Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Lords be able to dismount in battle?

Default Should Lords be able to dismount in battle?

I just feel it would be be a good idea to allow any mounted Lords such as; Karl Franz, Mannfred, Kazhrak etc to dismount in battles and fight on foot if they so wish. Imagine having Deathclaw and Karl Franz fighting Mannfred and his zombie dragon individually! Might not be balanced but it would be an incrdible sight in battle.

Default Re: Should Lords be able to dismount in battle?

*Khazrak

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

not getting done by CA ATM
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Any idea if it's within modding capability?

I agree, Its very annoying to have you lonely General beeing chased by hordes of terrorgeists because he cannot land and be defended by his pikemen ... Makes no sense.

------CONAN TRAILER--------
    RomeII Realistic Heights mod
    Arcani
    I S S G A R D
    Creator of Ran no Jidai mod
    Creator of Res Gestae
    Original Creator of severall add ons on RTW from grass to textures and Roman Legions
    Oblivion Modder- DUNE creator
    Fallout 3 Modder
    2005-2006 Best modder , skinner , modeler awards winner.
    actually modding skyrim [/SIZE]

Another good point

Quote Originally Posted by TorqueSkeptic View Post
    I just feel it would be be a good idea to allow any mounted Lords such as; Karl Franz, Mannfred, Kazhrak etc to dismount in battles and fight on foot if they so wish. Imagine having Deathclaw and Karl Franz fighting Mannfred and his zombie dragon individually! Might not be balanced but it would be an incrdible sight in battle.
    It wouldn't feel like WH when Karl Franz would dismount from Deathclaw to fight on foot.

But from not WH perspective but TW perspective
    It would be nice to have more options on the other side the question is if it wouldn't cause more problems to have this option back than continue without this option.

Pro
    - It would give us more tactical options.
    - Siege Battles would benefit from this option.

Against
    - Many people are already complainig a lot that the game is to easy, with the option to dismount it would become more easy.
    - You don't have to live with bad army setups because you can dismount. So the decision between more knights or more footsoldiers wouldn't really matter anymore.
    - It would become more difficult to balance the game, against knights you got spearmen against dismounted knights you need armor piercing units which are often not available in low tier/early game
    - I guess the AI wouldn't be able to handle the dismount option in a good way and than people would start to complain about stupid AI not useing the dismount correctly.
    - Thinking Back to Shogun I guess 99% of the battles you used the dismount feature had been siege battles.
    - Dismount was already removed from the Game in Rome 2 and Attila

I think it was stated in another topic that the option to dismount is not even moddable since it was completly removed from this version of game, and also previous titles?
    Moreover WH-wise it wouldn't make much sense to let them leave their precious mount, and forces us to choose beforehand the setup of the general.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Chlodwig I. View Post
    - Dismount was already removed from the Game in Rome 2 and Attila

Dismount is still an option in Rome 2 and Attila.

I think that the main problem is not the balance thing, but rather the fact that you would need unique dismount animation for all units using it, which would take quite some time to do for something that would not have been used that often.
    Last edited by KAM 2150; September 15, 2016 at 03:03 AM.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Im completely whatever about dismounting since I can never see myself using it. However a ground/air toggle for flying creatures should be a thing. Mostly as Prom pointed out so flying lords can shelter from the roaming bretonian "death squads" in multi amongst their own men.

I dont think theres a point in dissmounting. I rarely use more than 2 cavalry units. The benefits you get from it are minimal and the lords can get off their mounts before sieges. I dont see the point though if your dude is flying. Its much more useful in sieges. As for multiplayer i couldt care less.

Maybe not go as far as allowing units of knights to dismount, but I definitely feel that the incorporation of this option would mean I'd use Khazrak 's chariot more often, as well as the boar mounts that the orcs use.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

To be fair alowing lords to dismount from their mounts so both could fight would just mean there would be no reason not to dismount.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    To be fair alowing lords to dismount from their mounts so both could fight would just mean there would be no reason not to dismount.
    What if only the Lord was allowed to engage in combat?
    Edit: say if non unique mounts such as warhorse, boar, giant spider etc. could be killed, perhaps extend that to normal knights too? (x% chance they survive if their mount is killed)
    Last edited by TorqueSkeptic; September 15, 2016 at 11:50 AM.

Even if it was added, it probably wouldn't be available to Bretonnia's knight units - in their culture, fighting on horseback is the only way for a Knight to fight.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Well, if they have no choice, they do fight on foot ;P But like you said, they would not dismount unless they had to, like to fight in a city.

