Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upcoming Server Enhancements

Default Re: Upcoming Server Enhancements

Server Update

Spawn Mechanics: Due to incompatibility between the event script, and our previous bed spawn plugin, we have removed the plugin and created our own scripts to handle the setting of one's spawn. Now players will be able to set their spawn at will inside claims owned by their faction, by doing the /setspawn command. Players not in a faction, or in factions without land claims, will be the only ones able to set their spawn in the wilderness on the PvP Map only. In the event a player dies without a set spawn, they will return to the Safezone Tutorial area spawn.

New PvP Map Chosen: Staff has recently chosen the incoming PvP Map (credited to Sabbas Aperus), and we have generated the Dynmap and begun working on adding several RPG additions to the map. The new map is custom painted, and full of grandiose landscapes and hidden content to explore. If this wasn't enough, we have almost completed rolling out of the new Capture Point system, which I will cover in more detail shortly. Feel free to check out the new map's dynmap here, and don't forget to view it out in 3d!

Capture Point System: Via scripts, we have created an automated Capture Point system where factions can fight for control over money giving structures in real-time (no wars required). Each Capture Point is manned by a host of custom skinned (credit to Aanker for skins) NPCs, that will defend the Point from all players other than the current owning faction. Once a NPC of any Capture Point is attacked, a server-wide notification is sent out informing all players of the attack on that CP. Upon fighting you way to the CP's Lord, you will be able to start the process of capturing the CP, and in the process send out another server-wide notification. After 5 minutes (could change due to balancing), if the player who initiated the capture is within 7 blocks of the CP Lord, the CP will be captured by his/her faction, and all NPC defenders will change ownership. If you would like to see these NPCs in action, feel free to contact me if I am on steam and we can see about a 'demonstration' at our test CP (Shiverkeep).

You may see the Capture Point names/locations via the tower icons on the PvP Map dynmap, and some screenshots of the specific points here.
    Last edited by Ditronian; December 06, 2016 at 10:21 PM.

From what I can see in the pictures, there seems to be about 3-4 NPCs guarding a CP at any point. Would it be possible to "reinforce" NPC garrisons with more NPCs, at the cost of cash? For those concerned about the defensibility of CPs against larger factions, and just a neat way to spend one's money, I suppose. Could potentially extend it to garrisons for the HQ worlds, but that might be out of the scope of what you had in mind. Anyways, thanks for the preview! Its looking swell so far!

Capture Points have 13 NPCs in total, and to have a reasonable chance of taking one (without any other players involving themselves) you will need at least 3 well equipped players and a decent amount of tactics/patience. That being said, Capture Points are supposed to change hands, as we do not want to add a mechanic that is only for larger factions with lots of activity to enjoy. If you want to hold them for long periods, you will need to setup shop in the area and/or actively defend them. We've had more than a few attacks consisting of 3 or more players end in multiple deaths if not loss of all hands. Its very easy to be overwhelmed by the NPC defenders, and once you lose numbers you can easily find yourself trapped in the point you were trying to take.

Adding in hire-able NPC guards for your own claims/Faction HQs is on the To Do list. The plugin handling the Capture Point NPCs was actually built with this functionality in mind. We just need scripts made to handle the process automatically, since I'm not a fan of using moderation for such purposes if I can code in an alternative.
    Last edited by Ditronian; December 07, 2016 at 11:03 PM.

Homestretch Update!

Safezone Shops Update: The safezone shops are now nearly completed, and thus I have a bit more details on player customization. As said previously, players will be able to purchase, pay rent on, and sell safezone shops automatically through interacting with that shop's npc (staff may be required to alter the shop's sign, tbd). Once bought the owning faction's players will have control over the shop NPC's name, and character skin. In addition to this the player will be able to configure the NPC to shout custom proximity messages to players walking past (for market stalls), and greeting messages for players who enter their store (for actual stores). Dynmap markers for owned shops is being considered.

Environmental/Situational Effects: We have created scripts for, and have begun testing various new environmental/situational effects for the server. Barring any sudden issues arising, the server will now include temperature mechanics that can cause rapid hunger loss and increased starvation damage in various situations (with methods to counteract them).

High Altitude Cold
    : Upon reaching an altitude of 180 blocks (140 in cold biomes/204 in the Safezone world), a player will fall under the cold effects for high altitude cold. Upon reaching the applicable altitude, the player will begin to lose hunger at the rate of half a drumstick every two seconds. This effect can be counteracted through the following means: donning leather armor, moving near a heat source (torches and lava), or seeking shelter (ie have any block other than air/leaves between your head and the height limit).

Snowstorm Cold
    : This effect is very similar in function to the High Altitude Coldness, however is brought about in a different way. Instead of being controlled by altitude, this cold effect is controlled by weather. Should the player be located in a snow (aka not rain) weather biome and it begins to snow, that player will fall under the Snowstorm cold effect. As before, this effect may be countered in the same manner as Altitude Cold.

