Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help on chaging some stuff

Default Help on chaging some stuff

Hello, I want to change some things about EB2 which I do not like and I was hoping someone here could tell me how to do it.

Where and how can I replace the new javelin throwing animations for the old vanilla ones?

And how can I enable killing moves again?

Default Re: Help on chaging some stuff

What you're asking to do is not a simple change; I'll leave it to Rafkos to explain re-enabling killing moves (and the bugs and performance issues that brings with it). But changing the javelin animations will require you to edit the modeldb entry for every unit affected. To identify those, look at the "soldier" line against their entry in the EDU.

Open the data\unit_models\battle_models.modeldb with Notepad++, search for the entry you need. Scroll right down to the bottom of that particular entry (eg for Euzonoi it's this):

Code:
    4 None 
    26 EB_Fast_Short_Javelin_Prec 
    22 EB_Fast_ShortSwordsman 
    18 EB_Javelin_primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    What you need to change is EB_Fast_Short_Javelin_Prec to one of the other javelin animations in the data\descr_skeleton.txt.

Repeat for every unit you want to alter - make sure you get their late models as well, for those with upgrades.

What bugs? Every other mod uses them and it's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pherion View Post
    What bugs? Every other mod uses them and it's fine.
    There are graphical glitches associated with some of them that we can't fix. And they reduce the performance of a unit, since they're wasting time doing moves that don't contribute to the overall success of the unit.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    There are graphical glitches associated with some of them that we can't fix. And they reduce the performance of a unit, since they're wasting time doing moves that don't contribute to the overall success of the unit.
    But it makes battles way more interesting to watch. Atleast that's why I'm always zoomed in when playing SS. To see the beautiful carnage unfold!

But nevermind, I lost interest on doing this. I'm instead going to take a really long brake from this mod, it has been getting on my nerves recently. But yea, thanks anyway.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

It always annoyed me in SS when they rampage a good two or four ranks into the enemy line and then get killed almost immediately afterwords during their kill animation.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Those animations are fun for a while when you first see them but then they get really old fast.

The newest TW games are a complete joke because of the way that new engine handles combat. Soldiers constantly get locked into Hollywood garbage animations and phase through everything around them.

Nope. I play medieval 2 since it came out, it never gets old. And the animations of the newer games are the best thing about them. That's whats fun for me, not in EB2 where everyone is just poking eachother and nothing happens.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    What you're asking to do is not a simple change; I'll leave it to Rafkos to explain re-enabling killing moves (and the bugs and performance issues that brings with it). But changing the javelin animations will require you to edit the modeldb entry for every unit affected. To identify those, look at the "soldier" line against their entry in the EDU.

Open the data\unit_models\battle_models.modeldb with Notepad++, search for the entry you need. Scroll right down to the bottom of that particular entry (eg for Euzonoi it's this):

Code:
    4 None 
    26 EB_Fast_Short_Javelin_Prec 
    22 EB_Fast_ShortSwordsman 
    18 EB_Javelin_primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 
    18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    What you need to change is EB_Fast_Short_Javelin_Prec to one of the other javelin animations in the data\descr_skeleton.txt.

Repeat for every unit you want to alter - make sure you get their late models as well, for those with upgrades.
    Quintus,

I found the Eunozoi entry in the EDU file, but I can't see where it corresponds to in the battle_models.modeldb file. There are several matches for "EB_Fast_ShortSwordsman".

Also, the descr_skeleton.txt file has several anim for javelin, e.g., stand_a_to_ready, stand_b_to_ready, and so on with several attack anim too. Which one should be used?

Thanks.

The only one you should be changing is EB_Fast_Short_Javelin_Prec if you want to change the javelin-throwing animation, not the second one. Note that's an animation-set, not an individual animation. For a knife/sword using unit MTW2_Fast_Javelin is the non-run-up animation.

So, if I change every "EB_Fast_Short_Javelin_Prec" to "MTW2_Fast_Javelin", then all units that can throw javelin will not run when they do? Will that affect horse javelins or catapults?

Quote Originally Posted by alpharomeo View Post
    So, if I change every "EB_Fast_Short_Javelin_Prec" to "MTW2_Fast_Javelin", then all units that can throw javelin will not run when they do? Will that affect horse javelins or catapults?
    Cavalry and artillery have entirely different animations, so will be unaffected.

After making the change, I get "unspecified error" when I start the game. I tried "MTW2_Javelin" instead of "MTW2_Fast_Javelin" too. Same error message. It must be more complicated to make this change.

Quote Originally Posted by alpharomeo View Post
    After making the change, I get "unspecified error" when I start the game. I tried "MTW2_Javelin" instead of "MTW2_Fast_Javelin" too. Same error message. It must be more complicated to make this change.
    What did you use to edit the file? Not Windows Notepad, I hope? You need a proper text editor, like Notepad++.

Thank you for helping, Quintus. I used Wordpad. Just tried Notepad++. Same error message.

BTW, my game does not generate the log file mods/ebii/logs/eb.system.log.txt as described in the installation notes. So I really don't know what is happening.

There are some numbers that you need to change in that file as well:

18 EB_Javelin_Primary

Those indicate the count of characters/letters this piece of code contains; since EB_Javelin_Primary is 18 characters long, that's why there's an 18 before. You need to replace this number as well, MTW2_Javelin should be 12 MTW2_Javelin and MTW2_Fast_Javelin should be 17 MTW2_Fast_Javelin. There are editors that make this easy to do (such as Notepad++). Once you get them right, M2TW should start without issues.
    DCI: Last Alliance: Unit maker. Proud member of The Imperial House of Hader

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Memory View Post
    There are some numbers that you need to change in that file as well:

18 EB_Javelin_Primary

Those indicate the count of characters/letters this piece of code contains; since EB_Javelin_Primary is 18 characters long, that's why there's an 18 before. You need to replace this number as well, MTW2_Javelin should be 12 MTW2_Javelin and MTW2_Fast_Javelin should be 17 MTW2_Fast_Javelin. There are editors that make this easy to do (such as Notepad++). Once you get them right, M2TW should start without issues.
    Thanks for that. I don't touch the modeldb myself, I do all my work in input XML files, then run a script to integrate them. However, we don't provide that with the release versions of EBII, so if you want to change them for yourself, you have to do it the hard way.

It worked!! Thank you I replayed my last battle and indeed the javelin units stayed put.

However, the infantry units with javelin as secondary weapon still move a little bit. Which entries should I change for those?
    Last edited by alpharomeo; September 26, 2016 at 11:50 PM.

Is possible to have a the old animation for stationary throw and the new one for offensive throw ?

Quote Originally Posted by betto View Post
    Is possible to have a the old animation for stationary throw and the new one for offensive throw ?
    Nope, you can only have one animation per attack type.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast