Thread: Completely and utterly random crashing during AI turn.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Default Completely and utterly random crashing during AI turn.

I'll preface this by saying that Im hesitant to put this in technical support, because Im unsure if it's a glitch or a mod issue or what.

Basically, Im getting random crashes during the AI turn in a campaign. I will hit "End Turn" and as soon as it gets to a certain faction, it will crash. I've only had about two campaigns that lasted longer than a hundred turns, because the vast majority of my campaigns have been rendered unplayable due to these crashes. My problem is that there is no rhyme or reason to the crashes. It's never one AI faction that causes it, it's never on a consistent turn between campaigns, and I genuinely haven't a single clue as to what the cause could be.

I'll give an example of the latest one. I am playing as the Vampire Counts. It's turn 35. I have a lot of mods, but nothing that is incompatible really. I end the turn. The turn goes by normally until it gets to Estalia, and I get a crash. So I immediately checked my mods. I disabled everything that wasn't required to load the save. I use Radious and several unit mods compatible with Radious, as well as 4-tiered minor settlements and a building overhaul. With just these one, the turn went by fine. I eventually narrowed it down to the mod that was causing this crash, which was 33 New Skills for Lords. Okay, that's weird, I don't know why that was causing a crash, but without it on the turn went by fine.

Later in the same campaign. 33 Skills is still off, at about turn 54. Mousillon comes up, and then, crash. Once again, I disabled everything except for the unit and building mods required to load the save, and this time, it still crashes.

So I decided to see what the AI was doing. I loaded up a mod to disable the Fog of War, so I could watch Mousillon. About half their turn moves by normally, but as soon as they attempt to move an army near Marienburg (I believe) the game crashes. I can see no reason.

Out of curiosity, I reloaded the old save at turn 35, and as long as 33 Skills was disabled, I could still end the turn. So, I turned 33 Skills back on, disabled the Fog of War, and watched Estalia. Their turn went by normally, but as soon as they tried to move an agent around some seemingly empty area in Southern Estalia, the game crashes.

I genuinely have absolutely no clue why this is happening. I've had numerous campaigns end this way, and whenever I disable the Fog of War to see what is happening, it's always just the AI moving through an area of the map. Not the same area, and not the same faction, but always the same crash. Sometimes I can negate the crash by disabling some random mod, but sometimes it simply crashes regardless, but so far it has always gotten to the point where no matter what mod I disable, it always crashes. It seems like Estalia and Mousillon, and some others, might be prone to this more, because it seems like I've had this crash during their turns on more campaigns than others, but I've also had others as well, so I have no idea.

I've tried searching for the problem, but it seems like no one else has had this problem. Nothing I try works, I can see no possible reason for this to be happening. I've scoured the comments of basically every mod in my load order, and I've seen nobody talking about this. Has anyone experienced anything like this? Is it just me?

The absolute worst part is that I can't reasonably test this. I've had this crash happen on turn 13, and I've had this crash happen on turn 99. The only thing I can think of is to start a campaign totally vanilla, without any mods, but then I might be able to play for a hundred turns without ever seeing a crash, or I might not even be able to play for twenty!

I would like to see if other people can reproduce this crash. I've got the save, but in order to load it, someone would need to download a bunch of mods that Im using, and I don't want to ask anyone to go to all the trouble.

This is truly the most baffling crash I've ever had in any game.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Completely and utterly random crashing during AI turn.

moved to the Bug section
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Is this both before and after the last patch ?

I have never had any crashes at all before the latest patch (the hot fix for the latest DLC) but had 3 times already when playing newly started Chaos campaign. 2 after battle when loading back into campaign mode (different battles) and one when clicking one of the button of campaign map (the diplomacy button). All these three are non-reproducible though.

Otherwise, I been playing other previous campaigns flawlessly though without any crashes (as far as I can remember) for more than 200 turns each. Maybe your issue is hardware ? PC bit overheating maybe ?
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

No, it's been since the first patch for me. I haven't played since the newest patch just yet. My crashes aren't overheating, I can reproduce them at any time so long as I keep a save. I've been playing a Vampire Counts campaign so far, and haven't had any crashes at about 70 turns in so, hopefully removing a few more mods helped, although I see no reason why it would, since the mods shouldn't be causing crashes. It's very curious.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."