Thread: Mounted Archery Ranges vs Infantry Archer Ranges

Matmannen's Avatar Ordinarius

Icon5 Mounted Archery Ranges vs Infantry Archer Ranges

I discovered that cavalry archers have far longer range then infantry archers, like what gives? Mounted archers already have the mobility bonus, why do they alse ge the range bonus?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

SinisterOmen's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Mounted Archery Ranges vs Infantry Archer Ranges

Interesting. I don't remember that, but you're right. Mounted archers shouldn't have the damage nor the range superiority, especially if you compare them to longbowmen. I'm assuming it's a balance issue that they'll tweak eventually.
    If you can't stand it right now, you could edit the values yourself, should be relatively easy to do.

Default Re: Mounted Archery Ranges vs Infantry Archer Ranges

That's a bit misleading. The difference is in the bows the two units are using.

Eastern/nomad/hunnic bows are at 170 for mounted archers and 175 for foot. They also have a greater damage output than others. Western/Barbarian bows, however, are at 165. There are no "longbows" in 400s Europe, especially not the professionally-made English longbow. They're just normal self bows that don't have a lot of power. And therefore it makes sense that European tactics of this time favored the shield wall over skirmishing. I don't think German self bows should outperform the Hunnic bow, that just wouldn't make sense.