Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upcoming Server Enhancements

Default Re: Upcoming Server Enhancements

By stabbing the old guard in the back based merely on the assumption that new players will come along,you are not only showing a disregard for the traditional playerbase but also taking a huge risk.
    There is literally no risk here, as the server shuts down due to funding in the next few months anyway. Since there's nothing to lose, we might as well try something new. The old setup has been unappealing to new players, and apparently old players as well given their repeated lack of activity.

Instead of attracting new customers at the expense of old ones,you should be encouraging brand loyalty. You should give players greater incentives to come online more often and enforce harsher penalties for those who go offline for long periods of time.You aren't doing yourself or anybody else any favours by turning your back on the traditional playerbase.
    Seriously, stabbing the old guard in the back? If the old guard wanted to be catered too, the old guard should play. However since the old guard do not play, they won't be given something for free for an eternity at someone else's expense, especially since it just goes unused. We are currently on map number seven, and the last truly successful (survived more than a few months) map was way back on Map two. When it comes to this community, collectively almost a year of peoples' time has been sunk into doing what you are saying which was in the end a total waste (I am referring to the Towny Map and Adventure world). Due to all of this, I am sorry but the old players cannot be relied upon because they are not interested in minecraft for anything but the nostalgia, and it dies out very quickly.

Regarding the idea of punishing players for inactivity, this has been done before w/ Faction upkeep. It was both very unsuccessful and extremely unpopular.

There's already dozens of servers that pride themselves on multiverses and cutting-edge plugins,so why would anybody choose this one over the rest?
    As for why someone would choose this server over any other, its because we have tons of history, unique mechanics, and an unique experience. We have spent months building brand new plugins/scripts, that literally do not exist anywhere else.

We should instead be placing a greater emphasis on the traditional foundations of this server; realism,roleplay,alliance-building and warfare.
    I wish I could say any of those things (besides the realism perhaps) exists on our server anymore, but I can't. In reality it is now a survival faction build server. The changes we are making however will seriously increase roleplay options, and warfare.

We need a renaissance,not a revolution.
    We need a new player base, as the old one just doesn't play minecraft anymore. I'm sorry to say this is the case, but after five restarts all attempting this renaissance and all of them dieing to inactivity not long after, its not even close to debatable at this point. Things need to change, and since we've only a few months left of funding we might as well make changes. It can't get any worse.

I'd just like to express my support for Ditronian's work. While many people some of whom don't even play express their opposition to new changes, he's been spending a lot of his time trying to revive a server that as he said hasn't really been active since map 2. If the "old guard" cares so much for the server then maybe they should return and stay for more than 2-3 weeks...
    This community was never that big at it's begin and if nothing's done it will only diminish to the point of extinction. I'd much rather focus our efforts in making new players join our server than try to recover it's old player base, for most of those persons, minecraft is a thing of the past, something that as Ditronian said they might play today for nostalgia but that will soon be lost. We need a new player base that sees minecraft as a game of the present, not as something of the past. Sure, some might say that we might not be able to find new players, maybe they are right but at least we're trying... As Ditro said there's nothing to lose.
    While I don't agree with him in everything he has my respect for trying to improve things, I think most people don't realize how much time he has spent making new unique stuff for the server. Also a word of respect to Elite that although not being that much active on the server nowadays still helps by creating new plugins and paying a share of the monthly costs.

Those that want to see the server succeed should not only join this discussion but actually try to contribute in however they can to make the server great again.

ps: We're also not changing the game mechanics as much as some seem to think we are, the server will have a main map that will basically be what we always had, we are only making it smaller to encoraje more conflict. Also people always complained on how they lose their bases on map restart, by adding multiverse we're preventing this from ever happening again. I'd see the changes more as an improvement to what the server was always about than a "revolution".
    Last edited by ForteS; November 08, 2016 at 07:31 AM.

UNDER THE MOST HONORABLE PATRONAGE OF: Legio!
    PATRON OF: Wangrin, ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔, Geronimo2006 and Narf!

Quote Originally Posted by ForteS View Post
    I'd just like to express my support for Ditronian's work. While many people some of whom don't even play express their opposition to new changes, he's been spending a lot of his time trying to revive a server that as he said hasn't really been active since map 2. If the "old guard" cares so much for the server then maybe they should return and stay for more than 2-3 weeks...
    This community was never that big at it's begin and if nothing's done it will only diminish to the point of extinction. I'd much rather focus our efforts in making new players join our server than try to recover it's old player base, for most of those persons, minecraft is a thing of the past, something that as Ditronian said they might play today for nostalgia but that will soon be lost. We need a new player base that sees minecraft as a game of the present, not as something of the past. Sure, some might say that we might not be able to find new players, maybe they are right but at least we're trying... As Ditro said there's nothing to lose.
    While I don't agree with him in everything he has my respect for trying to improve things, I think most people don't realize how much time he has spent making new unique stuff for the server. Also a word of respect to Elite that although not being that much active on the server nowadays still helps by creating new plugins and paying a share of the monthly costs.