I still remember a short story called "Dedication", published in one of Warhammer Monthly comics. It started with lonely Bretonnian knight saying his prayers, he was not afraid as his devotion to the Bretonnia was absolute, then he puts on his helmet, opens the doors, showing ravaging hordes of Chaos, he charges them without hesitation.

EDIT: Found it!

https://i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/034...9712487021.jpg
    https://i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/034...9712612225.jpg
    https://i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/034...9712849669.jpg
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

I think they'd be pretty reluctant to dismount even for a city fight, only doing so if they had to go into a narrow alley or a building (and, odds are, most of them would rather leave it to the peasants than do it themselves unless the building's a castle or the like).

Absolutely they should be able to. I don't mount most of my Lords because I prefer to see them fighting and leading on foot. I find it ridiculous how someone(or something depending on the faction) is able to knock down dozens of people in a single strike, cast powerful spells, and basically be a force of nature, but can't even get their ass off their mount.

Also, while I'm not near as update on the fluff as a lot of other people, one of the things that seems to be a major part of the Warhammer Universe is one on one duels between the major characters. The tabletop game even gives some characters special "duelist" traits that allows them to "challenge" an enemy to one on one combat. It kind of defeats that if no one can even get off their horses or dragons or gryphons to do a proper duel.

It would also be pretty badass depending on the situation. Say a lord or LL is on a dragon or flying mount, they should be able to jump off and do a cool animation where they attack as they land(should also do a hero landing) and then start fighting on foot while the mount can be controlled separately.

At the very least there should at least be a feature where if a lord is on a mount and then after they take so much damage, then they should fall off, especially if they're routing. I think it would be pretty cool seeing someone on their flying dragon or whatever, then they get hit hard with a targeted spell like a fireball or even artillery and their mount crashes to the ground only to have them pop back up on foot to continue the fight or run away. Maybe at like 25% health they should get knocked off.

In Shogun or Rome it would be redicolous to have such a General but it is Warhammer the Generals and Hero should work exactly in that way.

That fall from the Flying Mount sounds cool, but that would be a lot of work to do for CA just for no real benefit in the Game but some cool animations.

Quote Originally Posted by Beas7ie View Post
    Absolutely they should be able to. I don't mount most of my Lords because I prefer to see them fighting and leading on foot. I find it ridiculous how someone(or something depending on the faction) is able to knock down dozens of people in a single strike, cast powerful spells, and basically be a force of nature, but can't even get their ass off their mount.

Also, while I'm not near as update on the fluff as a lot of other people, one of the things that seems to be a major part of the Warhammer Universe is one on one duels between the major characters. The tabletop game even gives some characters special "duelist" traits that allows them to "challenge" an enemy to one on one combat. It kind of defeats that if no one can even get off their horses or dragons or gryphons to do a proper duel.

It would also be pretty badass depending on the situation. Say a lord or LL is on a dragon or flying mount, they should be able to jump off and do a cool animation where they attack as they land(should also do a hero landing) and then start fighting on foot while the mount can be controlled separately.

At the very least there should at least be a feature where if a lord is on a mount and then after they take so much damage, then they should fall off, especially if they're routing. I think it would be pretty cool seeing someone on their flying dragon or whatever, then they get hit hard with a targeted spell like a fireball or even artillery and their mount crashes to the ground only to have them pop back up on foot to continue the fight or run away. Maybe at like 25% health they should get knocked off.
    In the TT game it is not a special trait, rather a specific action every hero/Lord or even unit commanders can use and that is to "challenge" the rival to a 1 on 1 duel in which they are virtually immune to everything else happening outside. I remember an old game Mark of Chaos had the feature in game battles to create these sort of 1 one 1. thing is in the TT mount and lord are 1, they each have their stats and HP but for movement purpose they are one. if happens that the lord dies, there is a roll dice chart in which you must check the reaction of the mount (leaves the battle, stay still and defend the lord corpse or even go on a rampage against the enemy.

My guess regarding the TW game is that other than less thing to program for the devs and the AI to handle, they won't include this option because then you will need to worry about what to do with the mount we the lord dismounts: -you let the mount fight alone? why gift a free unit and go 21 against 20, not to mention that this free unit can be a chariot or a horse, but can also be a Terrogheist..or when the lord dismounts the mount leaves the battle, well what a disappointment it would be. IT is probably for the best if they stay 1 single unit.

I meant to ask a while ago this, talking about mounts, but I recall noticing that while using Manfredd on Terrorgheist he seems to give his skill tree bonuses to only flying units, meanwhile the plebs on the ground are not affected by him, like is some sort of division between flying and ground unit, is this correct or am I just mistaken?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast