Thread: Some comments/suggestions on my first game

Default Some comments/suggestions on my first game

I know this mod is dead now but I was curious about it. I have played the old KOEI RTKs before and had some nostalgia. I thank the dev for their hard work, and, just in case they still care, I have a few comments, hoping they can help improve in the next version

1. The scale of the campaign map seems a little small. It feels so "regional", not "continental". I always need to zoom in on the campaign map when I play this mod.

2. How come you can walk right through these walls on the map (in the north)?

3. The small scale is exacerbated by the number of stacks that everybody is fielding, giving the easy money (I play H/H). For my first game, I just set myself in the NE corner and observed the AI, and boy, is this a crowded place or what! After just 50 turns, there are stacks everywhere! It's hard to fight a battle without reinforcements coming in.

4. I attacked Bei Ping and the map was beautiful! But are all large city maps the same?

5. In the city map, why is it that there is no way from the walls except by walking down through the gates?

6. There is a tile next to the city north east of Bei Ping (forgot the name) where, in battle, both sides get stuck in their deployment area because of impassable mountains and can't fight each other. I had to wait for the battle to time out. I am sure it happens frequently in mountainous areas. I have seen this bug in Stainless Steel 6.4 too, to be fair.

7. Why are the spies so incompetent? They start out with very small success percentage. They can't infiltrate cities anymore.

8. So far, my scholars haven't improved on their ability. Do they at all?

9. Having played the KOEI series, I hate it when the enemy generals die. I like to collect the most talented generals in the empire. Can't they have high hit point and get caught instead? Instead of ransom/release/execute, have something like ransom/release/recruit or recruit/release/execute. There could be some probability that they refuse the offer and "escape" or become a "free general" that I can hire (if they don't have high loyalty in the first place).

10. Missiles are pretty accurate/damaging. I can stop a charging infantry unit with a line of archers/crossbows. I guess if it wasn't for this damage, I could not fight 2 stacks with one as frequently.

11. BAI seems decent as it would seek higher ground. However, it doesn't attack my main line in a concerted effort. If it loses its cavalry, it will try to chase my cavalry with their infantry units. It doesn't wait for reinforcements.

12. All these army stacks on the campaign map should be more aggressive. It would solve the overcrowding problem. I had one stack on a bridge and Gongsun Zan had 2-3. It didn't attack until I removed some units from my stack.

13. The AI doesn't stack up its boats. Engagements are rarely decisive, even when I outnumber them 4:1. So the AI can keep harassing me again and again with small stacks.

14. With my current faction in the extreme NE corner, I had no problem with money. In fact, I rank 20th for military power but second for financial. I have to try a more "central" faction later to see if that's typical.

15. I have destroyed the Wuwan field army and killed its leader, at high cost. Will it regrow and pose a threat again or just stay in their city now?

Thanks for reading the long post. Wish everyone many heroic victories. And this mod revived.

Hanti's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Some comments/suggestions on my first game

Quote Originally Posted by alpharomeo View Post
    I know this mod is dead now (...)

6. There is a tile next to the city north east of Bei Ping (forgot the name) where, in battle, both sides get stuck in their deployment area because of impassable mountains and can't fight each other. I had to wait for the battle to time out. I am sure it happens frequently in mountainous areas. I have seen this bug in Stainless Steel 6.4 too, to be fair.

10. Missiles are pretty accurate/damaging. I can stop a charging infantry unit with a line of archers/crossbows. I guess if it wasn't for this damage, I could not fight 2 stacks with one as frequently.

Thanks for reading the long post. Wish everyone many heroic victories. And this mod revived.

I think this mod is not dead but finished. Of course there can be improvements if one wishes to do them.

About 6: maybe it will be wise to decrease max_land_height by 3k (to 3883.949 from 6883.949)?

About 10: I've added +1 hp to all units (so 212 now have 2 hp and 174 now have 3 hp and no unit have 1 hp). This makes missiles no more so overpowered. But it's my usual solution to all mods.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanti View Post
    About 6: maybe it will be wise to decrease max_land_height by 3k (to 3883.949 from 6883.949)?

About 10: I've added +1 hp to all units (so 212 now have 2 hp and 174 now have 3 hp and no unit have 1 hp). This makes missiles no more so overpowered. But it's my usual solution to all mods.
    Which files did you change for (6) and for (10)?

Agree. Not "dead". The development has stopped, the postings are few, but it is fully playable, with plenty of adrenaline during those huge battles.
    Last edited by alpharomeo; September 19, 2016 at 04:20 PM.

Hanti's Avatar Semisalis

Medieval II Total War\mods\Three_Kingdoms\data\world\maps\base\ here

a) remove\delete map.rwm
    b) edit descr_terrain.txt or use my file (copy it over orginal)

Medieval II Total War\mods\Three_Kingdoms\data\ here

edit yourself or replace export_descr_unit.txt with my file (copy it over orginal)

example :HP is stat_health x, y (add +1 to all x, so stat_health 1, 1 will be stat_health 2, 1 etc)

Cool. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by alpharomeo View Post
    I know this mod is dead now but I was curious about it. I have played the old KOEI RTKs before and had some nostalgia. I thank the dev for their hard work, and, just in case they still care, I have a few comments, hoping they can help improve in the next version

1. The scale of the campaign map seems a little small. It feels so "regional", not "continental". I always need to zoom in on the campaign map when I play this mod.

2. How come you can walk right through these walls on the map (in the north)?

3. The small scale is exacerbated by the number of stacks that everybody is fielding, giving the easy money (I play H/H). For my first game, I just set myself in the NE corner and observed the AI, and boy, is this a crowded place or what! After just 50 turns, there are stacks everywhere! It's hard to fight a battle without reinforcements coming in.

4. I attacked Bei Ping and the map was beautiful! But are all large city maps the same?

5. In the city map, why is it that there is no way from the walls except by walking down through the gates?

7. Why are the spies so incompetent? They start out with very small success percentage. They can't infiltrate cities anymore.

8. So far, my scholars haven't improved on their ability. Do they at all?

9. Having played the KOEI series, I hate it when the enemy generals die. I like to collect the most talented generals in the empire. Can't they have high hit point and get caught instead? Instead of ransom/release/execute, have something like ransom/release/recruit or recruit/release/execute. There could be some probability that they refuse the offer and "escape" or become a "free general" that I can hire (if they don't have high loyalty in the first place).

11. BAI seems decent as it would seek higher ground. However, it doesn't attack my main line in a concerted effort. If it loses its cavalry, it will try to chase my cavalry with their infantry units. It doesn't wait for reinforcements.

12. All these army stacks on the campaign map should be more aggressive. It would solve the overcrowding problem. I had one stack on a bridge and Gongsun Zan had 2-3. It didn't attack until I removed some units from my stack.

13. The AI doesn't stack up its boats. Engagements are rarely decisive, even when I outnumber them 4:1. So the AI can keep harassing me again and again with small stacks.

14. With my current faction in the extreme NE corner, I had no problem with money. In fact, I rank 20th for military power but second for financial. I have to try a more "central" faction later to see if that's typical.

15. I have destroyed the Wuwan field army and killed its leader, at high cost. Will it regrow and pose a threat again or just stay in their city now?

I agree with some things, however the stack spam is greatly reduced later on. Also the money problem is opposite if you play a faction stuck in the middle of the map.