Thread: Questions about medieval warfare

Default Questions about medieval warfare

Hello guys,

As you may all love medieval era, i have a real question about european knight vs arabic infantry.

So, if i'm right, european knights wear a chainmail, a no sharped sword (to break ennemy armor) and a dagger (to finish the ennemy on the weak points of an armor)
    An arabic warrior wear light chainmail, a slaching saber and a shield.

For me arabic infantry has no chance to kill an european knight because the slashing saber has simply no effect against a knight armor.
    As i suppose that an european army was not better than an arabic one, how it was in reality?

In advance, thank you for your answer!
    Last edited by General Grievous; September 17, 2016 at 01:32 PM.

M.A.E's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Questions about medieval warfare

Arabian infantry (swordsmen) used to maneuver the crusader knights then hitting them in there weak points ( Below the neck - Smashing the head-The Upper parts of the back of armors it will break the armor robes) , but the European knights used to concentrate the speedy and light Arabian infantry then smash them in concentric points
    however if we talk to balance in the open desert Arabian infantry is the best due to maneuverability and European knights is better in the narrow points and castle sieges

Ltd.'s Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by General Grievous View Post
    Hello guys,

As you may all love medieval era, i have a real question about european knight vs arabic infantry.

So, if i'm right, european knights wear a chainmail, a no sharped sword (to break ennemy armor) and a dagger (to finish the ennemy on the weak points of an armor)

For me arabic infantry has no chance to kill an european knight because the slashing saber has simply no effect against a knight armor.
    As i suppose that an european army was not better than an arabic one, how it was in reality?

This is a rather complex issue.

Generally speaking you don´t have to defeat the armor itself, but the gaps or body parts where there is no armor or lighter armor. If you could just defeat even maille with a sword, noone would have worn them, manufactured them, paid for them etc. But people have worn maille for hundreds of years. Armour did work against weapons. Plate armor is even more difficult to defeat.

Middle Eastern soldiers did not always carry sabres, that is just a stereotype and that also heavily depends on the period we are talking about. Also, they did use straight swords a lot and they also used heavy or heavier maille, so it is wrong to assume that a western european knight would easily or always defeat a saracen ( using this term for simplicity´s sake) soldier of similar rank and wealth (to create balance).

Crusader armies did suffer defeats, knights too were killed during crusades or in other conflicts etc.

All this is of course a very very simplistic and generalizing view, but I guess one can put it like this: the outcome of battles did depend on a huge number of factors, like number of troops, their experience, leadership of the commanding officer, availability of food, rest, the presence of illness, but also weather, tactics, etc .

Hello guys,

not every arabian infrantry worn light mail,they also worn heavy scale armors,or very heavy plate armors,their weapons were vast,from dagger to the famous damacus steel blade that cut through heavy mail like dead meat or veavy axe,halberd,etc...in the hight to late medieval period, they lacked good armor like cuirasses that somewhat useless againt firearm...

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Superquan View Post
    to the famous damacus steel blade that cut through heavy mail like dead meat
    Sources?
    With the Rest of your Post, I totally agree.

not true.
    Every sword was sharp since its purpose was to either stab or cut/slash the enemy.
    Swords however cannot break armor or cut throught it,especially plate armor.

Armor-piercing weapons would be the lances, pikes,pole-weapons or warhammers.