Overheating
    : Overheating is an effect solely targeting leather armor wearers in hot biomes (Mesa/Desert). Foolishly wearing leather in these hot environments will reduce a player's movement speed to a crawl, and bring about the above hunger drain/faster starvation. This effect may be countered by removing said leather armor, and I will likely add in a similar shelter mechanic at a later time.

Sinking
    : Sinking is another effect solely targeting a specific armor, in this case to simulate iron armor's weight. If an iron armor wearer decides to go scuba diving, his oxygen bar will be immediately depleted and will thus shortly thereafter begin taking normal drowning damage. This effect may be countered by not jumping into a lake wearing an iron suit. A similar effect for chainmail or diamond is being considered.
    Last edited by Ditronian; December 13, 2016 at 10:05 PM.

I really like this PVP capture the point idea, its less time consuming as you only (from what i've quikly read) need armour to capture that point and you don't need to heavily infest in roleplaying/building your base, I'le defenitly return to check this smaller map out and have some pvp fights. What exactly are you able to customize in your small PVP base on the map? Are you able to plant flags, open chests to put stuff in?

Also love the idea of computer NCP's addition.

Also the other additions of armour and Environmental changes are really well found, I don't know who came up with that but is a cool find.

To be fair, I do like most of the updates and it almost feel like its a complete RPG-styled Minecraft experience, i don't want to know how much time it has taken to come up with all these things, some are really well found and its weird they haven't been used before. The Banking think; the creddits you get that ppl can take from you, I love that, same with the Assasin guild thing, gives much extra depth in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ditronian View Post
    Everything in the OP will be implemented. The current main world will be replaced with a much smaller pvp map, and any existing build on the current map can be used to form a HQ world going forward.

A build from map 2 (or any other previous map that can be found), or a seed of your choice can also be chosen instead.

I intend to start the process of setting up said HQ worlds after this coming weekend's preview.
    I didn't really understand this part. Will there be a new way smaller map? I personally would like this, and maybe Benz his idea fits with it.

TL;DR; I like almost all of the ideas, makes Minecraft in a RPG game I didn't thought was possible, the only problem I see is players. I don't think you should be sticking to the ''old guard'', that's dead, but with all that effort you put into it you need players to get it actually working, I wonder how you will be getting those, but I really hope you will get them.

Edit: the PVP map looks absolutely insane. Level of detail, omg. I have been staring at it for like 10 minutes already while I got my exams on monday. How will this work, will you only earn money of those places and will you be able to buy armour etc with that money, will you be able to use chests in those places/flags, like I said before in the post
    Last edited by Diglytron; December 18, 2016 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by djehoety View Post
    I really like this PVP capture the point idea, its less time consuming as you only (from what i've quikly read) need armour to capture that point and you don't need to heavily infest in roleplaying/building your base, I'le defenitly return to check this smaller map out and have some pvp fights. What exactly are you able to customize in your small PVP base on the map? Are you able to plant flags, open chests to put stuff in?
    Yep, we wanted the Capture Point system (and most of the things we are adding) to be pickup and play, to get away from all the server's activities requiring a very large time commitment and lots of activity (ie wars). If everything on the server requires activity to get any fun of, it dis incentivizes people to play when that activity isn't around. Claims on the PvP Map function is mostly the same way as claims off the PvP Map (aka your HQ World if you have one), with the only real difference being they can be annexed in war. We discussed removing the PvP protections of claims on the PvP Map, however it turns out Factions lacks the ability to to turn on pvp in claims, so this plan has been tabled until someone can kill the appropriate bit of code in the plugin.

Also the other additions of armour and Environmental changes are really well found, I don't know who came up with that but is a cool find.
    With the server's new scripting engine, its not very hard for me to create stuff like this. If we had more time between now and launch I'd likely be making stuff like diseases right now.

To be fair, I do like most of the updates and it almost feel like its a complete RPG-styled Minecraft experience, i don't want to know how much time it has taken to come up with all these things, some are really well found and its weird they haven't been used before. The Banking think; the creddits you get that ppl can take from you, I love that, same with the Assasin guild thing, gives much extra depth in the game.
    The new scripting engine is crazy powerful and relatively easy to use. I can only imagine what the likes of Remlap, dewy, and the other actual programmers could've come up with had the engine been around back then.

I didn't really understand this part. Will there be a new way smaller map? I personally would like this, and maybe Benz his idea fits with it.
    Yes, the pvpmap is about 1.5% the size of the last map. That being said, those factions who wish to port past builds may do so utilizing the incoming Faction HQ system (establishing the costs and specific details is to be done this week). Faction HQs are small worlds that can serve as a faction's base of operations, however do come with cons over claims on the pvpmap. The main con of a HQ world, is that you cannot make money on them and so said factions will still require pvpmap operations. Mining blocks on a HQ world doesn't give any sort of payment, and doesn't drop any ore blocks. This exists to cement the PvPMap as the place where all the money comes from (with a couple small exceptions). Risk vs Reward is now a recurring theme on the server.

