Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any serious, good competition to CA?

Primicerius

Default Any serious, good competition to CA?

Not sure this is the right forum for my question, but here it is. Does anyone know of any serious competition to CA in their old genre (as opposed to the "new", Warhammer-like games) of history based military strategy games with real time battles? Just a TW veteran here looking to "scratch that itch" with something new. To be frank, Warhammer does not do it for me.

Meelis13's Avatar You fight like a cow!
    Citizen

Default Re: Any serious, good competition to CA?

wrong forum.
    Heidinn veor- dark age mod for M2TW now recruiting scripter/coder

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Not a review. Moved to other games
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

cjm81499's Avatar Biarchus

Age of Empires, both II and III are very fun in my opinion. 1 is good too, but not as good I don't think. They are very different from Total War but still good, RTS, and fun.
    "I have never advocated war, except as a means of peace." -Ulysses S. Grant

http://steamcommunity.com/id/cjm81499/ <--- my Steam profile (add me if you'd like)

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

I sometimes play AoE with a friends (2, HD), and then I realise that TW pathfinding actually is quite alright when you compare it to that

Keep an eye out for Ancient Empires.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    Not sure this is the right forum for my question, but here it is. Does anyone know of any serious competition to CA in their old genre (as opposed to the "new", Warhammer-like games) of history based military strategy games with real time battles? Just a TW veteran here looking to "scratch that itch" with something new. To be frank, Warhammer does not do it for me.
    There has been Knights of Honor (KoH). Medieval world strategy map with tactical battle mode.

Came out in the same year of RTW. Not sure if you can get it still, but it's very worth a try, especially superior strategical AI compared to RTW (and perhaps even to all Total War games, except the old MTW).

We had also a thread in this area here, surely very deep in the page numbers (maybe a search will put it up for you).

Or just google it.

Edit: (googled)

It's even on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/25830/?l=german
    ... but be careful with this Steam version, it's not patched.
    Better try to get it from another seller in a patched version.
    My own version is the original CD version in a box and patch has been available online.
    Btw., there were mods as well.
    Last edited by DaVinci; September 17, 2016 at 05:09 AM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

I have the same problem. Total war has not felt right for some time. It looks great until you zoom out, the combat no longer feels like unit combat. Total war is still a good game though. Still the best of it's kind. I like realism and history... total war has not improved on what it should have... such as mixing weapons and irregular formations for armies, supply lines etc for a long time. It has stagnated and become boring. Instead deciding to go the pure greed path that will get the most cash in the short term. I honestly hope something fills the gap. Perhaps because a separate team is now on a historical total war we will actually get some less gamey mechanics and some new realistic ones.. while the kiddies play warhammer.
    There are some alternatives I know of. But as you want better, I don't know about that.

Chinese version is something like kingdoms at war... Cannot actually remember name
    Hegemony is another series, but again amateur hour compared to total war
    Oriental empires is one to look out for as well
    Cossacks3 is more of an RTS than anything realistic but is old school enough to interest me slightly.. on the fence for this because they did not improve anything. No cannon crew, scaled down buildings, generic animations of troops stabbing each other in the back with bayonets etc.

Consider as well that ca is supposed to have a different team creating another historical total war.

Edit: Here it is, CHRONICLES OF THE THREE KINGDOMS

Hegemony

If you like ww2 I suggest combat mission final blitzkrieg in a similar vein. For which there is a demo. Lots of ww2 games coming along as well. Such as the tactical art of combat and close combat 3D.
    Last edited by Destraex; September 17, 2016 at 07:14 PM.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Graviteam Tactics Operation Star and it's sequal Mius Front. Turn based campaigns and real time combat Although the campaigns are not empire building games as Total War but in the context of an operational campaign. You should also have a look at Scourge of War Waterloo which has a sense of scale that makes the battle of Waterloo in Napoleon Total War laughable with also a sandbox campaign.

Back to Graviteam Tactics Operation Star and I must say it's the best realistic wargame I've played in ages it really is like going back to using tabletop minatures with a realistic set of rules. More realistic than Company of Heroes could ever hope to achieve if WW2 interests you and amongst the various addon dlc campaigns also has an Angolan War campaign set in 1989

herne have you played any of the newer combat mission games... they all have demos.

Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy
    Combat Mission: Red Thunder
    Combat Mission: Fortress Italy
    Combat Mission: Final Blitzkrieg
    Combat Mission: Black Sea

Last edited by Destraex; September 18, 2016 at 02:56 AM.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

eXistenZ's Avatar Praeses

Hegemony games are really poor, don't recommend them at all.

there is the Seven Years War, on steam, but its very difficult to find gameplay of it.

If you dont mind going oldskool Imperial Glory was released around the time of Empire

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

I wish they'd put the Combat Mission games on Steam or at least give some discounts. The Battlefront site has them but it's on the expensive side.
    Like Neverwinter Nights? Wondering where to go now that the old NWN Vault is gone? Come visit the new one at http://neverwintervault.org/!

Quote Originally Posted by Destraex View Post
    herne have you played any of the newer combat mission games... they all have demos.

Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy
    Combat Mission: Red Thunder
    Combat Mission: Fortress Italy
    Combat Mission: Final Blitzkrieg
    Combat Mission: Black Sea
    Thanks for the heads up i'll check them out in due course. Reading up about Combat Mission it started from an attempt to computerise Avalon Hills Advanced Squad Leader hex boardgame so it starts from a good heritage.

Imperial Glory uses the Risk style map of the first two TW titles but the lack of moral in the real time battles feels weird. If you just auto resolve you are better off just getting March of Eagles in thwe first place.

Can I also suggest Mount and Blade Warband and also the Viking Conquest dlc as alternatives. (Napoleonic Wars is multiplayer and With Fire and Sword is disqualified as it doesn't have any artillery pieces.)

Seven Years War is an interesting game with a real time campaign ala Paradox mixed with realtime battles ala TW. All designed and made by one person. There's a historical battle dlc coming out this month. There are some lets plays but not with the latest patch which was earlier this month.
    The game is currently 25% off on Steam right now.

The Close Combat series has a turn based campaign, with real time battles. It's old and clunky but really great especially The Longest Day.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

did I mention scourge of war waterloo. Cannot remember. Graphics and interface are horrible though.... Really really bad.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Would be nice if total war would get a real competitor. I think any succesfull game series needs that in order to stay sharp and keep pushing to improve. Whenever a franchise is unopposed, the developers or publishers tend to get lazy because it will sell anyways.

Thing is, if a competitor would come on the market, they would have to offer something new as well in addition to offering a similar experience to total war with the campaign map and battle map battles.

If it was a medieval game they could do that by adding moats and drawbridges as an option to castles and cities that are located near rivers. That would add a lot of new stuff to siege warfare. But most of all capturing the way battles worked in medieval 2 would be much appreciated since there they actually lasted quite a while and it allowed for more historical tactics. In later games its all more arcade-ish.

Customisation of generals could also be an interesting feature for a competitor to have. Being allowed to name new born family members, and customise their appearance when they come of age. Their face, eyecolor, hairstyle, facial hair, helmet and armor.
    Being able to assign them to a different focus when in a settlement could also allow them to do more aside from fighting wars. They could host banquets to improve relations with other factions, host tournaments to allow knights to be recruited with more experience, crack down on crime in case of civil unrest, etc.

Stronghold3 does a lot of that.

I had to refund both Warhammer and Charlamagne (last two TW releases I tried) due to generic-RTS like combat and lack of historicity.

Recently I had good fun (a lot more than recent Total War games) with Nobunaga's Ambition, Graviteam Tactics, Command Ops (no campaign in this one though), StarSector, Close Combat, Sengoku Jidai, AGEOD Wargames (no tactical battles) among others.

Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by prithupaul View Post
    Recently I had good fun (a lot more than recent Total War games) with Nobunaga's Ambition
    "Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence" is an excellent PC game with hundreds of historically correct officers, clans, a quest system and a beautiful map of Japan with Hokkaido.
    Battles are a bit bland, but at least they use mixed formations.
    They've recently announced an addon with even more goodness like officer play and sieges.
    My Mod:
    Shogun II Total Realism
    A realism mod for Shogun II, Rise of the Samurai and Fall of the Samurai

Quote Originally Posted by Destin Faroda View Post
    Battles are a bit bland, but at least they use mixed formations.
    Indeed. Also, compared to Total War, warfare in Nobunaga / ROTK series features realistic troop numbers, realistic marching times, logistics and even a basic army structure / OOB.

TBH if you ditch the requirements of real time battles then the gaming world is your strategy oyster...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast