Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1600 Expanded Sub-Mod

Default Re: 1600 Expanded Sub-Mod

On playing some more, im really impressed here. I play with approx 300men units and the 30 unit mod, so big battles. I would leave cannons be, there are fine, Cavalry seems underpowered! the small units have little effect i find but are ok though. I love the close formations and the fact Pikes walk every where..well done. The battles on the whole are excellent.

Biggest Problem with ETW and this mod is the now ancient and lacklustre Campaign map.....SO wish we could import the models to the Atilla map, change the regions names and have a large map with lots of regions..

Here is an update for you guys. This adds some more features and NTW graphics now. I recommend setting unit size now to medium now by the way.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/bqdjkh...r+included.zip

Thank you so much for this submod, I just got your update and everything is running really well. I was wondering though, are cavalry still effective despite their small unit sizes? When I tried using them, the melee cavalry only seemed effective at fighting ranged cavalry and musketeers, the ranged cavalry only seemed effective at shooting into pike blocks (and even that doesn't do much because of the small unit sizes), and dragoons don't even really have a use because they can't go toe-to-toe even with arquebus militia. Is there a way to increase the unit sizes of cavalry a bit?

Yeah there is, a tedious process but is possible. I am surprised that melee cav is not doing well, its charge bonus should've made up for it. Also for ranged cav, I might be able to make it so that the pistols have a quicker reload time to make up for the accuracy and numbers.

Well, the melee cavalry is doing well, just against ranged infantry and cavalry. I think that for dedicated ranged cavalry like harquebusiers a buff could be used, but pistoliers and other melee cavalry with ranged weapons don't really need it. The really useless ones are the dragoons, like I said above they don't have a use except for as melee cavalry because they lose ranged combats with regular infantry.

Could you adjust upkeep to be slightly higher and add artillery? And also delete from campaign those 18th century units that brake immersion. Also I think you should add to your submod pack the pack with 17th century naval force, i.e. 17th century ships. At the beginning of campaign in startpos there are still 18th century ships so we need realistic fleets with ships from the 17th century right from the beginning. What do you say to all of this? With those changes this submod would become essential and ultimate for the real 1600's feeling. These tight formations and that volley firing drill are completely on place and in tone with the game. 3 rank volleys were used by the Gustav Adolph's Swedes against cavalry attacks in 30 years war. So am I on point or not? Especially when it comes to arty.

@Gustav Mahler: That is strange, I thought there was already 17th century models for the ships by the original dev. Also yes I will increase the upkeep costs of the units and add more artillery in a single unit if I can. I was thinking about making a custom unit of light artillery that would accompany the pike and musketeer lines. Also by 18th century units, mind naming me some? I would like to be precise and not remove any unit that may be liked. Thank you for your info by the way

@GideonAl: Thanks for the info, I will look into making dragoons have a buff.

oh been thinking about removing pike wall formation. The formation is basically bugged and the pike men do just as well without it. Does anyone mind this?

I always really liked the look of the pike wall, but if it's better gameplay-wise then I'd be fine giving it up considering Empires reliability. What is bugged about it?

when enabled, the ranks have to space each other out to because of the tight ranks. Plus the time it will take for the officer to get to one side of the pikewall is increased due to the amount of men in a unit.

Ok, I for one think it's an acceptable sacrifice.
    Last edited by GideonAI; October 06, 2016 at 06:43 PM.

could you also add a new faction? like Denmark maybe?

Denmark should be playable. I basically made every faction playable except for maybe a few.

Nope Denmark is not playable. Could you add them to the grand campagin?

oops braaaiin farrt here. put the ESF in the wrong folder. sorry Yay Denmark is playable! thank you so much!

Having the fog of war bug. also i think there's something wrong with the recruitment. pikemen should take two turns to recruit? they do with sweden. had a couple of units turning into line infantry after a turn? ;P could you look into this please?

a couple of pikemen turning into line infantry*

I dont really know what to do about that tbh. Its been a problem before this submod was made.

okay i see. its allright, getting used to the fog issue The issue with the pikemen seems to go away after a few turns besides this i am really enjoying my Denmark campaign! Im beginning to like this old game again lol. By the way, is there a way i could turn the upkeep back to the original costs? It is a little too easy right now i think thanks

I noticed about the upkeep problem, I tried fixing it with this patch but it seems it didn't work. I will look into the problem.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast