Thread: CTD in Kingdoms on loading siege battles (Unspecified Error) - (Solution)

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Default CTD in Kingdoms on loading siege battles (Unspecified Error) - (Solution)

Hi,

Had this problem for about 2 weeks, searched alot of the forums but couldn't find the solution until seeing a post in the comments of a youtube video which hinted towards it. After trying it my issue got solved so I thought I'd also share it here.

When playing M2TW:Kingdoms and starting a siege battle, I experienced the issue that Kingdoms would Crash to Desktop with this error (probably known to you ): "Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit".

The cause was the order in which I installed and updated M2TW and Kingdoms.

This was the wrong Installation Order:

-M2TW
    -Kingdoms (because I believed Kingdoms would automatically update M2TW to Version 1.4)
    -1.5 Patch

After a reinstall, this order solved the problem for me:

-M2TW
    -1.2 Patch
    -1.3 Patch
    -Kingdoms (1.4)
    -1.5 patch

Please note that I own the retail(NON-GOLD) version. So this probably doesn't apply to GOLD or STEAM users. Which shouldn't be able to have this issue.

Still hope it helps.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: CTD in Kingdoms on loading siege battles (Unspecified Error) - (Solution)

Thanks for sharing.

Non gold versions need to be patched to 1.3 before installing kingdoms (which upgrades to 1.4). If in doubt about your version install only M2TW and then check the version by going into options - the number is at the top right. Please note that it will say (for example) 1.03 instead of 1.3

I have always been under the impression that the 1.3 patch is an upgrade of 1.2, eg that it includes 1.2 - but it won't hurt to install 1.2 first. NEVER install 1.1 - it's not upgradeable and you will have to re-install.

You are correct that the problem will not affect Gold or Steam, both are patched already. I can't confirm if Gold's kingdom install is patched to 1.5 but I would assume so.
    Last edited by Gigantus; September 24, 2016 at 10:54 PM.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Default Re: CTD in Kingdoms on loading siege battles (Unspecified Error) - (Solution)

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Thanks for sharing.

Non gold versions need to be patched to 1.3 before installing kingdoms (which upgrades to 1.4). If in doubt about your version install only M2TW and then check the version by going into options - the number is at the top right. Please note that it will say (for example) 1.03 instead of 1.3

I have always been under the impression that the 1.3 patch is an upgrade of 1.2, eg that it includes 1.2 - but it won't hurt to install 1.2 first. NEVER install 1.1 - it's not upgradeable and you will have to re-install.

You are correct that the problem will not affect Gold or Steam, both are patched already. I can't confirm if Gold's kingdom install is patched to 1.5 but I would assume so.
    my version of gold was always 1.4 but it could be that newers disks include the 1.5 patch
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Blog Entries

I assume (I got one of those disks that still came with a sound track CD) Gold also includes the Kingdoms campaigns? Then it has to be patched to 1.4 at least.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    I assume (I got one of those disks that still came with a sound track CD) Gold also includes the Kingdoms campaigns? Then it has to be patched to 1.4 at least.
    I dont understand what you mean kingdoms is standard set to 1.4 atleast on my dics
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Blog Entries

Bad phrasing, sorry. I was trying to say that I am assuming that "If Gold comes with the Kingdoms campaigns then it will already be (completely) patched to 1.4"