Those that want to see the server succeed should not only join this discussion but actually try to contribute in however they can to make the server great again.

ps: We're also not changing the game mechanics as much as some seem to think we are, the server will have a main map that will basically be what we always had, we are only making it smaller to encoraje more conflict. Also people always complained on how they lose their bases on map restart, by adding multiverse we're preventing this from ever happening again. I'd see the changes more as an improvement to what the server was always about than a "revolution".

ps2: If anyone's whiling to help with the server maintenance fell free to ask for the donations link.
    I completely agree with you. Whenever a new map comes out people relive the nostalgia for about a week then get bored because there is nothing else to do. Almost every other server in minecraft has multiverse and the other changes that he is suggesting would make the server far more interesting that it is now

Quote Originally Posted by The_Nerd_Gamer View Post
    I reckon that I might as well express my strong feelings against these plans.By stabbing the old guard in the back based merely on the assumption that new players will come along,you are not only showing a disregard for the traditional playerbase but also taking a huge risk.Though I perfectly understand your concerns over the financial sustainability of the server,what you're proposing here seems to be very bad business.Instead of attracting new customers at the expense of old ones,you should be encouraging brand loyalty. You should give players greater incentives to come online more often and enforce harsher penalties for those who go offline for long periods of time.You aren't doing yourself or anybody else any favours by turning your back on the traditional playerbase.If anything,you're risking everything based on speculation.There's already dozens of servers that pride themselves on multiverses and cutting-edge plugins,so why would anybody choose this one over the rest? We should instead be placing a greater emphasis on the traditional foundations of this server; realism,roleplay,alliance-building and warfare.We need a renaissance,not a revolution.I hope that this appeal of mine won't fall on deaf hears.Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this,I sincerely hope that you consider the content of this post before making this all-important decision.
    Because you're playing so much and you're so loyal, yes? As the oldest of the old guard, I stand with Ditro.

Our current model is untenable, and Fortes sums it up pretty well.

Also, I strongly want to call out the language used - saying Ditro has stabbed the community in the back or some such. This is not some sort of total seizure of the server or an abrupt shutting down of it. Being stabbed in the back, incase you've already forgotten, is definitely NOT what Ditro is doing, and you need only look at our community's history to see actual examples of betrayal.

Ditro deserves nothing but our respect and support with what he's trying to accomplish with these changes. Where are the old players you're talking about? They're not posting on this forum, and they're certainly not playing right now. These plugins are what might just be what entices the old guard to come back anyways in addition to attracting new players, rather than having such a vanilla game experience that by now we can agree seems to have become stale and fails to really capture the attention of would be new players. Additionally, we've tried harsher penalties for not staying online. It doesn't change the fact that minecraft is ultimately a game and people have responsibilities that will always trump it. Harsh penalties only mean their desire to return to the game will be diminished since they've lost whatever progress or status has been achieved, and has the snowball effect of pushing players away if their busy-but-good friends are punished for not being available because they have things to do. They'll just pack up and leave to a more casual server they can play when everyone's around.
    Last edited by The Guy With No Imagination; November 07, 2016 at 08:48 PM.

Here's an update on a few of the things we've been working on.

Banking: More of the economy scripts have been completed, which has resulted in a slight change to the economy mechanics to address Fortes' personal money concerns. All mining and NPC mission rewards on the PvP Map will now be issued to you in an alternate currency (aka Credits). Credits can then be converted into dollars at the safezone Banker. Your wallet will continue to be in dollars, and will work in the exact same manner as before and will not be stealable. When executing the /money command, the command will also now display how many credits you have on your person (if you have any). This change allows players to maintain their own secure money accounts (as opposed to mandatory faction depositing), whilst still having the risk of losing unconverted earnings on the PvP map.

Spawn Protection: I have created a script that provides players limited invulnerability from damage upon player respawn. Players will now be notified upon receiving Spawn Protection, and upon losing it or attempting to attack a player with said protection. This invulnerability lasts until the player: A. Damages another player, B. Opens a chest or furnace, or C. Moves more than 3 times (jumping counts). This script is designed to take steps towards the automatic prevention of Spawn Killing cases, however does have some limitations. At the present there is no way for the script to tell the difference between the player moving of his own volition, and an enemy player pushing him. This means any player found to be pushing a player in order for him to lose spawn protection, will still be subject to the existing spawn killing rules, and likely face harsher punishment. In a nut-shell this script prevents accidental spawn-killing only, and non-determined intentional ones.

Factions Plugin /F Neutral Fix: Using scripts I have now created a fix for the /f Neutral problem we have been faced with since the start of the map. Apart for some cosmetic changes (messages you receive during the process), both sides now have to confirm /f neutral status to end a war. On an unrelated note, claiming chunks is now script blocked on worlds other than the PvP Map, and your faction's HQ World.

Assassin Guild Minor Update: Upon successfully killing your target in an Assassination mission, you receive the Target's head as a bonus reward.

Explorer Guild Minor Update: The Explorer Guild script is under way, and at present can select a random location on the PvP Map as a destination for the Mission taker. Ideas for missions are still being fleshed out, but can include having to find/excavate a buried item, scuba dive to the ocean floor (if location is in the water), possibly fight some kind of mob (no guarantee here), or just having to get to the location. If you've got any ideas for this one we are all ears.

