Thread: rome total war barbarian invasion has stopped working

Default rome total war barbarian invasion has stopped working

I installed this mod a few days ago and tried a campaign with the Dwarves and it worked fine. I then tried another campaign with the Elves and had a few minor crashes. Now the games keeps crashing over and over again,about every 5-10 minutes. I've tried rebooting and new games,nothing seems to work. I also tried running it in Windows XP compability mode and that seemed to slow the crashes down somewhat,but they still occur. This bug may not be due to this mod,but still,any help on fixing it would be appreciated.

Default Re: rome total war barbarian invasion has stopped working

Hmm, I don't think I've heard of this type of problem before.

What are the circumstances of the crashes? Is it only during battle, or on the campaign map, or during the transition between battle & campaign? (Were there any trolls present?)
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

There were no trolls present. It always happens either during the loading from the campaign map to the battle map,or leaving the battle map and going back to the campaign map.
    I've looked for relevant crash files that may help in determining the exact cause of the problem,but none seem to exist. I did incorrectly run FATW without going through Steam and received the "horde_min_units": This feature is not supported" error message,and also had a virus warning on the intital download of FATW,which I fixed by disabling my virus checker,but as I said,it initially worked fine for the most part.
    Last edited by Michael11; September 26, 2016 at 03:30 AM.

I believe there are significant vanilla problems with memory leakage. There are a few different ways I have seen suggested to work around this problem. I would advise doing a search for them. My personal habit is to make lots of save points, particularly before and after battles.

That appears to have mostly fixed the problem.It still crashes sometimes,but not nearly as much as before,but I thought the last patch was supposed to have fixed the memory leak problem.

It appears that the error was due to the game not playing well with my multi-core system,so I had to use the "Set Affinity" command to
    get it to only use one core,if anyone else encounters this problem.
    Last edited by Michael11; October 09, 2016 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Updated Situation

So I started to have this issue with the game a week or 2 ago. But it was only happening every couple hours or so of game play. I thought it might have had something to do with the fact I was using an old install from a hard drive I had to scrap after getting a new one. I had used a no-cd crack because I had lost my disk. So I bought the game from steam (it is well worth the $10 to rebuy the game), did a new install, and installed the FATW mod on the new Steam install. I was still having a little bit of an issue (when fighting trolls specifically, idk why) but it seamed as long as I didn't leave the game running while I went and did something else (a bad habit I have sometimes) it was fine otherwise. This morning I started to play and started fighting a battle in Emyn Arnem with Harad attacking it. Everything works fine for a while and then when the 3rd set of troops start to climb the ladders it would give me the stop working message. I looked on this thread and tried the "set affinity" to just one core and it still didn't work on that battle. So I used the console to do the auto win (I was easily winning the battle all 4 times before it closed out) and continued on. I fought a couple more open field battles and it seamed to be ok, then I started another one up by Lastbridge and it did it again (I think due to the trolls in this one). Anyone have any ideas?

I remember that setting graphics to 16 bit helped me overcome the troll crashes. It doesn't work for everyone. 3.3 will have new troll models, so I hope that will get rid of the troll problem.

Setting to 16 bit did help a lot, it doesn't happen as often anymore, but it still seams to like to happen when loading back into the campaign map from a battle. It doesn't happen at any particular place, and not after a set number of battles. Is there some other setting I can change, maybe on the campaign side that will stop this?

Is anti-aliasing turned off? I think that's recommended, but I don't expect it'll have much of an impact in your case.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Quote Originally Posted by qjfreak1 View Post
    Setting to 16 bit did help a lot, it doesn't happen as often anymore, but it still seams to like to happen when loading back into the campaign map from a battle. It doesn't happen at any particular place, and not after a set number of battles. Is there some other setting I can change, maybe on the campaign side that will stop this?
    What sort of platform are you using? I was using a laptop, and when the system was running very hot, due to recording, I was getting frequent crashes at the end of battles.