Thread: EDU: what is the effect of can_formed_charge ?

Default EDU: what is the effect of can_formed_charge ?

This was probably answered already, but in the only EDU tutorial I could find for MTW2 this was the only explanation:

can_formed_charge – The unit can form up and charge, like Mailed Knights.
    Which is not very helpful. So what does this attribute actually do (if anything)?

I made some test but could not observe any differences in charging behavior for between units with and without can_formed_charge.

Side question: the only effect of the "knight" attribute is to control which unit gets certain xp bonus by buildings, right?
    And "heavy_cavalry_bonus" is the relevant building effect, correct?

Default Re: EDU: what is the effect of can_formed_charge ?

Formed charge from what I can tell forces the units to attempt to keep the speed of the slowest unit, hence landing the charge in neatly packed lines. From my testing can_formted_charge increases the casualties the charge inflicts because the tighter formation is able to strike deeper into the enemy units with better order.

Ah, is this because once the first charging soldier hits the enemy a timer starts limiting the duration for which the charge bonus counts, right? And if the unit charges in unison the bonus will effectively last longer for more soldiers.

In that sense if a charge is carefully conducted a unit without can_formed_charge will achieve comparable results to a unit with can_formed_charge. But in other situations when the unit is disordered when you issue the charge the unit with can_formed_charge will preform better. Or something like that.

Thanks for the heads up anyway

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

I'd like to recall the question of Rabenrecht (not answered):
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabenrecht View Post
    the only effect of the "knight" attribute is to control which unit gets certain xp bonus by buildings, right?
    And "heavy_cavalry_bonus" is the relevant building effect, correct?
    And also ask the following conclusion is still thought true by the community:

can_formed_charge = forces the unit to keep the speed of the slower soldier, hence landing the charge in neatly packed lines; this increases the casualties the charge inflicts because once the first charging soldier hits the enemy a timer starts limiting the duration for which the charge bonus counts