Get hype?

Here is the next batch of updates!

Events and the Event Script: One of my side projects has reached completion, and so I am now happy to say that we will be making every effort to hold regular (ie weekly) events on the server. For those of you who played on my siege server in the past, we will be integrating a similar setup into the server to ensure everyone has the option to partake in a fun siege on the weekends. To greatly simplify the process over the old setup, I have created a script to automatically handle the joining and leaving of the event, and some aspects of the event itself. To give you an idea of how all of this works, here is a step by step guide of the process.

1. Staff sets up an event, which broadcasts a server announcement letting all players know an event has been started, and asks them to do /join if they wish to participate.
    2. Players do /join, which then narrates back to Staff their request to join.
    3. Staff then assigns each player that did /join to the appropriate team (attackers/defenders)
    4. Upon being assigned a team, the event script saves the player's: inventory/equipment, manpower, and location. It then clears the player's inventory, and teleports them to the team's spawn.
    5. Whilst in the event, players may now execute the command /kit [diamond,iron,chain,leather] once every 3 minutes. This gives them a full kit of the chosen type.
    6. If a player dies whilst in the event, their respawn will automatically be redirected back to their team's spawn.
    7. Upon the event's ending (or whenever the player wants), the players do /leave. This clears their inventory of event items, teleports them back to their original location, and restores their original items and manpower.

Return of the Server Jail: As opposed to temp bans, the server will be returning to the use of a server jail. Via a new jail script, players will be hauled off to the server jail for minor infractions that do not warrant a full ban. Whilst in jail you may or may not be allowed to chat (depending on the command used to jail you), but can still execute commands such as '/jailtime' (checks how much time remains on your jailing). Like the event script, the jail script saves your location/inventory at the time of your jailing, and restores them on its expiration. Attempts to escape via /kill will redirect your spawning back into the jail, and your manpower will not be restored upon its expiration. In the event you are offline when the jail command is executed, the script will not commence until your next login.

Safezone Quests: With the help of Clarky and Aanker, the very first Safezone NPCs are underway. Some of these NPCs are being created as part of specific Quests for player's to enjoy, and others just to add life into the Safezone. More to come on this as it develops further.

I am currently looking at doing some form of preview for several of these scripts on the server (ie event script and pvp scripts), at some point during the next few weeks.
    Last edited by Ditronian; November 15, 2016 at 01:46 PM.

Using Nerva's words:

Quote Originally Posted by Nerva
    This is great Dit!

Quote Originally Posted by Ditronian View Post
    Due to all of this, I am sorry but the old players cannot be relied upon because they are not interested in minecraft for anything but the nostalgia, and it dies out very quickly.
    Well, in our defense, people like me can make a good faith effort to participate but keep getting sidetracked by real life commitments.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the weekly events.

Cryers-'s Avatar Semisalis

not a bump

You want people to play?

Get off community killing TWC and go to Reddit. It's literally that simple.

Right now we are planning on holding a preview on December 3rd/4th, featuring the new pvp mechanics and event scripts. Actual server relaunch date will be approximately Dec 27th. For the relaunch, all players will login in the safezone tutorial area for their first login. More to come as things develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Consul Napoleon Bonaparte View Post
    You want people to play?

Get off community killing TWC and go to Reddit. It's literally that simple.
    Last edited by Ditronian; November 23, 2016 at 07:48 PM.

When you say relaunch, will the map be reset?

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Well, in our defense, people like me can make a good faith effort to participate but keep getting sidetracked by real life commitments.
    This is why I was unable to stay after the relaunch, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Beny1995 View Post
    When you say relaunch, will the map be reset?
    Everything in the OP will be implemented. The current main world will be replaced with a much smaller pvp map, and any existing build on the current map can be used to form a HQ world going forward.

A build from map 2 (or any other previous map that can be found), or a seed of your choice can also be chosen instead.

I intend to start the process of setting up said HQ worlds after this coming weekend's preview.

Server Pre-launch Preview

This Saturday marks the begining of the Server Pre-launch Preview! The main focus of the preview will be to showcase several of the new scripts/plugins that have been created for the upcoming server relaunch, along with having some fun sieges on various permanently loaded event worlds. The first siege on the books will be starting at 1700 GMT (1100 CST) on Saturday, and will be taking place on the slopes of Ervingur at the Dwarven Fortress of Skyspear. Grab a friend or two and check out the new armor/bow plugins, whilst having fun taking over defended forts and castles of the distant past.

Suggestions regarding additional forts to siege from map two (or any other map we can get our hands on) are also open.

To get an idea of what the events will be like, they will be similar to this. Unlike the previous siege server however, there will be much more automation involved thanks to scripts.

Hope to see you all there!

Nerva's Avatar Ordinarius

I will try to be there!

Mike92574's Avatar Tiro
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I'll probably be there too.

Finally had a chance to read through (most) of the new features and points presented. I'm liking what I'm seeing, and will definitely give it a shot when we get to release. Any ETA in that regards, by the way?

We're aiming at the last week of December.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast