Thread: Kingdoms of the Sand

Default Kingdoms of the Sand

Kingdoms of the Sand

This is the first episode of my first Attila campaign, as the Lakhmids. Hard campaign difficulty.

The complete up-to-date YouTube playlist is here.

The Lakhmids were a Christian desert faction and a Sassanid client state that was continually at war with the Ghassanids - another Christian faction further to the west, that was a Roman client state. They start in the campaign with a single settlement, Hirah. The aim of this campaign is to conquer and pacify all of Arabia, uniting it under a common religion. Time will tell if King Al Nu'man will seek greater glory, should he succeed in this quest.

King Numan was patrolling the border with the Ghassanids when the Ghassanid king challenged him into battle at the end of game turn 1.

Great to see an aggressive AI when playing on hard difficulty, a refreshing change from the more passive AI in the Emperor Edition of Rome II. It is also nice to see that the battles are a little longer than in Rome II, even with the lightly armoured combatants around this area of the world.
    Last edited by Geoffrey of Villehardouin; October 03, 2016 at 04:48 PM.

Default Re: Kingdoms of the Sand

Episode 2

Arabia is in flames. Not only do the Gassanids not give up but stage continual rebellions, there are additional attacks from Arabian separatists based in Yathrib. And as if these two enemies were not enough to keep us busy, Himyar, an Arabian faction of the south declares war and marches an army to Hirah. As a result, our mutual allies, Persia and its vassals, appear to have broken their allegiance to both our factions. The only Arabian neutrals, Mazun, another vassal of the Sassanids, consistently refuse a trade agreement.

In the meantime, the governors left behind in Dumatha and Hirah, struggle to manage the economy. The state coffers are emptied to raise armies to defend the two cities from rebel raids, not too mention the continual need for repairing the buildings being damaged by the rebels. Al-Mundhir, the Lakhmid faction heir, even has to hire mercenaries at a high cost as the army of Himyar is approaching Hirah.

The Lakhmids have been abandoned almost to themselves by all their friends with the only trade partner being the Sassanids. King Numan weathers three rebellions by the Gassanids, then heads for Yathrib. Yathrib was a city once inhabited by a populous Jewish community, but now it has become a base of Arabian Separatists. Historically, it became the city of Medina. But here, Yathrib has been laid waste, and when King Nu'man reaches the city, it is a landscape of bleak desolation, deserted, devastated. Its ruins are still smouldering. Presumably one of the Arabian separatist rulers has razed it in revenge for who knows what - there is no one left alive to let us know what happened.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Moved to the Attila AARs forum
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Very well narrated- this is the first let's play I've seen that reads out like a proper AAR- you should consider a career in voice acting, book narration, or perhaps even acting.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

Episode 3

Many thanks Lugotorix for the kind words. For now I am trying to cope with my failing career as a M2TW modder.

It looks like my AAR has found a new home in the webpage of Attila AARs while our king was busy fighting off the rebel kings of Arabia.

We were left at that time when an army of Himyar was marching to Hirah, our capital. Our faction heir, Prince Al-Mundhir was at Hirah. He recruited all the mercenaries he could find and at a price, since the numerous wars had left few men still able to fight. He also conscripted all the men of Hirah who could fight and in doing so he emptied the state coffers. Still our enemy was vastly superior in numbers. Our inspector Waqahil that was keeping an eye on the approaching enemy failed once again to misdirect them and the army of Himyar invested Hirah.

Prince Al-Mundhir sallied out to meet the Himyarite army in battle but our enemy disappeared into the dusty veils of a sandstorm. Al-Mundhir did not dare to venture too far from Hirah but marched down the road and sure enough our enemy was there, too unsure themselves of straying away from the road into the vast desert during the blinding sandstorm. A glorious battle ensued. The hope of success was vested on sound strategy and the discipline of our men. The Himyarite infantry and cavalry attacked our lines and were pinned down in a bloody melee. This gave the freedom to our cavalry to sweep around their flanks and attack their cavalry and eventually their skirmishers who began to fall back when they saw that their lines were being outflanked. From then on, the fate of our enemy was sealed. The army of Himyar was destroyed.

In the meantime, King Nu'man had marched off from Yathrib southward into Arabia Felix, Arabia the Joyful, that was what the Greeks called the land now known as Yemen: Arabia Eudaemon, Arabia the Joyful. After force-marching his army through the Arabian desert for half a year, King Nu'man appeared before Zafar, one of the two main settlements of Himyar. It was payback time.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I agree with Lugotorix, your narration is excellent! I like the way that you do not move the camera too often, making it easier to follow what is happening. The charge downhill at about 4:28 in your first episode is particularly dramatic. The use of relatively short videos (under 10 minutes for your first episode) makes it easy to get into your AAR. I wonder if you would like to enter this AAR in the MAARC. It sounds like you are enjoying the active AI in this challenging campaign, starting with just one settlement.
    Last edited by Alwyn; September 17, 2016 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks for the kind words Alwyn. This is my first Attila campaign and I have no idea of how typical it is but the campaign AI has been reasonably challenging both in terms of aggressiveness and in terms of diplomacy. Struggling with the economy adds to the challenge of the campaign. All that is great and although I was only going to play a few turns at first, I have been enjoying this campaign enough to start an AAR. On the downside, I had some problems with getting Attila to look graphically ok for some of the factions but the Lakhmids look good.

Episode 4

Our economy is exhausted by the constant wars, public order is low and rebellions keep breaking out making a bad situation even worse. Gassanid rebels, this time led by a man called Alqama, once again attack Dumatha. They have superior numbers and even some armoured camel cavalry. Where did the rebels find such fine armour?

Starvation and famine set in. Our soldiers are deserting. There is only one way forward: the way to Eudaemon the rich capital of Himyar. In the meantime, our king must restore public order, quash the continual rebellions and wait for relief before he can march his army towards Eudaemon. Can relief arrive or will they perish in the vast Arabian desert, criss-crossed by rebels and enemy armies?

Episode 5:

Shebitqo's Rebellion

The rebellions in in the land of the Gassanids seem to have come to a lull. There must be too few men left alive for anyone to find enough men to stage another rebellion. Prince Al Mundhir moves from Hirah to Dumatha, freeing General Murthid to march down to Yathrib. After his arrival, General Jafnah, who was based at Yathrib heads off for Arabia Felix to relieve King Nu'man.

Continual rebellions have been breaking out around Zafar, especially in the borderlands towards Mazun. The first two rebellions are easily quashed but the rebels have caused both public unrest and food shortages. Only the arrival of General Jafnah can free up the army of King Nu'man, the Desert Scorpions, to campaign in Arabia Felix. Until then the rebels are gathering strength.

Episode 6

King Nu'man marches upon Eudaemon. Eudaemon is defended by the King of Himyar with a small army, in addition to the city's garrison and the marines of Himyar. The battle will decide the fate of Himyar.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

In part 5, I enjoyed the way that you explained the challenges which the Lakhmids face - diplomatic isolation, lack of food leading to attrition and constant rebellions. You tell the story of the negotiations with the kingdom to the south and the the battle with the army of Shebitquo well - the surprise attack by your light cavalry is devastating. In part 6, it is clear that King Nu'man has built a formidable army. In battles, I like the way that you show contrasting moments, such as moments of quiet as well as moments of action, and the peasants running to safety at the start of attack on Eudaemon, early on in part 6. Editing each chapter to around 10 to 20 minutes works well for me - it makes it easier to keep up with your story. With your well-executed narrative style, I wonder if you are demonstrating the future of video AARs.

This is a really interesting AAR! I like your narration that accompanies the video, as it really brings the world to life! Keep up the good work!

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

I haven't had time to watch all of this, but I've been enjoying it and - like Lugotorix - I particularly like the way you've made it into a tale of the people (and nations) involved.

Finally had time to watch through the videos. This is great stuff! Your commentary is on point. Using the Lion in episode 5, even if it's only for a few seconds and more or less random, is immersive and fits the atmosphere perfectly.

Thank you all so much for your comments and many many thanks to all who voted for my AAR in the LXVI MAARC! It is wonderful to win but I also feel that Waveman deserved the win, as he has made an enormous commitment on his AAR and has been consistent with updates. I really hope he wins with his For Honour or for Glory AAR on the next competition.

Congrats on your MAARC LXVI win! It was quite a tight competition, I must admit!