TL;DR; I like almost all of the ideas, makes Minecraft in a RPG game I didn't thought was possible, the only problem I see is players. I don't think you should be sticking to the ''old guard'', that's dead, but with all that effort you put into it you need players to get it actually working, I wonder how you will be getting those, but I really hope you will get them.
    In the past the server experience was all about 'politics' and 'wars', and that was essentially it. The problem with just focusing on those two, is that it takes a long time for the vast majority of new players to experience either of those two things. If you want new players to invest the time to get that far, we need to give them a reason to. As mentioned before, everything we're adding is pickup and play. The incoming safezone is being populated with NPCs galore, we have a tutorial that explains all the different aspects to the server, and NPC quest missions that can be started 5 minutes after logging in for the first time. What hopefully this all leads up to is an experience for new players that kicks off at the get go, rather than a promise of 'if you stick around for a couple of weeks you might get to see some non vanilla minecraft!'.

Edit: the PVP map looks absolutely insane. Level of detail, omg. I have been staring at it for like 10 minutes already while I got my exams on monday. How will this work, will you only earn money of those places and will you be able to buy armour etc with that money, will you be able to use chests in those places/flags, like I said before in the post
    I haven't really gone into detail on the 'flags' on the PvP Map yet because they are a work in progress, and are looking like they will be released post launch. In a nut-shell each of the flags on the dynmap are NPC areas on the PvP Map, with the color of the flag denoting the proposed NPC area difficulty (blue, green, yellow, orange, red). Once fully loaded, we intend for hostile NPCs to give you a money reward on death, and to tie several of those NPC areas into server-wide story arcs. In the meantime we're focused on naming them, and protecting them with worldguard regions prior to launch.

I am actually very much looking forward to launch, since it means we can start working more on these areas. With our scripting engine, I could very easily see Content Staff becoming one of the largest and most important bodies of staff in the future. If anyone has free time, wants to create cool NPCs and stuff and has a desire to learn, hit me up because its not that hard to get into.
    Last edited by Ditronian; December 18, 2016 at 12:31 PM.

Final Update!

Faction HQs: The process and costs for Faction HQs have been finalized, and the first HQ for the Dwarves has been completed. We are now open to requests for the making of additional HQs, for those factions who meet the pre-launch requirements. In order to have a HQ setup PRE-launch, your faction must be on the last map and have $25000 in the Faction Bank, or in faction members' wallets. Now I will get into the gritty details, such as cost and size upgrade options.

The initial buying of a Faction HQ costs $25000, and provides a faction with their own world with a usable space of 256 x 256 blocks. For those who want more space, two expansions can be purchased either immediately on creation or at any point afterwards. The first of the two expansions costs an additional $50000 and expands the world from 256 x 256 to 768 x 768 blocks. For those seeking even MORE space, the final expansion costs $100000, expanding the world to 1280 x 1280 blocks.

HQ Worlds can be built from any existing TWC/MCC build/map that we have access to, and the requester must satisfy staff that they have blessing of original builders in situations where the requester isn't among them. If you would like to pull from a fresh map seed of your choice, this is also acceptable and you will just need to provide staff with the seed and center coordinates for your world border. Should you wish to utilize a non TWC/MCC/Random Generated map, you must unequivocally prove to staff that you have the permission of its creator, and then submit the request and map to staff for consideration. No such map is guaranteed to be allowed, even if permission to use is established, as we will also be harshly considering it for potential balance issues etc. More on the balance issue in the next topic.

If you think your faction meets the pre-launch money requirements and would like a HQ world setup, please contact myself, Fortesgt, or Aanker and we will look into it.

Resources/Money Transferring:
    Due to concerns over balance and fairness, money and resources in chests shall be wiped from all players/builds being transferred to the new launch with very few exceptions. In the case of resources, this is primarily to prevent players from throwing down $25000 to create a HQ World and potentially gain hundreds of thousands of dollars worth in old pvp kits, diamonds, etc. HQ World transferring exists to allow the continuation of builds, not to confer PvP advantage beyond the build itself. On the monetary front, previous balances will not be transferring over. The main reason for this is the complete shakeup of the economy, which means there will inevitably be a lot of tweaking and balancing in the future. The act of balancing the new economy is made more difficult should the remnants of the past economy be ported over, so it will only be of use towards creating pre-launch HQ Worlds, and purchasing their space upgrades.

Tutorials:
    Thanks mostly to the hard work of Fortesgt, we now have a fully setup server tutorial which everyone will see right on their first spawn. The tutorial uses a series of NPCs to provide explanations for both items of the old server which we all know, and also all of the new incoming mechanics such as Capture Points, Events, and climate effects. In many cases fully completing tutorial guides will confer a small reward upon the player which will help him/her in getting started.

As we tie up the last couple of remaining loose ends, I just want to thank Fortesgt, Aanker, and Clarky for all the hard work they've put in towards getting us to this point. Happy Holidays everyone!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123