forces pull back to the town square, and the Roman forces take the walls uncontested.

The akolouthoi advance towards the town center and seal the enemy forces in. The toxotai and Kavallarioi then begin firing upon the troops in the square in an attempt to make the Serbian forces attack my men, giving them a defensive advantage.

The enemy takes the bait and charges at the Roman infantry. It is a bloody fight and the Grand Prince himself leads the charge foolishly. It is not long before he falls amidst hundreds of Roman spear points.

The enemy does not surrender though and continues to fight valiantly, prompting Manouil himself to go around push through the enemy spearmen and charge them from behind. After multiple cycle charges from the Roman heavy cavalry, the Slavic spearmen finally collapse and are slaughtered.

From the writings of Manouil Komnenos, 1141 AD,

I cut the head off of the body of the Grand Prince yesterday, and put it on a pike at the gates of the fortress. I feel ashamed of myself for doing such a thing, but I feel that it is better than sacking the castle to maintain order. Uros was a valiant man from what I witnessed, and I feel that he deserved better, but I cannot change what is already done.

Serbia has now been fully annexed though, which means we now may draw troops from this region as well. The empire is clearly on the rise again. I received word just before the assault that my uncle, Isaakios, managed to achieve the surrender of Sevasteia, bringing the northern part of Cappadocia back into our clutches. This was an important city in years past and if we continue achieving great victories in this manner, there is no telling what we may achieve.

Other Events:

Pirates near Epirus are engaged and destroyed.

Combating heresy.
    "The city is fallen and I am still alive." - Constantine XI Palaiologos
    "Beyond all ideas of right and wrong there is a field, I will meet you there." - Rumi

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I am enjoying your AAR, your screenshots and writing are both done well. I am continuing to enjoy your use of different perspectives, for example I feel bad for Crown Prince Uros at the start of Chapter XII.

You are posting updates at a quick pace. I wonder if some readers (who might only visit TWC once a week, at the weekend) might struggle to keep up. You might want to consider creating updates and holding on to them, so that you have a few written but unpublished chapters. When I started my Venice AAR, I was so excited about writing it that I posted chapters every day (or other day) for a while. I noticed that the number of views increased slowly. With other AARs, when I posted one chapter a week, the number of views went higher - spreading your story over a longer period enables more readers to discover your story (and makes it easier to keep up with it). Of course, it's up to you how often you post chapters - if you are enjoying posting chapters frequently and prefer to do that, you don't need to follow my advice.

I hope that you are enjoying your Roman and Georgian campaign - I get the impression that you are a skilled player and worry a bit that you might not find the battles challenging enough. (That might sound like an odd thing to say - as I see it, what sustains an AAR is that the writer enjoys both playing the campaign and writing the AAR. I hope that you are enjoying both the game and the writing, so that this AAR will continue!)

I wonder if you would like to enter this AAR in the next MAARC (the submissions thread for MAARC LXVII should be available later today, after the tie-breaker for MAARC LXVI has finished.)
    Last edited by Alwyn; October 15, 2016 at 06:13 AM.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

I'm glad to see this is still going well. I hope you enjoy writing it as much as I enjoy reading it!

Thank you both, I really appreciate the advice, I have actually been trying to pace myself in how I post chapters. University is also keeping me kinda busy at the moment, so that's another reason that I'm posting at a slower rate which I find allows me to get more content for each post. I'm still enjoying the campaign though, I normally play too quickly and get bored, but since I have to write chapters for all of the major events, I feel that I'm playing more deliberatively. Anyhow, I normally play blitz style campaigns, that's just my play style; the battles can sometimes be a little too easy, but I love medieval 2, and I just try not to abuse the system's weaknesses too much.

Decanus

Just came here to say that, as a fellow Romanophilos, I really appreciate your writings. I really like the use of a double perspective to portray the way two powers, the Romans and the Georgians, naturally inclined to align, try to collaborate and consolidate their role as nations. Although, I, for roleplay's sake, would have tried anything I could to vassallize the Serbias, or keep them alive by offering them ceasefire - doing so one gives them the chance to recover and keep things spicy in the future. It also gives a whole new feeling to the game - roleplaying is a fine way to avoid getting bored by blitzing games.

Anyway, keep these updates coming at whatever pace you find the most appropriate. I'll keep an eye on this!

PS just wanted to point out it would expecially interesting to me to see how Prince Manuel would develope in your AAR, since in mine he was chosen as heir and as such is the current Basileus (as in our timeline!)

Chapter XIII: Pax Romana

From the writings of Manouil Komnenos, 1142 AD,

This past year has been the most peaceful one I have experienced in a long while. I now wait in the one-time capital of Serbia, Arsa, waiting for my next orders. I have commenced several building projects across our newly conquered territory, but beyond this there is not much for me to do other than sign missives and oversee the transition of Serbia back into a Roman Province. My army is also being replenished with fresh troops from Serbia as well, it is all rather dull though to be completely frank. It is not all bad however, my wife is very happy that she has my undivided attention, and we have been trying to conceive again. I don’t think that I was made to be a prince that sits in a palace all day though, I might die of boredom.

Peace on all fronts.

The Western Army is being rebuilt.

But enough complaining, I cannot expect to be entertained at all times I suppose. In unrelated matters, our overwhelming success on all fronts has made my father once again the wealthiest man in Europe, a feat that he is incredibly pleased with. Some part of me feels as though the recent resurgence of the Empire will not be enough to sate him or my brother though. The main Eastern Army is still in Sevasteia to the best of my knowledge, probably doing the same thing as me, and waiting to press further into Anatolia to reclaim our territory there. One curious thing is that my father wrote to me about a month ago telling me he is concerned with the recent growth of our one-time client state, Venice, in Northern Italy and the expansion of Norman power over the Southern Italian Peninsula. I get the feeling that it will not be long before my sword spills blood once more, I just do not know whose.

The Venetians take Genoa.

Construction begins in Sevasteia, despite public order issues.

The Roman Empire is once again the wealthiest faction.

From the writings of Giorgi Bagrationi, Winter 1141 AD,

The cold is piercing, it penetrates our tents and our clothes alike. Fires burn in our camp at all hours while we wait for the capitulation of these steppe dogs. Even as I write this, my hands shake so badly it is almost impossible to keep it in line, I will make these people suffer for their insolence. It is almost unbearable, but I won’t return home in failure. Georgian nationalism is extremely high and I will not be the one to disappoint my father or my people.

Giorgi continues the Siege of Bab al-Abwab.

Other Events:

Pirates blockade Dyrrachion, but are engaged and destroyed by the Roman Navy.

Roman priests come to the aid of the Georgians in converting the population over to Orthodox Christianity.

The Christian minority in Shirvan swells in number to forty five percent.
    Last edited by Ser Gareth; March 11, 2017 at 12:30 PM.
    "Beyond all ideas of right and wrong there is a field, I will meet you there." - Rumi

Chapter IV: Regrouping and Expanding

From the writings of Alexios Komnenos, Winter 1143 AD,

I have left the relative safety of Ikonion with the professional elements of my army. I left Iosaph Dermokaitis there as governor with the task of keeping the peace in my absence. It is a major city, and its large population could prove very problematic if they realize that they could overwhelm the few soldiers left to maintain order. I have every confidence that Dermokaitis will rise to the occasion though, and I have authorized him to raise as many forces from the ranks of the locals as he deems necessary.

I met up with one of my father’s most trusted friends from his youth Konstantinos Angelos at the crossroads between Ankara, Ikonion and Kaisareia. We began to amass troops for an assault on the great fortress of Kaisareia. My spy reported that it had a relatively small garrison, but this apparently was deception, as by the time we were within striking distance, the garrison was approximately doubled. It is no matter though, most of their forces are ill-trained and equipped and should prove little fight for my experienced and heavily armed soldiers. Konstantinos Angelos has taken command of the siege, as he has far more experience with war than me, which is saying a lot since I am by no means a stranger to it.

From the writings of Davit Bagrationi, Winter 1143 AD,

The city of Bab al-Abwab (Derbent) finally surrendered to my brother, and he gave it over to a brutal sacking. His troops entered the city and slaughtered almost a third of its populace, a move that I fully approve of, if I am to be honest, but my father would have apparently preferred if he had occupied it peacefully and allowed it to rebel. He apparently scolded my brother saying that that is not what civilized nations do, but according to Giorgi, we made upwards of twenty thousand florins from the ordeal so I don’t see what the problem is.

Anyhow, I have been sent to replace Giorgi as head of the army, and he is to stay in Derbent as its new governor as unrest is apparently still very high. Unfortunately, much of the army has to stay in the city to maintain order, so we are recruiting all over to replace them. I am to lead this army of recruits to Ani and expel their Turkish lords from their lands. I have yet to experience battle, but I am confident that I will more than match my brother in martial skill.

Other Events:

The Cumans offer the Georgians an Alliance.

The Georgians accept.

Constantinople ravaged by plague.

Bonus: The Battle of the Vardar River Basin (Just rebels, since it’s been a while since I posted a battle.)

From the writings of Andronikos Komnenos, Summer 1146 AD,

I have received orders directly from the Capital, a group of rebels that have positioned themselves across the Vardar River are to be destroyed. They are led by a man named Isidoros, some disgruntled noble from Larissa that thinks he can make a point of raiding Imperial roads and towns. He only has four companies of men accompanying him so it should not prove too much of a challenge for our five, not including my personal bodyguard. I will introduce Isidoros to Imperial justice, something that he has evaded for far too long.

Battle Report: The Battle of the Vardar River Basin
    Andronikos arrays his troops in a fairly conservative manner with archers in the front, spears close behind to prevent an enemy cavalry charge, and swordsmen backing them up in case they prove necessary.

The enemy is hidden to begin the battle, so it remains hidden what the enemy’s companies are composed of other than one unit of light stratatoi cavalry.

Andronikos decides to advance through the forest towards the enemy.

As Andronikos’ forces approach, the enemy moves to reposition on higher ground, revealing a company of toxotai archers and two units of heavy scoutatoi spearmen. Andronikos begins to realize that this battle may not be as easy as he had expected.

Not wishing to expose his mostly light forces to prolonged skirmishing, Andronikos orders his akolouthoi spearmen to charge the enemy line while his archers provide covering fire.

While the akolouthoi hold the enemy scoutatoi in place, Andronikos uses a company of tzakones swordsmen to flank their line on their right hand side.

Andronikos then circumvents this along with his bodyguard and charges the enemy general. The second unit of tzakones also rounds the left side of the enemy line and charges the enemy cavalry as they attempt to flee from Andronikos.

The enemy general manages to break free with most of his cavalry intact, but is pursued by Andronikos and his bodyguard. Andronikos finds himself outnumbered and outmatched by Isidoros’ cavalrymen, and is forced to detach from battle to prevent his own demise and an embarrassing defeat for the Empire at the hands of mere brigands.

Isidoros and leads his archers and his remaining cavalry to charge the back of the tzakones that had attempted to seal him in earlier, and were now attacking the rear of the scoutatoi ranks. Realizing that a double envelopment was occurring, Andronikos charges the flank of the archers and cavalry, causing Isidoros to retreat.

At the sight of their leader retreating, the enemy line collapses and even the hardened and disciplined scoutatoi run for their lives. Isidoros realizes that the fight is futile, and chooses to abandon the field rather than die the traitor’s death he has earned.

Although he escapes with a handful of cavalrymen, his infantry are not so lucky…

Last edited by Ser Gareth; March 11, 2017 at 12:32 PM.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

It's good to see this back.

I probably need to re-read some of the earlier chapters to really remember what's going on, but I am already interested by the more recent events, so I'll look forward to more updates while I try to remind myself of the history!

Decanus

Nice updates! I like the way you describe how making war, being a brutal and ruthless activity, poses moral questions to which someone might not always answer in the most human way - for example, about the sack of Derbend, which sure was a bloody affair, but allowed Georgia to fill its coffers pretty easily.

Hope the plague and Kaisareia's siege turn in the Empire's best interests!

Thank you both, glad you're still enjoying it, and that I could find some free time to continue it.

Also, Roman Heritage I am currently reading your latest chapter , it's great so far!
    Last edited by Ser Gareth; March 16, 2017 at 03:57 PM.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

great just great
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

Good updates, the Battle of Vardar River Basin is well done, with well-chosen screenshots and helpful insight into the tactical thinking of Andronikos and Isidoros. When I saw the commander's expectation that the battle "it should not prove too much of a challenge", I wondered if it would turn out to be a harder fight than he anticipated!

Ser Gareth, may I ask what mod you are using for this AAR? I really like the way the Byzantine units look. It looks like SSHIP but the Byzantine skins look different. Is this an earlier version perhaos?

Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12